As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 Professional Upgrade from WinXP 64-bit

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my mother can get a student/staff copy of Windows 7 upgrade because she works at a university. She currently has WinXP 64-bit installed (actually, I just installed it fresh). I'm assuming she can just do a straight upgrade, right? Can she do a dual boot, or with an upgrade is the WinXP 64-bit installation consumed? And if the answer to the last question is yes, can she do a dual boot after, or does her WinXP 64-bit license essentially get absorbed into the Windows 7 license?

The reason I'm asking is that she has a few productivity apps that won't work on Windows 7. I'm hoping that she can use it with the Windows XP virtual mode through Windows 7 Professional (or whatever it's called) but if not, can she legitimately use both at the same time, or no?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's really no point in upgrading if you don't have some great reason to do so, but if you're really dead set on it, you can dual boot without wiping the XP install if you've got the free space to do it; you'll have to mess around with partitions and hopefully not render it unbootable (although that's not super hard to fix with XP and I guess worst-case scenario you can always install 7 and that'll make it boot) but it's not too hard. Windows 7 doesn't do anything to her XP license. An upgrade install will wipe out XP; you need a fresh install if you want to keep XP around.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, so you're saying I can do a full, separate install of Windows 7 on a second partition with a "Windows 7 Professional Upgrade"? How does that work? It recognizes that I have a valid, licensed installation of Windows XP 64-bit and then it'll let me install fully?

I just installed Windows XP 64-bit for her about 30 minutes ago, so that's completely fresh and even if I fuck it up, it's not a problem, I can reinstall.

I also didn't set up any partitions, but it's a 1TB drive and I assume I can just use the Windows 7 installer to shrink the existing partition and then create a new one to install Windows 7 on, right?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are like 18 ways to do a Windows 7 Upgrade install; I think the easiest is just to install it normally and when it asks for your XP CD you put your XP CD in.

Windows 7 can't shrink the partition; it can make partitions of any size from unpartitioned space or wipe a partition or delete a partition. You need GParted or something to grow or shrink the partition (XP might be able to do it with the Disk Management thing).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Without using the XP cd, another way to do a fresh installation of Win7 using an upgrade disc is to just install it twice. Install it the first time, then before entering your serial key, reboot and install all over again right on top of the previous installation. This time, Win7 will recognize the previous installation of itself, even unregistered, as a legitimate previous installation of Windows, thus satisfying the "upgrade" requirements of a previous version on the hard drive.

And there are tons of reasons to upgrade from XP to 7, not least of which is the simple fact that it runs a hell of a lot better than XP does.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The XP virtual machine works great, so if she needs to use XP just install that.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Right click, properties, run in XP mode.

Works for 80% of the stuff out there.

jungleroomx on