As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gay Audiobooks?

TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ive been looking around for a while, and something ive had a very hard time finding is many audiobooks with gay content.

By gay content, im not talking about erotica, but instead Gay characters, or people dealing with their lives who just happen to be gay and the like.

Fiction, or non fiction, i cant seem to find much outside a scant selection of novels on audible sponsored by Logo.

Amazon is no help either.

Are there really almost no gay audio books?

Please help me find what little there may be.

Talkc on

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    David Sedaris is pretty damn gay! Also funny and wonderful.

edit for a link: http://www.amazon.com/David-Sedaris-Box-Set/dp/1586214349

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    David Sedaris is a humorist and gay author, and his books aren't about being gay, just about his life and times. They're funny and he's well known for doing readings, it shouldn't be too hard to find recordings of him. He also performs on this american life a lot.

As for audiobooks, anything by Christopher Isherwood would be a good bet, especially A Single Man if you can find it.

Casual Eddy on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    David Sedaris is a humorist and gay author, and his books aren't about being gay, just about his life and times. They're funny and he's well known for doing readings, it shouldn't be too hard to find recordings of him. He also performs on this american life a lot.

As for audiobooks, anything by Christopher Isherwood would be a good bet, especially A Single Man if you can find it.

From the OP: "people dealing with their lives who just happen to be gay and the like."

"who just happen to be gay" Not ABOUT being gay. Reading comprehension!

I nailed it completely on the head with David Sedaris, thank you very much. He is gay but it is not what defines his writing.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Do you know who Stephen Fry is? He's a prominent UK intellectual, bon vivant, TV and film star, and openly gay man. He's written a couple volumes of memoirs that are funny and well-written and he has read the audiobooks of them himself (he also reads the UK audiobooks of Harry Potter; he's got a voice like butter).

David Sedaris is a gay American nonfiction author, essayist, and radio personality; his books are also on audio, read by him, and with some googling you should also be able to find his various NPR appearances.

I know there are more, but those are just off the top of my head, and should be very easy to find on Amazon or at your local public library.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Im actually a pretty big David Sedaris fan. I shouldve mentioned that in the OP.

Ill look into Stephen Fry. I had heard of him, but had no idea he was an author.

Talkc on
    edited July 2010
    Stephen Fry audiobooks would be fantastic! I found this one right away: audible link

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

From the OP: "people dealing with their lives who just happen to be gay and the like."

"who just happen to be gay" Not ABOUT being gay. Reading comprehension!

I nailed it completely on the head with David Sedaris, thank you very much. He is gay but it is not what defines his writing.

great! reading comprehension for the loss, because that's exactly what I said about david sedaris

and do a google maps search for a gay bookstore nearby if one exists. The people there will surely be a great help to you

Casual Eddy on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.amazon.com/Augusten-Burroughs/e/B001I9NA2M/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1279226987&sr=8-2-ent

Augusten Burroughs is fantastic. His book "Dry" is one of my favorites of all time. Again, being gay is pretty incidental in his books, but his identity definitely plays a part. I would highly recommend Dry and probably Running With Scissors before it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Check to see if any of Dan Savage's books are in audio/podcast form. He is a very funny gay activist/advice columnist/author sort of fella.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Do you know who Stephen Fry is? He's a prominent UK intellectual, bon vivant, TV and film star, and openly gay man. He's written a couple volumes of memoirs that are funny and well-written and he has read the audiobooks of them himself (he also reads the UK audiobooks of Harry Potter; he's got a voice like butter).

David Sedaris is a gay American nonfiction author, essayist, and radio personality; his books are also on audio, read by him, and with some googling you should also be able to find his various NPR appearances.

I know there are more, but those are just off the top of my head, and should be very easy to find on Amazon or at your local public library.

Yes, definitely Stephen Fry. The Liar was wonderful.

Also, James Baldwin, especially Giovanni's Room, but I'm not sure if that is easily found as an audio book.

VisionOfClarity on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/Augusten-Burroughs/e/B001I9NA2M/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1279226987&sr=8-2-ent

Augusten Burroughs is fantastic. His book "Dry" is one of my favorites of all time. Again, being gay is pretty incidental in his books, but his identity definitely plays a part. I would highly recommend Dry and probably Running With Scissors before it.

I was going to suggest both Burroughs and Sedaris.
    Although I'd recommend Running with Scissors over Dry; Dry was a bit more melancholy, although it depends on what you're into.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Castle what's with your Moab is my Washpot audible link? I try to sign in and google flags it as a bad link or something. Are you in a different country? I can't find that book in audible when I search from audible.com.

KalTorak on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    neville wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »

I was going to suggest both Burroughs and Sedaris.
    Although I'd recommend Running with Scissors over Dry; Dry was a bit more melancholy, although it depends on what you're into.

Oh yeah, Dry was way melancholy, but I've never read a better description of addiction... it's my favorite of his.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Being a fantasy buff, The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan is the most crackin' action fantasy of the last decade with a homosexual protagonist. You might find it in Audiobook form.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.