As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 - [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    So I think the important question here is, can I oppress Mages in Dragon Age 2?

If not, I want no part of it.
    I'm more of a "beat up every fucking Templar I can find and ridicule their faith" kind of guy.

Since I haven't mentioned this yet in this thread. First 40 seconds or so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhYO42mM0Q

I do not understand who could ever enjoy playing the game like that guy was.

Pausing all the fucking time.

I've played DA four times through now, twice on Nightmare, and never once mid-combat paused except a couple times to emergency-poultice my tank.

I don't even see the point of having a "main character" if you're going to control them all. Set up tactics on your other three and just play your main one.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying you're playing the game wrong if you do play it with the pausing and what-not. Just that I can't possibly comprehend how that is remotely enjoyable.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Um, no. The PC version is gonna have a completely different combat system. That's not a port.

Well yeah, but what I'm saying is, the 360 version of DA felt very much like a port.

And I was just wondering if it would feel the other way around this time.

But nevermind.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So I think the important question here is, can I oppress Mages in Dragon Age 2?

If not, I want no part of it.
    I'm more of a "beat up every fucking Templar I can find and ridicule their faith" kind of guy.

Since I haven't mentioned this yet in this thread. First 40 seconds or so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhYO42mM0Q

I do not understand who could ever enjoy playing the game like that guy was.

Pausing all the fucking time.

I've played DA four times through now, twice on Nightmare, and never once mid-combat paused except a couple times to emergency-poultice my tank.

I don't even see the point of having a "main character" if you're going to control them all. Set up tactics on your other three and just play your main one.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying you're playing the game wrong if you do play it with the pausing and what-not. Just that I can't possibly comprehend how that is remotely enjoyable.

Hell, I still enjoy fully turn-based games.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So do I.

But most turn based games are intended to be slow and tactical. There is not really any point at which there's fast paced action happening on screen.

Playing Dragon Age with pausing is like watching an action movie while pausing it every 2 seconds to study every shot. Yeah, you might pick up more actual information but you miss the feeling of excitement from the action happening all around you.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoy pausing the action and issuing commands.

And then unpausing and watching your finely tuned plan unfold successfuly.

Sometimes I am not always in the mood for that though, and Dragon Age combat and impatientness don't mix very well. It usually leads to death.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoy pausing the action and issuing commands.

And then unpausing and watching your finely tuned plan unfold successfuly.

Sometimes I am not always in the mood for that though, and Dragon Age combat and impatientness don't mix very well. It usually leads to death.

Only if you don't properly set up tactics.

As I said, I've played through Dragon Age several times, on Nightmare, and not needed to pause at all. As long as you don't try a silly party make up (eg, no tank, or no healer), and set up your tactics appropriately, you'll do fine.

And while I do enjoy pausing, issuing commands and watching it unfold, I don't want to have to pause every few seconds to re-issue new ones. Having to constantly pause it to adjust things jars me in and out of the game and is very disorienting. I much prefer reacting to things on the fly.

I also don't want to do it for every single little group of enemies that I encounter, but if you don't set up tactics properly, you need to. And if you're going to take the time to set up the tactics properly, why bother pausing anyway?

Thats not to say that I don't control the other characters, but I just don't see the need to pause it to do so, and can't comprehend how anyone could prefer it.

I nearly didn't play KOTOR at all until I found out that you could disable the automatic pausing thats enabled by default.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You play on PC or 360?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PC.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do agree that it really could have used some sort of move queueing

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh you dont have to pause all the time on the consoles tough, just set up the tactics and then you use hotkeys on you character of choice. Its how i have played through DA on PS3. The characters even join your party with fairly sensible tactics setups

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I do agree that it really could have used some sort of move queueing

If they add only one feature to DA2, let this be it.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I played DA on both PC and 360 (The PC version is better, but the 360 version allowed me to play it on my HD TV whilst relaxing on my sofa, which was a -very- nice way to experience Dragon Age) and I was really suprised that they crammed absoloutely every aspect of the PC version into the 360 version. In terms of combat and party set up the 360 version is spared nothing.

I can't remember which reviewer it was, but they claimed it was missing the tactics options, which I was disappointed to hear. But even the tactical options were crammed in there.

I'm not really sure what my point here is other than "Woo Dragon Age!"

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did we already talk about the characters revealed in the gamestar.de article (I haven't kept up with this thread sorry)?

(big-ish spoiler under here)
    Flemeth! Possibly in the party! That excites me!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no problems with the DA combat system, I played on the 360 so I didn't really pause and such. My only complaint is the targeting system is wonky. Try to Winter's grasp the hurlock emissary and the game randomly switches to some lowly genlock.

Anyways, I'm psyched for the new combat system. Plus now spells have "Finisher" animations like the Warriors and Rogues. Bodies exploding from crushing prison for example.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I solved the problem of targeting by letting tactics take care of it.

Its amazing how fast enemy mages go down when you have Wynne or Morrigan as your healer cast Winter's Grasp on nearest visible class: mage, then have 2 tactics for leliana as an archer, 1- cast arrow of slaying on nearest mage and then cast critical shot on nearest mage. either one mage gets completely exploded or two do.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anything, I hope they fix some story-related stuff that bugged me. If they give me a pansy ass faction fight like the elves vs werewolves where it boiled down to two people that didn't want to admit fault, I want the option to kill both and take neither with me to the end.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i actually only just realised on my last playthrough that the [Persuade] check to convince the werewolves to kill all the Dalish with you is actually a winnable check.

on that note it annoys me how many [Persuade] checks are unwinnable in DA. I can't think of many off the top of my head, but one that annoyed me was when you are female, in a relationship with Alistair and you try to convince him to have the threesome with Isabel. Its not possible to convince him despite the check being there.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's possible if you've met several prerequisites, actually. I think you have to already have slept with him before and you need to have "hardened" his personality.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    It's possible if you've met several prerequisites, actually. I think you have to already have slept with him before and you need to have "hardened" his personality.

Among other things.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ho ho!

Captain K on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played DA on both PC and 360 (The PC version is better, but the 360 version allowed me to play it on my HD TV whilst relaxing on my sofa, which was a -very- nice way to experience Dragon Age) and I was really suprised that they crammed absoloutely every aspect of the PC version into the 360 version. In terms of combat and party set up the 360 version is spared nothing.

I can't remember which reviewer it was, but they claimed it was missing the tactics options, which I was disappointed to hear. But even the tactical options were crammed in there.

The console version is missing the tactical view. This makes it look top down and you can easily direct everyone around. It makes it alot easier to move people in specific places and stuff.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Avicus wrote: »

The console version is missing the tactical view. This makes it look top down and you can easily direct everyone around. It makes it alot easier to move people in specific places and stuff.

And it sounds like they are taking away the rest of combat and making it legend of zelda.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »

And it sounds like they are taking away the rest of combat and making it legend of zelda.

Where did you hear this? I mean I can't say I've heard of anything about it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think that woman behind Hawke in that one picture is pretty "hawt".

I hope she is a party member so that she might be sexed.

That's Hawkes sister.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think that woman behind Hawke in that one picture is pretty "hawt".

I hope she is a party member so that she might be sexed.

That's Hawkes sister.

I see. That will make things very awkward.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hawk does not care, Hawk knows its always business time.
    My hawk does, if you know what i mean :winky:

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    Hawk does not care, Hawk knows its always business time.
    My hawk does, if you know what i mean :winky:

That's why they're called business socks.

Also, I've decided that my first playthrough of DA2 will focus on the tale of Ethan Hawke. Hopefully we get another Mabari so I can name it Uma.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »

Where did you hear this? I mean I can't say I've heard of anything about it.

I was... overzealous in my comparison. This was from the article posted earlier:
    we played the xbox 360 version and we can confirm it is much faster, more responsive, and more fluid than before. As soon as you press a button, something happens. As a warrior, Hawke threw down special strikes and used a new dash move to slash through darkspawn with ease. It isn't on the Dynasty Warriors side of the spectrum, but with obvious improvements to the targeting system and animations, playing Dragon Age II with a controller finally feels natural

The "playing with a controller feels natural" and "faster, more responsive and fluid" ... I didn't play or like Dragon Age because the combat was "fluid". 1st and 3rd person shooters need fluid combat.

I guess I should just STFU and wait for the damn game to come out.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm naming my Hawke:
    Ebon_Hawk_layout.png

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm naming my Hawke:
    Ebon_Hawk_layout.png

Genius.

Anyone who doesn't name the main character "Ebon" is doing it wrong.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ebon!

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I disagree.
    txDE5upu93ObbM0.jpg

jefe414 on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The party will climb aboard his back and fly around Thedas whilst he makes WOOSH noises with his mouth.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So what are the odds of some coverage at comic or gen con? Wasn't gen con where they had the first demos for DAO?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sf-thawk2.gif

Now that is a manly man!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what are the odds of some coverage at comic or gen con? Wasn't gen con where they had the first demos for DAO?

GenCon is where I first got to see DA:O. I'm hoping Bioware will have something there this year as well (whether for DA2 or TOR). The Bioware guys at Gen Con that year were great. I spent probably 45 minutes just chatting with David Gaider, and he was completely cool with chatting with me about things.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, something TOR related is supposed to be happening next week at comic con

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well. They already had a demo for GI, so I would expect they'd be able to clean it up in time for something like that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well. They already had a demo for GI, so I would expect they'd be able to clean it up in time for something like that.

I don't know, there's a difference between a studio tour given to a couple journalists for an exclusive, and a hands off press demo for lots of people, much less a demo open to the public.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The BSN forums have a thread listing what's known so far:
    Until there's an official FAQ, I thought it might be useful to post what few cold, hard facts we have in one place, with links.

DA2 home page: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/
    Official DA Twitter: http://twitter.com/dragonage

From the press release:

* The main character's surname is Hawke

* Hawke survived "the Blight"

* Hawke is known as "the Champion of Kirkwall"

* Hawke is a "refugee"

* DA2's story will span 10 years

* DA2 will be released in March 2011 for PC, XBox 360, and PS3

From the forums:

* Morrigan is NOT Hawke's mother; Hawke is NOT the "god baby" [Victor Wachter]

* Hawke can be male or female [David Gaider], [Mary Kirby], [Chris Priestly]

* Hawke is human [Chris Priestly]

* DA2 is a single-player game [Chris Priestly]

* "More than half" of the Dragon Age left by the time Awakening begins [David Gaider]

* "Hawke can, indeed, be a mage." [Mary Kirby]

* There will be more DLC and patches for DAO before DA2 is released [Chris Priestly], [Chris Priestly]

* No word so far on different editions [Chris Priestly]

* There is no "morality meter" in the style of Mass Effect's Paragon/Renegade meter [David Gaider]

* The game does NOT take place "10 years after Origins." It SPANS a 10-year period. When it starts hasn't been revealed. [David Gaider]

* There will be companions/followers [David Gaider]

* You won't be able to romance your sister Bethany. [David Gaider] Just in case you were...you know...wondering.

* "No exclusive organization. No saving the world. No ancient evil." [David Gaider]

* All Hawke voiceover artists have already been cast. [David Gaider]

From GameInformer (take with a grain of salt, some links not available - Summary Here):

* Hawke will be voiced [Five Facts]

* Hawke lived in Lothering during the events of DA:O, fled north to Kirkwall [Five Facts]

* Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches [Five Facts]

* "Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches" [Five Facts]

* Game will use imported save from Dragon Age: Origins [Print magazine]

* Flemeth will appear [Print magazine]

* Intra-party conflict may be more significant (?) [Print magazine]

* Mass Effect-style dialogue wheel with paraphrased lines and symbols denoting tone [Print magazine]

* “Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the present.” [Print magazine]

* "At the current point in the timeline, Hawke is already the Champion of Kirkwall" “Narrators with unique insights into the events in question tell the tale of his past adventures.” [Print magazine]

* Events from Dragon Age: Origins may be seen from a different viewpoint [Print magazine]

* PC combat largely unchanged, console combat changed to better suit the controller [Print magazine]

From German gaming site GameStar [English translation]:

* Bethany is a companion who is a mage and also Hawke's sister.

* Cassandra is an "Inquisitor" with an "interest" in Hawke. (Whatever that means)

* Varric is a Dwarf who was with Hawke on his travels and is a narrator

From elsewhere:

* Kirkwall is located on the southern edge of the Vimmark Mountains, north of Ferelden [this map]
    I'm glad to see that there wont be a morality meter - that makes me less concerned about the simplification of the dialogue system.

I suggest you don't go there yourself looking for info, I barely made it out alive. Rabid talifans everywhere.

Jimmy Marku on