As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Podcast/audiobook on music composition and theory

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's what I'm looking for. I don't know if anything like this exists.

Are there any audiobooks or podcasts that are good for learning music composition and theory? I'm imagining something like a narrator saying, "This is a perfect fifth" and then a perfect fifth plays, or "this is 7/6 time" and then a 7/6 rhythm plays. Those are simple examples but I think my point is coming across.

I have a longish commute (45m each way) and I might as well use that time for something educational that I'm trying to learn anyway.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some of what you're looking for would just be ear training, so try look for an audio CD or something of that sort. (check here).

Other than that, I would bet that all you'll find on the matter would be real book, with companion CDs, which aren't really great to listen to stand-alone.

Crazy idea: try seeing if there are any college music theory lectures you can find audio recordings of, that may be your best bet.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    proXimity wrote: »
    Crazy idea: try seeing if there are any college music theory lectures you can find audio recordings of, that may be your best bet.

This is a great idea. I used to love iTunes U. I bet I could find something.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.