As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World Cup] Yellow Rain in Johannesburg. Perfect win record for Paul the Octopus!

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, snap, they get their own go-go platform.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They really need a better trophy for the World Cup. The NHL is undoubtedly head and shoulders above all other sports in terms of championship hardware.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A lot of people here seem to think a dive is when the player goes down when someone pushes them

That is not a dive

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Howard Webb made it rain yellow cards tonight.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, why did Spain change shirts after the game? Isn't that sort of weird?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corvus wrote: »

exchanging shirts is a tradition

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Can't say I'm proud of the mean tricks Holland pulls, De Jong in the first quarter was just awful. Then again, football is a mean sport and it's only getting meaner. D:

This is patently untrue. Football is probably getting less mean.

This, in the bad old days there were times where the other team would specifically target a player and foul the ever living shit out of him to get him injured because he was too much of a threat to them. Pele was on the receiving end of this a number of times.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    Howard Webb made it rain yellow cards tonight.

Is THAT what that was. I thought that was confetti just now.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, does any game as accurately sum up a players World Cup as this one for Torres? The World Cup final, not in the starting lineup, not even subbed in during the game, comes in during the overtime, immediately disappears from the game completely and finally pulls up with an injury when he tried to touch the ball.

Congrats España.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The red jersey is their official strip. They were the alternative strip because red and orange are too similar.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raakam wrote: »
    Webb is a shit ref, nobody who follows the EPL can be surprised that he was terribad in this final.

o_O
    If you;'re judging on this game then you're being overly critical of him. Both teams were pretty brutal, lots of diving and plenty of running all up in his face (yo!) and bitching. He did well to not give out more yellows if you ask me. The only mistake, and it was a big one, was the corner he missed. That was the only thing I could say quite clearly he fucked up on. But one mistake in over 90 minutes of football is pretty good.

And no, that corner kick miss did not lead to the goal happening.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched the Dutch a lot this tournament and I know they can play wonderful ball without the dirty crap they pulled today. I guess it was the pressure or something because it was not what I was expecting from them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They wanted all their pictures to be them wearing their normal colour.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't say I'm proud of the mean tricks Holland pulls, De Jong in the first quarter was just awful. Then again, football is a mean sport and it's only getting meaner. D:

How is that 'patently'? You can disagree, but I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that yesteryears rough play is meaner than today's constant stream of kicks, pinches, pulling, slapping and punching.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

I think he meant, why'd they switch from navy shirts to red. I'm guessing they didn't want to take the trophy in their second-choice jersey.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't disagree with a single decision by the ref, don't know what you guys are talking about.

Thank god spain won.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not sad to see Torres have such little impact. Happy for Casillas. Dude worked hard in goal all tournament.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Webb is a shit ref, nobody who follows the EPL can be surprised that he was terribad in this final.

o_O
    If you;'re judging on this game then you're being overly critical of him. Both teams were pretty brutal, lots of diving and plenty of running all up in his face (yo!) and bitching. He did well to not give out more yellows if you ask me. The only mistake, and it was a big one, was the corner he missed. That was the only thing I could say quite clearly he fucked up on. But one mistake in over 90 minutes of football is pretty good.

THe karate kick was a red card offense, that guy should have been out.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Actually they just changed into their traditional kits.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thus ends what to me was a fairly lacklustre world cup, topped off by the fact it was awarded to a team who were unconvincing throughout the tournament. I would have preferred netherlands to have won, though I an slightly glad they didnt given how aggressively they were tackling. All hail the octupus I suppose.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

How is that 'patently'? You can disagree, but I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that yesteryears rough play is meaner than today's constant stream of kicks, pinches, pulling, slapping and punching.

Because he is right? Seriously, go watch some videos of Pele being fouled.

In the bad old days the other teams (just for an example) would specifically target Pele to get him injured.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

o_O

THe karate kick was a red card offense, that guy should have been out.

Dammit I missed that one. Yeah, I was having a crap. I always seem to have one and miss the vital parts of whatever sport/movie I'm watching.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gosling wrote: »

I think he meant, why'd they switch from navy shirts to red. I'm guessing they didn't want to take the trophy in their second-choice jersey.

No, all countries that have won a cup has a star above the flag on their chest (one for every win), spain changed shirt to have with the star there.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's a great commercial.

'You like Peter Cetera?'

'No. But they do.' <points at the wall> 'And if you love the ladies, then you love Cetera.'

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Thus ends what to me was a fairly lacklustre world cup, topped off by the fact it was awarded to a team who were unconvincing throughout the tournament. I would have preferred netherlands to have won, though I an slightly glad they didnt given how aggressively they were tackling. All hail the octupus I suppose.

All Hail the Octopus!!

clownfood on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm ok with it.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    clownfood wrote: »

Actually they just changed into their traditional kits.

The new kits had the star embroided on to it.

*edit - beat'd. Hard.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well... meet again in Brazil?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Well... meet again in Brazil?

Winning at home again will be nice

But they need to schedule another cup in Africa

or Australia

or Antarctica

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Only undefeated team in the tournament?

New Zealand. Go Kiwis!

Yes, hooray for us! This has been the best world cup ever - we get to walk away with a mildly neat boast and an octopus named Paul, from Weymouth has proven to be the pundit of the match

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

You can never blame a goal on a ref fuckup that ends in a goal kick, a free kick in your own half, or a throw in. These are inviolate rules of blaming the ref.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

... you're kidding, right? When in the last ten years have you seen any match that came even close to something like the Battle of Santiago? Or Schumachers attack on Battiston? How many stars had their World Cup ended by the opposition this year compared to what happened to Pele and Maradona?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Because he is right? Seriously, go watch some videos of Pele being fouled.

In the bad old days the other teams (just for an example) would specifically target Pele to get him injured.

You know, I don't even really feel like arguing about this. Shouldn't have posted because I don't really care enough about this subject. :oops:

Carry on.

Aldo on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah, but they aren't wearing dutch shirts, they've all put on the red Spain ones. I know about the swapping thing, but it seems like its only a few players from each team that do it.

Edit: Ok, I see, its like north american pro sports where they break out the championship hats and shirts.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You can never blame a goal on a ref fuckup that ends in a goal kick, a free kick in your own half, or a throw in. These are inviolate rules of blaming the ref.

G9ven that it's the internet I can't tell if yuo're agreeing with me or being sarcastic. I don't know........ I'll just leave this here.
    soccer_penguin_poster-p228211170491930275tdcz_210.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't watch the ceremony, I came here to chat with you lot

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    At the end of this World Cup, there has been number of controversies and high dramas.....do we see any changes in the way FIFA officiates?

I wish I had paid as close attention to previous World Cups to see how this one stacks up in terms of entertainment.

clownfood on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    At the end of this World Cup, there has been number of controversies and high dramas.....do we see any changes in the way FIFA officiates?

Why?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamn, that recap montage really made my hair stand on ends. Beautiful.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Didn't they confirm that the next world cup will have two more officials stood at the goal lines?

Big Classy on