As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post-High school Education

SqueejSqueej Registered User new member
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I just graduated, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with names of schools and programs related to the gaming industry that I could look into. Any help would be appreciated!

Squeej on

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    www.sloperama.com

That should be your first stop. He has an excellent series of articles on how to get into the games industry, including talking about the various educational options out there.

There are a few people on these forums who are going/have gone to one of the 'game' schools, but just as an anecdotal note - going to a game school, while it certainly helps, is not the only way into the industry. Of the people I work with on a daily basis, they have the following:

Three English degrees

Two film school diplomas

A Philosophy degree

Two History degrees

A Chemistry degree

That's just off the top of my head. That's not to say that going to a Digipen or Full Sail isn't a good thing - it's an equally valid way into the industry! Just don't ignore other options.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think getting a Computer Science degree is more helpful than going to Full Sail in the long run. In the end, you get more of a general education in case the game industry doesn't work out. Computer Science will get you lots of other jobs while you search for your dream position in a game company, too. If you're looking for a lead project design position or something like that, you're going to need to work your way up to it pretty much from the bottom if you go into an existing studio. Those jobs are few and far between unless you own your own company.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think getting a Computer Science degree is more helpful than going to Full Sail in the long run. In the end, you get more of a general education in case the game industry doesn't work out. Computer Science will get you lots of other jobs while you search for your dream position in a game company, too. If you're looking for a lead project design position or something like that, you're going to need to work your way up to it pretty much from the bottom if you go into an existing studio. Those jobs are few and far between unless you own your own company.

Limed so hard.

Tejs on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it is not easy to get into the games industry.

Not to mention, the hours and pay can be a bit unexpected - you may not want to do it for the rest of your life. So getting some education that could be applied elsewhere is not a bad idea in the slightest.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If nothing else you can get an IT job and program games in your spare time. That's great for building a resume and eventually, if you're talented enough, you'll get noticed and picked up.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "The gaming industry" is not a job. You can get a specific job in the gaming industry, but you have to have some idea of that before you run off and get a degree in it. If it's something like comp sci you're probably better off not even bothering with gaming at all, because "gaming" jobs are often another way of saying longer hours typing stuff into a computer withotu getting paid extra.

TychoCelchuuu on