As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi, it's just [Despicable Me]

SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
despicableme_poster.jpg

So this movie came out yesterday, and so far has garnered some pretty favorable reviews.

The story revolves around Gru (Steve Carrel) who's a down-on-his-luck supervillain who has set his sights on stealing the moon. In the process of preparing for it, however, he ends up adopting three orphaned girls. Hijinks ensue.

This is neither a Pixar or a Dreamworks film, but instead it comes from Illumination Entertainment, a company started by Chris Melendandri (the producer of several animated Fox films like Ice Age, Robots, etc), in conjunction with Universal Studios.

I saw this movie yesterday, and thought it was pretty good myself. It's not necessarily Pixar, but very little is, and this film can hold it's own and be very entertaining. It's definitely worth a look.

SpeedySwaf on

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Saw this with the wife earlier today. I was pleasantly surprised; positive reviews aside, I wasn't expecting much, based on the initial trailers.

The overall plot is a bit weak, and the villain is especially underwhelming, but Gru, the minions, and the three girls manage to carry the movie nonetheless.

The three little girls, in particular, are absolutely adorable. They're probably the cutest animated children since Boo from Monsters Inc.
    Let's go destroy another game!

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wish these studios would come up with their own art style. I can't tell who makes what anymore. Pixar movies tend to have very specific art styles.

Really, every non-pixar film with humans seems to have just copied "the Incredibles" and called it a day.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They had the 'dreamworks smirk' too

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dreamworks even caved; the smirk is their schtik now.
    megamind-poster.jpg

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    megamind-poster.jpg

Ugh. Speaking to visual styles (in non-Pixar films), the style of Tangled looks really good. I can't wait for that one.

Anyways, about the movie, I plan on seeing it eventually

An animated film focusing on the villain seems pretty novel, and I really like the cast. Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Will Arnett, Miranda Cosgrove? Yes please. Plus I have a bit more faith in non-Pixar Disney CG now; Bolt was surprisingly entertaining.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Which one was tangled again? The non-pixar disney one, or the one by yet another studio formed from people who did ice age?

That is, the animated one by that other group, not the one that has the creepy uncanny valley dogs and cats. G-force actually did a pretty good job of balancing the animation and looking 'realistic'

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tangled is the new non-Pixar Disney one. Its a retelling of Rapunzel, done by the people who were in charge of Bolt (which was surprisingly awesome), which is also known as Disney's main computer animation arm.

My friend is really excited for Despicable Me but the trailers have all left me with a heavy meh, aside from the "ITS SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE". Hilarious. Might pay to see the movie to support that line alone.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But seriously, the kids are really well done in the movie. Heck, they're better than the 'A Plot' with the super villainy and stuff

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoyed the movie. Anytime there were minions on screen I couldn't help but crack up, and the youngest of the girls was absolutely adorable. The professor was really funny too. I'd laugh just watching him stand there.

Come to think of it, I actually liked it quite a bit.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good movie, better than I was expecting. The villian, Vector, was "meh" as someone commented earlier, but the girls, Gru, and the minions (along with Professor Nafrious) carried the movie quite well.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Watched it yesterday, was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. "Dart Gun" and "Cookie Robots" still cracks me up, and pretty much every scene with minions in it was solid. Soundtrack was great as well, pretty sure Pharrell is not cheap to get.

Did anyone have that Best Buy App thing? What was that all about? I stayed till the "Ref minion" took part in the game they were playing, credits started and I left.

Then I watched Knight and Day afterwards and was sad it would probably make more money than Despicable Me.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I might see this tonight with my little bro. Not much else in theaters that I want to see, or that I haven't already.

On the subject of Tangled, I understand the art direction they're trying to go with it, but I didn't really notice the detail in the trailer before Toy Story 3. Maybe it'd be more noticeable without the 3D; more vibrant too probably. But it came off, to me, looking like a Dreamworks affair, and while that's certainly not bad, I really wish they would've hand-animated this movie too, and Disney could solidify their stance on continuing quality hand-drawn movies.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lordswing wrote: »
    Watched it yesterday, was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. "Dart Gun" and "Cookie Robots" still cracks me up, and pretty much every scene with minions in it was solid. Soundtrack was great as well, pretty sure Pharrell is not cheap to get.

Then I watched Knight and Day afterwards and was sad it would probably make more money than Despicable Me.

Not quite. :mrgreen:

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »

Not quite. :mrgreen:

That's very heartening to see. Especially that it's almost made its full budget back.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The three little girls, in particular, are absolutely adorable. They're probably the cutest animated children since Boo from Monsters Inc.

"It's so fuzzy I'm gonna die!!"

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

"It's so fuzzy I'm gonna die!!"

My wife had made me watch that preview like a hundred times. Yet, when we grabbed a friend's kids to go watch it, I found that A) there was just enough more to the scene to make it feel new and B) it wouldn' thave gotten old anyway.

Not the best movie ever, by any means, but definitely a solid animated movie that gets a ton of laughs for young and old alike. Though, based on the squirm factor on the little one next to us, it drags a bit for the really little kids.

EDIT: Basically it seemed like there were some long stretches where all of the jokes would go over the heads of the single-digit kids in the audience. But then, if you pack it with humor for the nose-mining set, then it's no fun for the adults. Tough to balance.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It was good, a nice solid, fun kid's movie. There's nits to be picked, if you're really the kind of jerk that goes in to a kid's feature and wants to be a turd, but overall there's no reason not to go and enjoy yourself for a bit with family.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was good.

It wasn't as touching as Up! or Toy Story 3, and Gru's character development felt like it was a little rushed, but otherwise... Fun, and I'm definitely glad that I saw it.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Enjoyable movie, no doubt. I feel like Carrell could have ... done something with the accent though. For some reason (one I can't put my finger on) certain things he said just felt off. The three girls were all awesome, though. And the Minions. <3

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Probably the hardest I laughed was
    the anti-gravity serum. 'Dart gun' would have probably made me laugh my head off, too, if I hadn't seen it in a preview.

Dac on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    :^: for this movie.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    the anti-gravity serum. 'Dart gun' would have probably made me laugh my head off, too, if I hadn't seen it in a preview.
    "I meant to shut that."
    "Does it wear off?"
    "Um...no."
    Did anyone have that Best Buy App thing? What was that all about? I stayed till the "Ref minion" took part in the game they were playing, credits started and I left.

Did you see it in 2D? Because the bit before the end credits in 3D didn't have anything to do with a game and a referee. Instead, it was an increasingly elaborate series of attempts by the minions to reach out and touch the audience.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    LoxxLoxx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

For me it was
    when they were in the air vent and used the minion as a glowstick. :D

Loxx on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just saw this last night and it was great!

I agree that the little girls were absolutely the cutest things ever. The minions were hilarious, and this is coming from someone who got annoyed at the previews featuring them and figured I'd also be annoyed during the movie. The fluffy unicorn bit was great. I teared up at several points, like when the littlest one handed Gru her piggy bank for example. Actually most of the parts I teared up with involved her... also teared up at
    when they got taken away and then ended up in the box of shame. :( poor kids!

The weirdest thing was at the end I realized I only knew the oldest girls name - Margo - and that was only because Gru shouted it while she was on Vector's machine's wing. Otherwise I would not have known her name. I guess this wasn't important but it made me realize that their names really weren't used very much at all during the movie.

But what sucked was that I couldn't help but compare my reactions to those of Toy Story 3. I just saw TS3 early last week so when I got out I caught myself thinking, "Well, it was good... but TS3 was better and made me cry and laugh more..." It really is a great movie and I wish I wouldn't do that, just kinda sucks that it came out so close to an absolutely phenomenal Pixar movie.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    megamind-poster.jpg

Wait. Wait wait wait. They put Brad Pitt in an animated movie?

Good freakin' lord. You'd think Dreamworks would have learned their lesson when they cast Pitt in Sinbad, and it bombed hard. He's just not that interesting a voice actor! Sure, some celebrities can do it well. Steve Carrell I'm sure is great, and I'll bet Will Farrell will be fine. But stunt casting just for the sake of stunt casting never works. Here I thought they were calming down after How to Train Your Dragon, but I guess not.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sinbad didn't bomb because of Pitt. It bombed because of lackluster marketing and the fact that it wasn't a very well made film.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    megamind-poster.jpg

Good freakin' lord. You'd think Dreamworks would have learned their lesson when they cast Pitt in Sinbad, and it bombed hard. He's just not that interesting a voice actor!

Major spoilers from the wiki of that movie, but
    it doesn't look like Metroman lives very long at all.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    megamind-poster.jpg

Good freakin' lord. You'd think Dreamworks would have learned their lesson when they cast Pitt in Sinbad, and it bombed hard. He's just not that interesting a voice actor!

That...wouldn't make a lot of sense as I thought the the whole point of the movie was for the two to battle.

Edit: Ok, so I read the synopsis on Wiki....if that's true then it seems they have completely advertised this movie falsely. That tends to backfire.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Did you see it in 2D? Because the bit before the end credits in 3D didn't have anything to do with a game and a referee. Instead, it was an increasingly elaborate series of attempts by the minions to reach out and touch the audience.

Uh... "who can reach the farthest" was the game. And there was a referee, with a measuring tape, who blew his whistle all penalty-like when one of the minions hit the other or otherwise "fouled".

That was the 2D version (which I saw). And from what you described, sounds like the 3D version as well.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, this was pretty great. It was as enjoyable as some of the lesser Pixar films.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't seen this, but I did watch a making-of on HBO over the weekend. The little girl that voices the youngest is as adorable off screen as she is on. For all of her giggling lines, they had her father come in studio and tickle her. I could have sworn I recognized her from somewhere, but her IMDB is pretty empty, so I guess I'm mistaken.

Elsie Fisher
    522333.jpg

EDIT: This post came off much creapier than I had anticipated. :?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think she's in some car commercial recently where she gets in the a minivan with her Dad to avoid her brothers or something.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I think she's in some car commercial recently where she gets in the a minivan with her Dad to avoid her brothers or something.

That's it! Thanks, I thought I was going a bit crazy.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    megamind-poster.jpg

That...wouldn't make a lot of sense as I thought the the whole point of the movie was for the two to battle.

Edit: Ok, so I read the synopsis on Wiki....if that's true then it seems they have completely advertised this movie falsely. That tends to backfire.

They advertised a movie without laying out the plot in perfect, intricate detail?

Fiends. I weep to think at the people who will have coronaries when they find themselves unprepared!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    megamind-poster.jpg

They advertised a movie without laying out the plot in perfect, intricate detail?

Fiends. I weep to think at the people who will have coronaries when they find themselves unprepared!

Har Har.

But seriously, look at the trailer.
    It's Megamind Vs. Metroman. There is no indication at all that Metroman might die. I dunno, maybe they will release another trailer later that will be a bit more clear. I'm not saying the whole plot has to be given away, but generally when audiences see a movie that is completely different from what they were expecting, it's not taken well.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find the unerring story-revealing accuracy of most trailers annoying. I prefer things like Inception, which are just "hey, this movie: super weird riiight?"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I find the unerring story-revealing accuracy of most trailers annoying. I prefer things like Inception, which are just "hey, this movie: super weird riiight?"

Yeah, but it'd be like if the trailer for Inception showed all this reality bending stuff but in the actual movie that only takes place in the first 10 minutes.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    megamind-poster.jpg

Har Har.

It's Megamind Vs. Metroman. There is no indication at all that Metroman might die. I dunno, maybe they will release another trailer later that will be a bit more clear. I'm not saying the whole plot has to be given away, but generally when audiences see a movie that is completely different from what they were expecting, it's not taken well.

You are complaining that the trailer doesn't spoil the plot? You realize what a miracle that is for a Dreamworks movie. Hell, go an see Megamind based on the strength of that alone. Wouldn't you kill to be surprised a little bit by a movie again?

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    megamind-poster.jpg

Har Har.

You are complaining that the trailer doesn't spoil the plot? You realize what a miracle that is for a Dreamworks movie. Hell, go an see Megamind based on the strength of that alone. Wouldn't you kill to be surprised a little bit by a movie again?
    No I'm complaining that the the trailer seems to set up expectations for something that is Not, in fact, what the film is.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    megamind-poster.jpg

Har Har.

No I'm complaining that the the trailer seems to set up expectations for something that is Not, in fact, what the film is.

The movie sets up the expectation that this will be a movie about the quirky villain Megamind. That is what it will be. It's not like it is actually going to be a romantic drama about having sex on a road trip or something, and the difficulties faced by single mothers.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln