As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Read Thread, Proliferate.

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    it's not the crazy newer one
    its the 'everyone draw one +2; target draws one -1; mill 20 -10" one

i know there is another jace that is just insane

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basically as a color blue exists just to piss people off.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i know
    blue pisses me off so much
    but i love that white/blue deck a bunches

and i really want to make a black/blue

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really want to make a red/green Eldrazi deck. I'm sure it would lose 90% of the time, but that 10% where I got to play the crazy powerful creatures would so make it worth while.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    black/blue

color choice of champions

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My black/blue deck is my total mill deck.

My current white/blue deck is made up of all merfolk and knights but its bloated and sucks. So now I'm thinking maybe just some of the better knights, Venser, a couple of Lighthouses, and a ton of blue spells.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Black/blue was my favorite ravnica guild.

Glimpse the unthinkable HOOO!

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SLyM wrote: »
    Black/blue was my favorite ravnica guild.

Glimpse the unthinkable HOOO!

Green/White motherfucka

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to pay money for this game. Now I'm poor and I just print cards and affix them to the thousands and thousands of bullshit cards I still have from all those booster packs.

Way cheaper. Also magic workstation.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to pay money for this game. Now I'm poor and I just print cards and affix them to the thousands and thousands of bullshit cards I still have from all those booster packs.

COOL STORY BRO

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    B.C. wrote: »

COOL STORY BRO

Hey thanks bro we should chill out and have some jagger bo- hey wait a second.

Well I mean some people were complaining about the cost of magic...

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    i dont think that would go over well
    they hate planeswalkers and most new cards

i saw this 15/15 annihilator 6 eldrazi thing in someone else's deck the other day

i am inclined to agree with my friends that that cards like that are stupid and i'm trying to follow their house rules as close as possible

Wait, they love EDH but hate planeswalkers?

I can understand a disliking of the way all of the value in sets lately have been shifting towards a couple of choice mythics, but at the same time even if that's a lowered incentive towards cracking packs (which I enjoy as much as the next cardboard addict) one would think that the decreased cost of many (if not most) rares and uncommons would make that a blessing.

I would disagree. Mainly because of one thing: trading. It is very, very hard to trade for a Jace or a Vengevine or a Baneslayer or a Gideon. People around here will basically only trade them for another expensive mythic, or in a trade involving a huge pile of rares that is grossly in their favor. But $5 cards and $10 cards and even $20 cards are easy to trade for.

I'd rather have a decent amount of 5-20 dollar rares than a bunch of cheapo rares and a handful of important 30+ dollar mythics.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would disagree. Mainly because of one thing: trading. It is very, very hard to trade for a Jace or a Vengevine or a Baneslayer or a Gideon. People around here will basically only trade them for another expensive mythic, or in a trade involving a huge pile of rares that is grossly in their favor. But $5 cards and $10 cards and even $20 cards are easy to trade for.

I'd rather have a decent amount of 5-20 dollar rares than a bunch of cheapo rares and a handful of important 30+ dollar mythics.

Funny, I was just arguing that exact point on MTGS.

And I agree, to an extent. However, let's be realistic, unless you're willing to go vastly overboard, the person is ignorant of the card's value, or they're a friend / feeling generous, almost no number of $5 rares is going to get you a Baneslayer, Vengevine or Jace2.0. They're just too far above the average that the owner of such insanity is likely better off drafting, cracking or buying online what they want than giving up such a choice card (which will likely retain at least some value in part due to older format appreciation) rather than trading off even for otherwise Standard Staples that will likely depreciate heavily in the next year or two.

I totally think that WOTC needs to work harder to ensure that the value of a set is more broadly spaced than it has been of late, but at the same time 45 cent rares make for some easy deck building. I've got like a dozen cards coming for my Myr deck that cost me a pittance, which I can appreciate, but as someone who does some light trading and enjoys cracking packs, I do wish they'd worked harder at building an incentive towards doing so into the set. Dozens of dollar or under rares are great as a consumer, but don't help out my local stores where I usually buy boxes, if you see what I mean.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kusu now i totally want to make a black white teysa edh deck

i have needed to make a new one for quite a while

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is anyone else kind of annoyed that they wasted five rare slots in Scars on more dual lands? We already had three different cycles of dual lands legal in standard. It's so redundant.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a pair of friends who are pretty much always trading for more dual lands. All the time.

I think Wizards know what people want, and I think that people want dual lands.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I did blue/green at the prerelease sealed deck thingie.

Combine blue's natural ability to piss your opponent off with a bunch of creatures with infect and proliferate.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just read all the new cards from the new set. Might play magic online but I need to know some things.

I mostly only want to play sealed events. Will I be able to trade my best cards from sealed events for tickets and packs to help pay the cost of the next sealed event? What percentage of the entry fees can I expect to reduce by doing this? How much will an average sealed event cost and how long will it take to finish if I top eight?

What are the bad things to look out for in MTG online?

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    kusu now i totally want to make a black white teysa edh deck

i have needed to make a new one for quite a while

im almost done making mine :)

so happy my friends have all the super expensive cards

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Foolproof wrote: »
    I just read all the new cards from the new set. Might play magic online but I need to know some things.

I mostly only want to play sealed events. Will I be able to trade my best cards from sealed events for tickets and packs to help pay the cost of the next sealed event? What percentage of the entry fees can I expect to reduce by doing this? How much will an average sealed event cost and how long will it take to finish if I top eight?

Bad things in MTGO: the client

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    welp i might just reinstall that thing that lets you make decks

i regret not saving all the crazy EDH decks i made on that before i reformatted

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Foolproof wrote: »

Bad things in MTGO: the client

I spent over an hour downloading it and it tells me I have an error with the kicker. I kinda expected it because my D&D insider login never accepts my password and I need to reset it whenever I log on. That is a subscription I'll never renew. I'll just buy the best of hardcover and they can kiss the rest of my money goodbye.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah it took me twelve forevers just to get the stupid thing running
    Then I lost a couple of drafts due to the client freezing and/or disconnecting me during selection and not even throwing an error

Then I stopped using it

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seems like a case of hasbro being too worried about losing money due to people 'stealing' their games and not worried enough about losing money because they piss off their paying customers with bad security schemes.

The psychology of loss needs to be explained to these business types. You'd think gamers in a game companies would explain it to their bosses.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what

I heard that people tend to remember or react to loses three times as much as gains. People that understand this psychological proclivity can game opponents better.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh. I never had a problem with the online client. Other than it opened a black hole into my bank account.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ccrashing and disconnecting and other obvious showstoppers aside, the interface strikes me as super clunky and ugly.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    These new cards are all hella broken.

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Infect is craaaazy.

crazy awesome

Until you have to deal with it.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i haven't played with the new cards

i bet i'll be frustrated by infect if i draft this weekend

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

nope!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They're just a step up in power level compared to the older sets.

Makes my Kamigawa block even more of a joke. :(

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yes because these cards completely surpass stuff like Tolarian Academy, Yawgmoth's Will, or the Power 9 :rotate:

Scars seems like a bit of a let down in the constructed playables department to me.

This is what I've brewed for States

4 Lotus Cobra
    3 Oracle of Mul Daya
    2 Avenger of Zendikar
    2 Wurm Coil Engine

4 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    1 Chandra Nalaar

2 Jace's Ingenuity
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Burst Lightning
    3 Mana Leak
    4 Explore
    4 Preordain

4 Raging Ravine
    1 Rootbound Crag
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Halimar Depths
    1 Evolving Wilds
    4 Forest
    3 Island
    3 Mountain

Just gotta work out a sideboard and then do some testing

B.C. on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm still proud of myself for breaking Tolarian Academy before it got big with the pro douches

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no fetches or titans bc? fancy pants

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    no fetches or titans bc? fancy pants

9 Fetches, and Wurmcoil Engine is the artifact Titan 8-)

Primeval Titan doesn't do anything in this deck except make Avenger even more huge. Avenger wins you the game if you get to untap with him and his tokens on board. He also stabilizes the board against the random dork aggro decks that are going to pop up.

Wurmcoil engine comes down immediately stabilizes your life total against the dork aggro lists. It's also basically impossible to lose against mono red with an Engine in play unless they pop a Quest for the Pure Flame and hit you with a metric fuck ton of burn (Which they are honestly quite capable of doing).

Primeval Titan comes down and grabs you a couple lands wooooo.

B.C. on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    whoa shit
    except for all the fetches

i just woke up so yeah

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I was wondering why you weren't on AIM

B.C. on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oh also today i took out a rhys EDH deck and my new ezuri EDH by myself using... mistmeadow witch

i swung with the witch for 13 (two sword of light and shadow, 1 fire and ice, 1 barbed battlegear) and got 13 tokens off of a non-prowled notorious throng(!!)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*