As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying an iPod on eBay

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Some cunt stole my iPod Touch and I'm poor, so I'm looking to replace it with an iPod Nano. Some of the deals on eBay make me wonder a bit -- $112 new from South Korea? Should I be skeptical of refurbished models? How would you guys proceed?

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Some cunt stole my iPod Touch and I'm poor, so I'm looking to replace it with an iPod Nano. Some of the deals on eBay make me wonder a bit -- $112 new from South Korea? Should I be skeptical of refurbished models? How would you guys proceed?

Why not just buy straight from Apple if you're paranoid? It's only a tiny price difference and you'll have a warranty.

Esh on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're scammed you'll pay twice as much to own one. Just get it direct.

3drage on
    edited July 2010
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

Esh on
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »

As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010

As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

Esh on
    edited July 2010

I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

Perhaps someone who has had the experience of buying a refurbished model might lend their opinion.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010

Perhaps someone who has had the experience of buying a refurbished model might lend their opinion.

I don't think that's going to help. Not all refurbished iPods are going to be the same. You could always buy refurbed from Apple. Cheaper and you'll get a warranty.

Esh on
    edited July 2010

I don't think that's going to help. Not all refurbished iPods are going to be the same. You could always buy refurbed from Apple. Cheaper and you'll get a warranty.

Thanks, I didn't realize you could do this and will almost certainly go this route now. Next time maybe try posting this before the belittling? ;-)
    But really, thanks.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010

Thanks, I didn't realize you could do this and will almost certainly go this route now. Next time maybe try posting this before the belittling? ;-)
    But really, thanks.

There wasn't any belittling, but you're welcome.

Esh on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's Esh, he always sounds like that.

Jokerman on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've bought refurbed from Apple a few times - worked perfectly every time. Plus they come with the same basic warranty as new items.

KalTorak on
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

Esh on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

Eshers gonna Esh.

I also second buying a refurbed one from apple if you wanna go the refurbished route. They really do have great customer service, and while you might get one for a deal on ebay, you're probably gonna be looking at replacing the battery in the near future at the very least.

Jokerman on
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought my iPod refurb 2 years ago and it is still going strong. Also bought my girlfriend a shuffle re-furb.

Refurbished is totally the way to go for buying iPods

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    woot.com has the new nanos for $99 every couple of weeks... if you're that hard up for cash (and yet buying a $100 toy :P ) it may be worth to wait

illig on