Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Bitching Thread IV: I Must Break You (of bad comics)

15758596062

Posts

  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it was a pretty bad plan, but it wasn't actually a plan. The Chameleons were going after Jameson and the boy Chameleon only picked Peter to figure out how Peter knew that he wasn't really Jameson

    I'm hoping
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device

    Garlic Bread on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It seemed the Chameleon's were kinda making up the shit as they went along. Remember Spider-man wasn't even an original part of their Jameson plan. Still the arc was kinda weak compared to most of the previous ones but it wasn't too bad overall.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys really make it sound like Spider-Man doesn't even get to do cool stuff at all anymore.

    Here's an idea. New York has got superheroes all over the place. Being Spider-Man hasn't gotten Parker anywhere, really...why not retire? Become a serious journalist with uber-connections with the superhero community. Surely a well-equipped reporter (not to mention that still has spider-sense and spider reflexes, and can contact Tony Stark or Reed Richards at any time) can do just as much good as grunt-work webslinging, if not moreso. It's not like there aren't other people with webs and spider outfits running around now.

    Linespider5 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY

    Garlic Bread on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so gaddez did you read Hulk 25?

    because, I mean, if you have this evidence, I'd like to see it

    Just finished it.

    And I can see that Parker is laying the groundwork for a redemption story.

    Good for him.

    Until Ross figures out why what he did was fundamentally wrong, I'm going to hold onto my oppinion that he is in fact a dick, raise a glass to whichever heroes feeds him his lunch, and not spend money on the title.

    So hey: maybe in a year or three he'll be a worthy addition to the marvel comic line.

    But right now the character just has too much loeb stink.

    Gaddez on
    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wow, i completely missed that you guys were talking about USM and not ASM and i thought i had missed an issue.

    TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    (Retired Spider-Man thoughts cont'd)

    You know, I would like to see some retired characters, actually. I know Daredevil is apparently going to have a sit-out for a while, but...sure there must be an emerging group of individuals who, after a couple decades of crimefighting, still want to be involved but not actually all suited up and doing the rough stuff. Some kind of council, maybe, of ex-heroes working in the community, existing between civilian and superhero...

    Anyone heard of something like this? This has to have been done before.

    Linespider5 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Niceiza did something similar to that in his Citizen V miniseries.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen that boy can sing! Jackson HeightsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welcome to Tranquility is a nice little book by Gail Simone about retired heroes. But they're senior citizens.


    A plot during the Steven Seagle Uncanny X-Men run, that was later abandoned by the editors, was for Scott and Jean to retire after Operation Zero Tolerance, and with the original 5 X-Men team be like an active lobbyist group for mutants, and opening up a shelter for abused and abandoned teen mutants.

    This was thrown out in favor of doing "The Twelve" story.

    edit: JKyle's right, the V-Battalion was basically old WWII heroes trying to be a more superhero SHIELD. I miss them.

    TexiKen on
    eo3k6D0.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device


    Tell that to the Wolverine movie.

    And I haven't read the latest issue, but to me it seemed like all this was just so that Spiderman could be hated by New York all over again.

    noir_blood on
  • TexiKenTexiKen that boy can sing! Jackson HeightsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I saw the last few pages of USM 14:
    Is Gwen really going to be upset at Peter over things the Chameleon did? That's kind of not cool. Especially when the cover for the next issue is Peter looking like he just joined Dumpsville.

    And while I think Peter and MJ should stay married and together in the regular universe, why does it seem like the maximum Peter can go in the Ultimate Universe before running back to MJ is about 15 issues? This is the universe where you can still have Peter date other girls and it isn't completely stupid in how it's handled.

    I actually like Gwen and Kitty in the Ultimate Universe much more than MJ.

    TexiKen on
    eo3k6D0.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device


    Tell that to the Wolverine movie.

    And I haven't read the latest issue, but to me it seemed like all this was just so that Spiderman could be hated by New York all over again.

    If Bendis pulled a bait and switch where Peter goes out as Spider-Man and a said that that guy wasn't him and that he is still out there looking out for people and the response is overwhelmingly "we believe you man, and we are grateful for everything you've done," then I wouldn't be suprised. I think it may even be possible that Jameson may be the voice for this, and I also think that Bendis could pull it off and make it really great moment where Pete realises that people appreciate what he does and not everything is that bad.

    Solar on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device


    Tell that to the Wolverine movie.

    And I haven't read the latest issue, but to me it seemed like all this was just so that Spiderman could be hated by New York all over again.

    If Bendis pulled a bait and switch where Peter goes out as Spider-Man and a said that that guy wasn't him and that he is still out there looking out for people and the response is overwhelmingly "we believe you man, and we are grateful for everything you've done," then I wouldn't be suprised. I think it may even be possible that Jameson may be the voice for this, and I also think that Bendis could pull it off and make it really great moment where Pete realises that people appreciate what he does and not everything is that bad.

    But that's not the Parker Luck. We need our Peters to be sad pathetic frames of life.

    noir_blood on
  • NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device


    Tell that to the Wolverine movie.

    And I haven't read the latest issue, but to me it seemed like all this was just so that Spiderman could be hated by New York all over again.

    If Bendis pulled a bait and switch where Peter goes out as Spider-Man and a said that that guy wasn't him and that he is still out there looking out for people and the response is overwhelmingly "we believe you man, and we are grateful for everything you've done," then I wouldn't be suprised. I think it may even be possible that Jameson may be the voice for this, and I also think that Bendis could pull it off and make it really great moment where Pete realises that people appreciate what he does and not everything is that bad.

    But that's not the Parker Luck. We need our Peters to be sad pathetic frames of life.


    NY throws him a parade, but 48 people die of confetti poisoning. Final page is Peter surrounded by corpses shaking his fists at an uncaring sky, his tears mingling with the sudden downpour.

    NODe on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    NODe wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device


    Tell that to the Wolverine movie.

    And I haven't read the latest issue, but to me it seemed like all this was just so that Spiderman could be hated by New York all over again.

    If Bendis pulled a bait and switch where Peter goes out as Spider-Man and a said that that guy wasn't him and that he is still out there looking out for people and the response is overwhelmingly "we believe you man, and we are grateful for everything you've done," then I wouldn't be suprised. I think it may even be possible that Jameson may be the voice for this, and I also think that Bendis could pull it off and make it really great moment where Pete realises that people appreciate what he does and not everything is that bad.

    But that's not the Parker Luck. We need our Peters to be sad pathetic frames of life.


    NY throws him a parade, but 48 people die of confetti poisoning. Final page is Peter surrounded by corpses shaking his fists at an uncaring sky, his tears mingling with the sudden downpour.

    And then Mephisto comes around and kicks him in the balls.

    Quick, someone call Stan Lee and get him to do this!

    noir_blood on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY

    With relatively evenly distributed power comes moderate responsibility?

    psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    NODe wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    that Jameson still remembers he's Spider-Man and that getting shot didn't make him forget because that's an awful plot device


    Tell that to the Wolverine movie.

    And I haven't read the latest issue, but to me it seemed like all this was just so that Spiderman could be hated by New York all over again.

    If Bendis pulled a bait and switch where Peter goes out as Spider-Man and a said that that guy wasn't him and that he is still out there looking out for people and the response is overwhelmingly "we believe you man, and we are grateful for everything you've done," then I wouldn't be suprised. I think it may even be possible that Jameson may be the voice for this, and I also think that Bendis could pull it off and make it really great moment where Pete realises that people appreciate what he does and not everything is that bad.

    But that's not the Parker Luck. We need our Peters to be sad pathetic frames of life.


    NY throws him a parade, but 48 people die of confetti poisoning. Final page is Peter surrounded by corpses shaking his fists at an uncaring sky, his tears mingling with the sudden downpour.

    And then Mephisto comes around and kicks him in the balls.

    Quick, someone call Stan Lee and get him to do this!

    But fortunately this is Ultimate Spider-Man and being utterly shit is not an integral part of his character.

    Solar on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys really make it sound like Spider-Man doesn't even get to do cool stuff at all anymore.

    Here's an idea. New York has got superheroes all over the place. Being Spider-Man hasn't gotten Parker anywhere, really...why not retire? Become a serious journalist with uber-connections with the superhero community. Surely a well-equipped reporter (not to mention that still has spider-sense and spider reflexes, and can contact Tony Stark or Reed Richards at any time) can do just as much good as grunt-work webslinging, if not moreso. It's not like there aren't other people with webs and spider outfits running around now.

    That is honestly an awful idea from both the standpoint of writing the character and keeping him relevant

    Furu on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    You guys really make it sound like Spider-Man doesn't even get to do cool stuff at all anymore.

    Here's an idea. New York has got superheroes all over the place. Being Spider-Man hasn't gotten Parker anywhere, really...why not retire? Become a serious journalist with uber-connections with the superhero community. Surely a well-equipped reporter (not to mention that still has spider-sense and spider reflexes, and can contact Tony Stark or Reed Richards at any time) can do just as much good as grunt-work webslinging, if not moreso. It's not like there aren't other people with webs and spider outfits running around now.

    That is honestly an awful idea from both the standpoint of writing the character and keeping him relevant

    If you can't see the possibilities, I can't help you, Furu. Seems miles beyond Peter Parker eternally cast as karma's whipping boy in the MU to me. I'd rather have a proactive character that grew up a little and moved on, heavily involved in covering current events that shape the Marvel world. You can't tell me an ex-superhero turning to a journalism career in THAT world wouldn't be busy with compelling and cool stuff to do.

    Linespider5 on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From what I've read so far the post-BND Spider-man stuff seems like it will be good and if I do hear good things about it I'll probably get it in trade format.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen that boy can sing! Jackson HeightsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did Peter ever do actual journalism at any point in his career, or has he always been a photographer who just happens to be Spider-Man's got to photo buddy, and then Urich writes the story?

    TexiKen on
    eo3k6D0.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    You guys really make it sound like Spider-Man doesn't even get to do cool stuff at all anymore.

    Here's an idea. New York has got superheroes all over the place. Being Spider-Man hasn't gotten Parker anywhere, really...why not retire? Become a serious journalist with uber-connections with the superhero community. Surely a well-equipped reporter (not to mention that still has spider-sense and spider reflexes, and can contact Tony Stark or Reed Richards at any time) can do just as much good as grunt-work webslinging, if not moreso. It's not like there aren't other people with webs and spider outfits running around now.

    That is honestly an awful idea from both the standpoint of writing the character and keeping him relevant

    If you can't see the possibilities, I can't help you, Furu. Seems miles beyond Peter Parker eternally cast as karma's whipping boy in the MU to me. I'd rather have a proactive character that grew up a little and moved on, heavily involved in covering current events that shape the Marvel world. You can't tell me an ex-superhero turning to a journalism career in THAT world wouldn't be busy with compelling and cool stuff to do.

    Yes but the problem is that you're taking a superhero who is one of Marvel's most recognizable and best characters and making him...not a superhero. And it's not a concept that gels well with Peter either. He can't not be Spider-Man any more than Bruce Wayne can wake up one day and go "Well Batman had a good run" though for entirely different reasons. It took losing a leg in the Spider-Girl universe to get him to retire and even then he regularly beat up dudes as regular Peter Parker or threw the costume on again to do heroic work. It's an intrinsic part of who he is.

    But the real fatal blow to your idea is that no one would go for it. Ever. Editorial, corporate, fans. Nobody wants to see Peter Parker not be Spider-Man, or at least not enough people to support this idea beyond the immense negative backlash it would create.

    Furu on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    You guys really make it sound like Spider-Man doesn't even get to do cool stuff at all anymore.

    Here's an idea. New York has got superheroes all over the place. Being Spider-Man hasn't gotten Parker anywhere, really...why not retire? Become a serious journalist with uber-connections with the superhero community. Surely a well-equipped reporter (not to mention that still has spider-sense and spider reflexes, and can contact Tony Stark or Reed Richards at any time) can do just as much good as grunt-work webslinging, if not moreso. It's not like there aren't other people with webs and spider outfits running around now.

    That is honestly an awful idea from both the standpoint of writing the character and keeping him relevant

    If you can't see the possibilities, I can't help you, Furu. Seems miles beyond Peter Parker eternally cast as karma's whipping boy in the MU to me. I'd rather have a proactive character that grew up a little and moved on, heavily involved in covering current events that shape the Marvel world. You can't tell me an ex-superhero turning to a journalism career in THAT world wouldn't be busy with compelling and cool stuff to do.

    Isn't that wnat Alias became when it turned into The Pulse?

    Kyougu on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And no one bought that either.

    It's not a bad idea in and of itself, but not for 616 Spider-Man. It's just dumb for him.

    Furu on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It'd be good for an arc, though.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Agreed, but as a long term direction for the character? Hell no.

    Furu on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so yeah, i'm never reading anything Mark Millar writes ever again

    when that headline showed up in Nemesis 3 i thought about throwing the book away, and then a panel later when i read "rigged her womb" i followed through on that thought

    Diablo Fett on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    man

    rigging her womb

    sorry but that is too hilarious to pass up on

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thing about Nemesis that baffles me (aside from how this was allowed to go to the printer) is that there appears to be no logic for the villain to do these things. Like, why in gods name would you go about impregnating a girl with her brothers seed? or rig her womb to implode?

    Gaddez on
    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The thing about Nemesis that baffles me (aside from how this was allowed to go to the printer) is that there appears to be no logic for the villain to do these things. Like, why in gods name would you go about impregnating a girl with her brothers seed? or rig her womb to implode?

    Pretty sure it's just because he's a complete dickhead. The thing with Nemesis is he completely destroys his adversary's life before killing him.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The police chief arrested his sex slave trade running parents or some shit and his mother asked him to make them pay before she got the electric chair. Now Nemesis is getting back at him by being a douchebag.

    KVW on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    rigged.

    her womb.

    gay brother's seed.

    Dorktron9000 on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll say this, if they actually put that in the movie I'll shake hands of all those involved for having the balls (and stupidity) for doing it.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'll say this, if they actually put that in the movie I'll shake hands of all those involved for having the balls (and stupidity) for doing it.

    Uwe boll?

    Gaddez on
    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • descdesc said baby boy you’re only funky as your last cut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    The police chief arrested his sex slave trade running parents or some shit and his mother asked him to make them pay before she got the electric chair. Now Nemesis is getting back at him by being a douchebag.

    Ahahaha. Millar wants readers to take this at face value? This is just dumb.

    So he just surgically implanted a bunch of C4 next to the fetus or something? How do you "rig" a womb to explode?

    desc on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »
    KVW wrote: »
    The police chief arrested his sex slave trade running parents or some shit and his mother asked him to make them pay before she got the electric chair. Now Nemesis is getting back at him by being a douchebag.

    Ahahaha. Millar wants readers to take this at face value? This is just dumb.

    So he just surgically implanted a bunch of C4 next to the fetus or something? How do you "rig" a womb to explode?

    He globetrottered that explosion up, to an implosion.

    So is Millar just writing the dumbest things possible now to see what he can get by with on his name alone?

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nemesis is clearly Millar's All Star Batman and Robin

    And as such is hugely enjoyable

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New bitching thread is up: Here!

    Lucascraft on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mark Millar is truly the Hemingway of our time.

    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3536/markmillarisagenius.jpg

    Dram on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has it been three months already?

    143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
Sign In or Register to comment.