As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sound insulation for a door?

saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H/A,

The girlfriend and I just moved into a new apartment. We added a roommate to make rent cheaper for the time being. The problem is, our bedrooms are right next to eachother and have superfluous double french doors between them (there are other separate doors on each room).

My girlfriend put up contact paper on the windows for privacy which works well but there's still the problem of sounds going through. It's pretty easy to hear a conversation in the next room.

So I'm looking for a way to insulate the doors for sound that doesn't involve a lot of money or construction and which is easily removable since we plan on having the place to ourselves in less than a year. Right now I'm thinking of getting a piece of foam cushion cut to the size of the doorway and just sticking that inside the frame then covering it with curtains or something so it's not ugly. Will this work? Anyone have a better solution?

XBL: heavenkils
saltiness on

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Marine foam would work pretty well. Curtains would work too, just anything to absorb the sound energy.

That being said, you're just going to have to put up with knowing that your roommate will hear your fucking and talking. That's just part of living with people.

Robman on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Curtains are a good idea! I like that idea because it provides some sound insulation and it's a slightly more attractive way to provide privacy over paper.

VisionOfClarity on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Marine foam would work pretty well. Curtains would work too, just anything to absorb the sound energy.

That being said, you're just going to have to put up with knowing that your roommate will hear your fucking and talking. That's just part of living with people.

Yeah, I'm used to living with others. Nothing new there. I just don't want it to sound like we're fucking inside her head you know? This marine foam stuff looks interesting.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could go: Door -> Marine Foam -> Curtain so that it doesn't look too MacGyver-y, and for maximum sound absorption. The cardboard egg cartons also work well IIRC for absorbing sound.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Narian wrote: »
    You could go: Door -> Marine Foam -> Curtain so that it doesn't look too MacGyver-y, and for maximum sound absorption. The cardboard egg cartons also work well IIRC for absorbing sound.

Egg cartons (regardless of material) do not absorb sound. They are an uneven surface that makes it difficult for sound waves to reflect off of. This results in many smaller waves which are then more easily absorbed by sound absorbent foam materials.

This also makes them quieter once you're standing even a short distance from the cartons because less of the original sound wave actually finds you, only some of the reflections will and the rest will be going off in other directions.

Most importantly though, this is how you prevent sounds from echoing off of walls (reverb).

Why is this relevant?

Because without an absorbing layer underneath those cones, the sound is just going to vibrate right on through them, and even if the wave breaks up, especially if you have hardwood floors and drywall walls, it's still going to be pretty fucking loud on the other side.

A quarter inch thick cardboard sheet doesn't absorb much sound regardless of its shape. If most of the energy makes it through, even disrupted, most of the volume of you fucking will still be present on the other side.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd replace the doors with solid wood doors, but I know a place to get old doors very cheap. Next, you want to remove any gap between the door and the frame/floor/other door. Any open space will let sound through no matter what.
    Foam can be pretty expensive.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Robman wrote: »

French doors or no, this would be the case. Maybe not always for the talking, but unless you're all tantric masters that stay absolutely silent then you guys will hear him/be heard having sex. Apartment buildings are crap for any kind of sound proofing. The French doors are kind of a slap to the face, though.

Raekreu on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sound insulation should be put on both sides of the door, pretty much regardless of what you actually do.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Next, you want to remove any gap between the door and the frame/floor/other door. Any open space will let sound through no matter what.

That is an important point. If air can come through so will sound.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.