As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic News Thread: all the muck that's fit to trace

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Everything Boom! has or currently puts out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom!_Studios#Titles

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Keith, how can you like a book where a Superman pastiche squeezes his foster brother so hard that he becomes retarded?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Keith, how can you like a book where a Superman pastiche squeezes his foster brother so hard that he becomes retarded?

Wait, Mark Waid wrote that and he's going to take a swipe at JMS?

People who eat through goddamn straws shouldn't throw hardcovers at fortresses of solitude. (......huh)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irredeemable's a weird book. For the first few issues I didn't really like it, then I started loving it, then it was my most-anticipated book, and now I'm back to not really liking it. I feel like Waid might be dragging the story out a little bit, as well as making the characters act dumb as Hell in order to push along the plot. The most recent issue was especially bothersome to me.

However, everything I've heard about Incorruptible sounds great, and makes me think I should be buying that monthly, and trade-waiting Irredeemable, and not the other way around.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2010

As a fellow Superman pastiche with a retarded brother, I find the story easy to relate to.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I've literally never met a bilingual person that would just drop words from their native language into conversation. Maybe it's more common than I think, but it seems like an outdated way of saying, "Hey, this character's an ethnic minority!"

As a bilingual person myself (English and Russian), I can tell you that I regularly blurt out something in the language I am not currently speaking. It doesn't happen often - I don't say "nyet" when I mean "no", for example - and I don't have a swear or spirited catchphrase that I say only in one language, but it happens with some regularity. Almost always, it happens because I can't think of a word that does what I need it to do in one language, but the appropriate word in the other language springs readily to mind.

What I'm trying to say is that dropping in words from a different language is a real thing, and almost always just kinda happens involuntarily. At the same time, it's pretty unlikely for a person to speak flawless English but have one specific phrase that they always say in another language ("mein gott", "bozhe moi", "dios mio").

Delduwath on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And Arana (who got us talking about this) doesn't do that!

The moral is: fuck da haters

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey

That's pronounced ah-rahn-ya, for all you gringos!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    As a bilingual person myself (English and Russian), I can tell you that I regularly blurt out something in the language I am not currently speaking. It doesn't happen often - I don't say "nyet" when I mean "no", for example - and I don't have a swear or spirited catchphrase that I say only in one language, but it happens with some regularity. Almost always, it happens because I can't think of a word that does what I need it to do in one language, but the appropriate word in the other language springs readily to mind.

What I'm trying to say is that dropping in words from a different language is a real thing, and almost always just kinda happens involuntarily. At the same time, it's pretty unlikely for a person to speak flawless English but have one specific phrase that they always say in another language ("mein gott", "bozhe moi", "dios mio").
    Huh, that's good to know. I'd really always just assumed it was an invention of media, since the few bilingual people I've known over my life never did it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hey

That's pronounced ah-rahn-ya, for all you gringos!

Someone on CBR who hates that May's book got canceled insists on typing her name as "Arena"

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That doesn't even work as any kind of insult or jab. It makes me think of Countdown: Arena.

I don't like CBR.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I know! It just makes him look dumb.

In other news uhhhh where the fuck are marvel's solicits?

Furu on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Withheld until Comic Con is over.

Srsly.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »

Withheld until Comic Con is over.

Srsly.

Yeah I just saw. Lame.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah they're being solicit Starks and holding solicits prisoner until July 26th.

It's a very dumb thing to do, if it interferes with SDCC news you didn't do your job.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim, Creature Tech, Iron West, Tommysaurus Rex, Black Cherry, and all else that is awesome) has a new comic coming out. I really love that, despite having so much success in other media areas, TenNapel still puts out some fantastic, innovative new OGN every couple of years. Anyone that's never read his stuff is doing themselves a massive disservice.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim, Creature Tech, Iron West, Tommysaurus Rex, Black Cherry, and all else that is awesome) has a new comic coming out. I really love that, despite having so much success in other media areas, TenNapel still puts out some fantastic, innovative new OGN every couple of years. Anyone that's never read his stuff is doing themselves a massive disservice.

Ahh, damn, forgot about him. He's another name for my list of conservatives in comics.

Anyway, I will definitely be looking into this.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't even know Earthworm Jim started as a comic.

I need to look into this.

Because he's such a groovy guy!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't even know Earthworm Jim started as a comic.
    Oh, it didn't, TenNapel just did most of the conceptual design stuff for the game. I just threw it in because it's probably the thing most associated with him.

Comics were later made, but it was always a game first.

Munch on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    digging that art.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ahh, damn, forgot about him. He's another name for my list of conservatives in comics.
    I kinda wish I hadn't gone to his website and read about his political views.

:cry:

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I can tolerate a conservative viewpoint as long as it's not laced with homophobia. That's why I refuse to read anything by Orson Scott Card.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I can tolerate a conservative viewpoint as long as it's not laced with homophobia. That's why I refuse to read anything by Orson Scott Card.

I can't exactly remember Tennepal's stance, and part of me doesn't want to try and find it because I fear that he's in the same camp. But it's been so long since I've read about his politics, I may just be confusing it with others elsewhere.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

This looks pretty neat. I know you or someone else recommended him to me before, but I keep forgetting, or buying something else.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That doesn't even work as any kind of insult or jab. It makes me think of Countdown: Arena.

I don't like CBR.

Yeah, it's full of haters. I read the forums for a laugh sometimes, but they mostly chat shit about the Sentry over there so I loathe them in return. Honestly Graphic Violence is the best collection of comic fans that I have found online, everywhere else is full of people who apparantly hate comic books.

Solar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This looks pretty neat. I know you or someone else recommended him to me before, but I keep forgetting, or buying something else.

Yeah, considering how much I liked the Earthworm Jim games and cartoon, I feel remiss for not having done more to follow this man's career.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »

I don't like CBR.

Yeah, it's full of haters. I read the forums for a laugh sometimes, but they mostly chat shit about the Sentry over there so I loathe them in return. Honestly Graphic Violence is the best collection of comic fans that I have found online, everywhere else is full of people who apparantly hate comic books.

The irony is that the Bitching thread is on its fourth iteration and easily the most popular post on these forums. Well, MotW posts, if all combined, and Awesome Moments are pretty high up there, too.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bitching thread is like Gotham City, it will always be that way no matter what Batman does. I mean, what better place to make mountains out of mole mans?

And maybe if comic companies didn't make junk all the time we wouldn't have to go there and have 10 pages about shitty JMS Superman and WW, they made me do it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

I don't like CBR.

The irony is that the Bitching thread is on its fourth iteration and easily the most popular post on these forums. Well, MotW posts, if all combined, and Awesome Moments are pretty high up there, too.

It's true, a lot of the posts in the Bitching threads are people defending things other people have bitched about but it also contains some quality complaining. Still, I feel that this board is more positive and less reactionary than a lot of other groups. Also we don't see gay slash everywhere, like scans_daily do, something that I am very grateful for.

Solar on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grant Morrison is working on some huge thing, a retelling of the Mahbharata. It might be the same thing as this, I am not sure.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Boom! announces three new superhero series, penned by Paul Cornell, Chris Roberson, and Mark Waid.

Munch on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that could be really interesting.

Angry on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, didn't Paul Cornell just sign an exclusive contract with DC?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think it was a 'no Marvel' exclusive or they factored in the involvement with this one already.

KVW on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Boom! Also does the Farscape comics.

Which are awesome.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grant Morrison is working on some huge thing, a retelling of the Mahbharata. It might be the same thing as this, I am not sure.

Some of the initial art for that was incredible. That concept stuff is just decent though. Maybe I'm misremembering the context of the initial stuff.

NODe on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heh. As soon as I looked at the preview for that I was like "Man, dude looks like he drew Earthworm Jim" and now I find this out.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Madam Xanadue canceled, according to bleedingcool.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DC Nation Panel

I didn't realize they started Thursday now.

And people were saying they liked the Superman stuff, they are the scum of the earth.

And of course Roy Harper stuff where DC is spinning it that if you had kids you liked the issue because it touched a nerve.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what is the dumbest thing from that article

I mean, other than spelling they're wrong in the first dang paragraph

I ain't reading it after that

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
This discussion has been closed.