As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying Prescription Glasses online

CalousCalous Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Has anyone ever purchased glasses online? They seem really cheap but I have no idea how it works. Usually when I buy glasses you put a pair on and they align it based on how you wear your frames.

Has anyone done this before? any down side? I like the idea of getting a local prescription and then being able to buy ten different frames online for a hundred dollars. Any suggested sites to do this?

...yawn
DnD 4E Player Tent V0.2
Calous on

• Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've purchased several from zennioptical. I'll use them again in the future.

Several things I highly recommend to do before buying online the first time:

- Learn which type of frames suit your face shape. There's a good number of online guides.
    (I didn't do this before my first purchase, and ended up with some good looking glasses that looked shitty on me.)

- Make sure your optometrist gives you your Pupillary Distance - some don't.
    (You can figure it out for yourself if you need to, however it's just easier if they give it to you.)

- Try on frames locally, and get their measurements once you find a nice pair.
    (I've got a wide head, and my first pair wasn't quite wide enough.)

- Even making sure you've got all of this, buy a cheap pair at first (with the correct measurements) to confirm that you've got everything right.
    (My first pair cost about ten bucks - once I learned from that one, I spent 40 bucks on all the frills for my next pair.)

Caramel Genocide on
  • CalousCalous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wow, thanks alot. I just had my prescription faxed to me and no mention of pupillary distance. Thanks for your feed back though.

Calous on
    ...yawn
    DnD 4E Player Tent V0.2
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've purchased from eyebuydirect and goggles4u multiple times, never had any trouble.

tofu on