As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIMBO: If you don't buy this on Steam, I will feed you to the spider

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
I can't believe there's no thread for this.
limbo-tp.jpg

In-game preview

Interview with the producer

Limbo is a visually striking horror platforming/puzzle game for XBLA. It just reeks of atmosphere. The backstory is vague, but we are given hints that a boy is uncertain about his sister's fate and so he enters limbo to find her.

I need this in my god damn life.

So how do the critics like it?

It currently has a 92 on Metacritic, meaning Universal Acclaim.

Gamer Limit - 10/10

It might not have the length or volume of content that other excellent titles like Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption have, but pound for pound, Limbo is the best game I have played all year.

Joystiq - 5 stars/5

Dark, disturbing, yet eerily beautiful, Limbo is a world that deserves to be explored.

Giant Bomb - 5 stars/5

Limbo has a transportive quality that's hard to articulate. It so expertly realizes both its internal gameplay logic and its prevailing aesthetic that it almost creates a sort of reverie as you play, fully removing you from your physical environment and plopping you into this cold, mesmerizing other land. Though you'll find it's a tough place to survive, it might also be one you're in no hurry to leave behind. The game is a masterpiece.

Destructoid - 10/10

Limbo is as close to perfect at what it does as a game can get. It's artistic without being pompous, difficult without being cheap, and violent without being gratuitous. It gets everything just right.

Games Radar - 10/10

If you like clever game design, intelligent horror, or well-realised artistry, you really have to play through Limbo. It's an immaculate production, as close to perfect as it gets, and it will stay with you for a very long time.

GameSpot - 9/10

Thoughtful puzzles and striking aesthetics make Limbo a cerebral adventure you must experience.

1Up - B/A

Still, while it stumbles to pull everything together, Limbo is short and certainly worth experiencing, if for nothing else, than to see this beautiful, two-tone world yourself.

So, very few outliers when it comes to critics, and even then there are no bad reviews. There are a lot of other perfect scores I didn't post here because I am a lazy sonuvabitch. Go get it!

This game is out on Steam, Xbox 360 Live Arcade, and PSN.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been looking for a release date but I guess so far it's unknown. All I can find is "sometime in 2010". Hope it's a summer release!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow this looks hawt :shock:

Thanks for posting, never heard of it!

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-limbo/17-2852/

It's a Summer of Arcade game, so it'll be out in the next few weeks.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been following this a bit too. It looks great.

It's part of the Summer of Arcade, no? I watched giantbomb's quick look yesterday, and I think they mentioned it releasing possibly in August. No firm date still, but it should definitely be out in the next two months.

EDIT: Thanks Mr. G, heh.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I looks pretty cool but the jerk in me doesn't like it cause it screams "Oh look at me! I am a game but art!"

I do like the shadowy fear but not so much the I can't tell what is what between grass or spikes.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, finally. I've been waiting for this for a long, long time.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, since like, 2006

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I looks pretty cool but the jerk in me doesn't like it cause it screams "Oh look at me! I am a game but art!"

I do like the shadowy fear but not so much the I can't tell what is what between grass or spikes.

I'm not so concerned with the "art" as I am with the atmosphere. Even in that short preview it just drips with creepy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This is probably a thing that YouTube doesn't help, it'll probably be way easier to make out what's what on a TV.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »

This is probably a thing that YouTube doesn't help, it'll probably be way easier to make out what's what on a TV.

Especially hi-def TVs.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huh. I thought we did have a Limbo thread somewhere. I'm in on this day one, anyhow.
    Cantido wrote: »
    Yeah, the proof of concept for it was way back. I was thoroughly surprised to see it again when it popped back up.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Huh. I thought we did have a Limbo thread somewhere. I'm in on this day one, anyhow.
    Cantido wrote: »
    Yeah, the proof of concept for it was way back. I was thoroughly surprised to see it again when it popped back up.

I did a search and nothing popped up. Hope I didn't just miss one.

My favorite thing is that when you're in pitch black areas, you can still see the boy's white eyes and hear his heavy breathing as he runs.

My least favorite thing is that there are apparently spiders in this game.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was beginning to think this was vaporware! Excellent look. I hope the gameplay lives up to it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Unfortunately this means the game will be 1200 points ($15) as all Summer of Arcade games this year are that price. The game looks awesome, but if it's not nice and long, I'll wait till it's on sale.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh God the spider D:

cr0w on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since Braid? *sigh*

But yes, this looks pretty amazing and I can't wait.

No solid release date yet?

EDIT: I should learn to read

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember seeing something about this some time ago; it might have been on this forum. Anyway, it looks fantastic.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I interviewed the producer at PAX.
    http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/04/03/limbo-it-is-absolutely-beautiful/
    It containts my impressions of the PAX demo too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Unfortunately this means the game will be 1200 points ($15) as all Summer of Arcade games this year are that price. The game looks awesome, but if it's not nice and long, I'll wait till it's on sale.

Yeah, fuck supporting unique and interesting development! If they're not going to pad their game out with hours of bullshit, I know I'm not giving them my hard-earned cash.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I kinda wish we had a general Summer of Arcade thread, because a few great-looking games are coming out that might not all warrant threads on their own (in addition to Limbo, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Monday Night Combat, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Harmony of Despair...I believe DeathSpank might be one too?).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I feel like this game deserves its own thread. A lot of people who wouldn't necessarily pick through a thread full of games might see this, watch the videos in the OP and become interested. There's lots of games, like The Void and Zeno Clash for instance, that I would have glossed over if they didn't have their own threads.

Also, VVVVVV.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, there is the XBLA thread.

Also, this game looks pretty nice, I need more Arcade platformers on my console.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Beck wrote: »

Yeah, fuck supporting unique and interesting development! If they're not going to pad their game out with hours of bullshit, I know I'm not giving them my hard-earned cash.

Price per product isn't necessarily the final say in total sales. In some cases, reducing the price of a game increases purchase events out of proportion with the price gouge and has a net increase on earnings, with video games in particular. For instance, the current steam sale data could reasonably demonstrate this once all the data is in.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Need the PC release it was originally scheduled for :/

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure it'll get one eventually

But for right now, for its own good, it needs to be exclusive

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Everyone has a different idea of how much time you should get out of a $15 game . I'm sure you wouldn't spend $15 on it, if it was only 30 minutes with no replay value (no matter how unique and interesting it was).

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Paladin wrote: »

Price per product isn't necessarily the final say in total sales. In some cases, reducing the price of a game increases purchase events out of proportion with the price gouge and has a net increase on earnings, with video games in particular. For instance, the current steam sale data could reasonably demonstrate this once all the data is in.

Sales are great! Thinking games need to be a certain length isn't.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited July 2010

To hell with that.
    It was originally announced as a pc game, and ran its mailing list for years as one.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

To hell with that.
    It was originally announced as a pc game, and ran its mailing list for years as one.

Think financially.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

To hell with that.

Think financially.

Financially it wouldn't hurt them to announce a pc release now for, say, six months after the XBLA one.
    Their pc mailing list fanbase have, after all, been waiting since 2005.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks really cool. I think my favorite 360 games have all been XBLA platformers, so hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    According to that interview I linked, the game is completely finished. We're just waiting on Microsoft to feel like uploading it before we can make the purchase.

So many good XBLA games coming out soon. Who says we're entering a dry spell again?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like Limbo is just a couple weeks away. It'll be up on July 21st.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kuratosu is an awesome guy

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excellent, this will be out the week of my first paycheck...

Huzzah!

Fawst on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't wait.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow this game looks awesome as fuck

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kuratosu is an awesome guy
    $15, right?

I should learn to read, it is indeed

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am completely sold on this game. Day one.

DAY FUCKING ONE.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you play this game with the lights on you're a complete goose by the way

Just throwing that out there

joshofalltrades on