As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wetshaving and safety razors

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The barber we used to go as a kid would finish off your haircut by shaving your neck with a straightrazor.

He was probably the last barber within miles that knew how to do it.

I never understood how anyone managed to get by with only going to the barber for shaves. Did they go to the barber every single morning for a shave? Or did they just go once a week and spend most of the week with scraggly beard growth?

DID anyone?

My impression is more that you would get a professional shave when you got your haircut, and shave yourself on other days.

It is more of a treat for yourself, since you are already in the chair.
    I guess that would make more sense. But then everyone would have to know how to shave themselves with a straight razor, and keep it sharp. I guess they went to a blacksmith to get it sharpened?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The barber we used to go as a kid would finish off your haircut by shaving your neck with a straightrazor.

I never understood how anyone managed to get by with only going to the barber for shaves. Did they go to the barber every single morning for a shave? Or did they just go once a week and spend most of the week with scraggly beard growth?

DID anyone?

My impression is more that you would get a professional shave when you got your haircut, and shave yourself on other days.

I guess that would make more sense. But then everyone would have to know how to shave themselves with a straight razor, and keep it sharp. I guess they went to a blacksmith to get it sharpened?

how long ago were we talking? I mean, I was thinking about a hundred years ago, not five hundred.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

how long ago were we talking? I mean, I was thinking about a hundred years ago, not five hundred.
    Either way would be the same, wouldn't it? They still had blacksmiths 100 years ago, and I don't think there were any disposable blades yet. Although I'm guessing that, 500 years go, most people just didn't shave at all.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

Either way would be the same, wouldn't it? They still had blacksmiths 100 years ago, and I don't think there were any disposable blades yet. Although I'm guessing that, 500 years go, most people just didn't shave at all.

People had their own strops and sharpening stones.

I learned how to sharpen a knife blade in the boyscouts, a dozen or so years ago. It is not a new concept.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

I learned how to sharpen a knife blade in the boyscouts, a dozen or so years ago. It is not a new concept.
    sharpening a razor blade is a lot more difficult than sharpening a pocket knife, though.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

sharpening a razor blade is a lot more difficult than sharpening a pocket knife, though.

And we're talking about adults doing it, not children.

Seriously, tons of people do it on their own today. why would it be any different in the past?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

And we're talking about adults doing it, not children.

Seriously, tons of people do it on their own today. why would it be any different in the past?
    Yeah I guess so. I've never tried it so I have no idea how hard it would be.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I mean, everyone we are talking about here takes a razor sharp blade to their face and doesn't cause significant accidental damage. presumably if you have a steady enough hand to shave, you have a steady enough hand to sharpen

Evander on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I use the back of an electric razor because I don't shave often enough.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    About to order a Merkur Vision. This thread will get expensive, won't it?

Well, the upfront cost is there, but the thing is that you will save money in the long run. If you're like me, a lot of money. My whole new setup - razor, soap, brush and 20 blades - cost me than less than 50 dollars. Sure, that's a bit when you're already shaving and have the gear you do. But each set of five cartridges for my old razor was 30 dollars. Suddenly it wasn't so hard to justify that instead of spending that, I just ordered an entire set that should last me much, much longer.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

When I was back in Seattle i was discussing with my barber there about how wonderful a barbershop straight razor shave is, having had one do that for me in Mass once.

And I was then informed that such shaving is illegal in WA :(

Edit: Full disclosure. I love my Merkur Futur. It would be nicer with a more rough handle, but the thing is nearly 5 OZ which makes up for it.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Visti wrote: »

Well, the upfront cost is there, but the thing is that you will save money in the long run. If you're like me, a lot of money. My whole new setup - razor, soap, brush and 20 blades - cost me than less than 50 dollars. Sure, that's a bit when you're already shaving and have the gear you do. But each set of five cartridges for my old razor was 30 dollars. Suddenly it wasn't so hard to justify that instead of spending that, I just ordered an entire set that should last me much, much longer.

Where did you find such a set and which razor did you use?

I'm looking at a Merkur 38C, it seems to be generally accepted as a good time. Is it essentially to get shaving soap and a badger brush? I have some other gels that would need to be used up anyhow.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Throw the gels away.
    A badger brush is more of a luxury (seriously, mine is awesome soft) than a requirement for a good shave. Get a non-shitty boar brush and you'll be fine, buy the badger brush if/when you say, "ya know, I'd like a nice soft luxurious brush..." Hell, I'm tempted to buy a boar brush to see if its' stiff bristles help.
    You don't need to get soap, you can also get a shaving cream (not aerosol). Consider getting a non-glycerin soap. For instance, Col. Conk is a soli and cheap brand, but I freaking love my Lanolin and Shea Butter based soaps.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Visti wrote: »

Where did you find such a set and which razor did you use?

I'm looking at a Merkur 38C, it seems to be generally accepted as a good time. Is it essentially to get shaving soap and a badger brush? I have some other gels that would need to be used up anyhow.

It wasn't a set per se, but rather just the shaving set I assembled. It was indeed the 38C, a proraso shaving soap (the cream is the same prize and generally supposed to be better) and the blades were a 20 pack of Derby Extras (besides the ones the razor came with). I remember now that I actually had a brush, but it broke last night and I just got me a new "badger-mix" brush (whatever that is, probably synthetic). All new and I'm pretty sure I haven't cracked 50 dollars yet.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

Are you fucking kidding me? People back then were just as smart as we are today, we just have more information at our disposal. Man has been shaving since ancient cultures. 100 years ago I'll wager most men knew how to hone a blade. Everyone did not have a beard.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

DID anyone?

Are you fucking kidding me? People back then were just as smart as we are today, we just have more information at our disposal. Man has been shaving since ancient cultures. 100 years ago I'll wager most men knew how to hone a blade. Everyone did not have a beard.

well, people in the middle ages were not known for having great personal hygeine, and most people then were farmers, so why would they even care? Plus it's a lot harder to shave when you have to bring up water from a well, and shave by candlelight if you wake up before the sun comes up.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They didn't have good personal hygiene because they didn't know any better. They knew how to shave. Also, not everyone shaves in the morning, that is not a requirement for shaving. Also, most houses had supplies of water they would draw from so that they didn't have to go to the well every time they needed some, I'd suspect. And yea, I bet its a bitch to do anything by candlelight but hey, people living in desolate parts of the world still don't have electricity and yet they manage to shave.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also 500 years ago people didn't shave? That's just not true. In the 1500s even women shaved. Well, their eyebrows, but still. Later they would shave their heads entirely to accommodate increasingly ridiculous wigs. Even the Aztecs shaved with sharp volcanic rock. The straight-razor is from when? Late 1600s or something like that?

Anyway, no further derailment of the thread.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nonsense, further derailment ahoi! Consider, the word barbarian means bearded ones. In ancient Greek times that was the mark of an underdeveloped society; they hadn't yet development technology to make razor sharp blades. We have evidence of copper razors (India, Egypt) going back as far as 3000 BC. Alexander the Great insisted that all his troops shaved.

And finally, here's an imagine of a Roman razor ("novacila") to haunt your dreams.
    iron_novacila_shaving_razor.jpg

enc0re on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Every barber here gives a shave as part of the service.

I've never used it. I just can't get used to some bloke putting a straight razor to my throat.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think a discussion of the historical accuracy of shaving is off-topic.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Throw the gels away.
    A badger brush is more of a luxury (seriously, mine is awesome soft) than a requirement for a good shave. Get a non-shitty boar brush and you'll be fine, buy the badger brush if/when you say, "ya know, I'd like a nice soft luxurious brush..." Hell, I'm tempted to buy a boar brush to see if its' stiff bristles help.
    You don't need to get soap, you can also get a shaving cream (not aerosol). Consider getting a non-glycerin soap. For instance, Col. Conk is a soli and cheap brand, but I freaking love my Lanolin and Shea Butter based soaps.

I already have some pretty damn nice shaving creams too. It's all real shave company stuff, which I have found dramatically improved my shave, but it's never all that close, which is why I'm making the swap.

I'm just trying to find a decent price on a 38C, it's looking at about £37, which seems a bit much.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You don't need a 38C. Check ebay for some neat vintage ones, or as I mentioned a few pages back, check BadgerAndBalde's BST forum. You can get some great equipment from those guys. They are serious collectors who have a ton of stuff.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Throw the gels away.

I already have some pretty damn nice shaving creams too. It's all real shave company stuff, which I have found dramatically improved my shave, but it's never all that close, which is why I'm making the swap.

I'm just trying to find a decent price on a 38C, it's looking at about £37, which seems a bit much.

Since you're listing the price in pounds, maybe this would be of interest?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the noble intentions guys. Sadly you're helpful advice and links comes far too late. I have just placed an order.

Coming soon: Heavily wounded Mojo

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that people in the past couldn't sharpen a blade. Most people nowadays can't work on their own cars, but you can bet your grandfather knew how to do routine maintenance.

wallaka on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My fist straight razor shave (the day before I got married)
    l_5333cf8c03251ae6f93569ae5db112a3.jpg
    l_3024a541bc907a960fd7419825133a3b.jpg
    l_a74a630273645de0c6652573f772375b.jpg
    l_be21263337207445730d4911af4aedaa.jpg
    l_de544f9818898b6da8366b1e9103e007.jpg
    l_1160cfb4b9e5ee4937b241e4fb5fe98e.jpg
    The first time came be a little frightening, but soon enough you will relax and enjoy it. :winky:

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first time came be a little frightening, but soon enough you will relax and enjoy it. :winky:

I'm pretty sure I would have been terrified to have a dude with prison tats taking a blade to my face/throat.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm pretty sure I would have been terrified to have a dude with prison tats taking a blade to my face/throat.

Come on now. Prison tats?

edit: And nobody is touching my face with a blade even if it's a 50 year old nice old man who's been a barber his whole life.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

edit: And nobody is touching my face with a blade even if it's a 50 year old nice old man who's been a barber his whole life.

Fine.

Gang tats.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Fine.

Gang tats.

"The Barbers" territory - corner of 8th & Main.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thank you for reviving the shaving thread.

Bought an old Gillette SS for 8 bucks on ebay. Proraso cream, and an omega badger brush. I initially bought the blade sampler pack from west coast shaving and I took to the red personnas. Then one day, I'm at walmart and notice they have a knock-off brand personna pack of 10 blades for like $1.70. They work like a charm, and have been using them ever since.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hipster tats.
    2299839484_d0ccd177e9.jpg
    which is in fact the store policy.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hipster tats.
    2299839484_d0ccd177e9.jpg
    which is in fact the store policy.

Or... that could be his policy as a drug dealer.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The last barber I went to who knew how to shave me with a straight-razor stopped doing it once I saw how bad he had the DTs. You'd just see that little glint of metal in your peripheral vision shaking like mad and it'd be like, "nope, I can do that." He seemed kinda sad when we turned him down.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Most barbers I've visited in the UK finish the edges with a straight razor. It's quite nice.

I've not been for a haircut in years though.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

The last barber I went to who knew how to shave me with a straight-razor stopped doing it once I saw how bad he had the DTs. You'd just see that little glint of metal in your peripheral vision shaking like mad and it'd be like, "nope, I can do that." He seemed kinda sad when we turned him down.

Recently I toyed with the idea of opening a nice barbershop for straight shaving. I didn't apply myself to the task, but in a short weekly search I couldn't find a barber who didn't suffer from serious alcohol addiction.
    Good barbers are a dying breed and I'm honestly not sure if I'd feel comfortable with somebody young shaving me.

Edit: To be more precise, barbershops are virtually extinct where I am, so finding an actual barber was trickier than it sounds.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    someday i will do this real shaving thing

i've been using the same norelco electric for the last... 7 years probably. i changed the blades once. oh well. least it has saved me so much money.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are a few barbershops around here, but they're either very redneck or they're in a part of town that is... unwelcoming.

Frankly, the best haircuts I can get in this town for the best prices are in the Vietnamese areas. They don't have barbershops (or at least if they there, they aren't labeled), but the hairdressers are pretty good at giving me a clean, consistent haircut. I'm not going to be able to get any Flock of Seagulls shit going on, but for a $5~$10 haircut... what the hell do you expect?

GungHo on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

Recently I toyed with the idea of opening a nice barbershop for straight shaving. I didn't apply myself to the task, but in a short weekly search I couldn't find a barber who didn't suffer from serious alcohol addiction.
    Good barbers are a dying breed and I'm honestly not sure if I'd feel comfortable with somebody young shaving me.

Edit: To be more precise, barbershops are virtually extinct where I am, so finding an actual barber was trickier than it sounds.

Yeah, everyone these days is a "hairstylist."

I've been going to the same Barber for 9 years. He's in the Student Union of the university I work at. I don't think he's close to retiring yet but I hope to God he doesn't anytime soon. Don't know what I would do. I really like being able to go and get a haircut without telling him how I want my hair cut at all.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.