As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA: Playoffs! Refs are the only team that matters.

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cauld wrote: »
    Jesus christ what a fuck up. This is the reworded.
    "We're going to be wearing a bullseye. But that's what you play for," Wade said. "We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games.

Wow. What a misquote. At least they corrected it, so I can forgive them. My respect for Wade almost went down a little, but it went up instead. I remember Garnett saying something like 'this series is gonna be a war, we're gonna be our guns, our grenade launchers' etc. and got in some trouble for it.

Not much of a misquote, he still makes the same comparison just in the sentence after.

What.

Wade (misquote): If we lose it's like 9/11.

Wade (actual): If we lose you media idiots with no sense of perspective are going to act like it's 9/11.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13651163/jordan-shares-his-disappointment-of-heat-big-3
    Jordan shares his disappointment of Heat Big Three
    July 18, 2010
    By Ken Berger
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

LAS VEGAS -- The latest Big Three backlash came Sunday from none other than Michael Jordan, who contributed his weighty opinion to the debate about whether LeBron James should've teamed up with two superstars instead of trying to beat them.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said after finishing tied for 22nd in the American Century Championship golf tournament in Stateline, Nev. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Those last few words, said in an interview with NBC Sports, will resonate and hang over James all season, the way Jordan's legacy has hovered over the first seven years of his career. Clearly, I am not alone in believing that James broke ranks in a legacy-damaging way by teaming up with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh instead of trying to go through them in the eternal struggle for championships that the great players have always faced.

"Mike and I are in 100 percent agreement on this," Charles Barkley told the Arizona Republic this week. "If you're the two-time defending NBA MVP, you don't leave anywhere. They come to you. That's ridiculous. I like LeBron. He's a great player. But I don't think in the history of sports you can find a two-time defending MVP leaving to go play with other people."

Barkley's full of it. He demanded out of carrying a mediocre Sixers team in order to join a 50+ win Suns team. Then tried to form his own big 3 with Hakeem and Pippen in Houston.

Also, Berger apparently missed the part where Jordan said "I can't say that's a bad thing," and writes the whole thing as ZOMG Jordan dissed Lebron!

BubbaT on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    "We're going to be wearing a bullseye. But that's what you play for," Wade said. "We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games.

Wow. What a misquote. At least they corrected it, so I can forgive them. My respect for Wade almost went down a little, but it went up instead. I remember Garnett saying something like 'this series is gonna be a war, we're gonna be our guns, our grenade launchers' etc. and got in some trouble for it.

Not much of a misquote, he still makes the same comparison just in the sentence after.

What.

Wade (actual): If we lose you media idiots with no sense of perspective are going to act like it's 9/11.

When I read it the first time I got the impression that he was referring to the media making it out to be like 9/11, the edit just clarified that. Which is still a stupid presumptuous thing to say that the media (as ridiculous as they are) would blow up some losses to 9/11 level of catastrophe.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

What.

When I read it the first time I got the impression that he was referring to the media making it out to be like 9/11, the edit just clarified that. Which is still a stupid presumptuous thing to say that the media (as ridiculous as they are) would blow up some losses to 9/11 level of catastrophe.

I see that you are unfamiliar with the works of Dan Shaughnessy.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The original misquote makes it seem like Wade is comparing the 2. The actual quote makes it clear that Wade thinks comparing the 2 is stupid.

And I wouldn't put anything past today's idiot hack sports media in terms of dumbass analogies. You're dealing with a group of people who think playing football is like fighting in a war.
    - Bill Simmons wrote that Tiger was facing a tougher comeback than Ali in 1969.
    - Gil LeBreton compared "pro-Canadian" coverage of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics to Nazi propaganda.
    - Brian Windhorst compared Lebron leaving to a nuclear bomb being dropped on Cleveland.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bad news for Houston Fans...
    According to Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal-Times, Yao Ming "could miss up to the first two months of the season."
    Immediately preceding this depressing notion, Woelfel writes that "Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon." We would be surprised to see Yao in uniform on opening day, but hopefully the two-month timeline is exaggerated.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    clownfood wrote: »
    Bad news for Houston Fans...
    According to Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal-Times, Yao Ming "could miss up to the first two months of the season."
    Immediately preceding this depressing notion, Woelfel writes that "Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon." We would be surprised to see Yao in uniform on opening day, but hopefully the two-month timeline is exaggerated.

At this point its probably the only viable course of action. He has missed tons of games over the years and he ain't gettin' any younger. So not rushing him back is actually the best they could do ... better miss two month at the beginning then having to shut it down for the rest of the year later or even for his career. And with Scola, Ariza, Miller and Martin in place, they might actually be able to do some damage even without Yao. It will probably be that team again nobody wants to play ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is the first time I've heard of the Racine Journal-Times or Gery Woelfel. All the reports I've been hearing from Houston sources are that Yao is ahead of schedule and should be ready for the start of the season. So color me skeptical. Although of course it makes perfect sense that they would ease him back in on limited minutes.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    can i write check?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And I'm hearing from the Houston Chronicle via Daryl Morey that it's "totally false".

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wojnarowski Twitter -
    Bucks are close to acquiring Jon Brockman in sign and trade with Kings for Darnell Jackson and a future 2nd round pick, league source says.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Wojnarowski Twitter -
    Bucks are close to acquiring Jon Brockman in sign and trade with Kings for Darnell Jackson and a future 2nd round pick, league source says.

They signed Dooling as Jennings' backup. So Hammond has added:

Jon Brockman
    Dooling
    Larry Sanders
    Hobson
    Tiny Gallon
    Drew Gooden
    Corey Magette
    CDR

May as well go for it this season with a lockout looming in the distance, I suppose.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dammit
    i'm watching "without bias"
    and now i'm all depressed
    how am i supposed to hate the celtics like this
    edit: holy hell as if this wasnt tragic enough, this is where mandatory minimums came from? uuuggggggghhhhhhhhh

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CJ Watson to the Bulls for a 2nd rounder.

sign and trade, 3 years, 10.2 million. Assuming the 3rd year isn't guaranteed like the deals brewer and korver have received.

looks to be a fairly good shooter, can bring some quick points off the bench. solid backup for rose, as he has a similar playing style so the Bulls won't have to change up their offense with him on the floor.

good offseason for the bulls, expect 2 more vet min guys to fill out the roster. maybe some summer leaguers stick.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also, Matt Barnes to toronto. 2/10 or so is what I am seeing.

apparently they are going to at least pretend to play defense this year?

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    not if they still plan on running out bargnani at c

Ulises on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    one thing is for certain, i expect them to be one of the 3 worst teams in the NBA this season.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's about time people were able to make 9/11 references in humorous/metaphorical contexts anyway.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's about time people were able to make 9/11 references in humorous/metaphorical contexts anyway.

Do people do it with Pearl Harbor? Or Hiroshima? I would think it'd be somewhat tasteless as long as there are still people alive who were around for the event in question.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    neither orlando or toronto have the money left to sign Barnes for his 2 year 10 mil deal.

whoops

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bergy wrote: »
    neither orlando or toronto have the money left to sign Barnes for his 2 year 10 mil deal.

whoops

It is somewhat baffling how neither team figured that out earlier.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

whoops

It is somewhat baffling how neither team figured that out earlier.

GMs and coaches don't actually read the CBA. I doubt any of the basketball people in the front office do, or have even heard of Larry Coon. Embarrassing for the Raptors/Magic's financial/legal teams, though.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll give it a shot.

Namel3ss

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    LOL Richard Jefferson signed with... the Spurs.

After opting out of a $15 million salary in 2010-11 with... the Spurs.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

We'll have to see the details before I pass judgement. I read next season will be less than the $15mil, but if its 3 years $35mil or something (just pulling out numbers), then its not a bad deal for him

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

We'll have to see the details before I pass judgement. I read next season will be less than the $15mil, but if its 3 years $35mil or something (just pulling out numbers), then its not a bad deal for him

I just can't imagine his new deal overpays him enough to be worth declining his option. These are the Spurs we're talking about, after all, and not the Isiah Thomas Knicks.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Warriors signed Jeremy Lin.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    welcome to nellyworld

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Aw shucks, of all the teams in the league.......

Oh well, at least I'll have two players I'll enjoy following on the Warriors now.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You know they signed him to play SF right?

NellieBall at it's best!

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LeBron's Ego

I'd love to play if the league isn't full yet. I have never done anything like the slow draft method you guys seem to favour. Hopefully I can pick it up quick.

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it is streets ahead of a quick draft

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You know they signed him to play SF right?

NellieBall at it's best!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5396732
    The Golden State Warriors are closing in on signing summer-league sensation Jeremy Lin, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Warriors, by offering to guarantee more than half of Lin's potential first-year salary of nearly $500,000, have reached an agreement with the point guard from Harvard.

Lin is expected to receive a multiyear deal, sources said. The deal has not been signed.

Lin's Bay Area roots and consistently strong performance with the Dallas Mavericks' squad in Las Vegas prompted the Warriors to chase Lin hard and ultimately outbid a handful of teams that have been pursuing him since summer-league play ended Sunday.

The Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers were among the first teams to try to sign the 6-foot-3 guard for next season, but agent Roger Montgomery told ESPNDallas.com on Monday that the publicity Lin attracted for outplaying prized Mavs youngster Roddy Beaubois -- while routinely flashing better-than-expected athleticism in the process -- generated a clutch of new offers.

The Warriors have a need for a guard depth behind stars Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry after restricted free agent C.J. Watson signed an offer sheet Monday with the Chicago Bulls that resulted in Watson joining the Bulls via sign-and-trade.

A Western Conference scout said of Lin's play in Las Vegas: "He showed that he can be an NBA point guard. He showed us he can finish, defend and has above-average athleticism."

Lin is a lifelong Warriors fan and his signing, sources said, was fully endorsed by Golden State's incoming new ownership tandem of Boston Celtics minority partner Joe Lacob and Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber, whose purchase of the Warriors from longtime owner Chris Cohan won't be finalized for 60 to 90 days.

Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson was the only NBA executive to offer Lin a roster spot for summer league and had hopes of developing Lin's game with the Texas Legends, which is the Mavericks D-League affiliate in Frisco that Nelson co-owns.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have I missed anyone in the draft sign up? If I have, then we're full if I haven't we have one spot left (very deep league but we'll get over it)

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "I'm never [leaving]," he said, before punctuating that statement a few seconds later. "Never."

The Bulls’ 21-year-old All-Star made that clear during a conversation with me on Wednesday afternoon before Day 2 of Team USA's training camp. The South Side native doesn't want to ever play anywhere besides Chicago.

also about team USA
    @Mark_Travis Derrick Rose was the best three-point shooter today. Not a great sign

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Chris Paul demanding a trade to either the Lakers, Magic or Knicks.

New Orleans is going down in flames.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What about the Celtics, Chris? What about the Celtics?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He'd be fun to see on the Magic, but I would kill someone from this topic to see him in LA without giving up much more than Bynum.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chris Paul demanding a trade to either the Lakers, Magic or Knicks.

New Orleans is going down in flames.

Source for that? The trade demand, not the New Orleans going down in flames part.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i'd prefer he stay in the west

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
This discussion has been closed.