As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest (PA)IX!! FINAL INSTRUCTIONS!! OP UPDATED!! I'M YELLING!

12345679»

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to all of you that shared maps today! Will be back for more tomorrow, and to hit the 300 mark on canvasses!

One request if you don't have any maps besides the granite tunnel of woe 1 please don't share the map just do a canvass and grab a bunch. Don't feel bad if you do not have one to share. There is a limit of 99 maps and I had to delete about 20 of those woe maps today o_O

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    WizardWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, please no more Granite Tunnels of Woe 1.

That said, I got about +150 tags. Thanks for the tags everyone!

And I apologize to everyone who couldn't get freaking maps from me. I swear, my DSi hates everyone.

Edit: Oh, right. I sat down and hammered out the remaining legacy bosses, ensuring that I've got level 1s for 'em. I am now capable of handing out every single one at level 1. (...but my Nokturnus 2 is better. It's by Angel Falls!) So...yeah. Slime baseball cap, not a Nintendo Rep, need a map, lemme know.

Guess I'll go back to handing out my NOA7 Dragonlord.

Wizard on
  • Options
    XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to everyone, I went from 0 to 160 tags today, was pretty fun watching the Inn evolve before my eyes :)

Xarthan on
  • Options
    teh0megateh0mega Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    are some people still going to do a meetup on sat/sun? didnt end up making it to the first one.

teh0mega on
  • Options
    Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks a bunch everyone! Went from 27 to 160+ tags. Got one Malroth, NoA7 Dragonlord and Silver Marsh of Bane.

Perhaps we should make some way for people to get the maps they are looking for specifically rather than asking around? I've gotten to the point where I don't talk to the people in the inn anymore unless I'm looking for someone in particular.

On that note, I'd LOVE to get one more Malroth, 2 Nokturnes and 2 Rapthorn by the end of the weekend 8D

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    teh0mega wrote: »
    are some people still going to do a meetup on sat/sun? didnt end up making it to the first one.

I'm planning on checking the lounge at 3:00 pm each day just to see if I can meet any of you in person!

Note: On Friday people were meeting in two different places: The Handheld HQ (which is the one mentioned in the OP) and the DQIX "Quester's Rest" Lounge. I think it's probably a better idea to meet in the Quester's Rest today and tomorrow. More space, easily identifiable, etc.

Covet on
  • Options
    ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm just waking up after a good nights rest. Pax made me tired. A good tired. This was the first one for my boy and I (not my first con, just my first PAX) I tagged from 15 (from the gamestop deal) to 104. I couldnt hang around Questers Rest for much more than a half hour or so, it was more a shindig for the boy than me. But I got some good named maps and missed out on some others (bummer. next time) Thanks for being a chill bunch of folks.

Zerhackerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Blackfox: I can help you with that, but I may not make the 3 PM today. (Kind of wanted to go to the Humble Indie Bundle panel...)

I can drop by at 4 if people'll still be around though.

Wizard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Really? That sounds amazing. If I don't get them at the 3.00 meet I'll totally stick around!

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't think I managed to get you those maps, Blackfox. I was doing Rhapthorne for the first half and Nokturnus 2 for the second. Arrived at the 3rd floor quester's rest at 4. No idea where the 2nd floor Quester's Rest is.

Posting via phone kills my grammar. Maybe I'll be at the right place tomorrow at 3.

Again, my hero name is Sam.

Wizard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I left early today, but can also help get you another Malroth and Nokturnus. I'll be at PAX all day tomorrow and will be at the Quester's Rest around 3 pm.

Covet on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I totally meant to stay, and then a friend called saying they needed another player for a delve >< Got the second Malroth though... Wait, Sam? I remember you from the first day, slime hat and yellow shirt, right? And ya that's the right place.

Hit 300+ today, I wish PAX were everyday so that I could have a chance at hitting the 100 accolade XD

Haven't gotten to play much multiplayer, so here's a question that came up: A has a team of 99's and B has a team of 50's. B has a map A wants. If B goes into A's world (3 99's and 1 50 should be enough for any map) loads the map and they beat it, does A get a copy of it because it was A's world or does it only count as *completed* for B? Actually, now that I look at the question typed it wouldn't make a difference because then B could just pass it, but meh.

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I totally meant to stay, and then a friend called saying they needed another player for a delve >< Got the second Malroth though... Wait, Sam? I remember you from the first day, slime hat and yellow shirt, right? And ya that's the right place.

Yup! That's me! I'll still be wearing the Slime hat tomorrow. Going to try to get some autographs from Mike and Jerry, so I may be a bit late. But as I've got nothing else to do for the rest of PAX, I'll try to get some good ol' tagging in.

And to answer your question, you can only do treasure maps owned by the host player. So A wouldn't be able to play B's map. A could go into B's game and help B beat the map, so that it could be tagged to A. But that's the only way.

(Admittedly, B could get C and D, who are ALSO 99s along with A, and then it's 3 99s and a 50.)

Wizard on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the answer though it's all kinda moot XD

I wish I could have hung with y'all more, but I was doing Pogeymanz most of today. Ended with a little more than 300 tags and have most of the important maps, (Masayuki, Kawasaki, Gem slime, floor 11 MKS floor, and plenty of copies of most Legacy bosses)at least 10 Granite Tunnel of Woe lvl 1 were collected and quickly discarded. Those last two Legacy bosses will come around eventually. If I ever back-burner this game I'll just update the DQVC before PAX again and get everything XD

tl;dr: great experience, totally glad I participated!

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, glad you had a good time!

Anyway, I ended up with 835 tags, started at a little less than 500. Got the Gem Slime and Event Orgodemir, so I've got gifts for NYC when I get back.

Covet, you're a lovely person and it was an absolute joy to hang out with you and tag. Take care of yourself and thanks for the tags!

Everyone else: Thanks for all the tags. You were all fantastic. Good to chat with, lots of fun maps and discussions. Hope to see you all again next PAX!

In summary? This PAX was totally worth it. Spread the love, DQIX players! And I will too!

Wizard on
  • Options
    mtjimmermtjimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do people want to try doing some multiplayer on Monday day? I could head downtown, or host at my place in the University District (one bus from downtown).

mtjimmer on
    3DS: 4940-5610-9523; Pokemon Safari: [Poison] Gloom, Ariados, Whirlipede
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Whew! After I had so much fun on Sunday, I wish I had made it to the right place on Friday to meet everyone! I did manage to meet most of the people I wanted to, though some of you are rather elusive! My favorite part was tagging someone and knowing they were in the vicinity, but not being able to find them! It amused me. :)
    Wizard wrote: »
    Covet, you're a lovely person and it was an absolute joy to hang out with you and tag. Take care of yourself and thanks for the tags!

You too! Thank you so much for sharing your maps and hanging out. It was so much fun!

Special thanks to HonestD for getting all of this up and running! :)

Covet on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to all of you for this it was super great. I went from 0 to 230 tags and I was being lazy about clearing them!!! I met some really nice and wonderful people as well. I got monkeyhole a couple times but never met him and wanted to since he is local to me.. sad face.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    acidfingersacidfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks everyone for all the epic maps! That was pretty fun meeting up with some of you. I ended up canvassing until I found someone with a good map, then walking up and down the handheld lounge shouting their name until I found them :P It got me some great looks, but eventually I would find them and hang out for a bit, getting some of their epic maps.

Also, it was great partying with you Covet. We totally took down Rapthorne together, talk about teamwork!

acidfingers on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Started the weekend with 0 cool maps and 0 tags. Ended with almost 90 maps and about 300 tags. Big win for me :)

I hope the maps I was sharing were found to be useful to folks, I did share a good gold farm map ;)

It was really great to meet you guys. What game do you think we'll all be playing next year? ;)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    KeversKevers Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    thanks everyone I was only able to go to the meetup on friday and after struggling all day to find my friends who I lost early in the morning I wasn't even very talkative

I did get about 100 tags for the hour or so that I was sitting in my beanbag but like I said I was busy trying to find my friends that I didn't stick around for long

I hope people enjoy the silver marsh of bane lvl 58 that I handed out and I wanted to say thanks for all of the awesome maps that you guys passed out

Kevers on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, it was great partying with you Covet. We totally took down Rapthorne together, talk about teamwork!

Ha! I didn't know you were on the forums! You and your friend were super cool to chill with. Thanks for sharing Rapthorne with me after you got it. :) ^5

Covet on
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was great meeting as many of you as I could. Now I get to go home, beat as many maps as I can, and share them with the portland group.

and Covet, don't worry. I will harass Monkeyhole for you :)

Solelron on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I forgot when I was canvassing that my Paladin had a mismatched helmet. Oh well. :P

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    acidfingersacidfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Solelron wrote: »
    Was great meeting as many of you as I could. Now I get to go home, beat as many maps as I can, and share them with the portland group.

and Covet, don't worry. I will harass Monkeyhole for you :)

Wait, is there a Portland DQIX group?! I need to get in on this if it's the case.

acidfingers on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DQ IX tagging was one of the high points of PAX for me. I ended up with nearly 300 guests over the course of the weekend. Starting on Thursday the day before PAX and continuing on up through the close of the show, I would get three tags in moments no matter where I was. I basically just stopped checking because I knew I wold have three every time I looked. I really stopped when my map list filled up.

I'm told there is a special title for getting over 1000 tags. Supposedly someone was camping out in the Nintendo booth for two whole days to get it. I cant image how fast and furious the tags must have come in standing there!

It was a bit depressing on Sunday evening though. The tags stopped quite abruptly as everyone collectively stopped canvassing at the same time.

Still it was fun and I hope we can do it again at PAX east!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It was one of the guys working for Nintendo who nabbed the 1000 guests title, if I recall correctly.

But yes, good times.

Wizard on
  • Options
    ndotondoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stupid wrote: »
    It was a bit depressing on Sunday evening though. The tags stopped quite abruptly as everyone collectively stopped canvassing at the same time.
    I know what you mean. I hung around the convention center for a while into Sunday evening while canvassing. After doing the meetup at 3pm on Sunday (the only day I was able to stick around for any serious amount of time, sadly!) my friend JUST got to the point where she'd unlocked multiiplayer. (I was finally able to convince her to give the game a try the Thursday right before PAX, so she'd JUST started.) We wandered around for a while trying to get her 30 tags so she'd at least have the fountain and stuff, and it definitely did take longer that evening than it had all weekend, but luckily we still got it done.

After the con, I took her to see the Scott Pilgrim movie (I'd seen it before, she hadn't) and actually ended up tagging a few other people in the audience. :mrgreen:

ndoto on
    3DS: 4038-6001-4289
  • Options
    makostrifemakostrife Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I kind of wonder if there's a Vancouver BC DQ9 group. I made it to 106 guests and I got a metric ton of maps.

I also wonder if anyone tagged me (Mako) in this thread. I met a lot of awesome people and gave my Facebook info out to fellow PAX goers in my DQ9 greeting.

makostrife on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    YES! I'm glad you asked, because there is totally a Vancouver meetup group! Hit the link in my sig, we're always welcoming new members!

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    GrooGroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I bought DQ right before PAX and didn't really start playing until after it was all over. 79 hours of game play later I'm full swing into my DQ enjoyment/addiction and bummed that I missed the opportunity to tag at PAX!! :oops:

Groo on
This discussion has been closed.