As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Reading/Book Thread: With That Same Ol' Bad Taste!

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I've abandoned finishing Gogol's Dead Souls for now - It's just not doing anything for me.

I just started reading White Noise by Don Delillo - it's my first Delillo novel, and I fucking love it. I might move on immediately to Underworld.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    i have that app, peen

i'll hit borders and check that book out, thanks

also to address a prior conversation, i absolutely hated Old Man's War

oh dang I just bought this because someone said it was a lot like forever war

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    okay

I just finished John le Carre's A Most Wanted Man, and as I expected, the ending is pretty friggin' depressing.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Reading the Way of Kings, about 150 pages in. Interesting, but I'm wondering if I'll ever get to the conflict.
    It's a great book, stick with it.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    So I've abandoned finishing Gogol's Dead Souls for now - It's just not doing anything for me.

I just started reading White Noise by Don Delillo - it's my first Delillo novel, and I fucking love it. I might move on immediately to Underworld.

h5

i also went pynchon, gogol, delillo in the last several months

Ulises on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ulises wrote: »

h5

I will finish Dead Souls eventually, it's just I'm finding the middle few hundred pages to drag a tad.

What Delillo have you read? I'm also thinking of reading Libra.

Gah, there's just so much to read!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I got into Dartmouth :wink:

cool man

that's one of the places i almost went

i was very indecisive

was between that and duke and columbia, and i ruled out JHU because i thought baltimore was a horrible shitty city

and even though all 3 of those places were very different i still couldnt decide so they all had something good to offer

congrats on your shit

You got into Dartmouth, Duke and Columbia but you didn't get into Penn?

*kills self*

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh and I'm probably going to spend upwards of $500 fedexing all these documents because I didn't do it on time

PROCRASTI-FUCKING-NATION

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Excellent.

Also, I told you so. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Excellent.

hi5!

Also, I haven't read any Gaddis - I haven't even heard of Gaddis. What would you recommend?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i have that app, peen

Im curious, why did you hate old mans war?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

h5

I will finish Dead Souls eventually, it's just I'm finding the middle few hundred pages to drag a tad.

i haven't read dead souls yet. i barely got through a volume of the collected gogol (minus dead souls) before i blanched. i don't know why i even picked him up

as for delillo, i've read ratner's star, white noise, and underworld, with an eye on cosmopolis and libra next. favourite's probably white noise, but underworld gains points for the incredibly slick opening

you should give the latin-americans a shot next, paz and marquez and bolaño, if only to be even more like me

Ulises on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes yes yes, if people are getting into Delillo then Cosmopolis is can't miss. It's completely great and not the chore that Underworld is.

I love urban fiction:
    9781416561330.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    First in a sassy new series!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There is nothing about that cover that I don't like.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

h5

i haven't read dead souls yet. i barely got through a volume of the collected gogol (minus dead souls) before i blanched. i don't know why i even picked him up

as for delillo, i've read ratner's star, white noise, and underworld, with an eye on cosmopolis and libra next. favourite's probably white noise, but underworld gains points for the incredibly slick opening

you should give the latin-americans a shot next, paz and marquez and bolaño, if only to be even more like me

I will be reading some Marquez soon enough - it's been a long time coming - it's just a matter of getting around to him.
    I've recently ordered some more Borges (The Aleph - can't fucking wait) and a while ago I read some short stories by Cortazar. I really do have to read more of the Sud Americans.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Excellent.

hi5!

Also, I haven't read any Gaddis - I haven't even heard of Gaddis. What would you recommend?

Carpenter's Gothic is to William Gaddis what Crying of Lot 49 is to Pynchon and White Noise is to Delillo. (And then A Frolic of His Own is the Gaddis equivalent of V.)

All his stuff is good, even amazing. But it is dense dense dense. JR is an incredible sprawling tale with the central thread of an elementary school student who barters a bulk shipment of military surplus cutlery he finds for free into a sprawling corporate empire. He uses a somewhat hapless and increasingly unwilling piano composer/teacher as his front man. That summary doesn't really do it justice, though. Kind of like saying GR is about a WWII soldier named Slothrop who travels and trysts through war-torn London while recounting previous adventures in pre-War America.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Excellent.

hi5!

Carpenter's Gothic is to William Gaddis what Crying of Lot 49 is to Pynchon and White Noise is to Delillo. (And then A Frolic of His Own is the Gaddis equivalent of V.)

All his stuff is good, even amazing. But it is dense dense dense. JR is an incredible sprawling tale with the central thread of an elementary school student who barters a bulk shipment of military surplus cutlery he finds for free into a sprawling corporate empire. He uses a somewhat hapless and increasingly unwilling piano composer/teacher as his front man. That summary doesn't really do it justice, though. Kind of like saying GR is about a WWII soldier named Slothrop who travels and trysts through war-torn London while recounting previous adventures in pre-War America.
    Okay, rad, I'll add it to the list.

Speaking of Latin-Americans, read this short story, House Taken over - Julio Cortazar. Tell me that doesn't send a shiver down your spine.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    i have that app, peen

Im curious, why did you hate old mans war?

for a lot of reasons that you will probably disagree with, and that is cool, if you like it then keep on with that
    ok, so

it felt like a book that started as ideas... books like that tend to be heavy on the info dumps, as this one was, which was annoying to me and made for a really disjointed read

none of the characters ever interested me, especially not the Gary Stu that was the main character, "i'm so perfect even the drill sergeant who hates everyone is in love with me, woohoo, time to go beat some alien asses like a boss and be the only guy hanging with the cool mystery kids" :?

basically no character ever felt like a real person... they were all really one-dimensional and none had a unique voice, all interchangeable, so even when some died it was like "who was that again?" instead of having any kind of emotional impact

all the frying pan to the head philosophical rants and situations didn't help either, also contributed to the disjointedness of the book, like every chapter was a whole new planet with new stuff and new people that existed only to make a particular point in that chapter

tldr: disjointed, crappy characters, info dumps and boring philosophy

but in other news, i love scalzi's website so there's that at least

Quoth on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I picked up Oryx and Crake and Infinite Jest at the library yesterday. Started O&C first. I didn't realize it has boobs on the cover until I was walking out. Whoops, probably would have self checked out if I saw that.

captaink on
  • Options
    FluffyKittenFluffyKitten Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    I picked up Oryx and Crake and Infinite Jest at the library yesterday. Started O&C first. I didn't realize it has boobs on the cover until I was walking out. Whoops, probably would have self checked out if I saw that.

Infinite Jest has to be read twice before it starts to really be cool. A big commitment.

FluffyKitten on

thread killer - didn't mean to, btw
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    reading The Devil in the White City
    jesus

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    jesus

I know, right?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just ordered Stonewielder to tide things over til The Crippled God is out.

Also picked up Oxygen Transport in the Critically Ill, but that's more for work/studying.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    jesus

I know, right?

That was a good read? Have you gotten to the part where the Ferris wheel first debuts and people start boarding? There are some really amusing bits there.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm only like 50 pages in :P

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Rudolph LingensRudolph Lingens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I will be reading some Marquez soon enough - it's been a long time coming - it's just a matter of getting around to him.
    I've recently ordered some more Borges (The Aleph - can't fucking wait) and a while ago I read some short stories by Cortazar. I really do have to read more of the Sud Americans.

Word to the wise: the English edition of The Aleph on Penguin is an inferior translation by Andrew Hurley. The translation by Borges himself in collaboration with Norman Thomas di Giovanni is fantastic, and trumps any other as far as authoritativeness is concerned. It isn't in print, and used copies are hard to find, but most university libraries should have it. Definitely read it in whatever form you can. The story "The Aleph" is like nothing else. It's maybe my favourite piece of short fiction.

Another Latin-American writer everyone should read is Álvaro Mutis. He writes wonderful stories about a drifter named Maqroll.

I've spent the last two nights reading crime novels by Richard Stark. I read The Hunter last night (the inspiration for the John Boorman film Point Blank) and The Jugger tonight (the inspiration for Godard's Made in U.S.A.). They're extremely elegant novels, very logical, and at times shockingly violent and amoral. I'm looking forward to getting more.

Rudolph Lingens on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Devil in the White City is so good.

I actually found the parts about the fair just as interesting as the Holmes bits, if not more so.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Devil in the White City is so good.

I actually found the parts about the fair just as interesting as the Holmes bits, if not more so.

agreed, thus far

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not that the Holmes stuff is boring by any means, but I just found the race to get the fair ready so compelling.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    picked up The Sound and The Fury today as I'm closing in on the end of Huck Finn

I still really want to get Twain's autobiography but it's all sold out everywhere

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    got it for christmas
    saving it for the last thing to read, want to be able to relax and go through it slowly

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    you bastard

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    mwah o3o

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i am going to cry REAL TEARS at you

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Projeck wrote: »
    i am going to cry REAL TEARS at you

:C
    smooooooooch

Antimatter on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've spent the last two nights reading crime novels by Richard Stark. I read The Hunter last night (the inspiration for the John Boorman film Point Blank) and The Jugger tonight (the inspiration for Godard's Made in U.S.A.). They're extremely elegant novels, very logical, and at times shockingly violent and amoral. I'm looking forward to getting more.

There are some awesome graphic novel adaptations of Richard Stark's Parker stuff-- the Hunter and the Outfit are out now, and are both amazing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This is one of those books that makes me think man, if this could get published then I know I can someday.
    418Z8EZDDJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    From the back:
    "Vriginity and sexuality are two issues that many young girls grapple with today...NIARA is a novel which can introduce teenage girls to the arena of making choices without risking anything, but their imaginations and several hours of reading.

Peen on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuck my life.

I ordered some books (Dan abnett's the lost and nekropolis and rice boy) and they were not what I expected.

The lost was a collection of books, two of which I already own (In anyone in europe wants traitor general and his last command for the price of shipping, PM me) Nekropolis was in German (Might still be able to read it) and rice boy was not in any way connected to the webcomic.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCK, never order books in a hurry.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That rice boy mistake seems like it wouldn't be that easy to make. How

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
This discussion has been closed.