As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World Cup] Yellow Rain in Johannesburg. Perfect win record for Paul the Octopus!

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Marty81 wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Torres you fucker get the fuck up you are about to win the world cup

Seriously, what the hell was that?
    An injury, marty. It can happen with physical exertion.

Hoz on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SPPPPAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNN!!!!!

And since Iniesta was in the middle of everything all night long (good, bad and questionable), it makes sense for him to score

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can we use Paul for other games than Football? I wanna win some crazy cash with this oracle octopus.

Yogo on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glad Cesc played really well. Well done Spain.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spain earned the win, but some of their players really seemed to love rolling on the turf and getting cards for their embellished. Ah well :) probably going to drop out of the top ten in two of my leagues, and from first to second in two orhets. Boo :p

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Netherlands winning playing the way they played would have been awful.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, the ABC commentators are being rough (but deservedly so).

'Well, lipstick on a pig, right? And this was a pig of a game...'

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never seen a professional football game before - are they all like that? Players getting tossed off with a red card when there wasn't even contact? I mean, every sport has diving, but that's the first time I've seen an ejection because of one.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Torres you fucker get the fuck up you are about to win the world cup

Seriously, what the hell was that?
    An injury, marty. It can happen with physical exertion.

Especially when you're still recovering from a previous one.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what exactly were the chances of all of Paul's World Cup predictions coming true?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Noooooo my nederlunns.

Oh well, gj Spain!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wooo!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've never seen a professional football game before - are they all like that? Players getting tossed off with a red card when there wasn't even contact? I mean, every sport has diving, but that's the first time I've seen an ejection because of one.

There was contact on that play, but considering the Dutch should have been down a man far far earlier than that with their thuggish antics, complaining about that play is pretty ridiculous.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Casillas kept Spain alive on a few of those breaks with some great saves. Dude was absolutely in tears after the game too.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, that referee was utter shit, I'm all for banning England from ever getting near a football field now.

By the way, I hear people yelling in the street and someone's launching fireworks of the non-pretty-colours variety. I'm glad I'm not @ Museumplein.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, the Netherlands plays football full-contact

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it's the Dutch that made themselves vulnerable to diving.

Still, a handful of terrible calls by the ref.

Hoz on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

They're not all like THAT. This one was one of those particularly ugly-to-watch ones that is only going to get remembered because of the stakes involved. They're not all this terrible.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The reffing was pretty horrible. The ref completely lost control. The first yellow to Heitinga was bullshit imo and playing with 10 men, they were never going to win except for penalties.

That goal was great though. I'm just sick of the commentators whining. The game was physical. It wasn't awful. It was exciting, lots of good plays. If there was a more commanding ref it could have been very different.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only undefeated team in the tournament?

New Zealand. Go Kiwis!

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can't say I'm proud of the mean tricks Holland pulls, De Jong in the first quarter was just awful. Then again, football is a mean sport and it's only getting meaner. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I disagree that it was ugly to watch

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »

There was contact on that play, but considering the Dutch should have been down a man far far earlier than that with their thuggish antics, complaining about that play is pretty ridiculous.

Possibly, but that's not really what I'm complaining about. Maybe I'm too used to a sport where colliding with other players is a valid tactic, but there were so many embellished injuries that I found watching that really frustrating.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And here's The Precious, which tragically will be awarded to a soccer team today.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gosling wrote: »

They're not all like THAT. This one was one of those particularly ugly-to-watch ones that is only going to get remembered because of the stakes involved. They're not all this terrible.

I think it's just the way the World Cup tournament is played now. It's sad, and it's pretty annoying to watch, but it seems to be getting steadily worse.

edit: To be clear, if you watch a local or college soccer game, people will play on with a fractured ankle and shit. It's pretty brutal, but you wont see near the floppage.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woo go Spain! :D

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hrm. Apropos of nothing, South Africa has some fashionable-looking medal holders. That hat/veil thing is pretty sweet.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Possibly, but that's not really what I'm complaining about. Maybe I'm too used to a sport where colliding with other players is a valid tactic, but there were so many embellished injuries that I found watching that really frustrating.

I really did not see very many dives

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Can't say I'm proud of the mean tricks Holland pulls, De Jong in the first quarter was just awful. Then again, football is a mean sport and it's only getting meaner. D:

Oh you Americans!

Anyway, great going Spain. Thought Holland had the more entertaining tournament and would have liked them to win but after watching this game, nothankyou. Robben's constant complaining to the referee, Heitinga's bajillion fouls. Yeah, they were far too dirty to deserve it on the day.

edit: re the dives; Yeah it's only ever on professional level funnily enough. The closer you get to the more crucial games and inevitably the final, the more folks will dive. Personally, they should break their legs for diving, that'd teach them.

Whatever happened to the days of Hadji playing with a broken foot? Real footballers finish the game!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't understand how the ref can justify that one yellow where there's a camera shot of him looking the opposite way when it happened. Can he seek counsel with his assistants on a thing like that or are the cries of the Spanish players especially persuasive?

Hoz on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Hrm. Apropos of nothing, South Africa has some fashionable-looking medal holders. That hat/veil thing is pretty sweet.

Their flat smile is kinda creepy, though.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nigel de Jong =

bruce-lee-kareem-flying-kick-dragon.jpg

?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Webb is a shit ref, nobody who follows the EPL can be surprised that he was terribad in this final.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The chance of paul correctly guessing all 8 games were .39%

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

Oh you Americans!

:lol:

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Me neither.

On either side.

There was a lot of kicking and shoving

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

Oh you Americans!

Anyway, great going Spain. Thought Holland had the more entertaining tournament and would have liked them to win but after watching this game, nothankyou. Robben's constant complaining to the referee, Heitinga's bajillion fouls. Yeah, they were far too dirty to deserve it on the day.

I'm Dutch, I just couldn't remember the English word for eerste helft.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh, there were plenty of dives on both sides. Spain was being more flagrant about it in the second half since they were trying to draw reds.

Really, though, the Dutch players have nothing to complain about. They were super lucky to have 11 at halftime, and they should have been able to suss out how the referee was going to play it after the first four quick cards.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

This is patently untrue. Football is probably getting less mean.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll say it again: good on Spain, congrats on the win.

Poor game from my boys. I would've hoped for better. And I hate that people watching this now will view the Dutch as evil fuckers who do nothing by foul. They are so much better than that.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX