As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    That Impact ppv was not good. Daley just seemed depressed in his prefight interview. It left me feeling a bit dirty.

I hope (with this win and a few others) he gets into SF, he could take the WW or MW belt there if he keeps improving his TDD and ground game.

He didn't do as badly agasint Kos as many thought he would considering Kos is what? top 3 in MMA for wrestling? I agree that what he did was fucking stupid but he is a legit top 10 in either division.

Kos is like top 3 in his weight in the UFC for wrestling, but not MMA.

Ah, I don't know much about Div1 Wrestling and all that jazz but I thought his credentials were top notch?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    That Impact ppv was not good. Daley just seemed depressed in his prefight interview. It left me feeling a bit dirty.

I hope (with this win and a few others) he gets into SF, he could take the WW or MW belt there if he keeps improving his TDD and ground game.

He didn't do as badly agasint Kos as many thought he would considering Kos is what? top 3 in MMA for wrestling? I agree that what he did was fucking stupid but he is a legit top 10 in either division.

Kos is like top 3 in his weight in the UFC for wrestling, but not MMA.

I think you underestimate him. Before his fight with GSP, Kos was considered by many to have the best wrestling in the sport. After he got totally out-wrestled by GSP (who has no wrestling credentials at all) people wisely stopped saying that. But his wrestling is still among the very best; he's just under GSP in the WW division.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Impact FC spoiler
    Awesome to see Semtex back to winning ways, didn't expect him to be as comfortable on his back as he was and never expected to see him throwing up subs from his back. :^:

also Ken Shamrock has been fighting for like 20 years and can't defend leg licks

If anyone would like to see Ken Shamrock's failure to defend the leg kicks (or licks) you can view it here (go to 3:45):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMTKQ64CpGM

Also Dana White fails at twitter:
    danawhite: :-D my pleasure. Call my office 2 morrow 702 221 4781

He figured out his error somehow:
    danawhite: I fucked up and tweeted my number lol but I got to talk to a lot of cool people. Thank u all!!!

I'm dissapointed in Dana. "2 morrow" and "tomorrow" are the same number of charcters, it infuriates me that he wrote that.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to call Dana White right now and explain grammar to him.

adytum on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm so tempted to call him...

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too bad that's a landline. I just tried texting Dana. :lol:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be astonished if that number isn't either a. already deactivated or b. off by the end of the day.

Peen on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Miserydays wrote: »
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Careful with Judo, my friend has done it for a long time, but last year on a throw he pretty much tore everything in his shoulder because he positioned a little bit wrong.
    This is mainly why I haven't tried Judo so far, I'd be pissed if getting an injury in Judo affected my MT at all.

When ever I've met someone who did Judo for a decent length of time they tend to have either a lingering knee or shoulder injury.

I've rarely met any long-time judo players who haven't had shoulder or (especially) knee injuries either. The common way to learn to fall correctly seems to be to fall repeatedly, then be thrown repeatedly, so it basically ends up a trial by fire. And it only takes one mistake.

Uhhh, its a pretty terrible judo class if your fall training is "trial by fire". Judo training usually starts out with extensive training in breakfalls, that is, how to fall properly from various positions. This should be practiced for at least several classes before throws are attempted, and then refined for any more before you start going into full contact randori.

I didn't mean on day 1 they have black belts flinging you around the room, but there's no way to slow down "learning to fall", they way you can slow down say, "learning to block" in football. When you learn to block the coach can basically go through the entire technique in slow motion, or stop the whole thing mid-play to make corrections. In judo there's no slow motion falling or stopping mid-fall, unless you want to rig up some wire-fu stuff.

"Trial by fire" in football would be going full-speed at the moment of impact on day 1 of learning to block. When you fall in judo, gravity's not going any easier on you because it's day 1 instead of 1000.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I'll be astonished if that number is either a. already deactivated or b. off by the end of the day.

I would have to assume it's deactivated, Dana never deleted the Tweet (Or maybe he doesn't know how to?). It's pretty funny overall, it seems like he had a good sense of humor about it which is kinda refreshing. I'm sure lots of celebrities would be tweeting "Will you people please stop calling me every 3 seconds???"

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just watched the Daley fight, Jesus Christ the elbows he used to open the cut...you could hear them from across the ring...verbal tap due to the guy realizing he was bleeding profusely in his eye.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Miserydays wrote: »
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Careful with Judo, my friend has done it for a long time, but last year on a throw he pretty much tore everything in his shoulder because he positioned a little bit wrong.
    This is mainly why I haven't tried Judo so far, I'd be pissed if getting an injury in Judo affected my MT at all.

When ever I've met someone who did Judo for a decent length of time they tend to have either a lingering knee or shoulder injury.

I've rarely met any long-time judo players who haven't had shoulder or (especially) knee injuries either. The common way to learn to fall correctly seems to be to fall repeatedly, then be thrown repeatedly, so it basically ends up a trial by fire. And it only takes one mistake.

Uhhh, its a pretty terrible judo class if your fall training is "trial by fire". Judo training usually starts out with extensive training in breakfalls, that is, how to fall properly from various positions. This should be practiced for at least several classes before throws are attempted, and then refined for any more before you start going into full contact randori.

I didn't mean on day 1 they have black belts flinging you around the room, but there's no way to slow down "learning to fall", they way you can slow down say, "learning to block" in football. When you learn to block the coach can basically go through the entire technique in slow motion, or stop the whole thing mid-play to make corrections. In judo there's no slow motion falling or stopping mid-fall, unless you want to rig up some wire-fu stuff.

"Trial by fire" in football would be going full-speed at the moment of impact on day 1 of learning to block. When you fall in judo, gravity's not going any easier on you because it's day 1 instead of 1000.

You can start off light though. When I first started learning break-falls it was either falling from a squatting position (shorter distance to fall), or as part of a roll. Either way it didn't hurt at all. Places with fancy mats have an even easier time, allowing you to practice falls onto a nice soft surface.

I'm not a judo guy, but all of my fall training has been both painless and very useful. Judo is a tough art, no doubt about it, but learning to fall shouldn't be particularly painful and it certainly shouldn't cause injuries.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Technically, the pain is usually emergent when you're not learning to fall.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Who wants to see Randy Couture choke out Jim Norton? I certianly do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKHnz12syY

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The only thing I want to see Randy Couture do is retire from fighting.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Beats watching him shoulder-hump James Toney against a cage for 14.9 minutes.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is it wrong to hope against hope that Toney just lights him up? I know it's not going to happen but man anything to avoid another cage rape.

Peen on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Randy is going to gator roll him in under two minutes.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anything that replaces Handy's usual insomnia-curing is fine by me.

Also, Jake Shields' first match is set, vs Martin Kampmann "in CA in a few months", which would put it at UFC 121 (rumored to be Brock vs Cain) in Anaheim, CA in October.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Also, Jake Shields' first match is set, vs Martin Kampmann "in CA in a few months", which would put it at UFC 121 (rumored to be Brock vs Cain) in Anaheim, CA in October.

That'll be a pretty big card if you have Brock and Shields fighting.

I don't get the hatred for Couture, what has Captain America ever done to you? Other than bad PPV main events.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think it's pretty likely that the winner of Shields/Kampmann will get a title shot. It's the perfect stage to hype up a contender (on a Brock Lesnar card), and neither guy has lost to GSP yet.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

That'll be a pretty big card if you have Brock and Shields fighting.

I don't get the hatred for Couture, what has Captain America ever done to you? Other than bad PPV main events.

You answered your own question, really.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Besides his one fight against Vera, when has Randy been boring? The other two times he's went to decision in the last seven years were against Big Nog in their classic fight and against Sylvia in that epic ass-kicking.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't hate Randy. I just hate the way he fights now. It's boring and boring and boring. In the same way I hate to watch more Fitch, I hate watching Randy.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Besides his one fight against Vera, when has Randy been boring? The other two times he's went to decision in the last seven years were against Big Nog in their classic fight and against Sylvia in that epic ass-kicking.

Seriously. I'm not really a fan of Randy, but I certainly don't mind watching him fight, he's a continuing testament to how an intelligent fighter who is able to plan and adapt can stay competitive. His fight against Sylvia is one of my all time favs, and the Nog and Gonzaga fights were action packed.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Seriously. I'm not really a fan of Randy, but I certainly don't mind watching him fight, he's a continuing testament to how an intelligent fighter who is able to plan and adapt can stay competitive. His fight against Sylvia is one of my all time favs, and the Nog and Gonzaga fights were action packed.

Yeah that was exactly my point he has had a bad PPV main event, I don't see why you can hate him forever from that one fight. People don't seem to hate Anderson Silva for his horrible PPV showing/boring match

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Who said anything about hating him forever? I don't want to see him fight anymore, that's way different.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He's at that age where his performance appears to have been severely impacted. He doesn't have a glass chin like Chuck Liddell, but he doesn't come across as being a competitive fighter, either.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't hate Randy. I just hate the way he fights now. It's boring and boring and boring. In the same way I hate to watch more Fitch, I hate watching Randy.

This.

It's not a personal dislike like with say, Kos or Floyd Mayweather. I don't hope he loses every fight while getting punched in the face repeatedly the way I hope those 2 do.

The Vera and Coleman fights were snoozers. Just because he finished Coleman didn't make it a good fight to watch. CroCop finished Anthony Perosh, doesn't make it a good fight. I expect the Toney one to be boring too. Hopefully I'm wrong. If Handy busts out some flying armbar, I'll take it.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If Randy Couture headlines another PPV, I'm going to call up Dana White the following Monday during business hours and ask him what the fuck he was thinking.

Then he'll block my number.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    If Randy Couture headlines another PPV, I'm going to call up Dana White the following Monday during business hours and ask him what the fuck he was thinking.

Then he'll block my number.

I agree he should no longer be headlining PPVs, I don't really care if he headlines a free TV event because well it's free to watch.

I don't mind watching Couture fighting new/up and coming fighters, if he still wants to fight the more power to him. Heck throw him on a Spike undercard to get some ratings, to me he's still Captain America.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

This.

It's not a personal dislike like with say, Kos or Floyd Mayweather. I don't hope he loses every fight while getting punched in the face repeatedly the way I hope those 2 do.

The Vera and Coleman fights were snoozers. Just because he finished Coleman didn't make it a good fight to watch. CroCop finished Anthony Perosh, doesn't make it a good fight. I expect the Toney one to be boring too. Hopefully I'm wrong. If Handy busts out some flying armbar, I'll take it.

It was Mark Coleman. If the standard for not being a boring fighter is to put on an exciting fight against Mark Coleman nowadays, who can meet that standard? Maybe Jon Jones and...that's about it.

Randy boxed him up and choked him out in six minutes. All things considered, that was about as entertaining as it could have been.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mark Coleman is 45 years old and fought 3 times in the past 4 years.

Of those fights he won one- a decision- against Stephan Bonnar.

If you think Mark Coleman is at the top of his game right now..

edit- 3 times in the past for years, not 4.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mark Coleman is 45 years old and fought 3 times in the past 4 years.

Of those fights he won one- a decision- against Stephan Bonnar.

If you think Mark Coleman is at the top of his game right now..

edit- 3 times in the past for years, not 4.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood me.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think that 'reasonably' in shape Randy Couture beating a well-past-his-prime Mark Coleman is an exciting fight.

Given the shape Mark Coleman is in, and the performances he's put out, I don't think anyone beating him right now is an exciting fight.

Maybe I did misunderstand what you were trying to say, but it wasn't clearly written. :)

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Given the shape Mark Coleman is in, and the performances he's put out, I don't think anyone beating him right now is an exciting fight.

You pretty much just re-stated the point I made with that comment.

I was saying that Mark Coleman is a dreadful fighter now, and that it's virtually impossible for him to be in an exciting fight, so to criticize Couture for not lighting the world on fire against Coleman I thought was pretty unfair.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To be fair to me, I've read your original quote and I'm still unclear on what it's trying to say.

Regardless, Randy hasn't exactly been throwing up world-class performances and I'm of the opinion that he should be considering retirement rather than fighting people like James Toney and turning himself into something of a joke.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To be fair to me, I've read your original quote and I'm still unclear on what it's trying to say.

If you think what I said was wrapped in some incomprehensible riddle, fine. But it really does no good to repeatedly tell me that, though. The first time, I ignored it. This time, I'm kind of getting annoyed. Just let it go.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Umm, okay. Serious business.

So Randy Couture is still over-the-hill, and risks becoming a joke.

adytum on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I get you, Wet Bandit, and I think both of you are actually on the same page, for what that's worth.

Ady, Bandit is saying that watching anyone fight Coleman is going to be boring. And you agree.

And I don't see him trying to hold Toney against the cage. Chances are, Toney is going to be a better dirty boxer, cage or no. There's no logical reason for Randy to not take Toney down immediately and pound him out or sub him. No reason.

EDIT: And isn't some of the responsibility on the other guys? If Handy holds you against the cage for 15 minutes, that's your fault. He had a gameplan, and held to it, and you could do nothing to stop him. That makes him a better MMA fighter than you.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Umm, okay. Serious business.

This is what drives me nuts about the internet. If our exchange happened in a real-life conversation, this is how it would have went down:

Me: I think you misunderstood me.
    You: Oh, how so?
    Me: I'm saying that no one can have an entertaining fight with Mark Coleman.
    You: Oh, ok. I totally agree with that. Mark Coleman is terrible.

Instead, because this is the internet, this happened:

Me: I think you misunderstood me.
    You: I'm digging in my heels! But if I did misunderstand something, it was your fault (insert passive-aggressive smiley).
    Me: ...
    You: Seriously, to be fair to me, I still have no idea what your comment meant.
    Me: I'm kind of getting annoyed. Just let it go.
    You: Oh, way to blow it all out of proportion, man! Geez, I didn't realize this was such serious business!

Wet Bandit on