As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Verify Your Account NOW

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
BIG OLD LIST OF GAMES ON SALE

steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
This is apparently a sortable list of all the cool stuff on Steam that you can narrow down via categories (like "on sale") but it may have ceased to work.

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes out Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

Steam iPhone App
You have an iPhone? That money could easily have been spent on Steam games. If you want to make the best of your shiny gadget, however, check out this Steam iPhone app. For less than the price of a grande mocha frapaacino or whatever, you can buy an unofficial program (which appears to have been created by a PA guy who has not stepped forward if the Armadeaddon screengrab means anything) which does all sorts of Steam shit.

Speaking of iPhones...
peekandpoke.jpg

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My haul over the last week or so:

Lead & Gold (Gifted)
    Just Cause 2
    The Guild 2 + Expansion
    ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead (Not on sale, but I didn't pay for it either)
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
    Men of War
    Bionic Commando + Rearmed
    Borderlands

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not quite done yet!! What is the best X-Com title?

Big Classy on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hurrah new thread smell

send me a PM, rent, if you do buy the l4d2 pack. I have to leave before noon CST and won't be available until much later - ~8 PM, if all goes smoothly [which it won't].

Tamin on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    Zeno Clash - I don't even remember buying this. I probably saw some positive posts (I hope) and just went for it

Zeno Clash is well worth the $4 it went for just for the weirdness.
    Variable wrote: »
    Zeno Clash - I don't even remember buying this. I probably saw some positive posts (I hope) and just went for it

Zeno Clash is well worth the $4 it went for just for the weirdness.

Zeno Clash is awesome and well worth $4. It's only flaw is that it is pretty short, but since it was released as a budget title it's length is pretty forgivable.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My brother says the Scourge Project is pretty good. Any opinons?

Just reposting this from the last thread.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thread title does not adequately convey the gravity of this situation.

At least I didn't spend as much as Big Isy. Though I might have spent more than everyone that isn't Big Isy.
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I mean, look at that guy go.

Monger on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is this the morning after?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My damage:
    Ghostbusters
    Flotilla
    Kane and Lynch
    Guild 2: pirates
    Thief DS
    PB Winterbottom
    $21

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Thread title does not adequately convey the gravity of this situation.

At least I didn't spend as much as Big Isy. Though I might have spent more than everyone that isn't Big Isy.
    I mean, look at that guy go.

Yes, its that bad. I'm picking out individual games form a cheap as nuts package. :lol:

But seriously, I didn't spend that much in this summer sale.
    We're not including the two weeks beforehand

Big Classy on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Rube Goldberg's birthday is today apparently.

Should of been a sale on The Incredible Machine or whatever that Steam has today.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh that's right. Make a new thread 5 minutes before I get on :P

Zerokku on
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My sales haul:

Indigo Prophecy (Loved this, played right through it over the weekend)
    The Void (Seems like an interesting idea, only about half an hour into this so far)
    The Guild II (Have hardly touched this, need to devote some time to it when I'm not being constantly distracted by new games I bought)
    Bioshock (Enjoying the atmosphere greatly, but I'm reaching the point where my lack of shooter skills is becoming a problem)
    Puzzle Kingdoms (Seems like a poor mans puzzle quest)
    Ghost Master (Played the tutorial, looks like it might be fun)
    Tropico 3: Absolute power
    Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Defense Grid
    Birth of America

Should be enough to keep me going for a while, along with Mass Effect which I bought during the EA sale.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quoting myself because it should be seen:
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    BTW, for those who just bought Thief3:

Make sure that you install the Widescreen Mod and the FOV mod here (though I can't figure out how to get T3Tweak to work with Steam) and John P.'s high res texture pack here.

Just let me know if you need help setting this up, I just did it today. Really improves the game.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Man, Rube Goldberg's birthday is today apparently.

Should of been a sale on The Incredible Machine or whatever that Steam has today.

The Gold version is/was on sale! I was tempted.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    edited July 2010
    What folder do you install that texture pack to? common\thief deadly shadows?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still having some problems with some Steam pages, gift-claiming ones included. :S

Love (and hate) sales.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    What folder do you install that texture pack to? common\thief deadly shadows?

It doesn't really matter where you install it to initially, there's where I did it.

Once you install it, you run it to actually install the textures, and it confirms your Thief directory.

Also, be sure you only select one sub-option under Garret Face and Garret Outfit (Like, don't enable both "Large Scar" and "Medium Scar"). The other ones, you can just click the "all" checkbox.

Raiden333 on
    edited July 2010
    Okay for my last bit to spend on this sale -

Beat Hazard, or Borderlands DLC. If the latter, which one?

Zerokku on
    edited July 2010
    Huh, it gave me a 76: path not found error

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Huh, it gave me a 76: path not found error

That's... Really odd.

I just checked the readme and found this:
    Possible error messages while installing/uninstalling:

Run-time error ‘76’: Path not found. This is caused by a problem with the registry string path to your game install in all the cases I have heard of. Usually, there will be a \ too many in the game path the registry is pointing to.

To fix it, you will have to open the Windows registry editor, find the string: HKLM "SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows" "ION_ROOT", and see if you can spot anything wrong in the game’s install path there. I will not be held responsible for problems that may occur from your registry editing – be careful.

Raiden333 on
    edited July 2010
    In fact, I'm on Vista. If you're on 7, you may need to follow the instructions in this thread to get Thief 3 working at all, I seem to recall it having an issue with save games:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166808

Raiden333 on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

General Knoxx.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

UFO Defense.

Yay on you crumbling and getting Borderlands PC!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited July 2010

Beat hazard is a bad audiosurf, not worth it I hear. Borderlands DLC, I was told to go for Noxx and I literally just did. My final purchase along with Ghost master. I'll get a full list of what I picked up this sale (not including the previous EA and other stuff from June) later.

edit Iolo, what wonderful support! Cheers for the tip but I actually just picked up Noxx DLC for Borderlands.

Big Classy on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I probably dropped about $70. I dunno. It was all a blur.

Is there an easy way to look up your recent purchases without manually counting them?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

Is there an easy way to look up your recent purchases without manually counting them?

top right hand corner, click on account I think.

Big Classy on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Beat hazard is a bad audiosurf, not worth it I hear. Borderlands DLC, I was told to go for Noxx and I literally just did. My final purchase along with Ghost master. I'll get a full list of what I picked up this sale (not including the previous EA and other stuff from June) later.

edit Iolo, what wonderful support! Cheers for the tip but I actually just picked up Noxx DLC for Borderlands.

Yay on you crumbling and getting the Knoxx DLC, best of the bunch! (If $3.39 can be consider "crumbling...")

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just played the Beat Hazard demo because hey, why not. Really not impressed. Audiosurf is a far better way to play music; Beat Hazard has awkward downtimes that don't seem related to the song, and the simplistic gameplay is SHMUP dodge the stuff gameplay rather than Audiosurf's crazy fast reaction gameplay or puzzle gameplay. Really only worth it if you love SHMUPs I'd say.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited July 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Yay on you crumbling and getting the Knoxx DLC, best of the bunch! (If $3.39 can be consider "crumbling...")

It was my last couple o'bucks! Well, pounds but you know. It's not like I'm going hungry and cold. :mrgreen:

Big Classy on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Im gonna ask again here, since i dont think I ever got a response in the last thread.

What mods/other stuff are out there for Guild 2 pirates? I remember hearing something about this in the threads at some point, but I dont want to wade through 2 100 page threads to find it.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited July 2010

Just checked my gift card and I have like $7 on it. Gonna nab both Zombie Island and Noxx. I heard the other one was pretty mediocre.

Zerokku on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

top right hand corner, click on account I think.

Ah, thank you.

Steam Sale:

Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Tropico 3
    Tropico 3: Absolute Power
    Freedom Force Pack
    Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
    Red Faction Guerrilla
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
    Ghostbusters: The Videogame

Week Before Steam Sale:

Transformers: War for Cybertron
    Mirror's Edge
    Oblivion Game of the Year Delux

So about $42 during the sale and $48 the week prior totally $90.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you are only going to buy one X-Com, UFO Defense is indeed the correct answer.

Dehumanized on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good Lord, I cannot win anything other than time victories in Civilization.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dawn of Discovery Gold: worth it for the $20? I haven't heard much about it and I already got a ton of games from this sale but I'm intrigued, I love a good city-builder.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So far, of the games I've installed and been able to play, I'm most happy with my Introversion pack

Just booted up Uplink for the first time and god damn but these people develop some awesome games

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jclast wrote: »

General Knoxx.

If it ends up being 2, skip the underdome pack for sure.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good Lord, I cannot win anything other than time victories in Civilization.

Try for a diplomacy or space race victory. I think they're the next easiest ways to win. The conquest paths are really long and challenging.

Dehumanized on
    edited July 2010
    Haikira wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

General Knoxx.

If it ends up being 2, skip the underdome pack for sure.

It ended up being 2, and I did :lol:

Zerokku on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So far, of the games I've installed and been able to play, I'm most happy with my Introversion pack

Just booted up Uplink for the first time and god damn but these people develop some awesome games

God I loved Uplink. A couple of friends and I installed it on computers in my class. We used to work away at it during any free time. Think I'll pick up the pack.

I've also played and enjoyed Defcon. How's darwinia/multiwinia though?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__