As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Verify Your Account NOW

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guys I'm still looking for really good tower defense games. I own Defense Grid (and all its expansions) and I own Plants Vs Zombies. But I need more.

Here's a good, free one.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/IriySoft/cursed-treasure-dont-touch-my-gems

emnmnme on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only thing I bought this time around was Tropico reloaded.

Though If I didn't have bills to deal with it probably would have been a very different story.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huh, Borderlands is actually good.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Er, Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't run on Mac? I thought all ValveSource games were released on OSX?

Anyways, if anyone's doing a groupbuy, count me in. :)

Nope, they're releasing them at the rate of 1 every 2 weeks. (With the exception of the HL2 episodes, which came out along side HL2)

Games currently released:
    -Portal (Math 12th)
    -Half-Life 2 Series (May 26th)
    -Team Fortress 2 (June 10th)
    -Counter-Strike: Source (June 23rd)

Remaining Games that will most likely see release
    -Day of Defeat: Source
    -Left 4 Dead
    -Left 4 Dead 2

Remaining Games that MIGHT see release
    -Half-Life: Source
    -Half-Life: Source Deathmatch
    -Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
    -Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Garry's Mod dude ported over Gmod as well.

EDIT: Also, if they keep the rate up, we should see a game this week (I'm guessing Day of Defeat: Source personally, I think L4D 1 or 2 would have some buildup (and probably be released alongside each other). Though given that the engineer update for TF2 is finally coming out this week, they may skip putting out a Mac port for today.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    So, The Guild. Quite a learning curve in the beginning, I think I'm kind of getting the hang of it. Digging it regardless of confusion.

Same, digging into the manual helps a bit. Could have used a tutorial of some sort, although I find it pretty cool so far.

Now if only it and Darklands would have their own dynasty.

I can dream, right?

It does have a tutorial, although a very basic one.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    Huh, Borderlands is actually good.

This. I played it for like an hour at a friends house on the 360 once. I was not really impressed. Picked it up with a friend during the sale and my gosh is Borderlands brilliant. Love it so much.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I'm guessing I should crack open Borderlands first? Yeah that sounds about right

Rent on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guys I'm still looking for really good tower defense games. I own Defense Grid (and all its expansions) and I own Plants Vs Zombies. But I need more.

Try Harvest: Massive Encounter for a very different type of tower defense game. It has resource gathering like an RTS, but all you have are defensive laser and missile towers. There's no demo on Steam, but there is one here.

SteevL on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey if anyone wants ta Borderlands it up with an old vet I'll totally play with you guys

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    So, The Guild. Quite a learning curve in the beginning, I think I'm kind of getting the hang of it. Digging it regardless of confusion.

Same, digging into the manual helps a bit. Could have used a tutorial of some sort, although I find it pretty cool so far.

Now if only it and Darklands would have their own dynasty.

I can dream, right?

It does have a tutorial, although a very basic one.

Indeed. I would love to more about production. I don't want to have to manage all my buildings, so I set the AI to do some, but I also want my farms to drop off stuff at the baker...I don't know how to make it happen this way or if it does already. Still, a good tutorial, just more of the internal functions would be good to have laid out.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pixeljunk Monsters on PS3/PSP is great too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd never played a tower defense game before picking up Grid Defense yesterday, and I think I can see myself getting hooked on this genre. Is this representative of what they're all like, or is defense grid especially good?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Hey if anyone wants ta Borderlands it up with an old vet I'll totally play with you guys

Man once I get the hang of this I would love to do this

Man I'm excited to play Borderlands, I need a change from the rage that Alpha Protocol induces

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rent send me a friend request on Steam and hopefully if my internet is not total bullshit I will Border some lands with you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Steam thread, I have $60 to gift my brother a game.

He likes strategy games, military stuff, RPGs, shooters.

Likely suggestions that he already has:

Fallout 3
    Arma 2
    Borderlands
    Orange Box
    Operation Flashpoint
    Dawn of War II

HALP

Come Wednesday I'm just going to ask him what he wants, but I'd prefer to be cooler than that. And by I I do mean you guys.

Also he's not that much into FPS's that are primarily online short round competitive stuff, a-la CS, BFBC2, etc.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Somehow the description of Torchlight as a Diablo clone never really grabbed me. I grabbed Torchlight on this sale and I have to say, it's a lot more satisfying to me than Diablo ever was. It must be the cartoonish graphics done just right, the pet that can sell your stuff, AND the World of Warcraft style glowy weapons. Man I hope Diablo III is half this good.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    Steam thread, I have $60 to gift my brother a game.

He likes strategy games, military stuff, RPGs, shooters.

Likely suggestions that he already has:

Fallout 3
    Arma 2
    Borderlands
    Orange Box
    Operation Flashpoint
    Dawn of War II

HALP

Come Wednesday I'm just going to ask him what he wants, but I'd prefer to be cooler than that. And by I I do mean you guys.

Also he's not that much into FPS's that are primarily online short round competitive stuff, a-la CS, BFBC2, etc.

For strategy and military, you could check out Men of War, Company of Heroes, and/or World in Conflict.

RPG and shooters? How about Mass Effect 1 & 2 if he hasn't played those already? Mass Effect 1 is 19.99 and Mass Effect 2 is 39.99.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rent send me a friend request on Steam and hopefully if my internet is not total bullshit I will Border some lands with you

What's your SteamID

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fallout 3 is pretty awesome, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »

What's your SteamID

DetectiveOlivaw

But I imagine there aren't that many that have "Olivaw" in their name

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trine
    Freedom Force pack
    X-com UFO defense
    Thief Deadly Shadows
    Red Faction Guerrilla
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Star Wars TFU Sith Edition

Can't wait to try these Freedom Force games and X-com

I mean, I've gotten as far as shooting down a UFO in X-com, but I have no idea how the game really works. I guess I have a lot of dying to look forward to!

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Snip

For strategy and military, you could check out Men of War, Company of Heroes, and/or World in Conflict.

RPG and shooters? How about Mass Effect 1 & 2 if he hasn't played those already? Mass Effect 1 is 19.99 and Mass Effect 2 is 39.99.

I believe he's already played ME 1&2 on 360, but thanks for those other suggestions!

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Alpha Protocol

Despite it being one of the most infuriating games I've ever played it has some of the best storytelling and characters in any game...well...ever really

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know that it has great characters, really

The story moves along too fast to really get attached to more than a few of the myriad characters

That's the nature of a globetrotting spy adventure, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay I'm trying to launch Borderlands but every time I try it just...never loads

Doesn't give me an error screen, nothing, it just...doesn't load

ed: and then suddenly for no reason...it works

Rent on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know that it has great characters, really
    Hey now, not every game can be Hotel Dusk.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    I'd never played a tower defense game before picking up Grid Defense yesterday, and I think I can see myself getting hooked on this genre. Is this representative of what they're all like, or is defense grid especially good?

This is a bit late in reply but here's what I can tell you.

Having played Defense Grid, I can vouch that is a very good entry in the genre. The narrator adds a lot to that game with his British accent and sense of urgency.

I first got into the tower defense genre with Warcraft 3. There are some good WC3 defense maps available, including one that was actually published by Blizzard. It makes use of hero units and is a bit different spin on things cause your heroes are basically mobile turrets with several abilities.

On PS3, PSP and iPhone there's a Final Fantasy tower defense game called Crystal Defenders. Its got all the staple Final Fantasy stuff in it. Tonberries, Malboros, behemonths, and a bunch more. I find that this particular game is actually quite challenging. Its one of the harder tower defense games I've played.

Probably the crown jewel of TD games (in my opinion) is Plants Vs Zombies. This game has humor, charm, and just a ton of personality. It isn't very challenging necessarily, but I'd say its the most fun out of all the ones I've played. You should definitely check this one out on Steam if you're looking for other games in the genre to try out.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, after rigorous and intense study I have determined that this "Borderlands" is the greatest game ever made

but damn do I need a controller, I'm sorry but mouse and keyboard is just not for me

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, after rigorous and intense study I have determined that this "Borderlands" is the greatest game ever made

but damn do I need a controller, I'm sorry but mouse and keyboard is just not for me

This is a position that completely baffles me. What about it feels wrong to you, out of curiosity?

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Borderlands is one of those weird shooters where the mouse movement feels a little sticky or something, rather like Bioshock did

It feels like a console port, is what I'm saying, and I can understand wanting a gamepad to alleviate that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My favorite tower defense game is probably Immortal Defense. It's got good gameplay mechanics and an interesting plot.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    SvenSven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If people are organizing some boarderlanding im down for some. we would have to start new though. As iv reformatted sense i last played.

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Borderlands is one of those weird shooters where the mouse movement feels a little sticky or something, rather like Bioshock did

It feels like a console port, is what I'm saying, and I can understand wanting a gamepad to alleviate that

For what it's worth, there are some changes you can make to the config file to make mouse control play like a normal shooter. I forgot what they were, but I'm sure they're in the Borderlands thread.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snip

I believe he's already played ME 1&2 on 360, but thanks for those other suggestions!

I can't recommend World in Conflict and Dawn of War II enough. Both of them are awesome takes on RTS's in general, and both have exceptional expansion packs.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Like most things, it's because UE3 sucks. Find enablemousesmothing in the ini's and disable it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm enjoying Borderlands, but good god I just had a terrible situation with the respawning. Namely, respawning at the middle checkpoint of a level, running back because the freakishly strong guy in front of me is lingering nearby, only to find that all the enemies I had killed earlier had respawned and now I can't make it to the first spawn point without dying and I can't fight my way back because of the freak.

$6000 of respawns later, I quit. When I try again I'll look for the quit mission option so I can go level up and get vengeance.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Like most things, it's because UE3 sucks. Find enablemousesmothing in the ini's and disable it

where is this

This is a position that completely baffles me. What about it feels wrong to you, out of curiosity?

I'm a playstation kid, tapping keys is just weird to me

I think it's because up to now all primary control of my games have been with my thumbs so to use my fingers, especially to do stuff like move and reload, is bizarre

Rent on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

For what it's worth, there are some changes you can make to the config file to make mouse control play like a normal shooter. I forgot what they were, but I'm sure they're in the Borderlands thread.

There's an aim assist setting in the options, I shut it off immediately.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I found it in the config folder, baseinput.ini

Maybe it will help!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snip

I can't recommend World in Conflict and Dawn of War II enough. Both of them are awesome takes on RTS's in general, and both have exceptional expansion packs.

Also, Company of Heroes is going F2P at some point in the next few months, so at least the base game will be free.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter