Options

Left 4 Blvd Never Gets Invited 2, y'all have fun with the new muties

• Options
    SpoochSpooch Registered User regular
    but it's all they ever do

sometimes I just want to fuck around and shoot zombies, no pressure

That's not true, we play Tank Rush server and quite often do Expert Campaigns, VS is just the most popular gametype with most people ;)

Assuming direct control O-O
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you pop into chat and ask if anyone wants to do a campaign, you'll probably get a few people who are interested.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Today I felt kind of uncomfortable with some phrasing a member of the chat was using.

I was in the middle of a nice big versus game, and I'm new, so I just left the chat alone and focused on the game in front of me, but now (a couple of hours later) I am feeling pretty bad about that decision, and that uncomfortable feeling has turned into a horrific ball of self loathing in the pit of my stomach.

I don't want to feel this way, or be made to feel this way, and maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but I just don't think it's alright to talk about how you "raped" (or were "raped by") a game. I don't even know what the hell that's meant to convey, did the game attack you, degrade you, damage you, give you post traumatic stress disorder? Did you need medical attention, therapy? Did you file a police report about the game?

What the fuck does that phrase bring to your description that any other phrase wouldn't, beyond making me think you're a goose?

Furthermore, I truly don't know that I particularly want to be part of a group where the people running the group are ok with that behaviour, either, and I know there were at least a few admins around at the time. Now...maybe I'm reading this whole situation wrong, and one of the admins already said something to the guy privately, or maybe I'm just not going to fit in with you guys so much, I don't know.

Either way, I'll probably be avoiding that chat for a while.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Are you talking about Arma? I think that was originally comprised of mostly G&T folk, and not many SE people, so I don't know if most of those folks are really gonna see your post here.

I'm in chat a lot, but I don't really read it all that often unless I'm looking for a game or really bored/drunk. If you're ever not sure about calling something/someone out, and I'm in there too, message me a heads up and I'll throw in or back you up on that kind of thing.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That comic right there in that OP?

That's a good comic.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Today I felt kind of uncomfortable with some phrasing a member of the chat was using.

I was in the middle of a nice big versus game, and I'm new, so I just left the chat alone and focused on the game in front of me, but now (a couple of hours later) I am feeling pretty bad about that decision, and that uncomfortable feeling has turned into a horrific ball of self loathing in the pit of my stomach.

I don't want to feel this way, or be made to feel this way, and maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but I just don't think it's alright to talk about how you "raped" (or were "raped by") a game. I don't even know what the hell that's meant to convey, did the game attack you, degrade you, damage you, give you post traumatic stress disorder? Did you need medical attention, therapy? Did you file a police report about the game?

What the fuck does that phrase bring to your description that any other phrase wouldn't, beyond making me think you're a goose?

Furthermore, I truly don't know that I particularly want to be part of a group where the people running the group are ok with that behaviour, either, and I know there were at least a few admins around at the time. Now...maybe I'm reading this whole situation wrong, and one of the admins already said something to the guy privately, or maybe I'm just not going to fit in with you guys so much, I don't know.

Either way, I'll probably be avoiding that chat for a while.

I can understand where you're coming from: the phenomenon you encountered is known as "hyperbole". In the case of the particular word you are on about, excessive use of the term has given way to desensitization: more than likely, the individual in question has never had any experience with rape, and doesn't know anyone that ever has.

Ignorance is bliss. I sincerely doubt you speaking up would have done much to change the individual in question's behavior, not that I imagine that will make you feel any better. Not playing with people like that is probably the best solution: I don't think most of the people playing would have enjoyed starting a discussion about what language is appropriate in a quasi-public setting such as a multiplayer game.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Using the word rape in context of performance in a video game is super immature and shitty behavior. Should have told them to knock it off.

I can see not wanting to get all up in their faces at the moment

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt you speaking up would have done much to change the individual in question's behavior, not that I imagine that will make you feel any better. Not playing with people like that is probably the best solution: I don't think most of the people playing would have enjoyed starting a discussion about what language is appropriate in a quasi-public setting such as a multiplayer game.

Eh. I used to be pretty fucking glib about that kind of speech, and I've reconsidered a lot while talking to people and reading things.

• Options
    And I think he might be talking about the Arma chat, not the in-game chat?

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt you speaking up would have done much to change the individual in question's behavior, not that I imagine that will make you feel any better. Not playing with people like that is probably the best solution: I don't think most of the people playing would have enjoyed starting a discussion about what language is appropriate in a quasi-public setting such as a multiplayer game.

Eh. I used to be pretty fucking glib about that kind of speech, and I've reconsidered a lot while talking to people and reading things.

That's good.

Considering other peoples' feelings and understanding you might not have important information about people you don't know well is a polite and courteous way to approach conversation.

But I mean polite and courteous is not really a huge deal for most people on the internet these days.

• Options
    Eh. I still don't know if he was talking about Arma chat or not. That context might suggest a better opportunity for discussion. I dunno.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Arma can get pretty... off color, to put it mildly, but I honestly haven't seen raped used in there, and I've been in the chat for quite a while. Who said that stuff, @Fyndir if you don't mind my asking?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, it was the Armadeadon chat I meant, it was someone going by the name "a small and cute panda cub" (I think, longer names are harder to remember exactly).

• Options
    Eh. I still don't know if he was talking about Arma chat or not. That context might suggest a better opportunity for discussion. I dunno.

Most people don't want to discuss the finer points of decorum while they are shooting zombies, even if you are objectively right and they give even a sliver of a fuck about other people anywhere in the world; and that's assuming they're man enough to own up to being wrong about it in the first place. Maybe the moral fiber of those dudes is exceptionally high, I don't know.

• Options
    Sarukun, for clarification, I'm talking about the Armadeaddon Steam group chat outside of the game.

• Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    I don't quite know the finer points of what happened but the guy you saw using "Rape" is an older member who usually says some questionable things. We've already made a stance on homophobia and racism in chat, but I don't think we've ever had a situation with Rape come up. The word doesn't particularly bother me but I understand why it would cause others such grief and I don't use it.

I'd hate to see you leave Deaddon, as we quite enjoyed having you there. If you want to talk about the situation some more feel free to PM me either here or on Steam. I want to make sure the members of my group are happy so long as it doesn't require too much bending over for the rest of the group. My window's open anytime.

• Options
    Well, that got stupid real fast.

Oh well.

• Options
    I love pub games.

Finale of Dead Center on Versus survivor side, we peek the bathrooms right at the start for items and I close the doors on the way out, one guy on the team is sitting further back down the corridor.

When he comes up to join the rest of us heading for the elevator, he opens those doors again for whatever reason in his head, and predictably the other team take advantage of the easy spawn to get a jockey in behind us and successfully grab me with it, walking me back into those bathrooms and putting me from 100 health to around 40 health.

Once we're in the elevator I laugh about it and comment on how leaving the doors closed would have been a better plan, dude freaks out and starts a kickvote against me, then when that fails he just starts shooting me. He gets me down, someone gets me up, he keeps going, someone gets me up again, and then he gets downed by the other team while I stagger off to heal since I was then black and white.

Rest of the round was spent with the other members of the team trying to save him from inside the elevator, and getting their asses kicked in the process, while the other team laugh at us.

8->

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    we need to play this later

• Options
    Hit me up on Steam if I'm online when you're putting a game together later, junkie, I'll totally play.

• Options
    you got it!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so apparently a patch to remove bullshit shortcuts in dead center created a new bullshit shortcut in the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFiLLReNrIw

• Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    PAGE 75

You are paralyzed with fear, but begin to muster the balls to start shaking your head no. The man before you looks confused as you continue to shuffle around uncomfortably as much as you are shaking your head.

“Are you having a seizure?” He inquires.

“N-no I, I just,” you swallow your fear for a moment. “I don’t think I’m really cut out for that line of work.” You quickly spit the words out like a bad canoli. The man’s look changes to sheer disappointment.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.” The man yanks the blade out of the invitation and slides it back into his sleeve, shaking his head.

“Most regrettable, but I understand.” He stands up from his booth seat and motions towards the door. “I am sorry to have wasted your time.” You zip up your coat and hurry for the door. Just as your hand touches the knob, a sharp pain explodes up your back, and suddenly the world gets a lot colder. You turn around to see the man from before, his right arm soaked with blood. Your blood. He leans in to help ease you to the floor as you lose the energy to stand up. The knife twists around in your back a little before he reaches for it and pulls it free, holding it just inches above your neck. He appears almost remorseful for what he has just done. You try to speak, your mind writing paragraph after paragraph of thoughts you want to communicate towards this bastard who is ending your life, but your brain is unable to deliver any of your words to the mouth for it to expel.

“Gurg-gurle” you spit out blood rather than even getting out a proper fuck you. The man shakes his head and presses the knife against your neck.

“I am sorry it had to be this way, this is not how I thought it would-”

END
    Oh Valve.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    we need to play this later

IT IS NOW "LATER"

@fyndir @thatdudeoverthere and anyone else come on let's shoot some zambies

• Options
    Hm, you waited until too much later, I am in the middle of DnD session.

I'll get on Steam and message you when the session is done, if you're still playing and have space I'll join you.

• Options
    sweetness

• Options
    New experience: Someone joined a pub game and was very loudly looping, when they were told this (by two people) they insisted we were lying.

A failed kick vote and a whole round of noise later they come out with 'its not my fault there is a speaker i dont have and i get kiked from every game!'.

How do you NOT spend five minutes sorting out an easy problem like that if people shout at you and kick you from every single game because of it?

:lol:

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hey who wants to play this with Fyndir and myself?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Hey who wants to play this with Fyndir and myself?

Come on, people, don't be scared.

I mean, I know me and Tef are the proest of the pros, but we'll go easy on you!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh go on then :P

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    shit sorry @snicketysnick :(

what's your ID for next time?

good times there @fyndir, even if we are fucking hopeless

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    shit sorry @snicketysnick :(

what's your ID for next time?

good times there @fyndir, even if we are fucking hopeless

"the tank's dead, you can get me up now."

*tank smashes everyone*

• Options
    I'm only calling you a silly goose because I have to

:P

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    's coo <3

I'm in the steam se++ group somewhere I think, names the same as here.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

"I'm a racecar! VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooommmmm"

• Options
    's coo <3

I'm in the steam se++ group somewhere I think, names the same as here.

no worries I'll look you up or you can just add me, my link's in my sig
    Fyndir wrote: »

"I'm a racecar! VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooommmmm"

hahaha, the winning strategy!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    @Fyndir, @Tef, I wish you fine fellows would've been around for the drunk 4 dead we had going last night.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    aww nuts sorry I missed it. Where do you live Skeith?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Setting up a VS Lobby with Tef again, any and all welcome, grab me on Steam (same name as here) if you want in. <3