As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unusual job follow up problem

ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So a friend of mine works at bug-testing place and got me and another friend interviews there, because they are actively hiring.

The interviews were on June 4th, and went well from what I gathered, save for the part where I had to leave town for the week of the 21st. The other friend had no such plans, and was actually hired the day of.

I'd assumed that if i was to be hired, it would no doubt be after my trip, since it would be silly to hire someone only for them to have to take a week off.

The Tuesday after that week, the 29th, I sent a follow up email to my interviewer, who is also the person in charge of hiring reminding her that I was back, available, ready and willing.

Yesterday I had still not received a reply, so I called her around 1pm. She told me that she had not had the chance to go through her emails and that she would review the results of the technical portion of the interview and get back to me at 5pm.

She did not call, but had I also neglected to leave my number - I must have assumed she had it on hand.

I called twice more today, both unanswered.

I know for fact that they are still hiring, as my friend has mentioned

There are a handful of factors that hands down make me a better choice than our other friend

The second time I called today, I had texted my original friend to make sure she was in fact at her office, which she was.

Would someone in charge of hiring actively ignore a candidate instead of telling them that they're not interested? Would it be possible that she's simply too busy right now?

What are my options here? I realize that 'forget about it' is the most likely reply here, but I'd very much like this job.

I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
ApexMirage on

• Options
    DoraBDoraB Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Obviously a courtesy response along the lines of "I'm sorry, but you're not who we're looking for/whatever" would be nice, but the fact is that a lot of people unfortunately DO just ignore people they don't plan on hiring. There are a lot of reasons why; simple desire to avoid delivering bad news/awkward situations, rudeness, or, as my old boss used to say, "I have barely enough time as it is for the people I WANT to hire." He was a big fan of, "Don't call us, we'll call you."

That said, I guess, you can't say for sure unless you hear it from the horse's mouth. The person in charge of hiring could indeed be too busy. The general rule of etiquette for job-seeking, I was always told, is one phone call a day in regards to following up. (And also when I was in charge of hiring at my old job, multiple phone calls were incredibly annoying since we were almost always busy.) I would call tomorrow in the afternoon (mornings are almost always busiest no matter what area you're in) and just say, "Hi, this is ___, I noticed I forgot to leave you my number when we spoke the other day. I was checking in to see if you've had a chance to review my information." It's polite, shows you're still interested, and gives her a chance to tell you "Thanks but no thanks" if that's what's going on.

At that point, if she still gives you the run around in the form of more vague answers, or says she'll call you back and never does, I'd write them off. Obviously it sucks because you want this job, but you deserve at the very least the most basic professional courtesy, and I don't have time for people who don't make time for me.

DoraB on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ApexMirage wrote: »

The interviews were on June 4th, and went well from what I gathered, save for the part where I had to leave town for the week of the 21st. The other friend had no such plans, and was actually hired the day of.

[snip]

Would someone in charge of hiring actively ignore a candidate instead of telling them that they're not interested? Would it be possible that she's simply too busy right now?

In response to your questions, many HR departments won't give any response at all after an interview where you are not selected as a candidate. Considering your buddy was offered a job on the spot that is probably what happened here. However it is possible that they've been super busy.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they hired him the day of the interview, why wouldn't they hire you the day of the interview, with a delayed start date?

Seol on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The company I work for right now took a month and a half to finally get back to me. They had a job opening, weren't flooded with viable candidates (specific background required), but for other reasons just couldn't commit to hiring someone at that time.
    Keep following up until someone there tells you not to.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The company I work for right now took a month and a half to finally get back to me. They had a job opening, weren't flooded with viable candidates (specific background required), but for other reasons just couldn't commit to hiring someone at that time.
    Keep following up until someone there tells you not to.

This is a real quick way to keep from getting hired. Pestering them over and over is just going to annoy them. They know you've followed up. Your friend who works there knows. Sit on your hands at this point. You've already called them a little too much.

And to solidify the other posters responses, no, you will often not get a call back telling you you haven't been hired.

Esh on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I called or e-mailed once a week to let my current employer know that I was still interested in the job.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I called or e-mailed once a week to let my current employer know that I was still interested in the job.

I think your situation and this situation are very different. They're immediately hiring and your company wasn't. He has a friend on the inside who can keep him up to date. Maybe in a week he should check back, but for now he should probably stop. If she's going to hire him, she's going to call back.

Esh on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Assuming the decision hasn't been finalized, I'd be much more likely to hire someone who followed up once a week than someone who either never called back or who called every day.

If the decision has already been finalized, then they'll eventually buckle and tell you the position has been filled or some other phrase to get you to stop calling.

(Edit: and yes, I am in a position where I actively get to choose my own hires.)

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You didn't get hired, and they're not going to hire you. Now move on and stop losing sleep over it.

Instead of telling you 'no' outright, they just never say anything and ignore you/brush you off until you get the hint.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not sure how it is in every company but from my experience such jobs usually only hire testers the moment they need them and keep them only as long as necessary. That week they needed more testers. Your friend was available, you were not. The other available slots were taken by other people available immediately. If they decided to keep you in their callback list they'll probably only call you the next time a project decides to increase it's number of testers.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You might be on some second-string list. I worked HR for a while and sometimes there would be people that we thought would be okay for the position, but weren't 100% "yes, hire immediately." For those people, they were on a "being considered" list but we were still actively looking for other candidates who we thought might suit us better.

When you do call them back (and I would slow down on that a little - a couple times a week is enough), I would phrase your questions as "Am I still being considered for X position?" and "When do you expect to make final decisions?" The first one lets them tell you if you're still in the running at all, the second gives you a better idea of what the company's time frame is for making the hire.

illirica on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is tricky and depends on the situation.

For instance, where I work (bug testing department at an IT firm) we are actively hiring but our Manager has been away due to personal reasons for over two weeks. If you were calling here you'd be told the same thing. That the technical portion of the interview will take place later.

Ask your friend if his/her manager is in the office. Not the HR manager but the actual manager.

Sipex on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    I know for fact that they are still hiring, as my friend has mentioned

There are a handful of factors that hands down make me a better choice than our other friend
    "Better choice"? Or "more qualified"? If it's an entry-level position, they may have felt you were over-qualified for the job. Companies will often pass on good candidates because they're too skilled/experienced for the positions available and they'd have no advancement opportunities on the horizon. Putting an over-qualified person in a lower level position with no avenues for advancement often means you're just going to need to refill the position when the hire finds a more fulfilling and/or better paying job elsewhere. Hiring and training new staff costs big $$$, which is why HR departments try to minimize turnover.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer