As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

We absolutely have to get a MP game of that going when it releases.

YES.

• Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This mod is basically why I bought the game. Happy coincidence that the vanilla game is totally awesome, but once the mod is released I may not play the regular version ever again. CKII is the perfect vehicle for an ASOIAF mod.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    So instead of giving your son a bishopric, can you remove a kid from the line of succession by shipping him off to the Night's Watch?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yep. Or get him a spot in the Kingsguard, etc., etc. They're even working on stuff to get unwanted daughters out of your hair, with Silent Sisters events and stuff. The depth of the mod is impressive. They've got a forum where you can track their progress: citadel.prophpbb.com/forum3.html

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Sounds mighty interesting.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    So instead of giving your son a bishopric, can you remove a kid from the line of succession by shipping him off to the Night's Watch?
    How do you do that bishopric thing? Do I just need to evict a bishop (or build a new bishopric), then install the kid? Because having multiple sons under gavalkind with a maimed ruler is making me nervous.

Yep. Just need an empty bishopric and give it to your son.

I guess if you want to be really gamey, find a bishop who's your direct vassal and just keep hiring/firing him from the council until he rebels...

Or you could just eat the small tyranny penalty like a boss and boot him out. I'd rather take a relations hit than have my realm split apart, if those are the only options on the table.

• Options
    Guess I'm accruing some tyranny points tonight!

Good on you mate. I got some earlier... the Jarl of Västergotland was getting a wee bit too powerful, so I revoked his duchy, reassigned the counties to some of their de jure lieges, and gave the title to Duchy to someone else.

Only to have some shithead in Norrland die of illness and have two of his counties pass right back into Västergotland. Curse you, House de Haro, I should've left you to die to the Muslims.

• Options

Yeah, depending on how the stats of my two sons change as they grow up, one or the other of them is going to get shoved into a recently-vacated church. Doubt it will happen in tonight's play session, though.

• Options

I'm already at like -40 for title revocations... probably going to be around 100 before I'm done

• Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    I'm not too sure, but it appears that making them an heir to a bishopric also works. I'm only going on what I've experienced, and there could of been other factors at play, but one of my ruler's had his heir jump from his firstborn son to his firstborn son's son as soon as he was born, and the only thing I can see as a cause was his wife making him heir to one of her bishoprics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Farleyman wrote: »
    I'm not too sure, but it appears that making them an heir to a bishopric also works. I'm only going on what I've experienced, and there could of been other factors at play, but one of my ruler's had his heir jump from his firstborn son to his firstborn son's son as soon as he was born, and the only thing I can see as a cause was his wife making him heir to one of her bishoprics.

It does, but
    1) said bishop needs to die first I think
    2) you can only appoint adults as heirs, but you can give a bishopric directly to anyone
    3) you need free investiture

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'll need to either revoke a title or build a new church - just nominating a successor can't happen right now in Brittany because of that meddling pope.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Man, I just had to dislodge a 6000 man stack of muslim invaders from ireland, what an absolute pain in the ass that was. Wish I could go down to spain and bust some heads now that I chased them all out, but I burned a ton of cash and vassal opinion by raising up all their levies. So sad.

• Options
    So, the lack of custom portraits for many characters was bugging me, so I decided to offer my services and help the team out. For the record, I had no idea until about an hour ago how the whole dna thing worked for coding in characters' appearances. So I screwed around, learned how to make custom colors for hair/eyes and how to combine em' proper...

And eventually threw this together for one of the many characters lacking a portrait:

Roose1.png

And it's not officially part of the mod at the moment, so I think that's a loophole that let's me post it. I'll keep working with it... but right now there's a clubbed walrus I wanna throw in if possible.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Why does Roose have the content trait?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Why does Roose have the content trait?

No clue, probably randomly generated at game start. I didn't code in his traits, just the way he looks... but I can still (try) to take a gander and see. Because, if anything, he should be ambitious.

• Options
    Nevermind, who ever put him in made him content. /shrug, I'll ask.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would also lower his base diplomacy a tad, it's not like anyone really buys him as a good dude. And increase his learning.

I HAVE OPINIONS

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I'd personally drop Content and Gregarious and add Ambitious, tweak base stats to match.

But hey, that's part of why it's still a beta test.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't guess they found a way to not add random traits for a character? That's pretty annoying when modding.

• Options
    I don't guess they found a way to not add random traits for a character? That's pretty annoying when modding.

I think the way it works is that it will add random traits if there aren't enough predefined ones

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    3rd developer diary is out

Highlights:

Over 300 new events
    A new plot (remove title from vassal)
    A new button added to character screens for plots. Click it and it will have icons for available plots on that character. Click it on your ruler and it will show ambitions.
    Tooltip on death icon that shows cause of death

Releases on April 17th

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    3rd developer diary is out

Highlights:

Over 300 new events
    A new plot (remove title from vassal)
    A new button added to character screens for plots. Click it and it will have icons for available plots on that character. Click it on your ruler and it will show ambitions.
    Tooltip on death icon that shows cause of death

Releases on April 17th

That highlight list is a complete and total transcript of my wishlist of game features for CKII.

My new wishlist item is "Gives me a million real dollars at startup".

In the meantime, come on the 17th.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ahhh, there's a plot to remove a title from your vassal being added? Fantastic. I was getting really annoyed that I couldn't strip away a single county that I'd assigned to the wrong duchy without the Duke and half of my vassals, who were his allies, revolting.

Also, this game is absolutely amazing; I'm totally blown away at how fun and addicting it is. I've already killed my characters' mothers twice in order to inherit considerable chunks of France and continue the expansion of the Kingdom of Ireland into the strongest power in western continental Europe.

By the way, should I be worried if the Golden Horde has completely overrun Rus? The HRE is a massive blob holding all of Italy and most of Spain, so it should be able to keep them off, but it's worrying to see those horsemen pushing west.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    That diary also goes into a little more depth about the new events. A lot of them sound cool, like new events for independent rulers and events based on certain traits, like dwarf. There's also Friend and Enemy events.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man, loving that update. Especially the death icon telling you why someone died. Someone has been cleaning out my extended family in my Ireland game and its annoying not knowing if it was from murder or sickness.

Also, I had no idea how crazy the benefits were for crusading. You get a kickass perk out of it, the pope throws free money at you, and you haul in prestige like no other.

My Ireland game is awesome though, I had a king last over 80 years old and he's still going! Outlived his first wife, so I got him a sweet piece of HRE princess tale with a giant list of claims and good stats. He managed to get her pregnant again at 75! And he's ruled for 44 years now. At 83 I finally made the decision to split my kingdom and gift my inheritor the Scottish crown; hopefully to help alleviate the giant pile of bad mojo that's going to happen when the best king ever dies and my vassals all get itchy trigger fingers.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ireland is where it's at! Nobody bothers you and you can amass a lot of power really quickly. I profited greatly from the king of England going Waldensian; everyone in the English Isles dogpiled on him, half his vassals revolted, and the Kingdom of England no longer exists.

As Ireland, I was able to fight France to a standstill, and that's before I inherited Brythian. You can become quite the little powerhouse.

Currently focusing on gobbling up the rest of Scotland before I turn my attention to the independent English duchies.

Oh my lord, this is amazing. "You are my neighbor and have thrice as many troops as me? How would an alliance benefit me? I bid you good morrow!"

So many times. I rule over the entirety of Ireland, half of England, and most of Northern France, can raise something to the tune of ~16-17k troops, and I still get "desires a better alliance".

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't like how the new tooltip removes all the mystery as to how someone died. I mean, it would be great if you could find out after the game has ended, but this effectively means that the player is omniscient when it comes to assassinations.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    I don't like how the new tooltip removes all the mystery as to how someone died. I mean, it would be great if you could find out after the game has ended, but this effectively means that the player is omniscient when it comes to assassinations.

Yeah.

Personally, I'd only like to know for sure in regard to my character. There should be popups and the like to inform you if your character suspects something in other deaths, but being omniscient is a little iffy.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I personally really like the change, but there's already a mod that does that, so I don't see why there can't be a mod that undoes it. Though really, just don't hover your mouse over the death icon if you don't want to know.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well, really I'm mostly concerned that I won't be able to murder the kinsmen of other players in MP indiscriminately anymore.
    Just kidding!
    Or am I?

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    I don't think it says who assassinated them, just that they were assassinated. People may suspect, but they'll never know, kind of like how it already is.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    In the screenshot it says "so-and-so was murdered by assassins hired by Basileus Greekoli II," but I suppose it's possible that it will only display that it if you already know.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    In the screenshot it says "so-and-so was murdered by assassins hired by Basileus Greekoli II," but I suppose it's possible that it will only display that it if you already know.

Ah, yeah, hopefully that's only if they fail the roll for discovery.

• Options
    In the developer diary thread one of the paradox guys confirmed it will only display who ordered the killing if they're discovered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    So. Is there any interest in an EU CK2 multiplayer game? Farleyman was the only one who answered a few pages back, but I'd like to get at least 4 players. Farleyman said that weekends would work for the game scheduling, and I don't have any particular problems with that, but I'd like to know if there's any interest whatsoever?

• Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    I'm playing with the mod that adds cause of death in, and really, it doesn't cause any issues when it comes to assassinations. Each death adds a trait explaining how they died, and from what I can gather from the files and gameplay, they only get an "assassinated" trait if you know it happened - i.e.: you ordered it or person who did failed the check. Otherwise it seems to add "death by accident", which can also mean they really did die by accident.

All in all, works quite well. And comes with some pretty nifty looking icons for the traits, too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    For CK2, I finally figured out you can change the start date to whatever day you wanted. So I proceeded to play with the start map and travel through time for about 15 minutes. Cathars in France like they are supposed to be, the transitions in the middle east seem accurate. It's nice they put so much work into something most people probably never even change or look at.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Kipling wrote: »
    For CK2, I finally figured out you can change the start date to whatever day you wanted. So I proceeded to play with the start map and travel through time for about 15 minutes. Cathars in France like they are supposed to be, the transitions in the middle east seem accurate. It's nice they put so much work into something most people probably never even change or look at.

Yeah, I bet most people start near the "beginning", but that's one change from CK1 I really like. All of the history is already set up, so you just pick a date and go.