The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Selling a junk car

ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
A few months back my car's engine exploded, completely ruining the engine block. It's a mid-90s car and not worth replacing, so I need to get rid of it now that I'm moving.

What is the process for getting rid of a junk car? I have the title but I hear it's more complicated than just giving it to the new owner. Anything I need to be aware of?

If it matters, this is in the state of Oregon.

Zenitram on


  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it won't drive, your best bet is to find a local (ish) scrapyard and sell it to them. Depending on how much of a wreck it is they might give you a few bucks for it.

    There are also metal recycling services that will come to you and pick up scrap metal, often free of charge.

    If you actually have found someone else who wants it and is able to transport it, I think it is as simple as transferring the title.

    edit: although frankly I would only worry about the title if the car is going to be driven again.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    accept your death, and become dangerous
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you want to get some cash for it, look up scrap yards in your area, call them up, see if they do pickup and how much they'll give you for the vehicle. It may not be drivable, but the parts might be worth a fair bit depending on year, make & model. If you don't care about the cash and just want it gone, you could also consider donating it to Habitat for Humanity. Even that could result in a kickback to you in the form of a tax receipt to you once it's been sold to a wrecker. In either event, you probably will need the title to do this.

    vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it won't drive, your best bet is to find a local (ish) scrapyard and sell it to them.

    IIRC, selling your car to a scrap yard is the same as selling the car to a regular buyer. So long as you hold the title, you can do what you want with the vehicle. Just let them know that they'll have to come out and tow it.

    EDIT: Here ya go, looks like they do service all over the place in the USA.

    Raekreu on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are places that take old cars and repair them, and give you the tax write-off for it. The ones I know of are local women's shelters and the like. The women themselves don't repair it, but other people, usually from a local community college or tech school, do the fixing and give it to them so they can get on with their lives with one less thing to worry about. When my cars go to crap and are beyond their worth, that's what I do. I've unfortunately had to do it twice.

    L Ron Howard on
    NNID - bejamus
Sign In or Register to comment.