As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken / Loose Power Jack on Laptop and Repair?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For the last few weeks my laptop's power jack has been acting weird. I have to sometimes rotate around my charging plug to get the laptop to stop charging. Then, while charging, it'll just stop charging for apparently no reason.

I did a little reading and it looks like these are symptoms of a laptop's DC / power jack being loose or breaking from the laptop motherboard and it's pretty common.

Does anyone have any experience with this and getting it repaired? Many guides say you can do it yourself with a soldering gun but, well I've ever soldered anything in my life.

If anyone has any advice on where to take it near Allston (Boston), MA that would also be great.

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone gave me $80 to do this for them recently. Not only do you have to be decent with a soldering iron, you also need to be able to disassemble and reassemble a laptop. You might also need to get another jack, depending on how it was constructed (I got 2 on ebay for like $4).

You should be able to tell if the jack is loose. There might be some flex, but it shouldn't rattle. The problem is that some shitty designs rely almost entirely on the solder joints to hold the thing in place. Couple that with cords that are designed to not come out "accidentally" and the potential to bang it into stuff and you get a broken jack.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had a old gateway laptop that had Similar symptoms. The laptop used a big barrel plug with copper contacts inside the laptop but the copper had developed some patina/corrosion (was dull brown/green instead of shiny). I made a loop of fine sandpaper and sanded the contacts with the computer turned off and and the battery removed. After that everything worked fine.

The barrel plugs on most laptops have gotten smaller and I don't think I have seen copper connectors on any recently but it could be something to checkout before taking your laptop apart.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mehmehmeh wrote: »
    I had a old gateway laptop that had Similar symptoms. The laptop used a big barrel plug with copper contacts inside the laptop but the copper had developed some patina/corrosion (was dull brown/green instead of shiny). I made a loop of fine sandpaper and sanded the contacts with the computer turned off and and the battery removed. After that everything worked fine.

The barrel plugs on most laptops have gotten smaller and I don't think I have seen copper connectors on any recently but it could be something to checkout before taking your laptop apart.

There does appear to be a single copper connector in the center of the DC jack so this may be something to try. I found the disassembly instructions online and my buddy and I may take a look at it. But, $100 for a repair judging from how many steps it'll take to take the thing apart and put it back together doesn't sound to bad to what could amount to several hours of work.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On some laptops the power jack part can be disconnected from the motherboard, and a new one can be reconnected, without any soldering. It all depends on what model/brand you have.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you can, it might be worthwhile to find another power cord to check it with...

I was having similar problems, and it turned out to be a problem with my charger (the cord had gotten bent at the brick and frayed or something)

much easier repair at least =)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a Sager 8660 built on the M860TU Clevo shell. I don't have any other chargers to try, the power brick works at 20 volts and 6amps and the closest one I have is 18.5 volts and 4amps for my girlfriend's old Gateway.

MegaMan001 on