As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Have you been posting? I'm sorry but I'll have to see some [RealID]!

• Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, see, it's a contract. You can't just leave a contract because you feel like it. If Blizzard were to break the contract by saying, "Sorry, Facebook, we're leaving because we've created our own social networking system" Facebook would rightfully sue the hell out of them.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, see, it's a contract. You can't just leave a contract because you feel like it. If Blizzard were to break the contract by saying, "Sorry, Facebook, we're leaving because we've created our own social networking system" Facebook would rightfully sue the hell out of them.

Contracts can be bought out of or have escape clauses and it can be on an annual renew basis, for all you know it doesn't stop Blizzard/Activision developing an alternative and then releasing it when that deal ends. Like I said, money rules these things.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If there is some cockamamie master plan behind all of this, it most likely has something to do with their stupid "eSports" obsession, and not some insidious plot to sell your personal information to Adolf Stalin, Jr.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If there is some cockamamie master plan behind all of this, it most likely has something to do with their stupid "eSports" obsession, and not some insidious plot to sell your personal information to Adolf Stalin, Jr.

Who said it was to sell your personal information to Adolf Stalin, Jr?

It'll be stuff like name, location, likes, dislikes etc so the marketing companies can uniquely identify you and tailor custom advertisements in order to maximise sales. This stuff isn't brain surgery, it's pretty well established now and it makes people like facebook money. Why wouldn't any company want in on that kind of income source?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Who said it was to sell your personal information to Adolf Stalin, Jr?

It'll be stuff like name, location, likes, dislikes etc so the marketing companies can uniquely identify you and tailor custom advertisements in order to maximise sales. This stuff isn't brain surgery, it's pretty well established now and it makes people like facebook money. Why wouldn't any company want in on that kind of income source?

E-sports has nothing to do with this, they are both separate cockamamie pyramid schemes for making more moneys.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well as a woman I feel that this is absolutely terrible, I mean it's okay since I guess I'll just never post on the WoW forums ever again but I'm worried they will keep pushing this crazy thing more and more and I'll have to quit just to protect my real identity. I doubt blizzard/activision has any women on their realID team.

Sorry, this is a crock of shit.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What part of that are you calling a crock of shit? The no women on the team part?

Opty on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can only guess the no women on the team part.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

And even if it was, Adolf Stalin, Jr., is actually a pretty chill guy. Gets a real bum reputation just based on his name.
    His dad, Adolf Sr., was the town drunk. Big disgrace to the family.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968987278&sid=1
    I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    What part of that are you calling a crock of shit? The no women on the team part?

Yeah sorry should have singled that out.

"I feel threatened by this new thing so im going to create a strawman out of your community team. You must be all thoughtless men to have done this."

I hate that argument.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mark my words, the more Activision gets involved in Blizzard and battle.net policy, the more the love-hate philosophy of "we release things when we're done" will vanish.

People are already lining up to buy Blizzard titles based solely on their track record and the previous games in the series. Activision is going to want to cash in on this eventually, insisting on holiday launches that wouldn't meet the Blizzard standards of a decade ago, and rushing out expansions and sequels like you wouldn't believe

Javen on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is kind of interesting, Drysc posted this in reply to someone apologising for using him as an example of why using people's real names is stupid.
    I'm not sure if it's kosher at this point but I think I have the right, and I would like to state that at no time were any personal attacks made on me related or allowed to be interpreted as a mark against using real names on the forums. They were literally for nothing, and I ensured that was the case at every step. It wasn't too difficult.

Obviously the position on use of real names on the forums was reversed, for good reason, and that was based on a lot of factors taken in from the actual feedback received.

I say these things for one, because I want there to be no sense of accomplishment that any one "got to me" or by attempting to make an example did anything but act like a jerk and go against basic principles of attempting to lead a good and decent life, of which I strive for every day. And secondly, because I am just too hot to handle and too cold to hold. What What!? Peace!

But then the thread got deleted, mmo-champ's blue tracker caught it in time, though.

First paragraph sounds like arrogant bullshit to me. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, you don't exactly want to empower the types of people who pulled dirty shit like we saw going on by showing the reaction they're trying to encite.

Javen on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Mark my words, the more Activision gets involved in Blizzard and battle.net policy, the more the love-hate philosophy of "we release things when we're done" will vanish.

People are already lining up to buy Blizzard titles based solely on their track record and the previous games in the series. Activision is going to want to cash in on this eventually, insisting on holiday launches that wouldn't meet the Blizzard standards of a decade ago, and rushing out expansions and sequels like you wouldn't believe

They already are. Aren't they making us buy Starcraft 2 3 times for a total of like $120-150?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They're not making you do anything.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    First paragraph sounds like arrogant bullshit to me. :(

Just sounds like he's angry and it did get to him, even though he's trying to hide it. A few of his posts come off short. In his position I think most people would be angry. He's been shit on by the internet to prove a point that some policy a guy X levels above him who doesn't give a shit about him made.

He did kinda bring it on by exposing himself though. It wasn't going to go any other way once he posted his name. Not saying people were right, it's just the nature of the net. It was a bad call which he'll be angry about too.

I kinda feel sorry for all the CM's. Ultimately they're taking the flak for this crap.

danx on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

They already are. Aren't they making us buy Starcraft 2 3 times for a total of like $120-150?
    8-)

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Aren't they making us buy three versions of Starcraft 2 for about $130 if we want to get the full Starcraft 2 experience?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    delroland wrote: »

Aren't they making us buy three versions of Starcraft 2 for about $130 if we want to get the full Starcraft 2 experience?

Nah, I bet you that you'll need to buy the 'deluxe' versions of all three for the 'full' Starcraft 2 experience, so you're still off!

Astale on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's an opt-in system!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, drysc went off the reservation.

When someone has to make a post about how no one 'got to them,' well.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uh, no. There are a variety of real-world things that can be found via google that I can't keep my name from being included in. Obviously facebook, but I've also been quoted in various publications, had my contact info on websites as a staffer, in addition to the various free databases in which my information can be found.

Plus I have a pretty unique name, so I'm really easy to track down if you know it.

Of course, I'm careful with online aliases, which is why on this forum (among other places) I am careful not to give away information that could identify me if you didn't already know me. The difference is that this RealID thing would have removed the ability to even be careful, just by tossing my name out there for everyone to see.

So you say I'm wrong, but you admit that you're careful, whereas others -- and this might shock you -- are not.

And again...
    They [being blizzard] shouldn't be making things easier, but people are acting like the floodgates aren't already open. Half the people <---[LOOK! NOT ALL! AMAZING!] in this thread are wide open with google and 15 minutes.

I'm not supporting Blizzard's damn RealID system, but frankly if you're worried about the some of the jumps in reason being made on here, then you should also be locking down your general online presence.

You of course bolded one sentence, and apparently failed to read the sentence right after it.

The "floodgate" is not "open" because currently anyone who cares to has the ability to be careful with their personal info and not have it widely distributed without prior consent. This was not going to be true for RealID.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

For the single-player at least, yes.

Then again, the single-player is going to be huge.

shryke on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    shryke wrote: »

They have even said that each part in the series will introduce additional multiplayer units. So they'll eventually separate their player base into 3 parts by doing this.

edit: I got that info from the article that had the Activision-Blizzard time line thing.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So by three there is going to be a Zerg, Terran and Protoss in different packs?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So by three there is going to be a Zerg, Terran and Protoss in different packs?

Yes. The first box (Terrans) will have Terran single player and the base multiplayer. Each new box will add a new single player campaign and some new multiplayer units, and in all likelihood will cost $40, or double what the average non-MMO xpac costs.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They have even said that each part in the series will introduce additional multiplayer units. So they'll eventually separate their player base into 3 parts by doing this.

edit: I got that info from the article that had the Activision-Blizzard time line thing.

Well yeah, that way anyone who wants to play multiplayer without getting shut out for not having the right version has to buy all three. It's perfect!

Astale on
  • Options
    TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

Good. Back to killing internet dragons.

Trooble on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Really no different than splitting a 5 hour Halo storyline into 3 games spanning 5 years.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »

Really no different than splitting a 5 hour Halo storyline into 3 games spanning 5 years.

There really isn't any comparison there at all to Halo, but keep on trucking there dude.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, drysc went off the reservation.

When someone has to make a post about how no one 'got to them,' well.

That post with that employee's personal data scared them all shitless and they're [VERY SILLY GEESE] if they don't admit it, at least in private.

KiTA on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trooble wrote: »
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

Good. Back to killing internet dragons and then arguing about it on the internet.

Fixed that for you.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

There really isn't any comparison there at all to Halo, but keep on trucking there dude.

Yeah, there is. The only difference is that they didn't tell you ahead of time with Halo.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I jsut wish they would seriously do something about the trolling in game and on the forums
    I understand there is comments abotu certain things but that is a thin line compared to the 4chan crap that goes on

Brainleech on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I could, I'd bring up a quote backing me up on this, but I don't have the energy to search (I just got a job after a year and a half of looking so someone do it for me);

The campaign for each race in Starcraft 2 isn't going to be as long as their Starcraft 1 counterparts; each race campaign in part 2 is to be as long as Starcraft 1 itself (maybe even including Broodwar, but I don't remember it being included in that description). That's actually kind of long for single race campaigns.

A lot of people are calling it "Buy Starcraft 2 three separate times," and I'm calling it "They announced the 2 expansion packs for Starcraft 2 already." It just so happens that each installment's story focuses on a single race. But all of them allow for multiplayer, standalone, so whatever.

Anyway, back to Real ID.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's 2 full games that keeps the same essential multiplayer core.

Like Halo.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Like Halo.

....and Halo 2 was criticized as well for being Halo 1 + instead of it's own game. Heck, if my memory servers, PA even did a comic mocking Halo 2 for just that. You are essentially saying "See this other popular game which was disliked for having little different from the previous installment in the series? Yeah! That's why you can't complain about this one!"

And, yes, the Starcraft 2 Terran campaign will be many, many, many missions more than Starcrafts entire 3 races. This, however, says absolutely nothing about story content, as it may have the same length *story* as the original and just an extra bunch of filler missions.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This, however, says absolutely nothing about story content, as it may have the same length *story* as the original and just an extra bunch of filler missions.

We'll call it a 50 / 50 shot at actually being jack-full of content, and then stretched out with filler.

I'm siding with the optimistic portion. Though, I won't be playing the game 'til I get a new computer. So anyone that actually plays the campaign, let me know! <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Like Halo.

....and Halo 2 was criticized as well for being Halo 1 + instead of it's own game. Heck, if my memory servers, PA even did a comic mocking Halo 2 for just that. You are essentially saying "See this other popular game which was disliked for having little different from the previous installment in the series? Yeah! That's why you can't complain about this one!"

And, yes, the Starcraft 2 Terran campaign will be many, many, many missions more than Starcrafts entire 3 races. This, however, says absolutely nothing about story content, as it may have the same length *story* as the original and just an extra bunch of filler missions.

It's already pretty well known that it will have a ton of filler side missions. You go and so side stuff to earn cash to buy perma-upgrades.

Bikkstah on