As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guild Wars (Nightfall) question

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
I haven't played Guild Wars in 3 years (according to the birthday presents on my main), but some friends have recently become interested. I'd like to play with them, but I'd prefer to play a Dervish. Is there any way to get a Dervish to Ascalon City at relatively low level?

Delzhand on

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I haven't played Guild Wars in 3 years (according to the birthday presents on my main), but some friends have recently become interested. I'd like to play with them, but I'd prefer to play a Dervish. Is there any way to get a Dervish to Ascalon City at relatively low level?

I'm fairly sure if you only did the minimum amount of storyline quests, you can get on the boat to Lions Arch at a middling level, and then get a runner to take you to Ascalon. Although in all honesty, get them to buy Nightfall as it's easily 10x better than the original.

Rook on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GW Wiki says that this won't be a trivial task, as you need to complete a quest to get access to Lion's Arch, and in order to meet the requirements for said quest, you need a certain Sunspear faction rank, or level 17, whichever comes first.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Time_is_Nigh

sidhaethe on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could also just meet up with them in lion's arch, though you'd be playing by yourself until you get to that point. But there's plenty of content after la to keep you busy.

Or you know, just everyone roll in nightfall. We also have a guild wars thread if you have any more questions: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=64712

Geod on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't played Guild Wars, other than the E3 demo/test wayyy back in like 2004.

I bought Guild Wars Trilogy when it was cheap on Steam, so I have access to Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall.

I'd like to do some quests and kill some mobs. Should I just start with Nightfall? Does that offer the best experience?

Renzo on
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    I haven't played Guild Wars, other than the E3 demo/test wayyy back in like 2004.

I bought Guild Wars Trilogy when it was cheap on Steam, so I have access to Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall.

I'd like to do some quests and kill some mobs. Should I just start with Nightfall? Does that offer the best experience?

Yes, I'd say start with nightfall first. Its where you can get npc heroes that you can put in your party. Its also the last campaign they released so its much more streamlined than the previous two. Only do factions if you want to make an assassin or ritualist. Honestly, all the campaigns are fun to me though, and if you enjoy nightfall, take your char to the others. Prophecies is also great, but it moves at a much slower rate than the other two - but it is the first, if you're looking to start from the beginning.

We also have a PA guild(though it's in a rebuilding phase), so feel free to join it if you're looking for some bodies.

Geod on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, I'll start there. Does it matter if I don't make a Paragon or Dervish?

Renzo on
    edited July 2010
    Nah, make whatever you think you'd like the best. Each profession has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Geod on
  • mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find Dervish kind of a pain at the higher levels in Nightfall. It absolutely doesn't matter what class you make in Nightfall but yes, I would start with that or Prophecies first.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.