As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario who is Super and Papery loves to waggle

1293031323335»

• Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    EU release date revealed - Sept. 14th.

The same day as Tingle RPG, no less.

Where did you get this info?

NoE press release.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I finished this game tonight. The eighth world is excellent. It started to feel very predictable but I was surprised by what happened. :)

I'm missing four recipes from my collection. Three of them require inky sauce (which I believe you can only get by killing bloopers) and the fourth requires a dayzee tear (by killing dayzees). There's a low chance that they'll drop these items and enemies don't easily respawn. It's really annoying.

I've beaten the pit of 100 trials once each. I probably won't bother to do the Flopside one again. I'd like to do the treasure maps and collect all of the cards but after I beat a game, I tend to want to move on to another game.

Anyway, great game! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Taya on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, not to dredge up an old and dead thread, but I imported this and am LOVING it. I got some better cables too so I'm running in 480p too and it's pretty as hell. I love the art style and, initially, I thought all the dialogue would get to me, but I'm really quite enjoying it.

Just started 2-2 (I think), I left it last night because I was too tired.

I really enjoyed the
    fight with the robot dragon thingy, it reminded me of shadow of the colossus but in 2d!

at the end of the first act. Honestly, this is probably the first game I'll quite happily sit back and complete in a long while.

I've read a few bits and bobs in the thread and it seems there are some frustrating/repetitive parts, are these frequent?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    So, not to dredge up an old and dead thread, but I imported this and am LOVING it. I got some better cables too so I'm running in 480p too and it's pretty as hell. I love the art style and, initially, I thought all the dialogue would get to me, but I'm really quite enjoying it.

Just started 2-2 (I think), I left it last night because I was too tired.

I really enjoyed the
    fight with the robot dragon thingy, it reminded me of shadow of the colossus but in 2d!

at the end of the first act. Honestly, this is probably the first game I'll quite happily sit back and complete in a long while.

I've read a few bits and bobs in the thread and it seems there are some frustrating/repetitive parts, are these frequent?
    The part you're about to get to (2-3) is probably the one that is complained about the most as being frustrating and repetitive. It's really not that bad though. Just remember when you get there, it's a puzzle. If the situation seems ridiculous, there's probably more to it than you're being told.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I shall look forward to it :)

I enjoyed the castle stage! Although I'm sure there's more to be found than I initially saw though!

Minor irk, I wish there was a quicker way to switch between pixls.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I shall look forward to it :)

I enjoyed the castle stage! Although I'm sure there's more to be found than I initially saw though!

Minor irk, I wish there was a quicker way to switch between pixls.

Hit 1+2 to get to the quick menu and then select a Pixl.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ahh, I was hitting - then pixl, then selecting. It wasn't a major problem but I just thought if you could flick between them it'd be better.

Still loving it though, it was the main reason I modded my Wii, I was sick of waiting.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Erm, this Mario is a platformer and not a Turn Based RPG? I am so getting it now.

Unless I am misunderstanding.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    it's a bit of both, plenty of talking but loads of platforming action so far. It's more platformer than RPG and I am absolutely loving it. Here are some screens:

super-paper-mario-20060518045304352.jpg

07.jpg
    (That part of the level looks awfully familiar ;) )

It's a little bit more "puzzle based", you gain the skill to flip from a 2d world to a 3d world. Say for example in 2d there's a wall blocking your way, flip to 3d and simply walk behind it. See below:

ME0000686059_2.jpg

So yeah, buy it. It's enormous fun.

A lot of text to go through if you're impatient though!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it's a bit of both, plenty of talking but loads of platforming action so far. It's more platformer than RPG and I am absolutely loving it.

By which he means a little bit RPG and a little platformer. It is not turn based at all.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yay, just done 2-3, really enjoyed it!
    People seriously stayed on that wheel to gain the rupees????!?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thread resurrect!

I've just passed the:
    part where you have to fight about 30 guys before getting to the pure heart.

Was that the annoying repetitive part people were on about? It could have come at a better time, I was demonstrating to a friend how cool the game was and I got to that bit and
    went through 30 identical fights. Which were incredibly easy. Was there meant to be ANY challenge there? I just used Bowser and the Throwing pixel. Immediately breathed flame, if they didn't die then or they moved back I used the throwing pixel, grabbed them, held down and threw them. As soon as I let go, they got toasted by Bowser's breath.

Does the game pick back up again now or is it a bit of a slog to the finish?

And yes, it's taken me an awfully long time to complete it, I don't get much time to myself :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It does get more interesting, than the 30 fights anyway. The last two worlds are rather eerie.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thread resurrect!

I've just passed the:
    part where you have to fight about 30 guys before getting to the pure heart.

Was that the annoying repetitive part people were on about? It could have come at a better time, I was demonstrating to a friend how cool the game was and I got to that bit and
    went through 30 identical fights. Which were incredibly easy. Was there meant to be ANY challenge there? I just used Bowser and the Throwing pixel. Immediately breathed flame, if they didn't die then or they moved back I used the throwing pixel, grabbed them, held down and threw them. As soon as I let go, they got toasted by Bowser's breath.

Does the game pick back up again now or is it a bit of a slog to the finish?

And yes, it's taken me an awfully long time to complete it, I don't get much time to myself :)

The annoying repetitive part was chapter two I thought. Just wait. After you beat the game you can
    go back and fight all 100 sammer guys.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Finished this game a while back. Style and writing are kind of fun, plus there are a few good minigames. However, it's incredibly easy, it's a pain to change pixels and characters all the time, and the game throws repetitive, tedious crap at you a lot. At first I thought it was a somewhat okay game, but then I realized I could have just replayed New Super Mario Bros and had a lot more fun.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Finished this game a while back. Style and writing are kind of fun, plus there are a few good minigames. However, it's incredibly easy, it's a pain to change pixels and characters all the time, and the game throws repetitive, tedious crap at you a lot. At first I thought it was a somewhat okay game, but then I realized I could have just replayed New Super Mario Bros and had a lot more fun.
    Yeah, towards the end of the game it just seems like the developers just gave up on trying to make it a good game and just opted to throw in whatever random tasks they could, then make you repeat that stuff over and over.

I think about the only thing that really stayed fresh and original throughout the game was the flipping power. Even towards the last level I was seeing new puzzles and ideas using the flip, but all the stuff in between these cool ideas was just annoying.

Pooch on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I laugh out loud pretty much any time anyone gets a mega star. I just love getting them. Also,
    That one part where the random Koopa gets one? Hilarious. Especially after you trek back a bit, get your own, and just walk into him for that *hiccup* kill of the giant turtle. Bowser's Mega Star version is HUGEMONGOUS. I loved this game.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wait wait wait... characters OTHER than Mario can get a Megastar? Why have I not tried this?!?

Going to complete the game today after tidying the house.

The
    empty white level where you fight Luigi and Brobot is fucking creepy. Just defeated him, fairly easy fight really :)

The game may be easy but I'm loving it.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I enjoyed this game, it's definitely worth a rental (seeing as how it can be beaten within a week). I never really found anything too repetitive, but I'm easy going when it comes to doing things over and over again, so I probably just didn't notice.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely love the game, but to me, it's lacking compared to the two Paper Marios before it. Just seems way more linear, and less endearing than the more RPG-oriented ones.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well yes. 2D games tend to be a bit linear.

Especially compared to 3D ones.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Resurrecting the thread now that I finally beat the game myself. Outside of the traditional sources of complaints, I enjoyed it quite a bit, though Chapter 3-4 represents the pinacle of the game for me as well. I thought it was interesting that, in the three Paper Mario games
    One of Mario's companions in this game was the final boss of each one. Or at least a vessel to be possessed by the final boss. The final boss of Super Paper Mario 2 or whatnot should totally be Mario.

I really wish the regular Mario games or their expanded sports/kart/party titles acknowledged that a half-dozen complete sets of characters and worlds exist in these RPGs. Would it be that hard to have, say, Mimi and Vivian show up as playable characters in a Mario Party? Maybe that bean prince guy driving a go cart? And Smithy, Bleck, or Cackletta would make great assist trophies in the next Smash Brothers.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.