As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm pretty meh about that last reveal. I mean, we already had an Ultimate game(pretty good one at that), and this one seems like it was put on in solely because they wanted to use the venom suit but couldn't figure out another world to put it in.

Plus from the article, it sounds like the game's focus is more on brawling and other activities instead of swinging.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if this falls within the purview of the forum, but there's a preview of Tartakovsky's new robot hero show, Sym-Bionic Titan, on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoLFv1m0Uo&feature=player_embedded

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I'm pretty meh about that last reveal. I mean, we already had an Ultimate game(pretty good one at that), and this one seems like it was put on in solely because they wanted to use the venom suit but couldn't figure out another world to put it in.

Plus from the article, it sounds like the game's focus is more on brawling and other activities instead of swinging.

Yes, because games that focus on the swinging generally suck in every other aspect.

Furu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Working Title picks up Astro City

And they're giving Busiek the first dibs at writing the script.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if this falls within the purview of the forum, but there's a preview of Tartakovsky's new robot hero show, Sym-Bionic Titan, on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoLFv1m0Uo&feature=player_embedded

I can tell that show will be TV-PG. Should be interesting to see what Tartakovsky can do with a bit more ratings freedom.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon (the good one) was TV-PG, I believe.

Anyway, AMC put up a motion comic of The Walking Dead's first issue.

http://ictv-bd-ec.indieclicktv.com/player/swf/b51134344b4b64572c52606f9e8f148c/4c46239da710b/10/0/defaultPlayer%5Eplayer.swf

I really hope the music isn't the same for the actual series. That is some inappropriately cheesy music, there.

I'd be much happier if the series had no soundtrack, period.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The current Clone Wars cartoon is also PG and gets away with an amazing amount of stuff.

oh also

ecc84fda2177d20643d56d255f29ea80.jpg
    4462f496a305e43eea3e81f19aa9f963.jpg

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I feel ashamed for having Okami on the Wii and not bothering to play it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope Chew is animated.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kickpuncher comic book!

Community_ComicBook_300.jpg

Drawn By Mahfood! Exclamations!!!!!!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope Chew is animated.

I don't. I'd moreso like to see it fill the type of void Pushing Daisies left us with.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I miss Pushing Daisies.

I actually think Chew would translate to animation in a really cool way, but I don't think it'd ever have the ratings to be a success if it weren't on a channel like Cartoon Network.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aintitcool

Is reporting that Snyder has gone ahead and started work on Xerxes, the follow up to 300.
    "We closed the writing deal on 'Xerxes.' We started writing about a week ago," Snyder said, referring to his script work with "300" collaborator Kurt Johnstad. "So we're doing it. It's happening."

Curious about this. I mean, part of why 300 did so well was because for the most part we hadn't seen anything like it before. But now, so many things have taken bits and pieces of it that who knows if it will seem original.

And wonder what Snyder's power is in Hollywood these days. Watchmen wasn't considered a success was it?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn't Snyder, you're supposed to be working on Dawn of the Dead 2.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aintitcool

Is reporting that Snyder has gone ahead and started work on Xerxes, the follow up to 300.
    "We closed the writing deal on 'Xerxes.' We started writing about a week ago," Snyder said, referring to his script work with "300" collaborator Kurt Johnstad. "So we're doing it. It's happening."

Curious about this. I mean, part of why 300 did so well was because for the most part we hadn't seen anything like it before. But now, so many things have taken bits and pieces of it that who knows if it will seem original.

And wonder what Snyder's power is in Hollywood these days. Watchmen wasn't considered a success was it?

Watchmen made a lot of money, and it was regarded by many as a very hard movie to adapt from the source material.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Aintitcool

Watchmen made a lot of money

Not really. Domestic gross according to Boxofficemojo was around 107 million. Lot of money to us, but considering that it costed about 150 million, it didn't even manage to break even. After international and dvd sales, I'm sure it did better, but it wasn't the rousing success many people wanted. Definately not compared to the hype leading to it.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    From its wiki page, its made about $230 million ($185 million domestically+internationally, $50 million via DVDs), not to mention it probably boosted sales of Watchmen.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I still need to see the extended cut of Watchmen.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just think it sucks that he's wasting time on something like a sequel to 300. He could adapt something that sounds way more entertaining. Like, why doesn't DC or Marvel try to tap him for something?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My fear is that the 300 sequel, Xerxes, is being done as a "for-the-money" project than anything else. At least 300 had Frank Millar working on it with a passion. He probably could've done other work for more money, but he had a vision of 300. I get the impression that he might be stretching for creative vision for Xeres.

After portraying Xerxes the way he did in 300, who would want to see a Xeres movie? I envision 2 hours of slow-motion high contrast Xerxes stalking about in various fetish outfits.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Xerxes isn't the star of the story

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Work has begun on a "Suicide Squad" video game which Johns said would be "hardcore violent."

Hopefully they don't do Army of Two fistbumps after every kill.

Maybe something along the lines of Devil May Cry, Deadshot as Dante?

edit: Here's an article about it

It's going to tie into a Suicide Squad movie too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Suicide Squad the movie better be the best comic book movie DC ever produces

Anything less than the best comic book movie DC has ever produced and it will be a failure

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Teaser trailer for a teaser trailer of DCU online

That CGI looked pretty good, Cyborg hasn't been that cool since forever.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If DCU Online doesn't have a monthly fee, I am on it like woah.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Abin Sur

green-lantern-abin-sur.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He looks like a leftover prop from Predators.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is this based on a comic? It looks like it is, has a comic panel t-shirt and figures and its at comic con.

I have never heard of Suckerpunch before but I have suddenly become very interested in what I am seeing.

mvrh1f.jpg

2z820ic.jpg

66401447.jpg

33313383.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    RED theatrical trailer

I didn't know it had that much talent on it. Ernest Borgnine!

That looks to be good, looking forward to it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok I didnt like its not like the comic but that looks stupid awesome, assassin vs assassin always rocks, I loved Smokin' Aces.

EDIT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Joss Whedon announced today that he’s officially directing The Avengers, while on stage with J.J. Abrams at San Diego’s Comic-Con. He joked that Marvel didn’t have enough money for a real press release, so he took it up himself to confirm previous reports that he was in talks to direct the film. When pressed for further details, he said that it was way too early to reveal anything.

The news isn’t exactly surprising, but still it’s good to have final confirmation on the matter. As a Whedon fan, I’m excited to see what he can do with the material. Whedon mentioned that he was a huge fan of early Avenger’s comics while growing up, and he seemed understandably excited and humbled at having the opportunity to direct the film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/22/joss-whedon-officially-directing-the-avengers/#ixzz0uT0SknOe

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So which one will be the sarcastic one and which one the lesbian?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Joss Whedon wrote one of the best comic stories I've ever read (Astonishing X-men) so I am completely satisfied with him directing Avengers.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this based on a comic? It looks like it is, has a comic panel t-shirt and figures and its at comic con.

I have never heard of Suckerpunch before but I have suddenly become very interested in what I am seeing.

mvrh1f.jpg

2z820ic.jpg

66401447.jpg

33313383.jpg

Quoted so your pictures come up, and not comic book related according to Wiki. Still, looks interesting :winky:

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So...instead of working on Hellboy 3, or the Hobbit...Guilleromo del Toro is working on...Disney's The Haunted Mansion ?!?

Must have been a big truckload of money, or a promise to let him direct his dream movie (like Nolan's Inception).

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    del Toro is off the Hobbit now, Jackson is the sole director again. I'm not too sure about the continuation of making blockbuster-esque movies based on Disneyland rides, it just seems like they're riding off the popularity of the Pirates franchise. But then again, the same could be said about every superhero movie that came after Fox's X-Men was a hit.

If this new Haunted Mansion flops, hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did we already know the voice cast for DCUO?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is Whedon writing the Avengers script as well?

Solar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't they already make the Haunted Mansion? Wasn't Eddie Murphy in it?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Is Whedon writing the Avengers script as well?

Apparently so.
    I'm still writing the outline. I am at the stage where I am reworking and reworking. What I love about this is that there is no way that these people should be in the same room together, let alone the same team. And that, to me, is the definition of family.

I love Joss's stuff, and I think that as a writer he's the right choice. As a director...that's more unknown. But what I'm even more curious about is if he actually ends up making the movie. I mean, he isn't known for making mainstream work, and Marvel doesn't have the best track record with 'artists' now, so either both of them end up making consessions, or they're going to butt heads.

noir_blood on