As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games that are like farmville?

INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teethRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
okay my mom just asked me if she could borrow my debit card to buy money in farmville. she was going to pay me the cash but i told her no, i wasn't going to let her buy fake money with my debit card.

she is curious if there are other farming-type games out there for the PC (specifically PC) that maybe don't exist purely to siphon money out of the pockets of people with bad impulse control. i offered her Harvest Moon but she doesn't want to play console games (because we've got Harvest Moons here for SNES, n64, game cube, DS that we could set up on her TV but nooo)

any ideas?

INeedNoSalt on

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    okay my mom just asked me if she could borrow my debit card to buy money in farmville. she was going to pay me the cash but i told her no, i wasn't going to let her buy fake money with my debit card.

she is curious if there are other farming-type games out there for the PC (specifically PC) that maybe don't exist purely to siphon money out of the pockets of people with bad impulse control. i offered her Harvest Moon but she doesn't want to play console games (because we've got Harvest Moons here for SNES, n64, game cube, DS that we could set up on her TV but nooo)

any ideas?

Monarchy

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's Zombie Farm, but I believe that's iPhone only. :(

3drage on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The table-top board game Agricola is infinitely more complex and fun. Possibly frustrating, as it's not just 'click click click', and it's multi player, so you need a 2-5 people to make it work.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The correct answer is to force her to play Harvest Moon on a console.

Failing that, you could try SimFarm.

corky842 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, she'd love Animal Crossing more than Harvest Moon. In fact, if you put a DS with Animal Crossing in her hands, it'd probably only take a few minutes before she was hooked.

How about you show her some youtube videos of the console games to show her what she's missing?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not an expert, but I think Facebook games like Farmville tend to be more reward-oriented than Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing. The steady "ding" along the lines of World of Warcraft or Diablo keeps people playing, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that some people aren't interested in killing monsters for that hit of gratification. Maybe she could branch out into other Facebook games and keep a few going at once?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Animal Crossing is pretty reward-oriented. It's oriented around planting shit and collecting items, just like Farmville.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Animal Crossing is pretty reward-oriented. It's oriented around planting shit and collecting items, just like Farmville.

Hey cool, we have Animal Crossing for GameCube (I offered to set it up on her bedroom TV and seems to be into that idea) so maybe that'll work

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

It is, but broadly speaking Diablo and Icewind Dale have similar reward systems but the former is much more optimized for addiction. Or WoW and nearly any other MMORPG. From what I've played and seen of Animal Crossing and Farmville, it seems to me that you're expected to some extent to find your own fun in AC, exploring and finding interesting things hidden in the game, while Farmville is more about a steady stream of gratification triggers making it clear that you're progressing and opening doors to progress even further.

Wouldn't hurt to try, though.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    A slightly different take on planting things for rewards, but I'm STILL way into Plants vs. Zombies. It's a tower defense game so it's pretty different from something like farmville, but killing zombies is definitely a fun thing to do with a catapult that hurls frozen watermelons.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    A slightly different take on planting things for rewards, but I'm STILL way into Plants vs. Zombies. It's a tower defense game so it's pretty different from something like farmville, but killing zombies is definitely a fun thing to do with a catapult that hurls frozen watermelons.

This game popped into my head too, no idea why. If anything, it's solid entertainment for a few hours a day for a month or so.

Also, AC for the Gamecube is spot on; she's probably not going to care about graphics as much, and I feel it's the most solid AC out of the three; granted, online connectivity is nice, but for now if you can get her into it Animal Crossing will dig deep into the OCD cracks of her mind and liquidate all brain cells.

Because it happened to me. For the better part of a year. I got help.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just browsing steam I see a lot of games I would never buy but that are simple non-violent simulations like Build-A-lot or Coconut Queen or simple zoo or diaper dash. They are mostly under $10 which is a lot cheaper then farmville probably is.

Spoiler-ed for possibly useless info that your still free to read, mostly personal opinions:
    One problem with farm ville is that it also has facebook integration so social networking not only ties into it but also promotes its use. There are lots of free online multi-player building type games, I myself used renaissancekingdoms for a while, though it has much
    slower rewards. If you research these online ones most either have no charge or only charge for premium accounts that are easier to use. Also beware the scam/information theft "quizzes" that offer farmville money in exchange for being advertised to or directly taking valuable and sensitive information.

Also, although I do not believe gaming to be addictive, it can defiantly be habit forming and turn into a bad habit or compulsion if it starts taking over your life or costing lots of money (like problem gambling). The real key is to find healthy ways to interact with gaming.

Offering alternatives I believe in this case is a good solution due to the high quality of many of the simulation and relationship-type games out there. However it sounds like she might also be attracted to the social networking part so you may want to look into that as well, I have no direct knowledge of it so i cant really help.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Also, although I do not believe gaming to be addictive, it can defiantly be habit forming and turn into a bad habit or compulsion if it starts taking over your life or costing lots of money (like problem gambling).

If she's trying to borrow real life money from her son to buy internet game dollars for a facebook app, I think this ship has sailed.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not familiar with SimFarm myself, but if the appeal for her is more about building stuff and seeing it grow then SimAnything ought to do. It'd be worth it to make her try out every Sim game before letting her buy wooden nickels.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ceres wrote: »

I regret beating the story mode only because I still have that song in my head.

...We don't want zombies on our lawn.....

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For other Facebook games she might like, perhaps Treasure Isle? It's also by Zynga and takes several mechanics from Farmville without some of the annoying extra bullshit.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pharaoh. Ancient city simulator with lots of farming as well as pyramid building. There are a few scenarios where you do come under enemy attack though, which may not be your moms thing.

There is also Children of the Nile. Another ancient Egyptian city simulator. It is a bit cruder compared to Pharaoh, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Can't recall if there were any warfare in it or not.

Both games of course require you to buy them. They are also fairly old and may or may not run on vista or windows 7.

Tropico 1-3 are 3 other city simulator games. 3 was released fairly recently.

Siska on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My wife plays FarmTown (also on facebook). I assume they're similar, and the latter also has the "buy credits" deal. However, my wife has never bought any and I believe you're given the special credits when you gain levels anyway. Even without the "fake money", you can earn in-game money that buys almost everything in the game.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know Farmville also has the whole collect animals thing; maybe your mom would like Zoo Tycoon? The first version and it's expansion packs are still available as one package; top-down view similar to Farmville, you build habitats, people-pleasing areas, etc. Zoo Tycoon 2 is also out; it really improves on being able to make everything much more smoother, eg pathways aren't at sharp angles, exhibits can have nice curved borders, etc. Also you can walk around from your guest's perspective. It comes sold with two DLC packs already bundled, and there's two expansion packs also on the market.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Find SimTower. Make her play it. Should be abandonware these days.

Alternatively, inundate her with Zynga games, she'll never have enough time to devote to all of them so hopefully it dissuades her from trying to buy fake dollar points. Frontierville, YoVille, FishVille (or whatever it's called), CafeWorld. They're all pretty bad and based on the same concept.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.