As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me about old-ass Playstation 1 games!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't add too much about Blood Omen. I have two copies, one disc and one on PSN to play on my PSP. I've never made it more than an hour or two into it. I want to play it because I've played all the other Legacy of Kain games, but I just can't get into it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    I can't add too much about Blood Omen. I have two copies, one disc and one on PSN to play on my PSP. I've never made it more than an hour or two into it. I want to play it because I've played all the other Legacy of Kain games, but I just can't get into it.

Soul Reaver was my first LoK game, I made myself play Blood Omen. The gameplay is meh but the story, you gotta love the story.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    In no particular order (all are excellent):

Xenogears
    Legend of Legaia
    Parasite Eve (1, 2 was ok)
    Thousand Arms
    Lunar 1 and 2
    Theme Hospital
    Brace Fencer Musashi
    Bushido Blade
    Sheep (awesome puzzle game)
    Tomba
    Eternal Eyes (Tactics + poke/digimon monsters)
    Blazing Dragons (whoever mentioned it earlier, have my babies)
    Jade Cocoon
    Blood Omen: LoK
    Soul Reaver
    Fear Effect

Man...I played a lot of RPGs in those days.

Its not that you played a lot of RPGs its that that was the AGE of the RPG. The more discs it had the more amazing we all thought it was.

But seriously, PS1 was about the RPGs.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i missed the entire ps1 rpg boom. its a shame, because most of them dont hold up at all these days, in my experience. i loved the NES/SNES classics when they were current, and then pretty much lost interest in the genre until i had a ps2 years later and picked things back up with FFX.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    legend10.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSS

This game is so goddamn good and like no one has played it.

It's simply amazing. So much pioneered content. Context-sensitive combat, for instance.

EDIT: This is one of the first games I Goozex'd when I was building my RPG Library among Final Fantasies, etc.

I bought it when it came out on a whim. I figured it was going to be some lame Final Fantasy rip-off. I was so pleasantly surprised. The combat was flippin sweet, and I remember loving the cut-scenes. Now I'm flooded with good feelings.

DOOOOUBLE SLASH!!

That game was so amazing at the time. The context combat really kicked ass and made it feel so different from the other rpg's.

I tried playing it 6 months ago, but ouch, it didn't age that well.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Legend of Dragoon. What the hell is wrong with you people? Stop suggesting terrible games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Legend of Dragoon. What the hell is wrong with you people? Stop suggesting terrible games.

This is something you would say.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is something that anyone with taste would say.

I love me some PSX RPGs but folks, please play the non terrible ones.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've not gone through this thread nor have I read a single post but I know for a fact that the following will have been mentioned because they're the best thing ever (on PS1);

1. Bushido Blade
    2. Tenchu 1&2 - 2 is better thanks to the map editor and awesome water stealth kills.
    3. Soul Reaver
    4. Blood Omen
    5. Driver
    6. Destruction Derby (it was alright)

Big Classy on
  • Options
    myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I second any and all votes for Parasite Eve (might need a little luck finding a copy). The PSP sequel comes out soon too.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Any of the PS1 Spyros, if you like collectathons. 3 is probably the best, but 2 is pretty good as well. The first game is less polished and has some design mechanics that are fairly obnoxious, but it has its own sort of charm.

You could say this same sentence but replace Spyro with Crash Bandicoot.

donhonk on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arc the Lad 2. Fun strategy RPG with neat characters where things happen. I think the camera direction and sound design in combat is awesome.

Lunar 2. Maybe I like it more than 1 because I played it first, but for a long time, this was one of my top 5 favorite games.

Megaman Legends. Better than other, non-Legends Megaman games.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Orestus wrote: »
    I played through this a long time ago and remember enjoying it when I was hankering for more FFT style games. I still have it on my shelf and have been meaning to give it a try again, but am too backed up w/ current gen stuff.

Saiyuki_Journey_West_cover.jpg

Its a tactical RPG, based on an Eastern (Chinese?) legend.

Nobody else backed you up, but I will. Great game, game take on the story, fun characters, it had everything. I still long to have my own copy, only got to borrow it for a short time.

I'm glad everyone is highlighting Legend of Dragoon, I always feel like I'm the only person that liked that game. I still remember stopping in the middle and calling a friend when Kongol the giant randomly reappeared and joined the party. PURSUIT!

Also, I'm the only person I've ever seen successfully pull off Gust of Wind Dance. Friend booted it up after I hadn't played it for a year or so, and I still got it right on my first try.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Just dropping in to say R-Type Delta

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    solsovly wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    So many RPGs, how I miss you in the current generation.

The OP was asking for games that are still playable though, so you can scratch 95% of them off the list.
    And yet those 5% seem to be the majority of recommendations :P
    Really that comment was just a complaint that I want more RPG options on the current gen systems.

Anyone that recommends a PS1 rpg should be forced to play it to completion in the last 6 months before being able to recommend it again. Then we can just determine that the person has terrible ideas on what is fun and isn't clouded by nostalgia.

There are several PSOne RPGs that I can still play today. Some I don't try anymore though, you're right.

Games like Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX all made fantastic use of the PSOne's limited tech, and I think they still look good today. Gameplay is still good too, although a little slow (especially in FFIX's case). Parasite Eve hasn't aged well as far as graphics go, but I'd still recommend it because of the unique story and concept. Breath of Fire III I still recommend, even if being reminded of a certain desert deadens my enthusiasm to replay it.

Certainly there are those which I don't think have aged well (Grandia) but quite a few are still perfectly playable by my standards and many (in my opinion) outshine the majority of PS2 JRPG titles.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There was this one RPG I played a long time ago but the name escapes me so maybe someone else can name it. All I really remember was that you start off as some young knight and a fairy companion that doesn't really do anything come across a baby dragon, dragon is a party member/ pet which you can command it to search for items in town. Something about solomons ring... dolls can take the place of the party. It was a weird ass game but it was really fun and the story wasn't that bad!

Look at all these old games I use to play really makes me wish I didn't take RPGs for granted when I was still growing up now a days its hard to find anything on the new gens.

Ok found it Guardian's Crusade!

Luthon on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seconding Elemental Gearbolt. It's like nothing else.

Alfa System developed it; the guys who also did the Castle Shikigami series.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is something that anyone with taste would say.

I love me some PSX RPGs but folks, please play the non terrible ones.

I hate agreeing with XoB on anything, but Legend of Dragoon was pretty terrible. It was developed and marketed by Sony wholly as a cash-in on FFVII making RPGs the hot item on the PSX, and is as thoroughly below-average as it gets. I think it had decent music, though. It's hard to remember because I'm still kind of annoyed that the $6 I spent to rent it could've gone to Tactics Ogre instead, which was subsequently stolen from the Mooovies store it was at and thus robbing me of my chance to play it without shelling out on Ebay.

There are way too many JRPGs on the PSX to try before you scrape the lower half of the barrel for crap like LoD.
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Breath of Fire III I still recommend, even if being reminded of a certain desert deadens my enthusiasm to replay it.

You have no idea how many hours I wasted in that fucking desert until I realized that the person in the camp gives you the wrong directions.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dragoon has a great battle system that, sadly, hasn't shown up again to this day. Gladius had something similar, but it wound up being pretty horrible.

The characters (besides Rose) were all pretty awesome, and there was even an early character death I don't think anybody saw coming. I played through it twice, once originally and then a year or two ago, and I honestly don't remember much bad about it. Except maybe finding Stardust (still plausible without a guide, unlike most FFs) and not having any real healing magic.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Best thing about BoFIII:

The ED

Or Momo.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing that kind of bums me out about BoF III is that the music is so hit-or-miss throughout the whole game. It has its moments, but ugh. A lot of it is just kind of embarassing to listen to a decade+ later.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have very fond memories of playing LoD with my cousin growing up. I really liked the game, but was unable to finish it thanks to my young brother scratching the last disc. I do have two copies of it now though, and have been meaning to replay it one of these days.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Threads_Of_Fate_ntsc-front.jpg
    And here I thought I was the only person who had played that game.
    Crash Team Racing: Crazy people like this more than Mario Kart. It's not better, but its still really good.
    It is too better than Mario Kart!
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    tomba 1 and 2
    Finally, someone mentions these. The fact that these weren't on page 1 sickens and appalls me.

So, yeah, I second those games. And Brave Fencer Musashi, but I had no witty* replies for any posts mentioning the game.

* Previous replies may not be witty.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Final Fantasy 8. Probably some of the best music in the series, I liked the story for the most part, and I dug the art direction/style. Plus, getting inside the head of the main character was a nice change of pace.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Did you ever try Legend of Mana? Because it gets a lot of undeserved hatred by people that loved Secret of Mana for some reason I'll never understand. It still looks pretty good and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Legend of Mana may well be the best game in the history of ever. Three epic main story arcs and a lot smaller ones, in the best combination of sandbox and RPG principles. A huge cast of characters, lots of development for many of them, an original and beautiful watercolor world... why haven't they actually done anything like it again? The recent releases in the series have been awful, but this one was so, so good.

So good.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The OP was asking for games that are still playable though, so you can scratch 95% of them off the list.
    Really that comment was just a complaint that I want more RPG options on the current gen systems.

Anyone that recommends a PS1 rpg should be forced to play it to completion in the last 6 months before being able to recommend it again. Then we can just determine that the person has terrible ideas on what is fun and isn't clouded by nostalgia.

There are several PSOne RPGs that I can still play today. Some I don't try anymore though, you're right.

Games like Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX all made fantastic use of the PSOne's limited tech, and I think they still look good today. Gameplay is still good too, although a little slow (especially in FFIX's case). Parasite Eve hasn't aged well as far as graphics go, but I'd still recommend it because of the unique story and concept. Breath of Fire III I still recommend, even if being reminded of a certain desert deadens my enthusiasm to replay it.

Certainly there are those which I don't think have aged well (Grandia) but quite a few are still perfectly playable by my standards and many (in my opinion) outshine the majority of PS2 JRPG titles.

I'm willing to give a couple games passes because they aged well like Vagrant Story and Suikoden. Almost all the "Tactics" are still good. Final Fantasy is still... final fantasy.

But when I see stuff like Xenogears, Jade Cocoon, Legend of Dragoon, Tales and I think I remember even seeing Wild Arms (not sure if that was a recommendation or comparison), that's pure hatred towards the OP. We should direct him to the cream of the crop , not the most mediocre 40+ hour random encounter boring trite of that generation. There's good JRPGs. Let's point the man to the best (lolopinions).

edit: or atleast unknown unique games

solsovly on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't like Legend of Mana.

Legend of Dragoon was pretty awful. I still pretty much agree with this review:
    http://www.psy-q.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/psx/lod/lod.html

For extra fun, a page of flames that the site got for putting up that review:
    http://www.psy-q.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/features/f010625b.html

I have a copy of Threads of Fate sitting on my shelf, but I can't remember anything about it besides that the art design on the cover stands out an awful, horrible Sign Of Things To Come.

edit: The reason Suikoden (and Suikoden II, but good luck finding it!) stand up well is because Free Will and Let Go combine to form the best thing ever in the history of turn-based combat

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Almost all PS1 RPGs are plagued with terribly high random battle encounter syndrome.

I hope all current-gen RPGs eventually do away with random battles.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm willing to give a couple games passes because they aged well like Vagrant Story and Suikoden. Almost all the "Tactics" are still good. Final Fantasy is still... final fantasy.

But when I see stuff like Xenogears, Jade Cocoon, Legend of Dragoon, Tales and I think I remember even seeing Wild Arms (not sure if that was a recommendation or comparison), that's pure hatred towards the OP. We should direct him to the cream of the crop , not the most mediocre 40+ hour random encounter boring trite of that generation. There's good JRPGs. Let's point the man to the best (lolopinions).

edit: or atleast unknown unique games

Xenogears... eh. I have my own little problems with Xenogears. I can't really say whether its still playable or not since I have no desire to go back and play it. The game has one pretty good disc and then... disc two. I never finished the game because the second disc sapped my will to do so.

Jade Cacoon hasn't aged well. No argument.

Legend of Dragoon (like Jade Cacoon) was never all that great to begin with, and then didn't age well. I will echo the statement about the more interactive battle system though. Too bad I think Super Mario RPG did it better.

Tales of Destiny was basically a SNES game even when it was released. Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia) has aged fairly well.

I never liked Wild Arms. Wild Arms 2 was alright, but its another one that hasn't aged well. Graphically it looks terrible now too.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Deception series is sort of unique. You set traps for people invading your... castle? House? Whatever. It gets pretty sadistic. I only ever played the 2nd one, which was allegedly toned down from the first. Have 3 laying around somewhere I think, but no console to play it on any more.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Deception series is sort of unique. You set traps for people invading your... castle? House? Whatever. It gets pretty sadistic. I only ever played the 2nd one, which was allegedly toned down from the first. Have 3 laying around somewhere I think, but no console to play it on any more.

The first "Tecmo's Deception" I played a surprising amount of, considering the premise, and how a younger me was more interested in getting monsters in Monster Rancher or getting the gems/coins/remotes in Gex/Spyro/etc.

The first one was pretty creepy for me, because it's a first person view of you, a dead man come to life to avenge your death, wandering around a castle you recently aquired from the masked psycho owner basically keeping people out or killing them once they got in. Unsettling in many ways, especially the deathtraps that you could set up in any room. I kinda remember luring a tresspasser into a closed off wing of the castle, and making a spike wall shoot out into him.

It's kinda tense because for the most part you are your own bait, and the only thing keeping the bandits from you are traps that (you hope) you placed in the right spots.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How could I have forgotten about Deception? Those games were awesome.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has Front Mission 3 been mentioned? Because that's another I think holds up well. Also given that there was a massive fake internet on the disc that you could browse whenever and it had two branching storylines (stemming from a seemingly simple choice made at the beginning of the game).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Dragoon has a great battle system that, sadly, hasn't shown up again to this day. Gladius had something similar, but it wound up being pretty horrible.

The characters (besides Rose) were all pretty awesome, and there was even an early character death I don't think anybody saw coming. I played through it twice, once originally and then a year or two ago, and I honestly don't remember much bad about it. Except maybe finding Stardust (still plausible without a guide, unlike most FFs) and not having any real healing magic.

Lost Odyssey and Shadow Hearts were the closest we got to Dragoon. Frankly if I want a battle system like that I usually just play Super Mario RPG and skip all the awful that I'd be doing if I was playing Dragoon.

As for OP:
    Kinda surprised no one bothered to mention Metal Gear Solid, though if you haven't played it at this point you might as well turn in your badge.

Also, Street Fighter Alpha 3. One of the most expansive home versions of any Street Fighter game. The campaign mode allowed you to beef up characters and use slots to give them extra abilities. To hell with being balanced, SFA3 was nothing but pure unadulterated fun.

Seconding Vandal Hearts series if you like tactics games at all. They were pretty good for the time, though probably more time consuming than you're looking for.

Though you mentioned it already, Valkyrie Profile cannot be stressed enough. It's a bunch of different concepts rolled together into one big package. Resource management, time management, RPG character progression, sidescrolling puzzle, platforming, the list goes on. But it manages to do all of these things well enough that you don't feel overwhelmed. If you are at all worried about the type of ending you'll get, like me, then you'll want to pick up a guide with it, though. It can also take quite some time to beat depending on difficulty level and your end game goal.

Seconding Parasite Eve, as well. Really interesting combat system, and satisfying characters/story. I hear Parasite Eve II is decent, but I never played more than a couple of hours of it when it first came out.

Edit: Deception series owns, too. I'd suggest starting with the second or third game, though, as the first one is a bit more clunky than the other two.

Skexis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I used to own Deception 1, and I wanted to like it, but it was really not polished enough to be truly fun. I never got the chance to play later entries in the series to see if they cleaned up the gameplay.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've never owned a 360 or SNES, so I don't care about either of those games. My friends rave about the Mario RPGs, but I didn't enjoy any of the DS ones I tried. The GameCube one was great, though.

It doesn't count if nobody's yelling out ridiculous attack names, though. Same reason I'd recommend Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean 2, but those are more than covered.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    51B3A5EXGKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You should play this.

By you I mean everyone, because noone the fuck else did.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've never even seen that game. Japan/PAL only?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It was called Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn in the US I think.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, do you guys wanna know my two favorite PS1 games?

Of course you do!

Fear_Effect.jpg

Fear_effect_2.jpg

I will never forgive Eidos for canceling Inferno

I hope, hope and pray, that now that Square-Enix are their overlords, they one day revive the brand

UnbreakableVow on