Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D]Only in Dreams - Act I: Dream Country

123468

Posts

  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

    LV 3. Orb of Nimble Thoughts +1
    LV 4. Battle Harness +1
    LV 6. Magic Tome +2
    LV 7. Boots of the Fencing Master
    LV 8. Cunning Staff +2

    I like concentrated forms of treasure - lots of value packed into low weight items, please!


    Nimaran turned to face the group. Clearly this was his time to shine. "First things first, my friends! How can we find what we're looking for..." He waved his tiny hands around, and his staff blossomed into a beacon of light.

    "...if we can't see where we're going?"

    Nimaran turned back to face the cavern. In all his travels, he had never seen anything like it. Maybe if he could reason out what the purpose of such a cavern was, he would at least know what to expect inside.
    Religion 18
    History 13

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry for the delay.

    "You progress forward into the tunnel. You travel about 40 feet or so before you reach an antechamber of some sort. There are three pathways; one leading further ahead, and one to each side of you.

    Seems you have a choice."

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Laineth holds her breath for a moment, listening intently for any clue as to which path might be the correct one.
    Perception: 1d20+1 15

    I'm not too worried about treasure, though I certainly prefer scale armor and longswords.

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Laineth:
    Your ears bring you no clues. It almost seems like nothing lives down here, it is that quiet.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nimaran stepped forward and pointed the light on his staff at each corridor. "All things being equal," he shrugged, "I say we go straight ahead. If we travel in a straight line, we're less likely to get lost."

  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aemille plucks the string of her bow and listens to the acoustics of each passage. It seemed as good of a way to test the direction to travel as any...she thought that she had heard this method in an epic once...The Nayad and the Minotaur, maybe? She recited a few lines of that poem in her head until she hit another nugget of wisdom.

    "I think we may want to always turn the same way. That way we cover all of the ground and should eventually make our way in and out without missing a thing. I've always been partial to left myself."
    Dungeoneering: 22

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aemille:
    Way to be inventive.

    The sound waves from the passages to the right and straight ahead seem to travel for quite a while. The sound heading to the left, though, seems to travel before hitting an object before too long.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • RainfallRainfall If you do not repay me, I will RECLAIM the ball.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwn shrugged, pacing back and forth. There was a small breeze from the corridor, whispering in her ear, but she knew that the air down here would be dead and lifeless. It frightened her, a bit, the wind had been a constant companion since she started, and her faint nervousness shone through.

    "We should go quickly. I don't... like it here."

    Dark corridors were not her specialty.

    UlfreBY.png
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Hmm...left also seems shorter. I definitely vote left."

  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Maiden stepped up beside Gwyn-Lai and set a hand on her shoulder, her lips set in a wry little smile. "Relax. Being all tense isn't going to do you any good if we do bump into something down here."

    Letting her arm drop back to her side, she took a few steps over to the leftmost corridor and peered into the darkness. "Left sounds fine with me. If all else fails we can just turn back around, right?"

  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nimaran nodded in agreement. "To the left, then."

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "As you progress down the left corridor, it quickly starts to twist and turn. After a few minutes of traversing it, you feel that you are nearing the end of the path. Just before you reach a turn, however, you think you hear voices from up ahead."

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • RainfallRainfall If you do not repay me, I will RECLAIM the ball.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-Lai placed a finger to her lips and raised her other hand in a stop motion as she moved ahead silently, her graceful figure hugging close to the wall, not making even the faintest sound as she tried to get closer to the sound of the voices.

    Stealth: 1d20+10 22

    UlfreBY.png
  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reading Gwyn-Lai's intent, Nimaran quickly dismisses the light cantrip on his staff.

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-lai:
    As you peak round the corner, you can see a group of men, spread out across a chamber. They seem to be looking for something while talking amongst themselves.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Laineth quietly draws her sword, her heart racing in her chest. Moving to the front of the rest of the group as quietly as possible, she glances over her shoulder, whispering, "Ye all stay behind me if trouble breaks out."
    She'll still stay a ways back from the room, at least until Gwyn-lai gets back. In case it's needed (though I hope range will bump the roll up a bit): Stealth: 1d20-2 18

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now that I'm off work I can back up my previous post with some die rolls

    Nimaran is all too glad to stay behind the person with the sword. Up until now, he had been brimming with overconfidence. However, the thought of upcoming trouble quickly reminded him that up until a few days ago, raiding lost caverns was a bit over his head, and there was no friendly dwarven cleric to watch over him now if things went bad.
    Stealth 18 (14+4)

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You all approach the group of men. You're stacked around the corner, and they've given no indicators that they're aware of your presence.

    The time for a decision is approaching.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • RainfallRainfall If you do not repay me, I will RECLAIM the ball.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-Lai crept back to the group, quietly whispering her report. "Men... searching. We should attack, more for us." She glanced over her shoulder at the corridor. There was no chance she was letting anyone get out of the cavern with the artifact she needed.

    Without waiting for the rest of the group to reply, she slipped back to her earlier position, creeping further into the room, using the shadows and any natural cover to conceal herself.
    going to actually move into the room this time, preparing to get into a position for a sneak attack.
    Stealth: 1d20+10 27

    UlfreBY.png
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nodding to her companions, Laineth gestures for them to stay put. Taking a deep breath and a moment to calm her nerves, she then steps around the corder in full view of the men in the room.

    "Afternoon, boy-os! Might I ask what ye're up to?" A friendly grin beams on her face as she tries to take as unthreatening a posture as possible.
    Diplomacy: 1d20+11 18

    Laineth will keep her sword in hand, but she'll hold it in a passive position, say, with the flat resting across her shoulders.

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Laineth:
    You see five men, spread out around the room, rummaging through piles of debris. This, of course, stops when you introduce yourself. One of them turns and starts advancing slowly towards you, a malicious grin on his face.

    "Wul hello there, poppet! Are you lost? Dunno wha'a pretty thing like'ew's doin' down 'ere. Even wif' that pigsticker you got there, you need some protection. But don' worry bout that, love. That's what we're 'ere for, innit, boys?" The rest of them chuckle.

    Laineth:
    You begin to form a retort, but then your mind is thrown off balance; this is how you were treated at the tavern, all the abuse that you took there from men just like him. For a second, you panic; what if you change back now, right when you need Laineth the most? Life has been cruel to you thus far; it would not be out of the realm of possibility, would it?

    Any further conversations with the men require a bluff check.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "I'm not so sure that'll be necessary, fellows!" announced the Maiden, stepping out of the shadows and sidling up beside Laineth, her rapier nudged just far enough out of its scabbard to display the gleam of the steel. She slung her free arm around Laineth's shoulder, careful to avoid the edge of the blade, and grinned in the man's direction.

    "I think our girly here's got enough protection to keep her outta harm's way. But that's not the point, yeah?," she said, wrinkling her nose and drawing her weapon, gesturing at them with the tip of her sword. "You lot all look like proper gentlemen, so let's just talk about this like civilized individuals. No need for unnecessary violence and all that."
    Intimidate: 1d20+9 18

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The new acquaintances stand up, weapons ready.

    "Right you are, songbird, right you are. Too bad for you, that our definitions o' the word 'unnecessary' differ a bit."

    ROLL FOR INITIATIVE

    Map:
    cavern.png

    The other three can places themselves in the 4x4 square on the right, since they were hiding behind the corner.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aemille will be in H13 since she was going to enter the room next.

    Initiative = 17.

  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Maiden's expression loses any semblance of good will (although she is certainly still smiling) and she slips her main gauche from her belt, assuming a fighting pose.

    "Don't say I didn't warn you, gents."
    Initiative: 1d20+5 25

  • RainfallRainfall If you do not repay me, I will RECLAIM the ball.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-Lai was sneaking back into the room to prepare to murder the guys, is she still stuck in that corner?
    Initiative: 1d20+5 7 uuugh terrible

    UlfreBY.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-Lai:
    You're halfway between a corner and the entryway.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In the blink of an eye, Laineth surges forward into the midst of the group of men, her sword poised ready to strike.
    Initiative: 1d20+0 19
    Improved Speed of Thought: free action encounter power, trigger: roll initiative; shift 8 squares
    Shift to H7

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nimaran grips his staff, turning his knuckles white. Well, he thought, time to see if dreams really do come true. He paused, waiting for the rest of his party to get in front of him.
    Nimaran starts at I-13
    Initiative 7 (6 + 1)
    sad trombone

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Initiative Order:
    Archers: 25
    Maiden: 25
    Mercenaries: 22
    Laineth: 19
    Guard: 18
    Aemille:17
    Gwyn-Lai: 7
    Nimaran: 7

    "The archers, already having an arrow knocked, step back before they let their projectiles fly. One thought he saw a Genasi and shot at it, but he was clearly seeing things.. The other archer, bolstered by his compatriot's success, aims at the Maiden.

    Archer 1: Shift to F4, Longbow against No-one. no one at all.
    Archer 2: Shift to H4, Longbow against Maiden; Hits for 11 damage.

    Stats:
    Feathered Maiden: ??-11/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Aemille: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Gwyn-Lai: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Laineth The Free: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Nimaran: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges

    Archers: HP 38, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Guard: HP 47, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenaries: HP 47, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14

    Each time you're up, just copy this stat block and adjust numbers as necessary. Helps keep everybody up to date.

    Map:
    cavern1.png

    Up next: The Feathered Maiden

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Maiden charges into the melee with reckless abandon, weapons at the ready. Before the mercenary adjacent to Laineth can react she nimbly maneuvers herself into a position behind him and thrusts outward with her blade, punching the tip through a gap in his mail and into his torso. Smiling in a way that can only be described as condescending, she darts backward a step or two and raises her guard, prepared for the counterattack.
    Move to J9
    Opening Move vs AC vs I8: 1d20+10+2 27 2d8+5 11
    Sneak Attack: Sneak Attack!: 2d8 10
    21 total damage

    pfffft

    Stats:
    Feathered Maiden: 23/34 HP, 22 AC (EONT), 14 Fort, 24 Ref (EONT), 16 Will, 7/7 Surges
    Aemille: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Gwyn-Lai: ??-9/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Laineth The Free: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Nimaran: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges

    Archers: HP 38, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Guard: HP 47, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenaries: HP 47, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14

    Up next: Mercenaries

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not known for making the most out of my builds, so pardon my asking How the hell are you adding 12 to your attack you're 3rd level for chrissakes

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • RainfallRainfall If you do not repay me, I will RECLAIM the ball.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    +5 Dex modifier, +2 Combat Advantage, +3 Proficiency bonus, +1 expertise bonus, +1 item bonus.

    Also, why'd Gwyn get shot? She was stealthing, did they spot her? What's going on there!

    UlfreBY.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what rainy said

    i do this with literally every character i make

    it's a sickness

    edit:
    also i forgot to add in sneak attack damage last time so that's added in my combat post

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crap, forgot that she was stealthing when I put her token in there. Fixed.

    But now, Rainfall, need you to make another stealth check against the mercenary.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • RainfallRainfall If you do not repay me, I will RECLAIM the ball.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Stealth: 1d20+10 11

    Oh dear.

    UlfreBY.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gotta love crit fails. And crits, apparently.

    "As one mercenary prepared to respond to the Maiden in kind, suddenly the other took notice of Gwyn-Lai. Despite catching her off her guard, the human somehow misses his swing. The other mercenary, however, connects perfectly with the Maiden, pushing her back and knocking her senseless."

    Mercenary 1: Shift to J8, Press The Advantage on the Maiden; Critical Hit, doing (10+6+7)23 damage to the Maiden. She is pushed to I10, as she falls unconscious.

    Mercenary 2: Press The Advantage on Gwyn-Lai; Miss.

    Stats:
    Feathered Maiden: 0/34 HP, Unconscious, 22 AC (EONT), 14 Fort, 24 Ref (EONT), 16 Will, 7/7 Surges
    Aemille: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Gwyn-Lai: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Laineth The Free: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Nimaran: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges

    Archers: HP 38, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Guard: HP 47, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 1: HP 26, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 2: HP 47, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14

    Map:
    cavern2.png

    Up next: Laineth

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    With a flash, Laineth begins to glow with psionic energy, unleashing a storm of blades upon her foes, leaving them scattered and wounded. She sends a touch of power into the Maiden, soothing her fallen companion's wounds.
    Minor: Battlemind Demand (Augment 1): mark archer 1 and archer 2
    Standard: Energizing Strike vs AC, Augment 1: 1d20+8 18 1d8+4 12, Guard hit, Maiden heals 3 hp
    ACTION POINT!
    Standard: Bull's Strength vs AC, augment 2: 5#1d20+9 11 19 19 17 24 1d8+5 6, Archer 2, Guard, Mercenary 2 hit; Push Guard to E5, push Mercenary 2 to D7
    Move: G4
    Stats:
    Feathered Maiden: 3/34 HP 22 AC (EONT), 14 Fort, 24 Ref (EONT), 16 Will, 7/7 Surges
    Aemille: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Gwyn-Lai: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Laineth The Free: 45/45 HP, 21 AC, 15 Fort, 15 Ref, 16 Will, 13/13 Surges
    Nimaran: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges

    Archer 1: HP 38, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Archer 2: HP 32, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Guard: HP 29, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 1: HP 26, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 2: HP 41, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "The guard sidles up closer to Laineth, eager to repay her for that last attack. He performs a massive sweep with his halberd, leaving a large gash across her thigh and knocking her to the floor."

    Guard: Shift to F6; Powerful Strike(Reach 2) on Laineth; Hit for 15 damage, and Laineth is knocked prone.

    Stats:
    Feathered Maiden: 3/34 HP, Prone, 22 AC (EONT), 14 Fort, 24 Ref (EONT), 16 Will, 7/7 Surges
    Aemille: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Gwyn-Lai: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Laineth The Free: ??-15/?? HP, Prone, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges, 0/4 pp
    Nimaran: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges

    Archer 1: HP 38, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Archer 2: 32, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Guard: HP 29, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 1: HP 26, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 2: HP 41, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14

    As a reminder please keep updating this stat block, so I don't have to keep digging up your sheets everytime I try and hit you.

    Map:
    cavern3.png

    Up next: Aemille, Gwyn-Lai, Nimaran

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OOC
    I don't know if we are doing block initiative or not, but I am going to be out of town this weekend and won't be back until Sunday. So, here's my turn order now - feel free to resolve this after the others, since I'm supposed to be dead last.

    Nimaran leapt around the corner, not really knowing what to expect when he pointed his staff forward. He conjured a distracting illusion to keep the bandits busy while his allies got into a better position. Would they fall for it? There was only one way to see.

    Action
    Move from I-13 to G-11
    Winged Horde vs Will at E-6
    vs Guard 8 - miss
    vs Merc 2 18 - hit for 4 damage - Merc 2 may not take opportunity attacks until EONT

    Stats
    Feathered Maiden: 3/34 HP, Prone, 22 AC (EONT), 14 Fort, 24 Ref (EONT), 16 Will, 7/7 Surges
    Aemille: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Gwyn-Lai: ??/?? HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges
    Laineth The Free: ??-15/?? HP, Prone, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will, ??/?? Surges, 0/4 pp
    Nimaran: 30/30 HP, 15 AC, 14 Fort, 17 Ref, 18 Will, 7/7 Surges

    Archer 1: HP 38, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Archer 2: 32, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 13
    Guard: HP 29, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 1: HP 26, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
    Mercenary 2: HP 37, AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14, cannot take OAs until end of Nimaran's Turn 2

Sign In or Register to comment.