As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do I need to buy for my new apartment?

Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then?Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, I've just been accepted for a lease on a little two room apartment in my suburb of choice. My big question is what will I need? Obviously shit like washing machines/dryers big whitegood stuffs I know. What are the things that are really going to shit me off when I realise it's 9 o'clock at night and I don't have a can opener style things?

Blake T on

• Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Take a post-it note and a pen

Place in pockets

Every time you use an item over the course of a day, write it down.

Repeat as desired.

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do you drink coffee? Coffee maker.

Do you watch TV? Extra cable and a splitter, just in case your apartment is oddly configured.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I just moved in with a roomate, and the things we noticed are (other than obvious stuff like furniture and pots/pans)

Can opener ++
    Thumbtacks (for posters)
    A George Forman Grill (cheap ones get down to around $20)
    Toilet Paper
    A Plunger
    Trashcan/bags
    Spices (pepper, salt, Spike, whatever)
    Condiments (Ketchup, Mustard, BBQ Sauce)
    Extra Blankets/Pillows (we have people over a lot)
    Powerstrips
    Lightbulbs
    Shotglasses
    Ice Cube trays
    Curtains
    Febreeze
    A Hamper(s)
    Scissors
    Butter
    A Spatula
    Muffin Tins
    Towels
    Pens/Paper

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head, I'll post more if I rmeember anything.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Controversy CowControversy Cow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That little brush thingy to clean a toilet.
    A Collender.
    Toe nail clippers.
    A Fan (if you don't have AC)
    Flashlight.
    Hammer/basic tools.
    Duct tape.
    Shower curtain/rings (possibly)

Controversy Cow on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Some bottled water just in case your water tastes like shit.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You have no idea how much you will need. Much of it will be acquired by you slowly over time but here's some suggestions. Take it as you will.
    • Corkscrew
    • Baking sheet
    • Pizza cutter
    • Can opener
    • Toilet paper
    • Toilet brush
    • Floor scrubber and possibly a bucket
    • Power strips
    • Paper towels
    • Screwdrivers of various tips and sizes
    • Possibly a hammer and small saw
    • Scissors
    • Tupperware (the "disposable" kind is actually very well made and can be dishwashered with no ill effects)
    • Aluminum Foil
    • Plastic Wrap
    • Ziploc Bags
    • Pens
    • Blank Paper
    • Dish soap
    • Dish scrubbing pads and brush
    • Shower Curtain (maybe)
    • Trash bags
    • Refrigerator magnets
    • Dishwasher tablets/soap
    • Ketchup, Mustard, and Mayonnaise
    • Salt and pepper
    • Other spices
    • Sugar
    • Flour
    • Collander
    • Slotted spoon
    • Spatula
    • Heater/Air Conditioner Filters
    • Pens and paper
    • Stamps
    • Plastic cups
    • WD-40
    • Spray cleaners
    • Ant & Roach Spray & Traps
    • Shampoo & Soap
    • Oven mitts
    • Cutting board
    • Wooden spoon
    • Pumice Stone (required for cleaning porcelain)

etc.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DrFrylock wrote:
    You have no idea how much you will need. Much of it will be acquired by you slowly over time but here's some suggestions. Take it as you will.
    This I realise but like I said in my first post it's more to cover myself when it's the middle of the night and I go, where the hell is... oh fuck. And I need to wait to the next day to buy one
    • Power strips

What is a power strip?

Blake T on
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    DrFrylock wrote:
    This I realise but like I said in my first post it's more to cover myself when it's the middle of the night and I go, where the hell is... oh fuck. And I need to wait to the next day to buy one
    • Power strips

What is a power strip?

Often called a surge protector. Usually what you have all your computer stuff plugged into. Basically a thing that splits one plug into around 6 easy to use plugs.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeeSneakWeeSneak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When i moved into my apartment i brought

PC
    Rug
    Cat including Litter box.
    One plate, one cup, one glass, one fork
    George Foreman
    Crate Of Beer

Although i went in with nothing i must stress that you should just take what you think you will need, everything you need can be bought once you are there.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Some bottled water just in case your water tastes like shit.
    I use one of these. They work great.

OP should also check the appliance situation, if he hasn't already. Check if the major appliances are provided (laundry, dishes, oven, fridge, microwave, whatever), and if they aren't whether or not there are hookups available for them.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Trying not to say the same things as othe ppl here, what comes to mind from living in a dorm for the first time:

carpet/rug (don't want to be rude to the ppl downstairs as your chair scraps the damn floor)
    soap
    paper towls
    lighter
    trash bags
    fridge?? i'm guessing your apartment will come with hit
    toolbox maybe, never know when you need a hammer

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You will never have everything you need within the first couple years of living on your own. Most things that you will need are little things like a nail clipper or a oven mitt. Things that are easily forgotten, but most importantly, easily purchased.

Move in with what you have and as you notice things you want/need, write it down and go buy it when you have the money. What some people will suggest may be things you never use (like a corkscrew). The post-it idea was a very good one, but I would recommend stretching the time frame to a week instead of a day since I use things some days while not even thinking about them other days.

Also, you may notice things about your new apartment that you don't like, like the layout of the outlets or phone jacks. Usually you don't get these to your liking until the second or even third place you live in. I don't know a single person that found the right apartment the first time so don't worry about that.

Veevee on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    INSURANCE

I know it's not really what your thinking of, but that's all the more reason to mention it. Contents Insurance specifically.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't have a ton of trouble. All we did was buy some simple easy-prep food to live off of in an emergency, and kept a running list on the table of things we needed. Just buy the stuff you know you're gonna need to get a bit of a head start, and the rest will work itself out.

Inevitably, after the basic silverware and dishes, we found some extra cutlery came in handy, as did a peeler (get the kind with the extra thingy on the side to scoop bad parts) and can opener. We were also buying surfaces - tables, computer desks - for a little while, and still aren't totally where we'd like to be in our pan collection. Condiments ended up not being an issue, because everyone bought too many anyway. For a time, all we had in our fridge was condiments.

Just keep lists, and every time you notice something you need, add it to the list.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That line about insurance? HE'S RIGHT!

IIRC, Ikea sells a huge box full of useful kitchen stuff. Buy as much kitchen stuff as you can at Ikea, Target, or Wal-Mart, because it's a huge fucking rip-off anywhere else.

supabeast on
  • Options
    sarksark Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    a bottle of that all purpose cleaner, like windex. for counter tops, and mirrors and such.

some sort of spot remover for cleaning shit off your carpet, if you have carpet.

i'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but a plunger. when i moved out, i had a roommate. the very next day, one of his friends came over, took a big shit, and they had to go to wal-mart to get a plunger. i'm glad i had my own bathroom.

sark on
    tron4.png
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fire extinguisher.
    Chain lock for the door. (and a deadbolt too, if there isn't one already)

These two things will help out with the insurance. With basic stuff, you can get 10k contents insurance for like 10 bucks a month.

crake on
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited January 2007
    INSURANCE

I know it's not really what your thinking of, but that's all the more reason to mention it. Contents Insurance specifically.

This is all kinds of important.

Often your car insurance company will be able to give you a rate break on one or both kinds of insurance if you have both through them.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DaySleeper wrote:
    INSURANCE

This is all kinds of important.

Often your car insurance company will be able to give you a rate break on one or both kinds of insurance if you have both through them.

Yes, and don't be afraid. Renters insurance is CHEAP! I think when I was renting, it was like $140-150 for a year. And I had a ton of expensive stuff.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    TSU0999TSU0999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alrighty...lets see

Someone already suggested getting a activated carbon water filter (Pur/Britta), which aren't really essential, and can become more expensive than buying bottled water. I suggest if you have a Sam's Club by you find someone that has a membership to get you in. I can't stress this part enough about shopping at a Sam's Club but WATCH THOSE PRICES. Sometimes it's cheaper, but other times you're actually paying more per unit.

Ok on to other things:

A starter kitchen set from Wal-Mart, Sam's, Target, heck sometimes a store like Menards(think Lowes/Home Depot if you aren't familiar with this store) will sell things like that for cheap

Get a dry erase board to put up notes to yourself about bills/other things

Carpet cleaner-generic/brand name really doesn't matter. You'd be surprised at what some renters will keep your deposit over.

All purpose clearners-I can't remember what we're using currently but I think it's Fantastik or something like that. Blue bottle with some bubbles on it.
    INSURANCE

This needs to be stressed again. It's fairly cheap when comparing how much coverage you have. Also if you have a car, make sure to check on multi-line discounts. We had somewhere around $100k-$200k worth of coverage for $100/yr.

TSU0999 on
    ironmansig.png
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    supabeast wrote:
    That line about insurance? HE'S RIGHT!

IIRC, Ikea sells a huge box full of useful kitchen stuff. Buy as much kitchen stuff as you can at Ikea, Target, or Wal-Mart, because it's a huge fucking rip-off anywhere else.

Ikea Kitchen Starter Set

They also have a lot of cheap silverware sets. :)

And good furniture.

It's also cheap.

I love Ikea.

Aurin on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    INSURANCE

YES.

I looked at that and went oooooooh haven't though of that.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Power strips and EXTENSION CORDS.

I just moved into my current apartment a few months ago, and there are literally TWO outlets total in the living room, TWO in the kitchen, and TWO in the bedroom.

Seeing as how I have two computers, a home entertainment system, a TV in the bedroom...I have extension cords running all over my place.

This may not apply, but it was something I never even thought of.

EDIT: I should add the obligatory, dont be a moron, and plug too many things into one outlet....blah...blah....blah

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    When I got my first place I lived like a total bachelor till I the girl I dated moved in with me. She really helped me find the stuff I need. A woman's touch can help pick out the right couch, dishes, art and so for your place.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited January 2007
    When I got my first place I lived like a total bachelor till I the girl I dated moved in with me. She really helped me find the stuff I need. A woman's touch can help pick out the right couch, dishes, art and so for your place.

This is very accurate. Talk to your mom, sisters and female friends. They are a wealth of information.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org