Options

News Media Personalities of America

1234568»

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    I have to admit, Beck could probably make his regular audience be afraid of anything. He should start trolling them. Like, telling them that there are monsters in the closet, then point them to some wizard who sells magic potions for getting rid of monsters. Oh wait, hes already doing that. The wizards are Republicans and the magic potion is Conservatism!

Which is fascinating, but doesn't really help me if I attempt a serious debate.

Edit: I don't mean to pick on you, but I am just trying to steer this into take-seriously-ville. I really would like to show this guy a sourced list of why his hero is a nut case.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to admit, Beck could probably make his regular audience be afraid of anything. He should start trolling them. Like, telling them that there are monsters in the closet, then point them to some wizard who sells magic potions for getting rid of monsters. Oh wait, hes already doing that. The wizards are Republicans and the magic potion is Conservatism!

Edit: I don't mean to pick on you, but I am just trying to steer this into take-seriously-ville. I really would like to show this guy a sourced list of why his hero is a nut case.

Go nuts:

http://mediamatters.org/search/tag/glenn_beck

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Nonsense:_Glenn_Beck_and_the_Triumph_of_Ignorance

This book might help if you can actually get him to read it.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Nonsense:_Glenn_Beck_and_the_Triumph_of_Ignorance

This book might help if you can actually get him to read it.

*Makes a note of that*

Thanks

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

it wouldn't matter

reinforced paranoia doesn't listen to reason

Rust on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I know, but I have to try.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unless you want to cede power to reinforced paranoia, oh, yes you do. It may take a hell of a long time, but it's worth it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Remember: Compliment your friend a bit first before you start laying into Beck.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Have you brought up how there's no evidence that Glen Beck didn't rape and murder a young girl in 1990?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was strongly considering it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I predict you'll have about as much luck as I have with my mother. Which is to say, none. Go get 'em, tiger. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am coming to the same conclusion.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You pretty much have to be non-confrontational as possible. Otherwise youre part of the leftist progressive conspiracy.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Confront him. Smash his head into the floor and kick him until he goes into a coma. (Rhetorically)

Nartwak on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You actually kind of have to do both. You have to very sweetly, very kindly tear his viewpoints apart in the nicest way possible. Being confrontational just causes the other guy to entrench regardless of how persuasive your points would normally be. It's like all those debate classes teach: raise your voice and you lose.

Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of debating on his ground in order to further your own point in an 'even if that were true' sense. Helps you get to places regular debating doesn't.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am sorry for going this route, but I need some help on this issue.

There is a fellow employee of my organisation that believes Glen Beck is an honest, upright individual. On an intellectual level, I know Glen Beck is a cancer of the media. I would love to set him straight, but I don't watch television.

Key points that came up today include that he believes Glen Beck is honest, and that Beck didn't jump on the racism bandwagon over the USDA thing, which was commented on... on page six, I think.

The more examples I can get of Beck being dishonest the better. I know dishonesty is hard to prove compared to simply being incorrect, but you all know enough about him to come up with more than enough examples, I think. I have faith in you.

Bonus points for examples of Beck admitting to saying something on his show that he doesn't believe. If you can come up with examples of that I will love you forever.

If the thread council feels that this discussion isn't worth clogging up the thread with, please respond via PM. Thank you in advance.

There's a huge scandal involving shady dealings with the gold trading firm he shills for.

On this note, you can show him this easy-to-read flow chart.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zython wrote: »
    There's a huge scandal involving shady dealings with the gold trading firm he shills for.
    On this note, you can show him this easy-to-read flow chart.

I don't understand how that's not criminal. Let me guess, it's a fine print issue. Of course, you don't need to read the fine print. These are trusted companies, Glenn Beck recommends them! Are you going to betray Glenn by reading the fine print when he already told you to trust them?

Also, Fox is now advertising Silver, as well, claiming that, with the gold rush, silver is being neglected and ignored. The lower demand apparently means less mark up, which means more savings for the buyer.

Also, also, the local conservative news station keeps airing a commercial where the narrator (a DJ from the morning, local program) claims that it is July, and therefore the year is almost over. So, the end of the 7th month is almost the end of the 12th? My girlfriend will be happy to know her boyfriend now has an "almost foot-long" package, by that logic.

edit: Also, also, also: I love that Glenn Beck makes it clear that Goldline is trustworthy because the Better Business Bureau gives them such a high rating. Nevermind that the B^3 is an international organization, which means that it undermines American Exceptionalism and Sovereignty, two things Glenn loves to get on about.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, progressive talk radio shils that fucking gold just as much as conservative radio does.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh cool Glenn, you're saying liberals are enemies of god now. That can have no horrible repercussions.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Considering the man is claiming on his radio show that God spoke to him about holding his rally thing (which is soon), I think he's jumped the shark.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To be fair, progressive talk radio shils that fucking gold just as much as conservative radio does.

[citation needed]

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, good. Here I was afraid Glenn might be toning down the rhetoric.

Sometimes I think he's trying to play the Jon Stewart card. Jon gets to dismiss a lot of criticism against him by making it clear that they're not news, they're comedy/entertainment. So Glenn goes no his radio show and him and his co-host make fun of each other for a few minutes, then Glenn turns around and says, "See? I'm just a rodeo clown!"

Man...I just...I just don't know about that guy anymore.

Tox on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, here's a good one - the news continues to cover Rangel, while ignoring Ensign/

I think this should be called "The Scarbourough Rule".

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2010

[citation needed]

Just listen to it. When I was listening to Air America radio, they had commercials for that fucking gold all the goddamn time.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

[citation needed]

Just listen to it. When I was listening to Air America radio, they had commercials for that fucking gold all the goddamn time.

Yes, ads on the radio are cheap enough for gold companies. Are any of the hosts hawking gold, though?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

[citation needed]

But are the Air America radio personalities talking about how gold is such a good investment like Glenn Beck does? Also, I didn't even know Air America still existed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, here's a good one - the news continues to cover Rangel, while ignoring Ensign/

I think this should be called "The Scarbourough Rule".

Curse that liberal media!

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

[citation needed]

But are the Air America radio personalities talking about how gold is such a good investment like Glenn Beck does? Also, I didn't even know Air America still existed.

I don't think it does, and I haven't listened to it in quite a while. But when I was, yes, they had the on-air personalities talking about how excellent gold was as an investment opportunity.

I gather it was more just them recording ads as part of their job, and I haven't heard Glenn Beck's ads, so maybe he's a bit more personal about it. But they definitely existed.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Air America is dead. I will confirm that. But, hey, it helped launch Maddow, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Gosling on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I prefer the male Rachel Maddow.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I prefer the male Rachel Maddow.

Que? o_O

I assume you mean someone from Air America?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I gather it was more just them recording ads as part of their job, and I haven't heard Glenn Beck's ads, so maybe he's a bit more personal about it. But they definitely existed.

Glenn beck does a live, "Our sponsor this half-hour..." where he -personally- endorses the company. It functions more like he has a mutual commercial/endorsement deal with his sponsors. He doesn't just read a script, though there are probably talking points he's supposed to hit, he will frequently side-bar in the middle of the commercial to relate a personal experience. With gold, he says that he buys the 20 franc, and he says he buys it as a long-term (I believe he says "multi-generational") investment. He claims to have threatened to haunt his children if they sell the coins after he dies (or maybe before?). With Easy Water he jokes about how he used to make his wife carry the 20lb bags of salt down to the water softener, because he had other chores to do, or his back was hurting, or whatever.

They're personal endorsements, functionally, if not intentionally, not simply pre-recorded commercials like with most radio stations.

Tox on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beck also has some very clever ways to transition into his endorsements from whatever he is currently talking about, so you don't even know you are into his ad until halfway through.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Considering the man is claiming on his radio show that God spoke to him about holding his rally thing (which is soon), I think he's jumped the shark.

It was making the rounds a few months back that his TV ratings were in a pretty serious slump, paired with Fox having increasing amounts of trouble lining up advertisers for his slot. So perhaps he's just decided to "take it to the max" as it were.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So I went to the Berenstain Bears wiki page (since it came up on TDS and I got nostalgic), and this bit was in it:
    Each Bear's role in the family was well defined. Brother, as the older sibling, was controlling and protective of Sister and also more cautious in his manner. Sister, as the younger sibling, was more laid-back, energetic and free spirited. Mama typically was the source of wisdom and knowledge. Papa, while also being wise at times, was more bumbling and clumsy in his demeanor.
    OH MY GOD

GLENN BECK WAS RIGHT

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

It was making the rounds a few months back that his TV ratings were in a pretty serious slump, paired with Fox having increasing amounts of trouble lining up advertisers for his slot. So perhaps he's just decided to "take it to the max" as it were.

End-stage shock jock, then. Which is what he is at heart; what he was before his current gig. A shock jock. It's how they live and how they die. Shock jocks, in order to remain relevant and edgy and headline-grabbing, must continue to top themselves and top themselves again and again, always upping the ante, always getting more and more outrageous. You can't continue to shock unless you keep increasing the shock value. If you shock at the same intensity as the last time, it's no longer shocking. The second you cease being able to top yourself, you're not a shock jock anymore. You're just some guy. You're over. Everyone moves on to the next source of shock. Your career continues, but your 15 minutes are up.

Happened to Marilyn Manson, happened to Howard Stern, and Beck may be sensing that it's now happening to him.

Gosling on