As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Active display ports, ATI Radeon, and multiple monitors: a tragedy

RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, here’s the backstory:

My rig has pigeonholed me into a situation where I have a bunch of monitors (4) but only one PCI Express slot. After doing some research, I ended up purchasing this monstrosity, thinking it would alleviate my problems.

Nope! Turns out that anything more than 2 monitors requires an "active" display port adapter, which I only thought was only required if you wanted to run Eyefinity (one super large screen spanning 2+ monitors) instead of the normal multimon I know and love. Problem is, these things are expensive. $100 per extra output expensive. Anyone know of what is the cheapest adapter, and where to purchase it? I’ve already spent 500 on this card and am not too fond of the idea of spending 200 more.

Essentially, ATI Radeon with 6 outputs only allows 2 without buying extra expensive stuff. Any way around this, and if not, where are the cheap adapters?

!
RhalloTonny on