As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Walmart Spends $2M To Save $7K (Or, Why Regulations Do Matter)

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I presume he means this:
    “OSHA wants to hold Wal-Mart accountable for a standard that was neither proposed nor issued at the time of the incident,” said David Tovar, a Wal-Mart spokesman. “The citation has far-reaching implications for the retail industry that could subject retailers to unfairly harsh penalties and restrictions on future sales promotions.”

OSHA officials acknowledge that the agency is seeking to establish for the first time that an unruly crowd is an occupational hazard that can cause death or serious injury — and that employers must therefore develop plans to protect workers against such a hazard.

It's a fine from a policy change after-the-fact: so it's a retroactive fine.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    WalMart does everything it can to fuck over its employees just so they can make a teensy bit more profit in the short term. Oh, and if you unionize? They close the whole fucking store.

That's incredibly illegal and pretty easy to prove they shut down the store in response to unionization. Unless all the managers take a shit in the middle of the floor and declare it a health hazard or something. We've had a few companies in the local area try to promote every single employee to salary and called them management, even though they were making less money on salary. Yeah that didn't fly.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    I presume he means this:
    “OSHA wants to hold Wal-Mart accountable for a standard that was neither proposed nor issued at the time of the incident,” said David Tovar, a Wal-Mart spokesman. “The citation has far-reaching implications for the retail industry that could subject retailers to unfairly harsh penalties and restrictions on future sales promotions.”

OSHA officials acknowledge that the agency is seeking to establish for the first time that an unruly crowd is an occupational hazard that can cause death or serious injury — and that employers must therefore develop plans to protect workers against such a hazard.

It's a fine from a policy change after-the-fact: so it's a retroactive fine.

No, it's not. Read the thread.

Edit: I'l even put the explaination here, to make things easier - OSHA is holding Walmart accountable under a regulation that has been on the books for years, which says that they have a duty to do everything they can to mitigate a known hazard. While this may be the first time that a stampeding mob is being held as a known hazard, it's not like this is just coming out of left field.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    WalMart does everything it can to fuck over its employees just so they can make a teensy bit more profit in the short term. Oh, and if you unionize? They close the whole fucking store.

That's incredibly illegal and pretty easy to prove they shut down the store in response to unionization. Unless all the managers take a shit in the middle of the floor and declare it a health hazard or something. We've had a few companies in the local area try to promote every single employee to salary and called them management, even though they were making less money on salary. Yeah that didn't fly.

You're right - it's incredibly fucking illegal. The two times that Walmart did it (once in the US, once in Canada), they were eventually found guilty. But it took years for those rulings, and by the time they came down, it was cold comfort for the people Walmart shafted.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You're right - it's incredibly fucking illegal. The two times that Walmart did it (once in the US, once in Canada), they were eventually found guilty. But it took years for those rulings, and by the time they came down, it was cold comfort for the people Walmart shafted.

I imagine they would have to pay out years of wages though in response to that. Not only that, I'd say that future dealings with wal-mart should opt down to the employees if it's a case of unionization automatically. Just because a douchebag will pretty much always be a douchebag.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    But things like this are a problem where I work
    Pictures of a pile of trash

Yes it's a pile of trash I have no idea what is going on but there are days it piles but and no one picks it up

What the fucking fuck, don't people know how to throw trash down the goddamn compactor chute?
    The doors are padlocked for some reason
    Really no one knows why they are or is being vague and stupid.

What I find funny is we had a rash of accidents two weeks ago {a bookcase fell on me} and they posted signed all over the place saying if our concerns about safety were not being addressed to call the ethics line. The Edoc and state labour board have a file cabinet about our store I only found this out because of a certain manager and his rather racist attitude

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A BOOKCASE fell on you?

bowen on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A BOOKCASE fell on you?

Yes it fell on me punched a dime sized hole in my back I thought it just bruised me but when I took my shirt off my brother pointed to the dried blood

I have heard that someone controls the temp at work Corporate level is what I heard supposedly it's -10 from what it is outside so if it's 70 something at night and that rather large parking lot rids itself of the heat it's an oven inside

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hm. I guess we can take solace in the face that the bookcase was probably a wal-mart bookcase too. So it could've been a lot worse.

bowen on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First off, other contemporary reports note that no cops were present.
    That seemed the case early Friday at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, on Long Island, where the Nassau County police had to be called in for crowd control about 3 a.m., and an officer with a bullhorn pleaded for order.

Tension grew as the 5 a.m. opening neared. By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault.

This seems like a problem of police incompetence or lack of resources, and the individual members of the mob more than anything. The police were called... where did they go?

Okay Loren, the incompetent police are nowhere to be seen and no one is controlling the unruly mob. People have been trampled on Black Friday before so you know there's a risk of it happening here.

Do you

A. Tell some unlucky minimum wage earner to go open the door

or

B. Maybe wait for the police to show up and the mob's calmed down

Quid on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm having trouble getting the full story here. I feel like there's multiple sets of info.

Nation & World Article.
    Tension grew as the 5 a.m. opening neared. By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault.

Witnesses and the police said the doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through
    in a rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, of Queens, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him.
    So the crowd BROKE THROUGH the closed (possibly not locked, though) doors?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    That seemed the case early Friday at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, on Long Island, where the Nassau County police had to be called in for crowd control about 3 a.m., and an officer with a bullhorn pleaded for order.

This seems like a problem of police incompetence or lack of resources, and the individual members of the mob more than anything. The police were called... where did they go?

Okay Loren, the incompetent police are nowhere to be seen and no one is controlling the unruly mob. People have been trampled on Black Friday before so you know there's a risk of it happening here.

Do you

A. Tell some unlucky minimum wage earner to go open the door

or

B. Maybe wait for the police to show up and the mob's calmed down

All of the stories I've read on this have indicated that the mob broke in through the doors. None of them have indicated that "some unlucky minimum wage earner" was told to open the door. I wonder where you get your information from. This story indicates that "just before the store’s scheduled 5 a.m. opening" the doors were destroyed by the crowd.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The thing is, Loren, the forming of the mob is the evidence of Walmart's negligence.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Everything is foreseeable in hindsight.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yes, its not like there haven't been serious trampling incidents on prior Black Fridays....

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I haven't read all the articles, but have other shops (or Wal-Mart itself) been fined by OSHA for trampling incidents prior to this one?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing is, Loren, the forming of the mob is the evidence of Walmart's negligence.

Again:

Steps were clearly taken, the police were called and were apparently there long enough to use a bullhorn.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Again:

Steps were clearly taken, the police were called and were apparently there long enough to use a bullhorn.

Yeah...do you understand the principle of due diligence?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yes, its not like there haven't been serious trampling incidents on prior Black Fridays....

The question has always been about whether OSHA has the right to redraw the line of due diligence ex post facto.

If this shit is so goddamn obvious, OSHA should have explicitly stated as much before the event. You know why it didn't? Because it wasn't obvious.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think it was pretty obvious. I've seen the way people get on black Fridays. They turn into fucking manimals.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And I'm sure you forsee all the totally-obvious-in-hindsight incidents that will happen in the future, too.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The question has always been about whether OSHA has the right to redraw the line of due diligence ex post facto.

If this shit is so goddamn obvious, OSHA should have explicitly stated as much before the event. You know why it didn't? Because it wasn't obvious.

Again with the silly goosery. Just because a regulation doesn't have a bright line doesn't make it ex post facto. This point has been explained several times in the thread.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And I'm sure you forsee all the totally-obvious-in-hindsight incidents that will happen in the future, too.

If there is a huge mass of people who desperately want to get in somewhere, and the doors are made of fucking glass, it is pretty goddamn obvious that the doors could easily break and someone could get trampled. This does not require hindsight. Goose.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Look up the BrandSmart trampling incident. Then look at when it happened.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Again with the silly goosery. Just because a regulation doesn't have a bright line doesn't make it ex post facto. This point has been explained several times in the thread.

Even OSHA says that they are seeking to establish for the first time that unruly crowds are an obvious occupational hazard regulatable under its general-duty clause. Did you even read the damn article?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, a regulatory body that lacks common sense. That's something new <---sarcasm.

Every black friday sucks because instead of stores taking steps to minimize violence (namely a ticket system), they perpetuate it by keeping people in the dark, lines that aren't managed, etc.

Preettty pretty bad.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Even OSHA says that they are seeking to establish for the first time that unruly crowds are an obvious occupational hazard regulatable under its general-duty clause. Did you even read the damn article?

So, the first one's free?

Or maybe the concept of the general duty clause is to say that businesses are required to watch trends and incidents, and plan accordingly? And when they don't, they are liable for being negligent?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys at my Home Depot got pushed over and stepped on routinely on Black Friday. Luckily they weren't injured. I wasn't very surprised when I heard someone finally died in the human stampedes.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Had there been a trampling prior to this one, wherein an employee was injured? Wal-Mart or not. I'm going to assume "yes."

Why didn't OSHA address the issue at that point, rather than waiting for something so extreme as a death to occur? If OSHA was acting like "first one's free," why should Wal-Mart assume they'd be any different?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

If there is a huge mass of people who desperately want to get in somewhere, and the doors are made of fucking glass, it is pretty goddamn obvious that the doors could easily break and someone could get trampled. This does not require hindsight. Goose.

You and Bowen should team up to write a list of these obvious things!

And you know what? I bet you'll miss at least one, even if it has occurred before sometime in the history of modern civilization. And I think you know that you'll miss at least one, too. But you don't see the problem in expecting all employers to be goddamn omniscient?

Everything is obvious in hindsight. Christ, people, this is one of the most basic biases that our monkey brains have. Learn to recognize it sometime.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why do you keep claiming that this incident required hindsight to predict? People have been trampled before in very similar situations.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ronya either lives in a rich ass neighborhood or has never gone shopping on black friday.

I've seen people come out with bloody faces after getting hit/elbowed at one of these events in more than one instance.

Anyone who has been at one of these crazed events (including the stores!) would know that this sort of stuff does not end well. It never does.

Maybe I'm just old and have seen plenty of stuff in my day, but I don't think it hindsight even comes into play with stuff like this. Ask anyone who has worked on black friday - it gets dangerous.

It is also notably different than a console release where you don't need to run to the aisles and be first.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

If you've ever been to one of these door buster black friday sales you would know that a trampling was an EASILY predictable event.

I did a Best Buy in 2008 and was surprised there wasn't a goddamn stabbing on the line. The mass of people stretched several blocks by 2AM and the horde was downright fucking feral by the time the doors opened.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Ronya either lives in a rich ass neighborhood or has never gone shopping on black friday.

Valley Stream is a pretty rich neighborhood, despite it's, you know WalMart.

But yeah, Ronya has no fucking clue Re: Black Friday. this has literally NOTHING to do with hindsight. Anyone that couldn't have predicted that combining a large mass of sleep deprived people competing for maybe 3 dozen $99 BluRay players could lead to a death or two should not be taken all that seriously.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If it was so damned obvious, why didn't OSHA simply say so before the fact.

Incidentally, another account:
    Customer mayhem at post-Thanksgiving Day sales has been a fairly common occurrence in the last 15 years, but the casualties were fairly minor. The crowd in front of the Long Island store was unruly before the doors opened and Wal-Mart had called the police. They left minutes before the stampede, leading legal experts to ask: If this was a foreseeable incident, why did the police leave?

which neatly explains why AngelHedgie's quoted account says that there were no police officers in sight, despite having used a bullhorn earlier. The police came came. Then they left!

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As I said before I've worked black friday, 3 times actually before I stopped working in retail (also the launch of 2 major consoles at one of only two stores in a city of 100,000 people that carried them). The target I worked at took extraordinary steps to insure safety during events when a crowd gathered, the LOD (manager) in all cases made it clear that the store would remain closed if people were in anything other than a line and it worked

I'm not sure that's the only viable solution or if that would have worked here but, ffs the fact that there aren't trampling deaths at every wal-mart is an indication that other stores take more proactive measures and do see it as a threat
    If it was so damned obvious, why didn't OSHA simply say so before the fact.

Incidentally, another account:
    Customer mayhem at post-Thanksgiving Day sales has been a fairly common occurrence in the last 15 years, but the casualties were fairly minor. The crowd in front of the Long Island store was unruly before the doors opened and Wal-Mart had called the police. They left minutes before the stampede, leading legal experts to ask: If this was a foreseeable incident, why did the police leave?

which neatly explains why AngelHedgie's quoted account says that there were no police officers in sight, despite having used a bullhorn earlier. The police came came. Then they left!

Perhaps it was the police department's fault then, I don't know. What I do know is that it's a good thing that OSHA is finally making this an issue. Maybe Wal-Mart shouldn't be fined by them, but this definitely needs to be on the books

override367 on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i remember the 24 hr superwalmarts last year basically just let people in and congregate around the sale items in plastic wrap and had employees guarding them and put in charge of handing them out when the clock turned over
    from what i hear it was quite a pleasant event

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If they aren't breaking up a keg party, Nassau County Cops know jack shit.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Perhaps it was the police department's fault then, I don't know. What I do know is that it's a good thing that OSHA is finally making this an issue. Maybe Wal-Mart shouldn't be fined by them, but this definitely needs to be on the books

Yes, it should be on the books, and as a regulation, not a "guideline" which is all the OSHA has issued on crowd control even now.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes, it should be on the books, and as a regulation, not a "guideline" which is all the OSHA has issued on crowd control even now.

I weep for society that it even has to be a regulation

Fuck's sake people, saving $20 on a toaster isn't worth it

override367 on