As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of the Five Rings - [Phalla] in the Emerald Empire - Mantis Win!

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    We're starting? About time...

I'll have to bust out some pertinent background info as needed. I love this setting because it's so damned awesome.

Just remember to pitch a few pebbles at the Three Faces before you step out the door.

As far as the dead body, samurai-caste people really don't want to touch dead things- after all, that's why they have eta (non-people) servants. Eta are the lowest-ranking civilian in the Emerald Empire, therefore there's no risk in them touching dead things (because they can't be reborn into a lower social rank).

I guess we can do useful backstory while we wait...

The Kitsuki are strange in the Empire- they believe in little things like evidence and autopsies- and they will actually touch dead people if there's a reason for it. They're pretty much thought of as bizarre and/or insane.

Most Samurai, if they walk into a room and a see some guy with a bloody sword standing over a body with sword wounds in it, and the guy with a sword said "It wasn't me. It was magical fairies from space!" will accept the guy's word and move on. Assuming the guy is a Samurai, of course. Peasants aren't allowed swords, and are treated with the same respect as pets, if that.

El Skid on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't need a role,

The Anonymous

Dunadan019 on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Role PMs are overrated anyway

Phyphor on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !Ringo is probably mafia this game.

Lucedes on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    El Skid wrote: »
    Peasants aren't allowed swords, and are treated with the same respect as pets, if that.

Unless you're a member of the Monkey, Scorpion, Sparrow, or Unicorn, in which case you treat your subjects kindly and listen to their concerns.

Because being nice and making people like you is much easier than having to burn entire villages.

Edith Upwards on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !Toxic Toys

If you didn't see that coming, you're just not paying enough attention...

lonelyahava on
    edited July 2010
    More backstory:

The Crab are tough fighters, and defenders of the empire against the shadowlands horde beyond the wall. They're typically more direct and less clever with their words.

The Dragon are weird. Kitsune above are Dragons. They deal alot with secrets- mystical secrets, riddles, scholarship- they're about thinking, and making you think.

The Lion are fierce. They have the biggest armies, and generally set the most store by honour. The lion don't get along well with the Crane.

The Crane are courtiers. They are smooth talking and have the ear of the Emperor (most wives of the Emperor are Crane Courtiers). They have some of the best duelists in the land. So though they can't match the armies of the Lion, they can goad their generals into duels and kill them that way. And then goad the second in command into a duel... and repeat.

The Scorpion are devious. They wear masks, and have an....interesting definition of honour. Seems to be something along the lines of "the only honour is serving my clan- feel free to lie outrageously to- and/or stab a sword into the back of- everyone else".

The Phoenix have the most powerful magic- they guard their magical secrets closely.

The Unicorn are outsiders- they took their (awesome) horses and left Rokugan for a while, and came back with weird outsider notions and stuff.

The Imperial family is small, and very powerful. They are treated with respect, because they are related to the Emperor, and quite possibly on the line of succession. It sucks to insult someone and have them become someone who can ask you to commit suicide the next week, and you'd have to do it.

The Mantis clan appear to be a major family at this point- They're made up of a bunch of minor clans (wasp archers, mantis merchants etc), and are the new kids on the block.

And there are lots of minor clans. Sparrow, Badger, monkey etc. They all have their own thing they're known for, but none of the major clans really pays attention to them very much. EZ- see this point :P

El Skid on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, I remember wanting to make a Crane at one point.

Not that it would surprise anybody about that...

lonelyahava on
    edited July 2010

I would totally have figured you for a Scorpion, actually :P
    <3

El Skid on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since when are the Unicorn a minor clan instead of a major? They get bounced to make room for Yoritomo's ego (and the Mantis)?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    scorpion is the best clan el skid, that is like the highest compliment

unicorn was always major I believe, hell don't the damn clans all get their horses from them

also your description of the scorpion clan is somewhat incorrect. Their honour is not for themselves but for their country and clan. They will do what it takes to make sure both are safe, even if it means losing their honor.

example Bayushi Shojus assassinantion of the hantei to prevent the shadowlands from taking control of the emerald empire.

M.D. on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just in case it comes up (and I know it will).

due to the week long delay in game start, I am now in a different state doing important things that do not allow me internet access for large swaths of the day.

so If I don't post much, its not because I'm suspicious, It's because my only means of playing is the few hours I am in my hotel room.

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Since when are the Unicorn a minor clan instead of a major? They get bounced to make room for Yoritomo's ego (and the Mantis)?

Oh hey look- I'm apparently overtired. Fixed that.

And my last character actually married a unicorn too- whoops.jpg.

El Skid on
    edited July 2010

<3

ppfffttttt

Although, That could be interesting.....

But no, Courtier is my way all the way. I'll whisper sweet things into your ears, and tell you everything you want to hear...

And then stab you in your kidneys and watch you die as your insides turn septic and your blood pools around you.

And then, I go back to dinner and entertain the other guests..

lonelyahava on
    edited July 2010

<3

ppfffttttt

But no, Courtier is my way all the way. I'll whisper sweet things into your ears, and tell you everything you want to hear...

And then stab you in your kidneys and watch you die as your insides turn septic and your blood pools around you.

every clan has courtiers, the best versed are the crane. The best at what you just said are the scorpion

M.D. on
    edited July 2010

<3

ppfffttttt

every clan has courtiers, the best versed are the crane. The best at what you just said are the scorpion

Yeah, you just described a scorpion. They have excellent courtiers and duelists, both probably second only to the Crane. Or maybe not second...depends who you ask.

El Skid on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Scorpion are the Emperor's "under hand"- while the Crane and Lion can be considered the fists of the Emperor, the Scorpion are the kick to the nuts you never see coming.

Most of the good geisha houses in Rokugan are owned by the Scorpion- mostly because drunk samurai tell lots of things to impress pretty geisha- that could actually be Scorpion courtiers and servants in disguise. They're willing to do anything to get the job done. Once a Scorpion puts thier mind to finding something out, you better believe they'll do whatever it takes- bribery, dishonor, blackmail, just about anything you can think of.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I joined this game on a whim, without any prior knowledge of the source material, and a brief desk clean up reveals an L5R adventure book, Legacy of Disaster, left over from free RPG day, that I have yet to crack open. I believe the fates are telling me something, may have to give this a go after my current savage supers game wraps up!

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Scorpion are way, way overdone. They're like the goddamn Dark Elves of L5R.

"Ooh, look at me! I'm edgy and have a bad ass mask!"

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    also best samurai in a duel was bayushi shoju, so scorpions represent yo

well this was when he was alive anyhow, before that dishonourable fool Totori Akodo stabbed him in the back and took the throne.

I prefer the books as you can see, I played the card game for a bit though.

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    hmm

Perhaps a scorpion is more my style then.

yes, I will stab you in your kidneys last, Skid.

lonelyahava on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd certainly be partial to Crane.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'd certainly be partial to Crane.

You seem fluffy enough for that, cj.

<3

lonelyahava on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fluffy? O_o

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    well you see crane clane are a bunch of pansy delicate flowers

ok

as you probably can all tell i'm a huge scorpion clan fan and as such I dislike the crane and lion and well a lot of clans.

gonna change my avatar to reflect, it's just sad that momo wasn't the one wearing the mask and Appa was kinda

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    Fluffy? O_o

There is no bunny clan.

Besides, have you ever seen a crane when it gets riled up and/or performing the mating dance?

They get kinda fluffy looking....

lonelyahava on
    edited July 2010
    well playing scorpion clan and reading about scorpion clan are way different.

a lot fo the scorpion clan tactics are kinda hard to win with in the card game where so many clans are straight forward attack.

kinda why the books aren't so much scorpion clan oriented since they go by who wins the tournaments are whatever in the card games

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    my friend had dragon clan and he always stomped my scorpion clan.

I was fairly new to the card game so I was probably doing so many things wrong but a lot of my cards depended on dishonoring his samurai and causing him to lose favor.

M.D. on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What clan is the most Fabulous?

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fluffy? O_o

There is no bunny clan.

The Hare would disagree.

By leaping up and kicking you in the face.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited July 2010
    What clan is the most Fabulous?

Crane:Neurotic ultra-androgynous culture police, most of whom eventually snap due to all the pressure on them to constantly be the best at everything.

Edith Upwards on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man it seems everybody is loving these Cranes and Scorpions. What about the Crabs people? They sound pretty badass!

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    edited July 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    well playing scorpion clan and reading about scorpion clan are way different.

a lot fo the scorpion clan tactics are kinda hard to win with in the card game where so many clans are straight forward attack.

kinda why the books aren't so much scorpion clan oriented since they go by who wins the tournaments are whatever in the card games
    Ah, my exposure to the game is pretty limited. Just going by the RPG and stuff people say on the boards, which just reminds me of drow ten years ago.

I wanted to play the rpg but never did.

Also i've found i'm one of few scorpion clan supporters on this here board

t Fabulous: the crab re essential to rokugan as they protect everyone from the shadowlands. If anything they have the toughest and bravest bunch of folks since they have to face demons everyday.

M.D. on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vote close is still at 6pm PST?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shushnik for nearly winning as a serial killer in my mini. I admire the accomplishment, but that's scary.

Also: YAY IT'S STARTED!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited July 2010
    Pheonix Clan:"Forbidden knowledge? Pah. Everyone else is just too stupid to do it right! OH DEAR THE PAIN KILL ME KILL MEEEEEE."

Scorpion Clan:Clan of exposed cleavage and assassins. Their most notable characters are an exhibitionist, NINJA DAIMYO, and NINJA WHO IS TOTALLY NOT IN THRALL TO EVIL POWERS.

Unicorn Clan:Freedom loving cavalry. They eat red meat, wear leather(DEAD FLESH! UNCLEAN!) against their bare skin, and don't afraid of anything. A bunch of them rode off into the Shadowlands, hoping to kill everything there and win the love and admiration of the entire Empire. That ended badly.

Edith Upwards on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i feel that in the long slow signup process, some key clarifications that are usually asked were missed.

for example:

Are there thralls/millers?

Are there conversions?

What happens in the event of a tied vote?

What is the order of actions?

Who shot John F. Kennedy?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

and so on.

psolms on
  • Red Shirt 101Red Shirt 101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psolms wrote: »
    well i think we all know who needs to die first to prove the severity of the situation.

some red shirt.

Hey now, you don't want to kill off the red shirt immediately. You need him until things are getting really bad, that way he can take the shot meant for an important character. Sacrificing himself, so that they may live.

Anyways, on to my testimony. By the casting of fortunes and praying to the kami (RNG) my testimony is that Frostmist is a practitioner of Maho.

Red Shirt 101 on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has this game really started?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited July 2010
    ninja daimyo? Who is that

M.D. on