As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CPU fan noisy

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Also, I'm broke, so.

What are some possible fixes to a noisy fan? It's a stock fan that came with an Intel E7400.

I'm told putting a drop of sewing machine oil inside the bearing of the CPU fan helps? Yes/no?

Thoughts?

Magus` on

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oiling the fan can work wonders for keeping it quiet, in my experience (And any fan, too - not only the CPU fan). I always use 3-in-1 oil, which you can find at most grocery stores. Just open your case, remove any dust from the fan, and peel back the sticker that's on the central axis. when you see the screw point at the center, add a single drop of 3-in-1 oil. Then put the sticker back, and close up the case. Hopefully it'll sound a lot quieter, unless there's something else wrong with the fan.

A more thorough explanation of how to do it can be read here.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I recommend blowing out the bearing casing with a bottle of duster gas or compressed air, most effectively done if you still have the straw that came with it to direct the stream into the casing. After you've gassed it, then lube it, personally I prefer lubricants containing Teflon, but normal 3-in-1 or Electrical 3-in-1 work well also. Blowing it out beforehand prevents any dust or debris from mixing with the lubricant and turning into a gooey mess.

Ruckus on
  • KryptykSolKryptykSol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    addendum to blowing out the fan, I have one of those fans that gets faster as the cpu gets hotter, and it seemed stuck at 100% all the time after a while, I even blew it out and everything. Turns out that dust has formed a blanket on top of the heatsink under the fan, and the fan couldnt get any air to the heatsink. Just something to look for, Ive never heard it mentioned anywhere else.

KryptykSol on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The heat sink wasn't too dusty, but I cleaned it.

I also took off the old thermal grease and put on a fresh coating.

Oddly enough I could not access the rod inside the fan, as the hole that was meant to be there was covered in a (solid) piece of plastic.

The grease at least has dropped my idle temps 5C to 45C (no OCing), so I guess it wasn't a total bust.

Magus` on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Magus` wrote: »
    The heat sink wasn't too dusty, but I cleaned it.

I also took off the old thermal grease and put on a fresh coating.

Oddly enough I could not access the rod inside the fan, as the hole that was meant to be there was covered in a (solid) piece of plastic.

The grease at least has dropped my idle temps 5C to 45C (no OCing), so I guess it wasn't a total bust.

Are familiar with proper thermal grease application (ie usually a rice-grain sized glob is enough)?

One of the biggest mistakes I see is heat sinks glued to CPU's with excessive amounts of thermal grease.

Ruckus on