As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How would i gimp/photoshop this?

MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have enough gimp knowledge to resize/rotate layers.

What I want to do is take the middle face from the image on the right of http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Smiler

And for lack of a better term, pandaize it for avatar use. So taking the color out of the face, putting black circles around the eyes (but keeping the underlying eye socket... geometry?) Making the head bump things black.

How would I do this?

camo_sig2.png
Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
Madpanda on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It won't be too hard. You're mostly going to be working with the lasso selection tool and a transparent brush. Do it all on a separate layer. That's your easiest bet.

You could also select the area and then darken it instead, but the brush will give you more control.

Edit: Oops, and for taking the colour out? Greyscale would be the easiest thing for you. You can cut out the face, paste to a new layer, greyscale that layer, and then brighten it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It doesn't look like it would be too hard, just make sure you use layers. Layers are the best thing in the entire world, and I miss them so much now that I don't have a photoshop. I loathe paint, and that's all I have to work with.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Forkes wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it would be too hard, just make sure you use layers. Layers are the best thing in the entire world, and I miss them so much now that I don't have a photoshop. I loathe paint, and that's all I have to work with.

That is why paint.NET exists. It might be a good idea for Madpanda to use it too, it's simpler to use than both GIMP and Photoshop (though it pays the price in number of features.)

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something like this?
    Untitled-2.jpg

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll check out paint.net and that spoiler after work, as they block basically every image hosting site on the internet.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Forkes wrote: »

Why not use GIMP? It's free. I went from Photoshop (old job paid for it) to GIMP (No one was paying for PS) and it takes some getting used too, but once you do; it's very powerful.

Mad Panda, since you're going to "Pandazie" it, a simple way would be to Duplicate the layer, Colors -> Desaturate (Turn it black and white), Colors -> Brightness Contrast (Turn down the brightness alot, increase the contrast a bit). Right click on the very dark layer in the layers menu, hit add layer mask (Black full transparency). The original image should be shown now. Select your airbrush tool (or anything really), set your color to white, select your (Dark and Masked) layer and then paint around his eyes with the white. What that will do is make the darklayer show up. Also, if u switch your color to white, it will hide the dark layer where u brush.

This will allow all the details and features to show up as you "paint them black".

If you're super new to GIMP and that doesn't make sense to you, let me know and I can be more specific and such.

Quick and Dirty via that method. Very similar to Forke's, I just wanted to show you what I said would produce.
    sadpanda.png

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    <<<

Doneish. Might make the nose coloring a bit bigger so it shows up better in avatar size. And that border on the left and top are proving to be a pain to remove.

Thanks for all the help!

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice! And a trick to getting rid of those corners is to use the method I put in my previous post of layer masks. This is such a powerful trick, I feel it should be in any PS/ GIMP user's arsenal.

But make a transparent layer below your panda guy. Add a layer mask to your panda guy with full opacity. Pop your brush on and spray away the corners. I like this method better then erase, cause you can put back some stuff you accidentally erased by spraying it with the opposite color (black vs white) and you don't have to CTRL+Z.

DrunkMc on