As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Web help: Need searchable Strat guide

SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am trying to figure out what is out there to help me with my situation, and trying to determine if I can do this project or not.

The end result would be Quest writeups for some lesser played mmogs, we would not be going up against what is out there for WoW or anything like that.

What I am looking at is essentially a series of documents (quest writeups) that are searchable based on supplied metadata like starting zone, ending zone, quest reward, mobs involved, etc...

I am not looking at an item database at this point, just documents that can be searched for via some configurable metadata.

Is there any software out of the box that could do that for me? Can post-nuke do that? Can word press do that? Any suggestions on what Ccontent Management System could get me what I like?

Would making this in MySQL myself kill me? I pretty well versed in access, vba, flash, and pretty well read in C++ (but lack have so far lacked the time and knowledge of netcode to get my C project off the ground). Would a MySQL and PHP beginner book get me to where I need to me in a few months?

My biggest fear in doing it myself is a total lack of linux experience and securing the site from people who might want to delete shit just to be dicks. Would I need to learn a lot about linux to use MySQL on the remote server or could I develop it using windows tools and then upload it to the linux server without much trouble?

Could any kind soul point me in the right direction so I can tell my wife if I can pull this off (and how long it would take) or if we should look elsewhere.

Originally we were just going to do maps and comics/rants. I could design that site easy. Now she wants to add in a partner that wants to do quest writeups, that will take work.

Smudge on