As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bitching Thread IV: I Must Break You (of bad comics)

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can admire Morrison for trying to make every Batman comic fit into continuity, but it's more a matter of why? COIE was a good way to keep the past stories but clean everything out for new things. You don't need to mention Jason Todd had blonde hair in his earlier pre-COIE version, you can just let it go, or tie in Space Batman stuff from the 50's.

I've never liked the idea of the multiverse coming back, as I found it unnecessary. If you want to tell another story but it can't fit into the regular DCU just make it elseworlds (and now we have the 52 universes AND elseworlds).
    When done right, it doesn't feel excessive so much as rich.

That's a good point, and is true with things like All-Star Superman. With Morrison's Batman leading up to RIP, not so much. Or Kevin Smith's Widening Gyre.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I can admire Morrison for trying to make every Batman comic fit into continuity, but it's more a matter of why? COIE was a good way to keep the past stories but clean everything out for new things. You don't need to mention Jason Todd had blonde hair in his earlier pre-COIE version, you can just let it go, or tie in Space Batman stuff from the 50's.

I've never liked the idea of the multiverse coming back, as I found it unnecessary. If you want to tell another story but it can't fit into the regular DCU just make it elseworlds (and now we have the 52 universes AND elseworlds).

That's a good point, and is true with things like All-Star Superman. With Morrison's Batman leading up to RIP, not so much. Or Kevin Smith's Widening Gyre.

I don't really have a problem with writers taking their tools from stories not considered canon, but then again I consider the view of continuity as a timeline to be ridiculous.

Morrison's Batman run had it's share of problems (mostly the fact that RIP and the issues before that which were building to it in the foreground rather than the background read like a cold calculating college thesis rather than a story with real life to it), but I don't think that's one of them.

Now his Batman and Robin? Yeah, that's some of the best Batman stuff in decades.

MastaP on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Didja like All-Star Superman, Fencingsax?

It's pretty much what lionheart describes, a Superman story that attempts to reconcile the modern interpretation of the character with the more bizarre themes and motifs which characterized his earlier incarnations.

All-Star Superman was a much better work. Also, Superman is inherently optimistic and happy, and fits much better with science-police zaniness or whatever. Of course, it also avoids Morrison's other big problem with writing characters, in that he doesn't really give a shit what anyone else is doing at the time, and everyone else returns the favor. With out-of-continuity work, he didn't have to even consider that stuff before discarding it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ive discovered that i like DC's characters and Marvel's comics. that doesnt work.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Or why Countdown had nothing to do with Final Crisis. I was just browsing a few issues and dear lord. I had forgotten about Mr. Action.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Or why Countdown had nothing to do with Final Crisis. I was just browsing a few issues and dear lord. I had forgotten about Mr. Action.

that just made me think of captain actions from the venture bros. those guys would make an amazing team book. come on, dark horse, make that shit happen.

TheSecretSeventh on
    wait....
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

that just made me think of captain actions from the venture bros. those guys would make an amazing team book. come on, dark horse, make that shit happen.

HA! Me too. I would read the shit outta that team book. Though i doubt they'd make it, half of the characters are re-hashed Marvel or Johnny Quest characters (I know its intentional, retarded scab-thing of the Faux-tastic Four is hilarious). Go Team Venture!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gank wrote: »

HA! Me too. I would read the shit outta that team book. Though i doubt they'd make it, half of the characters are re-hashed Marvel or Johnny Quest characters (I know its intentional, retarded scab-thing of the Faux-tastic Four is hilarious). Go Team Venture!

my XBL name is in honor of that show. i get at least one friend invite a week from some random kid that likes my gamertag. i never add them though; i dont want to have more 14 year old friends than friends my own age...

TheSecretSeventh on
    wait....
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ive discovered that i like DC's characters and Marvel's comics. that doesnt work.

You should read Invincible!

Green on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Morrison didn't make Jason's hair blonde again though, he made it red. It makes sense too, you know, cause gingers are evil.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mr. Action was the only good thing from Countdown that wasn't The Jokester

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Morrison didn't make Jason's hair blonde again though, he made it red. It makes sense too, you know, cause gingers are evil.

The Dark Phoenix Saga would have never happened if Jean was a blonde.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here was an article that I found interesting last week about retailers economic troubles these days, and it mentions one shop losing $30,000 in sales because people have just never canceled their pull boxes. It's like, what the hell comic readers (and I would hope the retailer asked for a credit card # to charge after so many months, and that they were given fake numbers, otherwise what the hell retailers?). I don't know, that's just something that ground my gears.

I've noticed at my LCS that 20% of the new comics back wall is now a place for variant covers, since the shop has ordered less titles and won't even try ordering newer titles unless specifically asked to.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, if a store allows $30,000 worth of inventory to pile up, then that's just dumb. Together DC and Marvel put out what, about 180 titles a month? Let's round up and say 200. Now, most of those titles are still $2.99, but let's average it out to $3.50.

$3.50 x 200 = $700 (tax not included)

Imagine the sheer volume of inventory you'd have to have piling up, to incur $30,000 worth of losses. It's staggering. You'd have to have either a whole shitload of people buying a few titles, or a few diehard collectors buying every single book that comes out that month. And you'd have to let it continue for months and months.

And let's not forget, that dollar sum isn't even what retailers pay for their inventory (about $1.50, last I heard). Seriously, how would a responsible store owner allow that much surplus to pile up, without thinking to themselves, "Hey, maybe I should cut these dudes off.."

Munch on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Honestly, if a store allows $30,000 worth of inventory to pile up, then that's just dumb. Together DC and Marvel put out what, about 180 titles a month? Let's round up and say 200. Now, most of those titles are still $2.99, but let's average it out to $3.50.

$3.50 x 200 = $700 (tax not included)

Imagine the sheer volume of inventory you'd have to have piling up, to incur $30,000 worth of losses. It's staggering. You'd have to have either a whole shitload of people buying a few titles, or a few diehard collectors buying every single book that comes out that month. And you'd have to let it continue for months and months.

And let's not forget, that dollar sum isn't even what retailers pay for their inventory (about $1.50, last I heard). Seriously, how would a responsible store owner allow that much surplus to pile up, without thinking to themselves, "Hey, maybe I should cut these dudes off.."

"Well...it's only $20,000...we can give all those guys a bit more time to come in an pick up their crates of floppies..."

I'm not sure how the blame lies with people not cancelling their pull boxes. If I didn't pick anything up from my store for as little as three months without saying a word to the owner I wouldn't expect anything waiting for me when I eventually turned up.

"Hey man....haven't seen you here in _years_....soooo, that'll be $3,500...do you want to just back your car up to the door?"

NODe on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know my buddies that have pull lists will let it go for several months before going to pick it up these days. Sounds like allowing pull lists without a way to get the money is a bad business choice.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Retailers who go that long without having a failsafe like a CC# in place at some point deserve the egg on their face, but really, how hard is it to call your LCS and say "I'm sorry, please cancel my box, times are tough right now/I don't care for comics anymore/etc"

You've established contact with the store in order to create the pull box, at least be a (super)man and cancel it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    or just don't have a pullbox!

that's what i do

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Does your shop not give a discount for having a pullbox?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    i don't know

i don't have one shop i go to. there are a bunch around me and it just depends on where i am/how far i feel like driving that day

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Does your shop not give a discount for having a pullbox?
    Mine doesn't.

And even when I have something on my pull list, if it's an indie title they weren't going to order anyway, I don't get it.

Basically, a pull list at my store is useless.

Munch on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't do a pull list because I only get a few titles a month and I think my store has a minimum number of titles you must get every month in order to qualify for a pull list. I'm not at that number.

Rans on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We had to get something like 4 or 5 titles a month to get a pull box. They didn't actually keep a list of what you were getting so it was the devil's own work to figure out what you had ordered or needed to order or stop. No discounts either, except for the odd one-off 'you bought loads so I'll knock a bit off the total' discount.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I get 10-15 titles a week, so I have a pull list.

I don't get a discount or bag/boards with my pull list. I just get the benefit of being able to walk into the store at 1pm on a Wednesday and saying "Hey guys! Can I have my books?" and being handed a stack.

(I still end up grabbing a few things off the wall usually anyway.)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really like my comic store. You don't need a minimum amount of books to start a pull list, you get free bags and boards for up to five books, and you get a 20% discount. Plus, I really like the staff.

I guess I'm fairly lucky as far as LCS's go.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My LCS gives 10% off new comics, but as a way of saying thank you recently they've extended it to back issues and TPBs now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my store also won't let anyone use credit or debit cards for purchases under 10 dollars which is apparently an illegal limitation to enforce.

Rans on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, they probably can't do that. My store just adds a 30-cent fee on orders under $10 that are payed with a credit/debit card.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I only get Ultimate Comic titles in singles now and my LCS let's me have a pull list, with a 20% discount to boot. They also said it was cool that while I'm in BMt and Tech training they'll keep ordering my books, although honestly that will only add up to 3 months if I can get a few days off during Tech.

Edit: And regarding the insane pull list inventory number, what kept the comic shop from calling the people earlier and asking them if they still wanted their books? Sure you can blame some of this on the current economic climate but bad business practices will always destroy you. Hell my LCS survived the entire comic crash of the early to mid 90s somehow by being running the business smartly.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Instead of a pull list we have a prepayment system, where if you pre-pay with us the month that something is solicited in Previews you get a discount that's about %25. That way the customers get the books they want, a good discount, and we're not losing out because people bail. It's not a perfect system (some people just don't want to put down money beforehand) but it works.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I get 10-15 titles a week, so I have a pull list.

I don't get a discount or bag/boards with my pull list. I just get the benefit of being able to walk into the store at 1pm on a Wednesday and saying "Hey guys! Can I have my books?" and being handed a stack.

(I still end up grabbing a few things off the wall usually anyway.)

this is me, but ive trimmed down to 7-10 titles a week. i dont get a discount for a pull, cuz my LCS does 15% off of everything for everyone, but i like having some sense of security that my books wont be sold out, cuz that happens a lot at my LCS. which sucks a lot.

im moving to LA next summer, and my future roommate and i have already scoped out the comic shop we're gonna be going to. with a pull, you get 20% off, plus a bag and board with every comic. thats amazing.

TheSecretSeventh on
    wait....
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am lucky and live in a city with many comic stores, of which I only really frequent Midtown Comics. Every $100 you spend they give you $20, so essentially 20% and that's on top of whatever promotion they are running. I don't know if there are any pull list specials because I don't qualify seeing as I only get at most 6 books a week and as few as 2. If anyone here has real trouble getting comics, they usually have everything so let me know if I can help someone out. I'm not looking to become a comic cartel, but if you find yourself not able to get something I can pick up (for the cost of the comic) and mail to you (for free).

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's actually more like 16.7% off, since you are getting $120 for the price of $100, not $100 for the price of $80.

It also serves as a real punch in the gut; every time I hit the "$100 dollars spent" mark, I wince. Because it's a mark I've hit more than once. Way way more than once.

This discount also doesn't stack with most other discounts, as far as I know. Like, right now they've got a bunch of trades near the front in a sort of "try these awesome series" section (Cerebus, Animal Man, Walking Dead, The Invisibles, that sort of thing) for 25% off, but that doesn't stack with the 16.7% off you get for having an account. I have a hard time justifying purchasing trades at the store, since I can get most of them on Amazon for around 30% off.

On the other hand, they always have a sale on their website for something. A few weeks ago, I picked up the Final Crisis trade for $10, for example.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, while I will always buy trades off Amazon or eBay, I have no issue with floppies. I'm not that price sensitive because I'm not really reading that much that I'd have to worry about it. I've never actually written my pulls let's see:
    Young Allies
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Fantastic Four
    Avengers
    New Avengers
    Secret Avengers
    Deadpool
    SHIELD
    Invincible Iron Man
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

Minis:
    Avengers Prime
    Avengers CC
    Avengers and Infinity Gauntlet
    Astonishing Spider-Man Wolverine

Trades:
    Atomic Robo
    Chew

Not too bad, I think my biggest cost is my perpetual desire to get every ASM issue, so I've been slowly back collecting.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    It's actually more like 16.7% off, since you are getting $120 for the price of $100, not $100 for the price of $80.

It also serves as a real punch in the gut; every time I hit the "$100 dollars spent" mark, I wince. Because it's a mark I've hit more than once. Way way more than once.

This discount also doesn't stack with most other discounts, as far as I know. Like, right now they've got a bunch of trades near the front in a sort of "try these awesome series" section (Cerebus, Animal Man, Walking Dead, The Invisibles, that sort of thing) for 25% off, but that doesn't stack with the 16.7% off you get for having an account. I have a hard time justifying purchasing trades at the store, since I can get most of them on Amazon for around 30% off.

On the other hand, they always have a sale on their website for something. A few weeks ago, I picked up the Final Crisis trade for $10, for example.

See I just alternate between feeling like an asshole and a sucker with my local. When it comes to TTG's I can rationalise paying a little more to support my store, it provides a place to play the games and allows you to meet other people that play. There's a community there.

When it comes to comics though I'm literally just paying more because it's a store and happens to be in my city, it doesn't bring anything to the table as far as my comic reading experience other than telling me how great Deadpool is for the millionth time. Also, his trade selection is terrible...but it would be because he can't afford to match Amazon prices. Sigh.

NODe on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do feel like a bad person sometimes, all not supporting my comic book store and such (although there is nothing small or "mom & pop" about Midtown Comics, so I don't feel too bad on that front). I do buy the occasional trade there, either when something comes out that I want to read now (like Incredible Herc), or when I'm there and I feel like splurging a little.

Also, they have a yearly 40% off sale on trades (struggling to remember when this normally happens. I think in February? Oh, they also have some great Black Friday sales), and I tend to go stupid-overboard during those times.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey, was a pussy Superman not good enough for you? How about a sad Lois story?

It's a fill-in issue for Grounded. Now Lois can wonder if she made the right choice, blah blah blah don't care.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why all the hate Tex? JMS is just trying to explain things from her side of the story, so it's not all about the man in the relationship.

You sexist pig.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't it be nice is Lois and Superman had.. one more day?

Seriously, I hope that issue ends with Lois realizing a life of superscience adventure and excitement beats her old beau's white picket fence, snotty kids, and hum-drum existence.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not even JMS writing it, it's some woman writing about woman stuff

It's forced drama, and while I'm pretty sure I can see the ending already (Lois wouldn't give up anything she has now to have a happy life in the suburbs), it's just the idea of wasting an issue to something that isn't needed. Lois is like she was in Up, Up and Away, she tells Clark three little words : Go Get 'Em!

Hell, give us the Busiek/Leonardi Krypto issue that's been sitting on the shelf for so long if you need a fill-in.

TexiKen on