Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Kinect is $149.99 (£129.99 / €149.99), includes Kinect Adventures - thoughts?

12346

Posts

  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still gonna get one, but I'm an adult with a normal sized home so I have the space in the great room to use and enjoy this sort of thing.

    It'll be nice to get rid of the Wii and still have the exact same experiences minus the battery-draining controllers and threat of them flying into the TV or the dogs head now.

    Allforce on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?

    All Microsoft is basically doing is saying "if your kinect experience has problems,it might be because of this AND this might solve them" just so you can't sue them/return the product.

    It's basic stuff really.

    Still, Kinect lololol

    Shush, Herr Klyka, you're ruining their fun.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?

    All Microsoft is basically doing is saying "if your kinect experience has problems,it might be because of this AND this might solve them" just so you can't sue them/return the product.

    It's basic stuff really.

    Still, Kinect lololol

    I think the real issue is that all of the "rules" being leaked about the device are adding up to a sum of parts that do not equal the whole that was demonstrated in Natal's infancy.

    Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?
    If there is any circumstance where you have to wear differently colored coding, they fucked up.

    Couscous on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?
    If there is any circumstance where you have to wear differently colored coding, they fucked up.

    True,but it's also them saying "So,if you tried everything else and it's STILL not working for some reason,can you try this?".
    It never says "wear different clothes or it won't work".

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So only time will tell, I guess?

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What the fuck?! Why wont Kinect connect?

    Because dah'ling... that top is simply dreadful!

    Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So only time will tell, I guess?

    As with all things, yes.

    I still firmly believe that the technology isn't ready and it will bomb.

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Essentially, they could totally and should totally do this on Kinect:

    [hole in the wall]

    Feel free to ask me any questions.

    This blows my mind that they made an American version of the game. Did they even realize that the "contestants" in the Japanese version were famous actors? Not only that comedians? It was a frigging skit for god's sake.

    halkun on
    dA03mgx.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Essentially, they could totally and should totally do this on Kinect:

    [hole in the wall]

    Feel free to ask me any questions.

    This blows my mind that they made an American version of the game. Did they even realize that the "contestants" in the Japanese version were famous actors? Not only that comedians? It was a frigging skit for god's sake.

    I think Americans just really, really enjoyed the idea of watching people get knocked into pools of water.

    I guess. I don't know. I've been here a while, and Americans (who watch game shows) are still pretty mysterious. They were nobodies, as far as I could tell.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?

    All Microsoft is basically doing is saying "if your kinect experience has problems,it might be because of this AND this might solve them" just so you can't sue them/return the product.

    It's basic stuff really.

    Still, Kinect lololol

    Except for the fact that very, very few products have such unreasonable standards. Don't use in temperatures below 40 and above 120? Sure. Have eight feet of space and absolutely perfect lighting? Er.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?

    All Microsoft is basically doing is saying "if your kinect experience has problems,it might be because of this AND this might solve them" just so you can't sue them/return the product.

    It's basic stuff really.

    Still, Kinect lololol

    Except for the fact that very, very few products have such unreasonable standards. Don't use in temperatures below 40 and above 120? Sure. Have eight feet of space and absolutely perfect lighting? Er.

    The free room can be an issue.

    For the lighting,read this again:
    If the camera can’t see you, you should “turn on lights to brighten the play space,” “try wearing different colored clothing that contrasts with the background of your play space,” and “prevent lights, including sunlight, from shining directly on the sensor.”

    It's an "If" scenario. It is not a requirement. They are saying you need better lighting IF it doesn't work.

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    As funny as all of this is,you guys do realize that basically every product ever has some really weird shit in the manual to be safe for every circumstance of "this doesn't work right",right?

    All Microsoft is basically doing is saying "if your kinect experience has problems,it might be because of this AND this might solve them" just so you can't sue them/return the product.

    It's basic stuff really.

    Still, Kinect lololol

    Except for the fact that very, very few products have such unreasonable standards. Don't use in temperatures below 40 and above 120? Sure. Have eight feet of space and absolutely perfect lighting? Er.

    The free room can be an issue.

    For the lighting,read this again:
    If the camera can’t see you, you should “turn on lights to brighten the play space,” “try wearing different colored clothing that contrasts with the background of your play space,” and “prevent lights, including sunlight, from shining directly on the sensor.”

    It's an "If" scenario. It is not a requirement. They are saying you need better lighting IF it doesn't work.

    None of my other video game systems or electronics ask me to troubleshoot by changing clothes. What they're asking for is pretty steep, even by troubleshooting standards.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno. The Wii manual says to avoid bright light near the TV, and that wireless devices might interfere with reception. At a certain level of alarmism people would be hurfdurfing that you have to play in the dark and shut off all your wireless networks and phones.

    Like, the Kinect thing says you want 4 feet to either side because some games require you to move side to side a lot. Hopefully it would be fairly obvious which games need that space, the same way you generally know which Wii games require you to move the vases and such out of the play area.

    re: Clothing

    It seems intuitive that if you wear white clothing and the floor, the couch, the walls, etc. are all white, too, then a camera-based system might have trouble. I mean, work with it a little.

    Orogogus on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    None of my other video game systems or electronics ask me to troubleshoot by changing clothes. What they're asking for is pretty steep, even by troubleshooting standards.

    None of your other video systems use a scan of your body as the input.

    Also,they are just guidelines for troubleshooting. You don't HAVE to do any of this. It's like the guy from tech support asking you if you unplugged the computer and plugged it back in. Or asking you to try a different power cable.

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    None of my other video game systems or electronics ask me to troubleshoot by changing clothes. What they're asking for is pretty steep, even by troubleshooting standards.

    None of your other video systems use a scan of your body as the input.

    Also,they are just guidelines for troubleshooting. You don't HAVE to do any of this. It's like the guy from tech support asking you if you unplugged the computer and plugged it back in. Or asking you to try a different power cable.

    True, but it does send a signal that the tech is pretty persnickety if you have to go to that extent.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The obvious solution here is to always play Kinect buck ass naked.

    Oh yes.

    Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    None of my other video game systems or electronics ask me to troubleshoot by changing clothes. What they're asking for is pretty steep, even by troubleshooting standards.

    None of your other video systems use a scan of your body as the input.

    Exactly. And someday we'll have manuals requiring the user to wear a lead vest, which is perfectly reasonable because none of the other video systems use x-rays as input.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The obvious solution here is to always play Kinect buck ass naked.

    Oh yes.

    Are you sure it will work with my flesh colored walls?

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    None of my other video game systems or electronics ask me to troubleshoot by changing clothes. What they're asking for is pretty steep, even by troubleshooting standards.

    None of your other video systems use a scan of your body as the input.

    Also,they are just guidelines for troubleshooting. You don't HAVE to do any of this. It's like the guy from tech support asking you if you unplugged the computer and plugged it back in. Or asking you to try a different power cable.

    True, but it does send a signal that the tech is pretty persnickety if you have to go to that extent.

    True,but to be fair,the moment your technology needs to take pictures of the users to work, a myriad of different factors suddenly come up which can ruin it. I mean,all it takes is a dude with dirty fingers unpacking his Kinect and putting a nice smear on the lens to then post "OMG THIS IS THE WORST WORKING THING EVER."

    Which it will probably be anyway,hahaha.

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The obvious solution here is to always play Kinect buck ass naked.

    Oh yes.

    Are you sure it will work with my flesh colored walls?

    Hmm, spray on tan?

    Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't like the argument that these potential requirements are all fine because of the cool tech, because you could just as easily say that the requirements mean the tech isn't ready for mainstream. It should've been released when this stuff didn't have to be in the manual. There are possible solutions to the distance problem - perhaps something like a fisheye lens at high resolution that could be converted back to a normal view in software. etc., etc.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't like the argument that these potential requirements are all fine because of the cool tech, because you could just as easily say that the requirements mean the tech isn't ready for mainstream. It should've been released when this stuff didn't have to be in the manual. There are possible solutions to the distance problem - perhaps something like a fisheye lens at high resolution that could be converted back to a normal view in software. etc., etc.

    Again,you say requirements even though none of them are. They are troubleshooting tips in case of it not working correctly.
    It's like how my Wiimote doesn't properly work if I have the light next to my TV turned on. So I have to turn it off when I play.
    That doesn't mean everyone has to turn off their lights.

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not all or nothing, some things are unreasonable to some and yet reasonable to others. A lot of people don't mind turning off a lamp to play a game. A lot of people do mind changing their shirt to play a game. I realize that's not cited but I don't think it's far fetched to imagine the general public might think the same thing.

    You could include all kinds of bizarre troubleshooting tips, and that doesn't make them less ridiculous.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whether or not you're excited about Kinect, you have to admit that this is pretty damn funny. Also, this variant.

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Whether or not you're excited about Kinect, you have to admit that this is pretty damn funny. Also, this variant.

    The use of the term "Xbros" pretty much negates the funny completely.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think it's referring to all 360 users, just those bros who expect Kinect to make them Batman.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The obvious solution here is to always play Kinect buck ass naked.

    Oh yes.

    Actually I'm pretty sure I'd blend into my tan (ish) microfiber couch if I did that.

    Dusda on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think it's referring to all 360 users, just those bros who expect Kinect to make them Batman.
    Yes, this.

    cloudeagle, remove that goose from your butt that is killing your sense of humor.

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys, sorry for posting so late, forgot I even posted that kinect post. It was a drinking night, haha.
    What games did you play Recoil?

    All of them, i think, except for Kinectimals and the Dance one.


    Driving, a bit of the fitness one, Kinect Adventures, and Kinect sports -- volleyball and ping pong.

    I actually really liked the driving, fwiw, which is the one i thought I was going to hate the most. I thought ping pong was even better than wii's version, although different -- the wii gives you great shot control, but suffers from being unable to actually position your player, whereas the kinect is exactly the opposite -- it's all about getting your player into position (because it tracks you around the room), but it leaves you completely unable to do fine control like angle/bank shots (because it knows where your hand is, but not the precise position, angle, and velocity of it). It's also a bit more forgiving, I found.

    I assume you'll see this pattern in a lot of other games -- the wii captures fine motor control, but no large body movements, whereas the kinect is really great for wild body movements, but terrible for fine motor control experiences. You'll see a lot more jumping around and moving around the room in Kinect games, as opposed to the Wii where I find there's just a bunch of swinging and pointing.

    Essentially, energetic five-year-olds are going to love it.

    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I've got a question, how much space did they have set up? I'm debating picking up Kinect for parties when the price drops a little, but the room space needed (that I posted on the previous page, roughly 10 foot back, 8 foot to the sides) might be difficult. How were the demo units set up?

    There was a LOT of room. I can't answer any more than that, other than they obviously had the place set up for maximum visibility -- the floor was bright green, the walls were white, and the place was brightly lit. I'd say they had at least 8x10 at each station. But that doesn't mean 8x10 is what's NEEDED. You'll want that space though -- there's a lot more actual moving around than for Wii games.
    Oh, oh, I have another question *puts hand up*

    The psEye is pretty low res, when playing on Eyepet the disconnect between you in 640x480, vs the Eyepet in 720p was quite considerable. How's the resolution for the Kinect? Do you see yourself on screen in these games? If so was it equally distracting?

    Most of them show pretty crude transparent stick figures, like you might remember in the original Kinect demo. The exercise wii-fit-esque one actually had a really cool red-orange-yellow-purple heatmap-styled live feed of what the camera saw of you. It wasn't distracting at all -- actually really cool. I kinda loved how accurately it watched at all times what you're doing.


    You know how in racing games, as the countdown goes, you find yourself revving the engine, or in fps games, fiddling with the control stick, just waiting as the lobby counts down?

    On Kinect, your guy is on screen, and he's following your movements as you're making them -- almost exactly. So you find yourself making funny faces and flapping your arms, watching the avatar on the screen following your movements exactly. It's a lot of fun.

    Recoil42 on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the impressions, sounds good!

    There is another decent write up in EDGE this month, they seem to enjoy playing Harmonix's dance game quite a bit.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's a good way to distinguish the actual mechanical finer points between the Wii motion sensing and that of Kinect. Very informative, recoil.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I'll pass on Kinect. I don't really like the flailing type games on the Wii, so this doesn't seem to be up my alley. But who knows... it seems like Kinect would enable a really good fitness game so I might end up buying it for my wife at some point.

    greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    [URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/acz2t/let_me_tell _you_about_demons_souls/"]Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....[/URL]
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    I think I'll pass on Kinect. I don't really like the flailing type games on the Wii, so this doesn't seem to be up my alley.

    I'm probably in this boat.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll end up picking up a Kinect after a price drop. (Or used on Ebay) Just out of curiosity.

    Unless a real must-have title shows up.

    Not sure what that would be though.

    It's also too bad the porn industry will never get access to this thing. Imagine Milo, only now instead of Milo it's your favorite pornstar. :)

    Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I'll end up picking up a Kinect after a price drop. (Or used on Ebay) Just out of curiosity.

    Unless a real must-have title shows up.

    Not sure what that would be though.

    It's also too bad the porn industry will never get access to this thing. Imagine Milo, only now instead of Milo it's your favorite pornstar. :)

    :?

    D:

    :winky:

    o_O

    :x

    Pretty much how i'd expect your face to look in such a situation. Maybe add in a *insert credit card to continue* somewhere in there.

    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Right now, my curiosity largely hinges on Steel Battalion and how well it plays in a smaller space.

    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going straight to that Harmonix dancing game with a pile of beers!

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Right now, my curiosity largely hinges on Steel Battalion and how well it plays in a smaller space.

    I thought that basically the only selling point to Steel Battalion was the crazy huge controller. Why would someone play it with no controller at all?

    PolloDiablo on
    Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When they announced Steel Batallion I just figured the next logical step would have using some sort of Tony Starks-esque hand-waving way of controlling things with on-screen controls. Sort of the giant controller only its all on screen and you can wave shit aside as you don't need it and bring other controls into view as you need to interact with them.

    Allforce on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Right now, my curiosity largely hinges on Steel Battalion and how well it plays in a smaller space.

    I thought that basically the only selling point to Steel Battalion was the crazy huge controller. Why would someone play it with no controller at all?

    Yeah, that's why I'm baffled they kept the Steel Batallion name for this. People who really liked the 47 hojillion buttons probably won't like no buttons.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
Sign In or Register to comment.