As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Where are those damn Assassistants?)

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Assassin%27s_Creed.jpg
Assassin's Creed is a sandbox style action-adventure game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. The game was released for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in November 2007 and for PC in April 2008.
The game centers around use of a machine dubbed the "Animus", which allows its user to view the genetic memories of his or her ancestors, specifically a bartender named Desmond Miles. As Desmond relives the memories of one of his ancestors, the Assassin Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad who lived in the Holy Land during the Third Crusade, details of a battle between two ancient sects, the Knights Templar and the Assassins, emerge as both scour for an artifact known only as a "Piece of Eden".
The game received primarily positive reviews, for both its story and its gameplay, and received several awards at the 2006 E3. In November 2009, Assassin's Creed II was released as a sequel.
assassins_creed_2_cover.jpg
Assassin’s Creed II is a sandbox- style action-adventure video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It was released on November 17, 2009 (US), November 19, 2009 (AU) and November 20, 2009 (worldwide) on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The PC version was released on March 6, 2010 (UK) and March 9, 2010 (US).
A direct sequel to Assassin’s Creed, the game is focused again on Desmond Miles after he escapes Abstergo Industries with employee Lucy Stillman. In an attempt to thwart Abstergo and the modern-day Templars, Desmond uses a device almost identical to the Animus to relive the genetic memories of his ancestor, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, who lived in Italy during the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. The player controls Desmond, to a degree, but primarily Ezio, who becomes an Assassin after his family is betrayed. While controlling Ezio, the player can explore renditions of major Italian regions and cities through a mixture of action, stealth, and economic gameplay.
A direct sequel called Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will be released in the Fall of 2010.
500x500.jpg
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is the direct sequel of 2009's Assassin's Creed II. Featuring Ezio Auditore da Firenze once again, the game pictures him, now a legendary Master Assassin, leading his newly found brotherhood in a hunt for Templars in Rome. This is also the first game of the series to include a multiplayer mode of any kind.

Brotherhood Multiplayer
The players are Templars in training at the Abstergo facility. They use the animi (plural for animus) seen at the beginning of Assassin's Creed II to access memories of Assassins and to acquire their skills using the "bleeding effect". There are four game modes and different maps, including the areas from the first and the second game like Florence, as well as new maps like Rome, Castel Gandolfo and Siena. The gameplay in multiplayer mode is similar to the core gameplay of the series, as players are required to use their assassination and stealth skills. Players earn points by completing each assassination without being detected and escaping after each kill. Breaking cover makes the player visible to other gamers and makes them easier to assassinate. The training consists of stalking and killing one another. The area in which the Templar Assassins train is selected manualy, as pre-set maps. The multiplayer mode also includes a leveling system, which allows players to unlock rewards by earning experience points during the matches and gaining new levels. Players can then unlock abilities, perks and streaks. Abilities are active skills, which can be used again only after a cooldown time. Perks are passive skills, which can be equipped before the match and they are active all the time. Streaks are bonuses awarded for reaching certain number of successful or failed contracts.
Brotherhood Assassin training
Controlling the Assassins
During the game you will have the option of sending Assassins to different areas to complete tasks. You will have the ability to send new assassins to other European countries and complete missions to gain status. Once they have proven themselves effectively, they can accompany you on missions in Rome. The new assassins are recruited when Ezio rescues them from harassing guards, which leads them to join the Assassins. You can have the ability to train young Assassins and have them do jobs for you.
If an Assassin fails to pass a mission, he can't be used again. You can also customize the assassins' armor and weaponry, and each one has a different personality. Later on you can use experience points they've gained to upgrade their fighting and free-running abilities.
So far it's known that you will be able to train at least, twelve assassins, male or female, at a time and possibly bring up to five including the "personal assassin" on missions.
Also, a comic about Assassin's Creed in Russia, based in Russian Revolution, on a previous master assassin named Nikolai Orelov. He is the ancestor of animus test subject Daniel Cross.

So discuss Assassin's Creed's Games, Lore, Secrets, and things Assassin's Creed related.

T4ct done made a 360 meta tag: PA Brotherhood

PSN player list
PessimistMaximus
Kabzilla
Binglesthecat
sojakfa
more to come once you people pm me

Kadoken on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So looking forward to Brotherhood

AC2 was one of my favorite games last year

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My name is Ezio Auditore da Firenze and I'm putting together a special team, and I need me twelve assassins. We're gonna be dropped into Rome, dressed as civilians. And once we're in enemy territory, as a bushwhackin' guerrilla army, we're gonna be doin' one thing and one thing only... killin' Templars.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck Ubisoft's retarded DRM. I shouldn't be penalized for having a spotty internet connection just because their shareholders are retarded and paranoid.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    PlainclothesmanPlainclothesman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Been replaying the first AC lately. Ignoring how painfully inferior its gameplay is compared to the sequel, I think I like the tone of its story better.

I missed the assassination monologues, damn it.

Plainclothesman on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I recently bought a computer that came included with a promotional code for (free) AC2, and I don't think it worked. What's my best course of action here

totally related

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    PlainclothesmanPlainclothesman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Feels Good Man you should write your local congressperson

Where were you meant to redeem it?

Plainclothesman on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a little disappointed that we're not getting a new setting.

But then when I think about it, the setting in AC2 was amazing and the multiplayer sounds like good times indeed.

Although, I really really really hope they're working on a co-op mode. What with Ezio being able to recruit other Asassins, and take them on jobs with him. I can hope!

Co-op AC2 would be incredible.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Feels Good Man you should write your local congressperson

Where were you meant to redeem it?

fuck it, I'm going straight to the honorable Governor Bobby Jindal with this matter.

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_US/pd/productID.180122400

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you have an Xbox Live Gold membership, all of the AC2 DLC is on sale this week.

From Cheap Ass Gamer:
    July 19th: "Assassin's Creed II" GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
    -Sequence 12: Battle of Forli - 240 Microsoft Points - 25% off
    -Sequence 13: Bonfire of the Vanities - 240 Microsoft Points - 25% off
    -Sequence 13: w/ 3 Secret Locations (Palazzo Medici, Santa Maria Dei Frari, and the Arsenal Shipyard) - 400 Microsoft Points - 28.6% off
    -Flying Machine (Avatar Prop) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
    -Guard Armor (Avatar Gear) - 240 Microsoft Points - 40% off

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We all know Assassins Creed 3 is probaly coming out in 2012, but I don't think that the series should end there, unless we get to see Desmond actually fighting Abstergo in the present time. After Assassins Creed 3, I think they should make a new trilogy, maybe something named "Assassins Creed: Desmond Chronicles" that takes place in the present. The only problem is the gameplay formula for the AC series might not work with the present. Plus, you have to factor in things like guns that come with a present setting. It may seem stupid, but they would probaly have to do a more Splinter Cell type of stealth, instead of blending in crowds, you have to sneak around in the dark. Unless you can steal clothes from maybe Abstergo employees to disguise yourself and blend in, thats the only way I see something like that happening.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ehh, I'm thinking AC3 is 2011 holiday or 2012 for sure.

No way are they not going to try to do this every year. There's just too much money involved.

Brotherhood is cut content, then the real game 2011, then cut content 2012, and I'd chain it too if I was the CEO.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    they said no AC in 2011

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, an associate producer that's not in charge of making any real decisions said his opinion was that they shouldn't release an AC in 2011.

Big difference.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Been replaying the first AC lately. Ignoring how painfully inferior its gameplay is compared to the sequel, I think I like the tone of its story better.

I missed the assassination monologues, damn it.

AC2 has the ups in gameplay. I also like the main character more, but not too much more.

AC1's setting is far superior, and Ezio's levity does permeate the tone in 2 so I agree that 1's overall mood is better (more serious).

Ideally AC3 has a setting I like (preferably more ancient, but I have a feeling they're moving forward in time) with a main character halfway between Ezio and Altair, with the gameplay mechanics of 2.

Personally, and this is going to sound really messed up, but I liked the contained structure of the first one's Assassinations. I guess I'm saying two's structure was too flowing? That doesn't make sense but hey. I just liked the connection you sort of had with the target that culminated in the death conversation.

Also I'm so glad someone made this thread because I was nervous about doing an OP that didn't suck but I really wanted to talk AC 'cause I just beat 2. Finally.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Assassin's Creed II is definitely a phenomenal game. However, I've never played the original AC due to complaints about its repetitive missions and low replay value, but I plan to purchase a copy as I'm sure it's being offered for a reasonable price now.

I'm also eagerly looking forward to AC2:Brotherhood, and I'm hoping that the Ubisoft Montreal team manages to do a phenomenal job with its development.

Prisca on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The main thing I noted about the combat in brother hood in that demo, aside from only needing one hit before you can instant kill them, is that whenever an enemy was doing it's cowering thing he would do a leaping stab thing into their face and kill them instantly.
    which totally reminded me of being able to shock and awe kill enemies doing the same in assassin's creed 1 with the hidden blade, only it looks like you'll be able to do it with the sword too.
    I can't wait.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm hoping for more freedom in the approach to killing a target.

Somewhere between Hitman and AC2 lies perfection

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also what's the point in using anything other than hidden blades to fight in AC2? They seem pretty darn killy to me

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still using the Ubi-online stuff. Thats a damned shame.

I'm still craving AC2 something fierce, because I loved AC1 (even in the moments I hated it, I loved it).

Hopefully they toss away their silliness sometime in the upcoming years and do some re-releases, because Brotherhood looks all types of great.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Also what's the point in using anything other than hidden blades to fight in AC2? They seem pretty darn killy to me

Other kill animations

(not even kidding)
    Also the timing for the hidden blades is slightly more precise than the other weapons for counter-kills, the tradeoff being of course that they're lethal every time even against large or long weapon types

in my experience it appears to be sword->dagger->disarm->hb for ease of counter

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

Other kill animations

(not even kidding)
    Also the timing for the hidden blades is slightly more precise than the other weapons for counter-kills, the tradeoff being of course that they're lethal every time even against large or long weapon types

mmm... In my very limited experience I found hidden blade counters to be the easiest, or maybe I just thought they were the easiest because they always worked.

I would be pretty happy if they make it so trying to fight four guys at once is a bad idea, but this is obviously not the route they want to take.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited July 2010

Other kill animations

(not even kidding)

mmm... In my very limited experience I found hidden blade counters to be the easiest, or maybe I just thought they were the easiest because they always worked.

I would be pretty happy if they make it so trying to fight four guys at once is a bad idea, but this is obviously not the route they want to take.

they're making things faster, but I guess that they're trying to convey Ezio's skill when they set him up against hordes

Gun-integrated combat in Brotherhood looks pretty sweet, but I'm very worried about how it'll translate to AC3 with advancement in time. I'm really not interested in this becoming a shoot-'em-up.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Assassins Creed games are some of the only open world games I've managed to finish, simply because they're so different. So looking forward to Brotherhood.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The Assassins Creed games are some of the only open world games I've managed to finish, simply because they're so different. So looking forward to Brotherhood.

Loki you have interesting tastes and I respect you for it

I remember reading you in some threads and being all "whoa that mothafucka is trippin' "

but in the GW threads and this one I'm like "yeah, das my boy right there"

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i don't understand concerns about guns in AC

done properly, it could be the raddest thing ever

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    -Tal wrote: »

that's my concern right there

Kazaka on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Other kill animations

(not even kidding)

Pity you weren't kidding because all the weapons have different properties.

For example, a sword with a high deflection rating will allow you to get a clean hit on an attacking enemy if you deflect his attack and attack back with the right timing. A clean hit on any enemy (as in they don't put up their sword at all but get hit properly) will always be followed by a "death kill" animation with the weapon you are holding. The timing for this is tight, you must attack after Ezio has shifted their blade off to the side, not before or after.
    It's impossible to do this with the hidden blades, their deflection rating is one. Their damage never gets upgraded and their numero uno trick is counter kills. Very very good if you can get the hang of it, but that's all she wrote.

The dagger has the longest counter window, sword and fists are equal, hb is the shortest.

The two handed weapons always kill on a counter (you lose the weapon), and they also can do the deflection -> clean hit -> kill animation.
    The spears can knock down people when you get the ability, allowing you to stab them on the ground.
    The two handed weapons (sword/axe) let you smash people through their guard and when fully charged this smash lets you knock weapons out of their hands just like they can to you.

Maces are harder for enemies to deflect, thus easier to punch through defences and get kills on. If you like to whack at people until they fall and not think too hard about any of this countering business, maces are your weapon.

As soon as you get your hands on a 4 star deflection weapon though, you can kill any number of guards with the deflection->clean hit->kill animation technique regardless of how high health they have and not get touched.

Throwing daggers are the strongest weapon btw. Two daggers kills any (non boss) enemy regardless of health, one kills a normal guard. Just dodge and throw daggers and you can massacre a whole pack of guards in seconds with hardly any effort. I killed the second last boss fight this way. I strafed backwards and then threw daggers at him until he died. My gf who was watching at the time was like "Wow, that's like cheating".

Btw if anyone is interested in how to get fist finishers guaranteed, the best way to get them reliably is if the guard is staggering and has very low health. The best way to get this to happen is to dodge -> punch them a couple of times, then disarm them, immediately drop the weapon and attack with fists. When enemies are low on health, they stay staggered after a disarm long enough to drop the weapon and do a fist finisher.
    Another way is to throw them to the ground then circle around behind them. When they get up their back is towards you, so you can do the back fist finishers.
    I like to beat the hell out of guards on rooftops instead of killing them, very Batman-ish.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Other kill animations

(not even kidding)

For example, a sword with a high deflection rating will allow you to get a clean hit on an attacking enemy if you deflect his attack and attack back with the right timing. A clean hit on any enemy (as in they don't put up their sword at all but get hit properly) will always be followed by a "death kill" animation with the weapon you are holding. The timing for this is tight, you must attack after Ezio has shifted their blade off to the side, not before or after.
    It's impossible to do this with the hidden blades, their deflection rating is one. Their damage never gets upgraded and their numero uno trick is counter kills. Very very good if you can get the hang of it, but that's all she wrote.

The dagger has the longest counter window, sword and fists are equal, hb is the shortest.

The two handed weapons always kill on a counter (you lose the weapon), and they also can do the deflection -> clean hit -> kill animation.
    The spears can knock down people when you get the ability, allowing you to stab them on the ground.
    The two handed weapons let you smash people through their guard and when fully charged this smash lets you knock weapons out of their hands just like they can to you.

Maces are harder for enemies to deflect, thus easier to punch through defences and get kills on. If you like to whack at people until they fall and not think too hard about any of this countering business, maces are your weapon.

As soon as you get your hands on a 4 star deflection weapon though, you can kill any number of guards with the deflection->clean hit->kill animation technique regardless of how high health they have and not get touched.

Welp

looks like I have been sized as the youths like to say

Pity there's not a harder difficulty of combat for this game, I'd like to flex the system as you appear to have done but I don't really dig if there's no motivation

I like the mechanics, but I'm really never in danger. I can just win if I feel like it.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

We already had a gun in AC. I thought it was done really well. A longer ranger alternative to the already ridiculous medieval railgun (throwing knives), but noisy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

We already had a gun in AC. I thought it was done really well. A longer ranger alternative to the already ridiculous medieval railgun (throwing knives), but noisy.

The gun was good, because it was single shot, took time to aim, and had limited ammunition. It didn't break combat because it wasn't vastly superior to edged weapons.

However as AC approaches modern technology, edged weapons will fall in comparative usefulness. I already was feeling pretty weird about the supposedly tech-hungry modern templars using batons to attack people whose reputations are cultivated around their ability to fucking kill you. I want to stab folks. If you mix some stylish shooting in there, cool, let's rock. If this becomes a generic third-person shooter, I'll be pretty unhyped.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you've played Splinter Cell, right?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you've played Splinter Cell, right?

Man I just finished Splinter Cell: Convictions

I quite enjoyed it actually, 'specially the Deniable Ops Hunter things

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Other kill animations

(not even kidding)

The two handed weapons let you smash people through their guard and when fully charged this smash lets you knock weapons out of their hands just like they can to you.

Welp

looks like I have been sized as the youths like to say

Pity there's not a harder difficulty of combat for this game, I'd like to flex the system as you appear to have done but I don't really dig if there's no motivation

I like the mechanics, but I'm really never in danger. I can just win if I feel like it.

I just like to figure out the mechanics of games like these. It's a hobby. Soon as I started playing I was figuring out how all the combat worked.

When I first got disarm I was running around the rooftops like a kiddy schoolboy with a new toy picking fights with archers, taking their weapons away and forcing them to fistfight.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The gun was good, because it was single shot, took time to aim, and had limited ammunition. It didn't break combat because it wasn't vastly superior to edged weapons.

However as AC approaches modern technology, edged weapons will fall in comparative usefulness. I already was feeling pretty weird about the supposedly tech-hungry modern templars using batons to attack people whose reputations are cultivated around their ability to fucking kill you. I want to stab folks. If you mix some stylish shooting in there, cool, let's rock. If this becomes a generic third-person shooter, I'll be pretty unhyped.

I honestly can't see the game ever going modern day for the primary gameplay. The difficulties are too huge for the type of free movement the game uses. Like the social stealth - someone sneaking in and around groups of people these days raises suspicion. Like the free running - it was fine in ancient cities where the buildings are all designed to be ornate. It made for good climbing surfaces. Modern cities? How are we meant to climb a 30 story, smooth glass building?

It's a fun idea to throw around, but the gameplay as it is just doesn't lend itself to a modern timeframe for the main gameplay.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't really see modern day assassin's creed happening either Loki.

End game Story spoiler for ac2.
    I was thinking that if they did, they'd limit it to going into the temples they mention at the end. They're supposed to be scattered all over the world, so I can see you going back and finding out how to work the mechanisms of each one in the animus, then switching back and entering the temple, which would either be mostly empty like those tombs in ac2 or have templars in them with orders not to kill you (which would be awkward).

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh Morninglord, where would we be without your obsessive study of combat systems?

less informed, that's where.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm concerned that they'll have to address Desmond's time eventually for story purposes. Can't forget the fact that the threat is current-time Templars, not past ones. Even though we play the game mainly in Desmond's memories, and get involved in plots there, we have to remember they're actually mostly subplots with little relevance to the unifying main story. Not to say that they're uninteresting, but Ubi will have to eventually close things out in the present.

Speaking of Templars, where's their strong leader? I need a Robert De Sable, a Borgia. All we get is a condescending scientist.

EDIT: I also sadistically force weak enemies to fistfight me. High5 Morninglord.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you want to see a real trick.
    You can keep on hb stabbing dudes for a really long time if you manage to initiate the next kill as soon as you finish the last one.

Like, you can walk up and stab two guards in a group of 4 then immediately stab the last 2.

I've managed to kill 8 guards this way. Two low profile standing double stabs, then a jumping double stab, and then I had to sort of run up a wall quickly to get over the falling bodies of the previous guys to get at the last couple and do a wall jump double stab.

The way it works is you can always do the hidden blade kills on enemies not "locked on" to Ezio. Soon as they lock on properly and stuff, Ezio will do the standard hb attack animation instead.

If you throw a smoke bomb, all guards are staggered. You can throw a bomb and just start going stab happy on everybody. Smoke bombs are op.

Oh yeah, and if you strafe behind somebody as they take a swipe at you and attack fast enough, you get the back kill animation. Can be handy to remember sometimes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Suction cups and grappling hooks!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm concerned that they'll have to address Desmond's time eventually for story purposes. Can't forget the fact that the threat is current-time Templars, not past ones. Even though we play the game mainly in Desmond's memories, and get involved in plots there, we have to remember they're actually mostly subplots with little relevance to the unifying main story. Not to say that they're uninteresting, but Ubi will have to eventually close things out in the present.

Well, regarding the AC2 ending...
    The assault on the Assassin hideout was done by people attacking in melee. They could have stormed the place with guns, but they went in for some good old fashioned fisticuffs. It's not a stretch to guess that if we ever do anything in Desmonds time regarding the Templars, they'll be equally as unlikely to use guns in any huge sense. I think the end set that up nicely - it may be the future, but the Templars and Assassins still settle things like men.

-Loki- on