As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    It's going to take the ESPN guys a little while to catch up to MMA but I think if we're patient they will. I mean if they were making a real list, where was Jose Aldo?

His 2009:
    Result/Opponent/How/Event/Date/Round/Time
    Win Mike Thomas Brown TKO (Punches) WEC 44 - Brown vs. Aldo 11/18/2009 2 1:20
    Win Cub Swanson TKO (Flying Knee and Punches) WEC 41 - Brown vs. Faber 2 6/7/2009 1 0:08
    Win Chris Mickle TKO (Punches) WEC 39 - Brown vs. Garcia 3/1/2009 1 1:39
    Win Rolando Perez KO (Knee and Punches) WEC 38 - Varner vs. Cerrone 1/25/2009 1 4:15
    I mean he won the belt in his fourth fight that year, in the first fight he had that got past the first round.

Yeah maybe it's because ESPN didn't cover the WEC event like they have the more recent UFC fights. However if nothing else he's fucking GSP. He won SI's fighter of the year for 2009 and he's a two time Canadian ATHLETE of the year, not just fighter, athlete.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Miserydays wrote: »
    I think when it comes to Judo it's more the throws themselves that end up messing you up. Most sweeps I was ever taught always targeted the side of the knee.
    Judo sweeps aim for the foot. In randori it can sometimes creep a little higher, but knee is far too high.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So everyone who votes for the ESPY's can go die in a fire:
    UFC came up short again in their shot at making history by being the first non-boxing related sport to take home an ESPY award for "best fighter" at the 2010 ceremony that aired on ESPN on Wednesday night, July 14. Both UFC welterweight champion Georges "Rush" St. Pierre and newly crowned UFC lightweight champion Frankie "The Answer" Edgar were up for ESPYS in different categories at the annual sports awards show.

St. Pierre was nominated in the "best fighter" category, losing out to pro boxer "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather. GSP scored successful victories in two fights in 2009, a fourth-round TKO of UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn in a champion versus champion fight at UFC 94 in January, and a one-sided unanimous decision over Thiago Alves in a welterweight title defense at UFC 100 in July.

"Money" Mayweather had one victory in 2009, which was his return from "retirement" following a December 8, 2007 victory over Ricky "Hitman" Hatton. Mayweather's lone 2009 victory was a unanimous decision over highly ranked pound-for-pound boxer Juan Manuel Marquez in September.

So GSP takes on one of the greatest lightweights in history and wins, and then wins again at UFC 100 and he loses to fucking Mayweather? Fuck you ESPN. Fuck you.

That's just pathetic. Marquez is a lightweight, Mayweather dragged him up to welterweight and then came in overweight himself. Mayweather shouldn't even be in the top 10 for 2009 boxer of the year, let alone overall fighter and #1. Boxers who had a better 2009 than PBF:

Pacquiao
    Andre Ward
    Vitali Klitschko
    Tim Bradley
    Paul Williams
    Chad Dawson
    Jean Pascal
    Carl Froch
    Arthur Abraham
    Amir Khan
    Yonnhy Perez

BubbaT on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So GSP takes on one of the greatest lightweights in history and wins, and then wins again at UFC 100 and he loses to fucking Mayweather? Fuck you ESPN. Fuck you.
    Award shows are serious business. GSP already won the SpikeTV's Guys Choice Award, no need to be greedy for two fluff awards.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Award shows are serious business. GSP already won the SpikeTV's Guys Choice Award, no need to be greedy for two fluff awards.

They call themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" they think it's not fluff (or they want people to believe that) so they should have some idea what they are talking about

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They call themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" they think it's not fluff (or they want people to believe that) so they should have some idea what they are talking about
    It's not exactly right to blame ESPN for a fan-voted award.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2010

From what I've heard they give the awards to whomever shows up (At least that's what Bill Simmons says) which is pretty lame do they actually say how many votes each athlete/team got?

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'm not mad at ESPN, but it's embarrassing to have an award be so completely wrong. I have no doubt that ESPN's own people, both MMA and boxing, would have chosen someone else.

If they just want to have a popularity contest, they might as well go all the way. Fighter of the Year, 2009: the New York Yankees.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aldo will just have to win it in 2010 instead. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

I'm not mad at ESPN, but it's embarrassing to have an award be so completely wrong. I have no doubt that ESPN's own people, both MMA and boxing, would have chosen someone else.

If they just want to have a popularity contest, they might as well go all the way. Fighter of the Year, 2009: the New York Yankees.

Yeah look at this impressive list of winners:

2007 Floyd Mayweather Jr
    2008 Floyd Mayweather Jr
    2009 Manny Pacquiao
    2010 Floyd Mayweather Jr

MMA losers from these years:

2007 Randy Couture Quinton Jackson
    2008 Georges St. Pierre
    2009 Lyoto Machida Anderson Silva
    2010 Georges St. Pierre

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    How long does it take from starting BJJ for it to be really fun? Boxing took me a few months before I really got into it but MT was instant (though I had two years boxing behind me by then so it helped).

I really want to try BJJ and judo, I think.

I enjoyed it from day 1. As someone else said it's really fun because you can get right down to rolling with someone pretty close to full strength right from the get-go. Full on rolling every class? Yes please!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah look at this impressive list of winners:

2007 Floyd Mayweather Jr
    2008 Floyd Mayweather Jr
    2009 Manny Pacquiao
    2010 Floyd Mayweather Jr

MMA losers from these years:

2007 Randy Couture Quinton Jackson
    2008 Georges St. Pierre
    2009 Lyoto Machida Anderson Silva
    2010 Georges St. Pierre

2007 Mayweather is credible. He beat Oscar de la Hoya and Ricky Hatton that year, both were superfights and one was the biggest PPV ever.

2008 should have been Pacquiao. He won titles in 2 weight classes, beating Juan Manuel Marquez and David Diaz, then beat de la Hoya in a 3rd weight class.

2009 you can make a case for Pacquiao. He won titles in 2 more weight classes, beating Hatton and Miguel Cotto. You can't make a case for 2009 Floyd.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did you guys see this yet?

Ariel Helwani + Joe Rogan = awesomeness.

Actually, it was pretty much just Joe Rogan rambling, but its cool anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8kVgwX8Gg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWHzVaGj0KQ&feature=related

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I saw it.

Also, anyone have any more info on that rumor about Lesnar aiming for ADCC 2011? Last I heard it might be false.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So in news that surprises nobody.

Jake Shields is officially signed to the UFC.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/16/jake-shields-signs-with-ufc/

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Way to weaken your already pretty thin talent pool, Strikeforce. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

What do you expect for a company that lets one of their champions contract run out after a title defense? So what's the next Strikeforce title fight? Meyhem vs. Henderson? Some type of tournament?

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

What do you expect for a company that lets one of their champions contract run out after a title defense? So what's the next Strikeforce title fight? Meyhem vs. Henderson? Some type of tournament?
    They're doing a tournament for the MW title, I have no idea what they'll do if Hendo doesn't win it.

815165 on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They're doing a tournament for the MW title, I have no idea what they'll do if Hendo doesn't win it.

Actually, they're doing Jacare/Tim Kennedy for their MW title next month.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/10/1563138/tournament-what-tournament-jacare

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    edit: nm

Wow, I didn't think SF regarded Kennedy that highly.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That sucks even more, I was looking forward to seeing their entire MW roster in a tournament.

Turns out they don't have eight MWs who wanted to do it? :(

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Actually, they're doing Jacare/Tim Kennedy for their MW title next month.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/10/1563138/tournament-what-tournament-jacare

Wait what? Who? I'm sorry I'm not sure who Tim Kennedy is, one second

*Wikipedia*

Ok so Jacare has beaten Villasenor and Linden and before that had a no contest against Miller

Kennedy recently beat Prangley and his last loss was against Miller.

Wow Strikeforce must really fucking hate Meyhem. It seems like they should have Jacare fight Miller. They've already fought twice but the last was a No Contest due to Miller kicking Jacare while Jacare was down in Dream.

That's just my opinion though I am really not familiar with Kennedy and a fan of Meyhem. I never saw the second Jacare/Miller fight. If it was an illegal hit why did they declair it a NC instead of a victory for Jacare?

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if they had Mayhem on unofficial suspension after all of that nonsense he was involved in.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they had Mayhem on unofficial suspension after all of that nonsense he was involved in.

Yeah I totally get that but at some point you need to promote fights with actual fighters people have heard of. I would like to consider myself an average (possibly below average I guess) MMA fan. I really have no idea who Kennedy is and I mean this is Strikeforce right?

If Fedor would accept it he'd be fighting for the heavyweight championship. Why not have Jacare vs. Henderson? Henderson almost won that fight in the first round anyway. Just have their terrible announcers spin it that way. I mean I'm sure the plan was Henderson winning against Shields and then he would be the champion.

Fuck why not just retcon the entire fight. Change the record books:

Henderson def. Shields 1 rd TKO Becomes Middleweight Champion

I can't see how that would be any worse than the Strikeforce champion's contract running out and him signing with another promotion. Well it is worse but at least it would be a headlining story (any publicity is good publicity right?)

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They don't. He's had three Strikeforce fights: two on Challengers cards, and one on the undercard of a proper Showtime card.

He's a solid fighter who's getting a title shot because he's the best they have that hasn't lost recently.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

They don't. He's had three Strikeforce fights: two on Challengers cards, and one on the undercard of a proper Showtime card.

He's a solid fighter who's getting a title shot because he's the best they have that hasn't lost recently.

Winning his last fight should automatically disqualify him from a title shot in Strikeforce :P

BubbaT on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm through watching the recent DREAM card. It's my first time actually watching a full DREAM broadcast, and I have a few comments. This is all old news, but..

1) I will never watch a DREAM event live. There were 30 minutes of fights in the first 100 minutes of the broadcast. There were significantly less than 2 hours over a 4 hour broadcast.

2) The ending of the Manhoef fight was a perfect example of why a ring is a poor idea for MMA. When there are officials pushing your head to try and help you be able to see, because part of the ring is jammed into your face, blinding you and keeping you unable to defend yourself.. Hell, a few fights almost fell out of the ring, and in almost every fight the officials were trying to either move the ring out of the way, or push the fighters back into the ring.

3) The commentators are awful. Trigg is monotonous and the "color" commentator is making inane comments.

Other than that, the fights were good. Aoki's in particular. I can't complain about a free MMA broadcast.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dream events have a really weird pace to them, sometimes, the last full event I watched had three fights in the first hour and three fights in next three hours. I just watch the individual fights now if there are any interesting matches.

815165 on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched it live, and it was roughly 45 minutes after the show started that the first fight actually began. You just kind of have to accept that Japanese MMA is vastly different; the audiences' expectations are unique to one another. It's a different culture. I generally don't mind at the start of the show, but by the time it's nearing 7am I'm usually wishing they'd have hurried up.

What gets me is when the UFC haters on the various MMA forums complain about the UFC's "filler" and yet slobber all over Japanese organisations' production and pageantry. That particular hypocrisy drives me insane.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Careful with Judo, my friend has done it for a long time, but last year on a throw he pretty much tore everything in his shoulder because he positioned a little bit wrong.
    This is mainly why I haven't tried Judo so far, I'd be pissed if getting an injury in Judo affected my MT at all.

When ever I've met someone who did Judo for a decent length of time they tend to have either a lingering knee or shoulder injury.

I've rarely met any long-time judo players who haven't had shoulder or (especially) knee injuries either. The common way to learn to fall correctly seems to be to fall repeatedly, then be thrown repeatedly, so it basically ends up a trial by fire. And it only takes one mistake.

Uhhh, its a pretty terrible judo class if your fall training is "trial by fire". Judo training usually starts out with extensive training in breakfalls, that is, how to fall properly from various positions. This should be practiced for at least several classes before throws are attempted, and then refined for any more before you start going into full contact randori.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Careful with Judo, my friend has done it for a long time, but last year on a throw he pretty much tore everything in his shoulder because he positioned a little bit wrong.
    This is mainly why I haven't tried Judo so far, I'd be pissed if getting an injury in Judo affected my MT at all.

When ever I've met someone who did Judo for a decent length of time they tend to have either a lingering knee or shoulder injury.

I've rarely met any long-time judo players who haven't had shoulder or (especially) knee injuries either. The common way to learn to fall correctly seems to be to fall repeatedly, then be thrown repeatedly, so it basically ends up a trial by fire. And it only takes one mistake.

Uhhh, its a pretty terrible judo class if your fall training is "trial by fire". Judo training usually starts out with extensive training in breakfalls, that is, how to fall properly from various positions. This should be practiced for at least several classes before throws are attempted, and then refined for any more before you start going into full contact randori.

Agred.
    BJJ is great because, aside from leglocks you can roll from the knees without having to know how to not eff yourself up. "Does this hurt? Tap. Doesnt bend this way normally? Tap. Hard to breathe? Tap."

I once did train with a wrestler a bit before knowing proper ukemi. I also missed work that evening with a concussion/migraine. Possibly due to me hitting my head a few times. Possibly from exhaustion. Probably oine of the two.

Point is, Ukemi. Practice it ALOT. Every time you sit down on the mat, breakfall. Oh, and everytime you get up technical standup/lift. Its a good habit to get into, and its probably better on your knees.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This may have been posted here before, but for a very entertaining and informative read, check out

"Pride and Glory" Its the story of the 2000 Pride Grand Prix, one of the most important MMA tournaments ever held. Its all interviews with people who were involved with it, there is a lot of hilarious stuff in there on top of cool info.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pride-and-Glory-25240

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because of that article I built a shrine to honour Sakuraba.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Impact FC spoiler
    Awesome to see Semtex back to winning ways, didn't expect him to be as comfortable on his back as he was and never expected to see him throwing up subs from his back. :^:

also Ken Shamrock has been fighting for like 20 years and can't defend leg licks

815165 on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That Impact ppv was not good. Daley just seemed depressed in his prefight interview. It left me feeling a bit dirty.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Because of that article I built a shrine to honour Sakuraba.

Gracie too, really all those guys. The bullshit they have to go through just to get there, let alone the actual combat that they participate in is crazy.

But yeah, Sakuraba. Yeah, he fights 6, 15 minute rounds. Thats 90 minutes of fighting. Wins. But its a tournament, so that means he has to fight again, on the same night. Apparently it was a war too, but I can't find the fight so far.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All of Royce vs Saku is on youtube. I have no idea why the Gracies insisted on so many crazy rules for that fight.

edit: well obviously it was to tip the fight in their favour as usual but suggesting no time limit sure turned out to be a bad idea huh

815165 on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That Impact ppv was not good. Daley just seemed depressed in his prefight interview. It left me feeling a bit dirty.

I hope (with this win and a few others) he gets into SF, he could take the WW or MW belt there if he keeps improving his TDD and ground game.

He didn't do as badly agasint Kos as many thought he would considering Kos is what? top 3 in MMA for wrestling? I agree that what he did was fucking stupid but he is a legit top 10 in either division.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd really love to see Daley vs Diaz.

815165 on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

I hope (with this win and a few others) he gets into SF, he could take the WW or MW belt there if he keeps improving his TDD and ground game.

He didn't do as badly agasint Kos as many thought he would considering Kos is what? top 3 in MMA for wrestling? I agree that what he did was fucking stupid but he is a legit top 10 in either division.

Kos is like top 3 in his weight in the UFC for wrestling, but not MMA.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)