As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I think Julia has the best super in the game.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    ive run into a couple dudes that had really insane juggles/tags/whatnot, and when they get going its really a sight to see. i can only console myself by dropping 500-600dmg low execution combos on them with hugo. maybe someday i'll get my execution levels up higher but ehhhhhh. i can hit the cr.mp xx clap xx cr.mp link and guiles links pretty consistently, and thats already way better than i ever got at that stuff in SF4.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I use that Asuka combo too, except I start it with s.mp s.lp. Never been to good at linking, so I don't risk it. Also, having a doozy of a time getting the timing right on that final cr.hk. Only landing it like 50% of the time.

What Hat is doing isn't a link either, mk, cr.mp is one of her chains.

As for the cr.hk, what I've found works the best is just watching for her to go back to neutral and then doing it. I rarely miss it now.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    The hardest Asuka link I've found (thus far) is the juggle in s.mp s.lp hcb+kk s.mp s.lp hcb+k c.rh. Landing the second standing medium is fucking hard.

How can I best follow up with c.HP as an anti-air with Ryu?

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    It's pretty hard for a link in sfxt yeah, but again, and this is what works best for me, is to just watch for her to hit that neutral state and hit mp.

But even though that is her highest damage one meter combo it still feels like a waste of meter on Asuka to me. Rather have that tag cancel/EX sweep throw/EX falling rain

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    So here's a shitty story.

We have a game center called Game On that hosts us every week for fighting game casuals and does tournaments once a month or so. They were robbed on Monday night and they took pretty everything, which included around 10-12 50" TVs and 360s. No idea if the owners had insurance yet but I really hope they do. It's just a small facility though run by a local husband and wife, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

If you've ever been robbed, you know there's nothing like the feeling of knowing some asshole invaded your space and took your stuff for their own. I've been through it and I've never been so angry in my life. I just needed to vent a bit and it's...somewhat relevant.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

We have a game center called Game On that hosts us every week for fighting game casuals and does tournaments once a month or so. They were robbed on Monday night and they took pretty everything, which included around 10-12 50" TVs and 360s. No idea if the owners had insurance yet but I really hope they do. It's just a small facility though run by a local husband and wife, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

If you've ever been robbed, you know there's nothing like the feeling of knowing some asshole invaded your space and took your stuff for their own. I've been through it and I've never been so angry in my life. I just needed to vent a bit and it's...somewhat relevant.

aw jeez i know that feeling too, it's pretty much the worst :(

hopefully they kept serial #s of their stuff on hand, even if they don't have insurance

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Stuff like that can kill a local scene. :<

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    This game is probably really annoying at tournaments with people having to switch out gems and whatnot.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    This game is probably really annoying at tournaments with people having to switch out gems and whatnot.

gems are straight up banned at small tourneys afaik

This game seems somewhat unplayable online. Like I dunno if it's a mental disconnect from the sound bug or something or whatever but it seems really stuttery.

Goddamn I suck at this game. I have the same issue I did in MvC3. "Oh shit what the hell is going on I should just block intelligently until I can find openings oh wait I'm dead now."

theoretically the tournament patch theyre putting out soon(ish?) will make gems more viable at tournments. thats one of the things they said it would do, anyway.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

theoretically the tournament patch theyre putting out soon(ish?) will make gems more viable at tournments. thats one of the things they said it would do, anyway.

i thought they ended up bailing on USB support

which is the only way it was going to happen

I don't know why they bothered adding the gem system. It's not like it really adds anything to gameplay. I guess the pandora gem could make that interesting but other than that, meh.

It would be one thing if gems enabled combos that you couldn't otherwise do, so capitalizing on gem time would be important, but as of right now they just seem kind of pointless.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The dozen different pre-order deals and post-game dlc didn't make the reason for gems obvious enough?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    I guess I meant gameplay wise.

You can't give out colors and palette swaps to people for preorder bonuses? I'm sure people would give a shit about those more. "EXCLUSIVE DAN HIBIKI COSTUME FOR RYU!"

Why do assheads with 3000+BP join my endless lobby that cleary states "For Beginners" ?

They're just beginning...

...to kick your ass.

That is enough getting my taint handed to my for a while. I just lost big time in combos and in switching people out super unsafely. People regen health SUPER fast in this game which is kind of annoying. So I definitely have to work on getting my combos down super well and capitalizing on opportunities. I also just need to be better with getting in and wrecking shit with Asuka. I really don't know any of her properties or what she's supposed to use as a reversal or to save her ass in a pinch. Or her antiairs, or how to combo off antiair.

I also don't know a good switch in combo for her. The one in the brady guide (f+lk f+lp s.rh) seems fucking impossible. I couldn't get the rh to land when I was practicing it, and I couldn't get the f+lk to land on a switch in combo from Juri.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I feel your pain, Hat. Been there and done that, as I started with Juri + Asuka before switching her out for Heihachi.

The problem is Asuka has a lot of flaws in her neutral game. If she's not immediately on top of an opponent, juggling them about or applying pressure for that breakthrough, she's probably in trouble because a lot of the cast seems to just outdo her otherwise either by zoning or simply outpoking her.

Her switch in combo can def be kind of tricky to land for some reason, though if you're using her with Juri specifically make sure your combo from her is via kicks and not punches. Ideally you should be doing something like (possible jump in attack) > c.mk > fuhajin lk release > c.mk > s.fk > launcher, for a reliable switch. For antiair you should be doing Asuka's EX Falling Rain (dp+PP) if you have the meter. If not, you can try her s.LP, but its only active for two frames so this can be difficult. Like many Tekken characters she just lacks a good normal antiair, you have to learn to deal with this fact unfortunately.

As for reversals, well she has her actual Attack Reversals of course assuming they're attacking on the ground. If you're not sure though, the best she has is EX Double Lift Kicks, which does have some invulnerability. Problem is it has a slow startup, so its often not great in this role. Just another problem she has, I'm afraid.

Finally if you're trying to poke your way in, you should be using the likes of her b+mp strings, s.mk > c.mp, and f+mk strings (if you feel like taking a risk for the low hit). She doesn't have fantastic ways to get in outside of her j.fp crossup, so you'll have to be very patient when trying.

You guys could just pick a male character once in a while.

I don't know why they bothered adding the gem system. It's not like it really adds anything to gameplay. I guess the pandora gem could make that interesting but other than that, meh.

It would be one thing if gems enabled combos that you couldn't otherwise do, so capitalizing on gem time would be important, but as of right now they just seem kind of pointless.

yea, i just put some power gems on people and whatever.

also ive never seen anyone use pandora or cross assault either. cross assault does seem like it could be pretty cool if youre playing co-op with someone i guess. theres a ton of weird shit in this game.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    People regen health SUPER fast in this game which is kind of annoying

get used to saving your meter for super/cross arts imo unless using meter elsewhere ensures a KO

doing unrecoverable damage (super art) or removing all recoverable damage they had (cross art) is a big deal

7yh4xczljsym.png
    I've had people use Pandora against me a few times, but it never worked. I just backed away for the 7 seconds.

Yeah, Pandora is no Xfactor. It's likely never going to be dangerous until people start doing them mid-combo or unless they already have you pressured into a corner or such (difficult to do when you're low enough on health to even activate it, though).
    People regen health SUPER fast in this game which is kind of annoying

get used to saving your meter for super/cross arts imo unless using meter elsewhere ensures a KO

doing unrecoverable damage (super art) or removing all recoverable damage they had (cross art) is a big deal

Also quoting this for truth. A combo into super immediately gives you an advantage, particularly if it's on the first character in the opponent's team lineup. Though that said some characters have some really good EX options available to them, and using meter for quick tag ins is very important as well, so I wouldn't go as far as to say you should use your meter only for damage.

You guys could just pick a male character once in a while.

I tried a bunch. Due to sexism female characters tend to be the more glass cannony flavor who are quick and damagey. That's what I like in a character. I tried a bunch of Tekken dudes but people who 1) use stances and 2) have an annoying fucking move in their combos are straight out. I hate stances and I don't want to have to think about that, and a bunch of Tekken dudes have them. Like Hwoarang or Xiaoyu. And then Kazuya has that obnoxious 6523 motion in his combos and fuck that. I can't imagine consistently getting that shit off.

And yeah, I habitually waste a ton of meter on EX as Juri but meter builds pretty slow it feels like so it's a total waste. I'm also not used to comboing into Kaisen that easily.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I use that Asuka combo too, except I start it with s.mp s.lp. Never been to good at linking, so I don't risk it. Also, having a doozy of a time getting the timing right on that final cr.hk. Only landing it like 50% of the time.

What Hat is doing isn't a link either, mk, cr.mp is one of her chains.

As for the cr.hk, what I've found works the best is just watching for her to go back to neutral and then doing it. I rarely miss it now.

I think he did, granted only the beginning c.lk is a link: c.lk s.mk c.mp xx hk srk j.rh s.rh xx qcb rh cr.rh (unless she can chain c.lk to the s.mk/cr.mp part, then I stand corrected).

The rest is the usual target combo fair from Asuka. I've been using cr.mp xx qcb hk, cr.hk as a tag-in option. Probably not optimized, but consistent. Also, I think people need to factor in her counter (any ground attack) and sweep grab more into her game. The ex-sweep grab is actually unblockable and does like 200 damage. Range is shit, but when you've got them trained to not attack after a counter or two.... :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    man, i cant play this game (or any fighting game, really) for shit after like 10:30. i get too tired and my reaction time goes to hell... im getting too old for this shit!

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Goddamn I suck at this game. I have the same issue I did in MvC3. "Oh shit what the hell is going on I should just block intelligently until I can find openings oh wait I'm dead now."
    Beginners can't block and they can't anti air, ergo just go nuts on them with jump ins and piss them off with air to air/anti-air when they try to get their own offense going.

Maybe don't jump all the time against people who prove to you they are decent but guilty until proven innocent, I say.

I might have to play Chun. As long as I never have to use legs it's samey enough. I had some good games today vs Chamberlain and RxNegative.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    They changed Chun's leg activation to a motion because of the whole double tapping a fierce to get a launcher. Makes logical sense I guess, but now both Blanka and Jack have multi-button pressing moves to activate specials? How backwards is that?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I might have to play Chun. As long as I never have to use legs it's samey enough. I had some good games today vs Chamberlain and RxNegative.

I still hate your Juri.

I will always hate your Juri.

But she's not very good =(

Hey now, Juri is pretty awesome in SFxT. At least better than she was in actual normal SF.

They changed Chun's leg activation to a motion because of the whole double tapping a fierce to get a launcher. Makes logical sense I guess, but now both Blanka and Jack have multi-button pressing moves to activate specials? How backwards is that?

yea, im wondering how those moves are going to work here. i figured they would have changed everything to match chuns change.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    But she's not very good =(

neither am I.

if anyone wants to do some ps3 fights this morning im into it.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular

Update! They caught the bastards.

http://www.krem.com/news/crime/Burglary-suspect-rides-bike-directly-into-police-custody-143955536.html

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

Update! They caught the bastards.

http://www.krem.com/news/crime/Burglary-suspect-rides-bike-directly-into-police-custody-143955536.html

Nice to see some good news coming from what was a really shitty situation!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png