As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you aware that [Predators] is getting decent reviews?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Saw it last night, and thought it was a pretty spiffy little action/sci-fi/horror flick. Two severed spines up.

One question/quibble:
    So doctor boy sees some weird-ass alien plant, and recognizes the species? Does this imply that the Predators populated this planet with plant species from Earth, or are we supposed to believe that the same species of plants just happened to evolve on completely separate planets? Or are we just not supposed to think about it too hard?

This bugged me as well. Don't think about it too hard.
    I got the impression they seeded the planet with plants from multiple planets. Just so happens that one was a plant from Earth.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The true twist will be that it was a spoon the whole time.

I see you've played knifey spoony before

hahaha

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And the twist is
    Hanzo lives, loses another finger.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, Long Tall Sally, she's built for speed. She's got everything that Uncle John needs, oh baby.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm gonna have me some fun. I'm gonna have me some fun.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh lawd
    Adrien-Brody-Predator-slayer2-600x354.jpg

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't more soldiers look more like the right than the left?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

In fact soldiers are encouraged to look more like Brody does. I believe there's a minimum and maximum weight muscle or no.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So was he really a doctor? I mean for all we know he made that up and he just knows his neurotoxic plants...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got back, and I agree with the 3/5 assessment from above; good, but not great.

Pros:
    - Clean plotting. No overly convoluted mess about building Antarctic pyramids or other silly shit. Just people vs. monsters.
    - Competent acting. Decent actors delivering believable dialogue. It shouldn't be so rare to be worthy of regard, but there you go.
    - Pacing.* The first 2/3rds of this flick rollicked on extremely tightly, planning its reveals at exciting moments.
    - In-camera effects. Hooray for abundant in-camera effects!
    - Fishburn. Terrific character work with very little time to do it in.
    - Score. Almost as good as mid-70s John Williams. Had a very Planet of the Apes vibe.

Cons:
    - The "Doctor" subplot. Why would the doctor know what that plant was? Why would he reveal himself to be a murderer (and try to prove it) right before he and Isabel were about to (presumably) die? The doctor character was an utter literary crutch from a writing POV; all he was there for was to provide motivation for plot points and tension. He wasn't a character, he was a prop, and a clumsily used one at that.
    - Photography. Look, I know good camerawork costs a lot of money, but this isn't some little indie film shot in a Williamsburg basement on B&W. Proper photography adds depth and provides a sense of spatial relationships. In a movie filled with little besides mid-distance shots, you could never tell how far the characters had traveled or how big or small a space they were in.
    - Photography, pt II. Also, if you're shooting an exterior, find an exterior to shoot on. Way too often it was too obvious that the action was happening on a soundstage, turning "Predators" into "Predators: Live on Broadway!"
    - Post-effects. Because the in-camera work was so good, the photoshopped stuff looked so much worse in comparison. Nothing about the CGI "dogs" looked real or had any weight at all. Same goes for many of the "green blood" effects.
    - Fishburn. What a wasted character.
    - Pacing and Plotting. The 3rd act begins to unravel at the very start, when Noland makes the strange decision to kill everyone to steal their guns. This happens approximately 5 minutes after the audience learns that Noland is experienced at killing Predators, knows where to find their ship, and has been on the planet for many years. I have trouble believing that "let's kill them and steal their guns" was the better plan than "let's work with this team of trained and armed warriors to get that ship and go home." It hits another bump when the Yakuza decides to homage himself to death and swordfight the Predator tracking them. Again, "you guys run away while I fight the monster and buy time" isn't really a better plan than "I'll attack the monster and then you guys with guns can blow him the fuck up and we'll all survive." On top of that, the lighting in that fight scene was terrible. From there, we get into Topher Grace's aforementioned reveal, and then we're treated to a ROTK-style triple ending. First Royce escapes in the ship, Isabel gets murdered, and the doctor is left for Predator fodder. But no! One predator fights another, and then Royce returns, saving Isabel, killing the doctor, and beheading the last Predator with what looked like the jawbone of a mule. Fade to black. But no again! We see the morning after, and more victims and dogs are parachuting down, in a pointless and downbeat ending to an otherwise decent movie.

All in all, there was a good movie lurking within this film, but it really just felt like the script needed a couple more passes, plus some better photography. I hate to see shitty films, and this was not that, but it's also frustrating to see decent films not achieve more when they easily and obviously could. The passion was there, the cast was there, the concept was there; what was missing was some directorial and screenwriting fundamentals. Such a shame.

Atomika on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    So was he really a doctor? I mean for all we know he made that up and he just knows his neurotoxic plants...
    We he doesn't have to be say a pediatrician or something . He's most likely a surgeon, Dentist or anesthesiologist who decided he liked cutting for the hell of it. He probably used Novocaine for a while but wanted the victim to be awake AND feel it which lead him to learn about natural toxins he could use.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't have much problem with the plant thing. Nobody reacted in a "We do not recognise these plants at all", so it was a hunting world modelled on earth. This raises other questions about what was in the boxes, I admit.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My theory about it is that they put the animals on the planet to see if the humans they drop can deal with them. I guess the animals serve as a way of shifting out those humans worthy of hunting from those who aren't. If you're killed by Mr Spikey dog are you really worth the predators interest to hunt in the first place?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

In fact soldiers are encouraged to look more like Brody does. I believe there's a minimum and maximum weight muscle or no.

You have weight standards, but if you go over weight, they take measurements to grade your bodyfat scale on an incredibly outdated system.

Some people just ain't built like Brody, like myself. 36" waist, 50" chest. I weighed in at 179 at basic at a staggering 5 foot 9 inches. I gained 10 pounds and lost an inch around my waist. My body frame is fucking stout, and the tape is made for people like myself.

I'm currently sitting at 230 lbs, with the same amount of bodyfat as I had when I graduated basic. I will never pass my weight standard, ever.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I will never pass my weight standard, ever.
    What does that imply?

Glal on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Saw it last night, and thought it was a pretty spiffy little action/sci-fi/horror flick. Two severed spines up.

One question/quibble:
    So doctor boy sees some weird-ass alien plant, and recognizes the species? Does this imply that the Predators populated this planet with plant species from Earth, or are we supposed to believe that the same species of plants just happened to evolve on completely separate planets? Or are we just not supposed to think about it too hard?

I got the impression they seeded the planet with plants from multiple planets. Just so happens that one was a plant from Earth.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but that
    plant had some massive glands (poison sacks) on it. My first thought was it was poisonous, until Oleg was about to touch it. Then I thought it would nibble his hand off.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

One question/quibble:

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but that
    plant had some massive glands (poison sacks) on it. My first thought was it was poisonous, until Oleg was about to touch it. Then I thought it would nibble his hand off.

This to, like I said, it looked dangerous already, using what he knows from Earth its easy to take a stab (heyo) that it features similar characteristics.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    My theory about it is that they put the animals on the planet to see if the humans they drop can deal with them. I guess the animals serve as a way of shifting out those humans worthy of hunting from those who aren't. If you're killed by Mr Spikey dog are you really worth the predators interest to hunt in the first place?

I just regarded it as the Predator equivalent of the British fox hunt.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    - Post-effects. Because the in-camera work was so good, the photoshopped stuff looked so much worse in comparison. Nothing about the CGI "dogs" looked real or had any weight at all. Same goes for many of the "green blood" effects.

I would like to point out that the green blood was made in all the movies with a mixture of glowstick fluid and KY jelly. The glow was not added later.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My one word review of this movie: awesome.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I would like to point out that the green blood was made in all the movies with a mixture of glowstick fluid and KY jelly. The glow was not added later.

That is brilliant, if true.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The glow was likely digitally enhanced though. Nyah.

Glyph on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »

The glow was likely digitally enhanced though. Nyah.

I would assume Glowstick fluid GLOWS.

Transporter on
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm gonna have me some fun. I'm gonna have me some fun.

There was talk earlier about Mac's freaking out in Predator--when he starts wheezing this song, that was my favorite part. Thinking about it, Bill Duke probably put out the best acting in that show.

Nucker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010

Didn't one of the characters actually make that exact analogy?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

It is true, and it is awesome and it is annoying as hell to work around. That shit gets everywhere and is sooooo hard to clean off of cameras.

Oh I love internets, everyone acts like they know so goddamn much. Of course any effect worth anything is enhanced digitally.

Like the guy who says we shot on sound stages too much. Were you there? Because I was, and only one exterior shot is on stages. One. You may pretend to know things about photography and filmmaking at this level, but you don't. I have problems with the movie too, but they're real problems not I'm trying to sound smart for the interwebz problems.

First Predators is still the best, but this one is pretty solid and much better than the other shit.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So if all predators hunt who builds their ships and crap?

Do they have Predator accountants and Predator risk analysts and Predator hookers somewhere?

override367 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Do they have Predator accountants and Predator risk analysts and Predator hookers somewhere?

I like the interpretation that the Predators we see are the Red Necks of the species and the rest are just normal office suit wearing aliens.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

They compared it to flushing out game.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I like the interpretation that the Predators we see are the Red Necks of the species and the rest are just normal office suit wearing aliens.

Perhaps they wear human skull jewelry and this is the equivilent of our diamond trade and hunting hobbies mixed into one

Although you know this fits. They strung up the
    other sort of predator
    so they're probably racist too. Their spaceship probably has a "Klaxon IV South Will Rise Again!" bumper sticker with their equivalent of a confederate flag as the background

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Jock Predators bully the nerd Predators and then one day they show up and shoulder-cannon the school.

And Predatorette prostitutes...

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Jock Predators bully the nerd Predators and then one day they show up and shoulder-cannon the school and Predator Thompson insists that all these space bloodsports are making their children violent while others blame their parents for being off flaying a team of special forces instead of watching their son

ftfy

override367 on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grove wrote: »

It is true, and it is awesome and it is annoying as hell to work around. That shit gets everywhere and is sooooo hard to clean off of cameras.

Oh I love internets, everyone acts like they know so goddamn much. Of course any effect worth anything is enhanced digitally.

Like the guy who says we shot on sound stages too much. Were you there? Because I was, and only one exterior shot is on stages. One. You may pretend to know things about photography and filmmaking at this level, but you don't. I have problems with the movie too, but they're real problems not I'm trying to sound smart for the interwebz problems.

First Predators is still the best, but this one is pretty solid and much better than the other shit.

Okay. So what's worse: shooting on stages and having it look that way, or shooting on location and having it still look like it was shot on a stage? I'm sorry, but the blocking and framing and rudimentary angles taken make many parts of the film look smallish and cheap.

What, Troublemaker couldn't rent a crane? The original Predator had better photography. This one had better effects and acting and score. You can't win 'em all, but you still did a pretty good job. I'll definitely be referring this film to others, but that doesn't prevent me from acknowledging the film's shortcomings.

Atomika on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For what it's worth, I never got the soundstagey feeling from all of the outdoor shots that I did from movies like, say, Jurassic Park 3. I didn't really have a problem with any of the cinematography; it did what it had to and that worked well enough for me. The one shot that did bug me was the super shakey cam they used in the very beginning of the movie, with Brody arriving on the planet.

Also
    This to, like I said, it looked dangerous already, using what he knows from Earth its easy to take a stab (heyo) that it features similar characteristics.

If it helps you guys any, the Doc definitely describes the plant by species. I'd be willing to bet that the plant doesn't actually exist on Earth, but for the purposes of the movie it did.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For what it's worth I never got the soundstagey feeling from all of the outdoor shots like I did from movies like, say, Jurassic Park 3. I didn't really have a problem with any of the cinematography; it did what it had to and that worked well enough for me.

Also

If it helps you guys any, the Doc definitely describes the plant by species. I'd be willing to bet that the pant doesn't actually exist on Earth, but for the purposes of the movie it did.

He could have made that species name up completely. Who's gonna call him on it?

I for one don't think he was a doctor at all.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

They compared it to flushing out game.

I think it's a amusing when audiences try to rationalize what basically comes down to lazy writing.

They just wanted to show us something we'd never seen before, hence throwing in Predadogs and Super Black Predators when classic predators would've sufficed. Hence setting this in an alien jungle, even though an Earth one would've served about the same purpose. Hence giving us three predators even though that didn't seem to have made them any more lethal or mysterious, and if anything detracted from this theme.

Glyph on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

when they were first talking about it, I kind of got the same feeling, but they never followed up on it so that seems less likely to me. Especially considering he was right about it being an instantly paralyzing neurotoxin.

About him not even being a doctor, that's possible, too. I thought it strange that despite everyone's injuries he never thinks to treat anyone for anything. The only thing he really know is the position of important arteries which could easily be a side effect of his other hobbies.

edit:
    Glyph wrote: »
    I think it's a amusing when audiences try to rationalize what basically comes down to lazy writing.

They just wanted to show us something we'd never seen before, hence throwing in Predadogs and Super Black Predators when classic predators would've sufficed. Hence setting this in an alien jungle, even though an Earth one would've served about the same purpose. Hence giving us three predators even though that didn't seem to have made them any more lethal or mysterious, and if anything detracted from this theme.

I'm unsure why would just assume it's lazy writing when it's just as likely to be what the movie says it is. They're using "dogs" to flesh out their behavior. That makes perfect sense to me, and helps nail in the feeling that the Predators don't care about these humans past being interesting game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

when they were first talking about it, I kind of got the same feeling, but they never followed up on it so that seems less likely to me. Especially considering he was right about it being an instantly paralyzing neurotoxin.

About him not even being a doctor, that's possible, too. I thought it strange that despite everyone's injuries he never thinks to treat anyone for anything. The only thing he really know is the position of important arteries which could easily be a side effect of his other hobbies.

Yup yup.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what was the deal with the roach filled things?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For what it's worth, I never got the soundstagey feeling from all of the outdoor shots that I did from movies like, say, Jurassic Park 3.

To be honest, the original Predator seemed to have a way more convincing jungle. The new one was actually less intimidating by comparison, despite being on another planet. Remember the dogs scene? Open area with a few trees in between? Yeah, that doesn't exactly scream "dense rainforest where something could be hiding anywhere." They really should've just cut that scene out.

Glyph on