Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

arrested develo[chat]

1555658606163

Posts

  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    hehehe I just went through the daily show thread to see when it comes back on air, and there's tons of nerd rage about the last interview jon agreeing with the chick, saying that science and religion are not at odds.

    People were shouting "FUCK YOU!" at their tvs.

    All, the simple pleasures of life.

    In fairness, Marilynne Robinson is kind of a twit. And her arguments in that particular interview were terrible.

    Hachface on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My dad infected me with his common cold.

    Another reason to move out! :x

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Zerg is my strongest race.

    My life for void rays!

    Not a big fan of void rays, tbh. Everyone expects them.

    4 gate, e'ryday!

    yeah you'll rape more than enough people with 4 gate. I hit a point where I couldn't beat it, then got over the hump and advanced a bit in my league, and then hit another wall. it's such a strong open.

    It's pretty damn strong, and quite flexible. But not unbeatable.

    Zerg still put the fear of god into me though. I dunno why....

    HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I don't know anything about fearing DMs. That shit is just hurtful is all. Dungeon Mastering is fucking work and you gotta appease 4-6 nerds.

    An impossible task.

    And they never pay attention to your backstory!

    I ran a single city campaign for a while, the party never left the city except for a couple of forays out into the woods. They really got into the backstory.

    My group has actually been thinking about moving into just doing big individual encounters for a while instead of campaigns, since none of us ever care about backstory.

    Philistines.

    Well, I'm writing up a huge naval battle and it's pretty nice to not have to worry about how to tie it into a larger campaign. Also, this way we can rotate who DMs each week which is harder to do with a long campaign.

    Nostregar on
    Nostregar wrote: »
    I think that an entire religious debate done in haiku would be genuinely enjoyable.
    You say there is God
    I see only the fleshmeat
    Prove your space daddy
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck (♡°◡°) Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    skippys dog is adorable

    hee hee

    skippydumptruck on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    hehehe I just went through the daily show thread to see when it comes back on air, and there's tons of nerd rage about the last interview jon agreeing with the chick, saying that science and religion are not at odds.

    People were shouting "FUCK YOU!" at their tvs.

    All, the simple pleasures of life.

    Yeah I was pretty frowny face at all the athiest-rage on the interbutts because of that

    and i am an atheist agnostic scientist who really has a secret loathing of most religious institutions

    Arch on
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Science and religion don't clash so long as religion stays in the kitchen.

    8-)

    Sarksus on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed from watching people play 4e D&D is that it's much closer to a tabletop minatures wargame than I remember from my experiences playing AD&D as a nerdling.

    I assume it's a combo of returning to the roots of D&D and a desire to sell more D&D product.

    Mostly the latter. Gary Gygax apparently did not use miniatures, except in rare occasions. In in those cases "miniatures" meant "whatever crap is lying around."

    Hachface on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    sarks you're being ridiculous.

    i'm explaining what i don't like about the comics- too full of self-indulgent references and every name drop imaginable. every few pages makes me groan, because i can imagine a 20something liberal who grew up in the late 80s going "heehee, that was cool". i don't like that, it makes it difficult for me to immerse myself in the work. i think it's lame and silly.

    i haven't called anyone a pedophile or a filthy, antisocial geek. you're seriously making me sound way more hateful and judgmental than i'm actually being.

    What I am saying is instead of being satisfied with saying that the comic isn't for you but you don't begrudge other people liking it you are calling the comic bad when it isn't bad, it just falls outside of your own tastes. Basically I don't see why you have to invalidate other people's tastes when all you had to do was say the comic wasn't for you. It's needlessly confrontational and it spurs arguments like these when all it could have been was "this is my personal truth" and then you could have continued to dislike the comic and I could have continued re-reading volume five and it would have been fine.

    There are a lot of things I don't like but I don't call them bad, I recognize that they are good. There is a lot of music, for example, that I can't get into but I believe is technically good. There is no reason for me to call into question other people's tastes and it's not an argument I want to be responsible for starting.

    am i allowed to call twilight bad?

    i think there are some things wrong with the comic. its demographic is not me, but aside from that i already said i feel that the overloaded, directed references thing is lame- it's, in my opinion, lame. it's treehousey, whether it's about being a young, music loving, game playing liberal person in america or whether it's about guns and mixed martial arts. i'm not saying anyone's a dumbass for disagreeing with me.

    i'm really not insulting anyone (except, i guess, the author a little bit) here, so i don't know why i'm not allowed to say what i dislike about this book. i guess because it's popular here?

    You can say what you dislike about the comic, but what I am saying is you came off not as giving your opinion but rather as trying to state a sort of objective truth. If you think the comic is meritorious but falls outside of your taste then this was a misunderstanding and we're in agreement but that wasn't how I perceived your posts.

    i really don't feel like i should have to say "i am organichu, and this is only my opinion" before my posts. i will do it here, though: any time i venture an opinion about the quality of a piece of media, i am only sharing my personal opinion and i acknowledge that you may hold your own opinion, et cetera paribus non plus pro quid hocter ergo plus etc, thank god for this meal, etc, parbius que

    now

    i think the comic is composed well, for people who don't mind the allusions- like i said, i think it handles its subject really well. but for me, the groaning immersion break brought on constantly by the nerd porn makes me unable to enjoy it. maybe that's something you don't care about. that's up to you. for me, it's a bad read. i think it's an incredibly unentertaining comic, because i can't read more than a few pages without laughing at it, rather than with it. maybe if i got drunk and high and read it at 2 am with DBZ kai in the background it'd be different.

    different strokes.
    Anyway, regarding Twilight, let us delve deep into that. This is a fuzzy subject because it relies on a few different things in order to determine whether or not something actually is bad. It's unreliable and most likely arbitrary but it's all we got. I think Twilight is bad. Now if a lot of people here actually liked it what would I do? That depends on what they like about it. If I think they like all of the stuff I find morally reprehensible well then I'll probably argue with them about it but if they are just innocents who like trashy romance novels then I would probably leave them alone especially because if so many people here liked it it would make for a lot of arguments happening often and that is lame.

    But yes, how do we determine if something is bad? It's really difficult and it will be arbitrary. It relies a lot on consensus and the accumulation of evidence against it. If there was a consensus and a lot of evidence against Scott Pilgrim being good then I would have to acknowledge that and consider it a guilty pleasure or something. I mean Dragonball Z is probably bad but I like it anyway because it's a part of my childhood and it's absurdity amuses me. These aren't thoughts that I have developed greatly so more discussion is necessary in order to refine this thinking.

    i don't feel like i need a consensus to call it lame. but again, i'll say "lame IN MY OPINION" if you think that's less likely to cause an argument. but i don't think i should have to not share my opinion on a fucking graphic novel because some of my friends will take it too personally.

    Organichu on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I don't know anything about fearing DMs. That shit is just hurtful is all. Dungeon Mastering is fucking work and you gotta appease 4-6 nerds.

    An impossible task.

    And they never pay attention to your backstory!

    I ran a single city campaign for a while, the party never left the city except for a couple of forays out into the woods. They really got into the backstory.

    My group has actually been thinking about moving into just doing big individual encounters for a while instead of campaigns, since none of us ever care about backstory.

    Going back to the roots of the hobby.

    One thing I've noticed from watching people play 4e D&D is that it's much closer to a tabletop minatures wargame than I remember from my experiences playing AD&D as a nerdling.

    I assume it's a combo of returning to the roots of D&D and a desire to sell more D&D product.

    This is why I (think) like 4e

    Arch on
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong My lit AF posts will leave you shook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    hehehe I just went through the daily show thread to see when it comes back on air, and there's tons of nerd rage about the last interview jon agreeing with the chick, saying that science and religion are not at odds.

    People were shouting "FUCK YOU!" at their tvs.

    All, the simple pleasures of life.

    I don't disagree with the core idea but all of her arguments were ridiculous bullshit. Way too many people equate "I don't understand it" with "it is fundamentally not understandable", but there is a megahuge difference.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh God, I guess now comes the part of the day when everybody puts on their atheist caps and starts chest thumping about it.

    Ludious on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Science and religion don't clash so long as religion stays in the kitchen.

    8-)

    Eff that. I won't stand for religion in my kitchen. It can stay in the garden shed.

    firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    hmmm, woke up at noon today. haven't done that in a while.

    Dynagrip on
    ok98TNK.png
  • descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Graphic novels rarely leverage the strengths of the medium.

    But when they do, it is badical --> http://www.amazon.com/Asterios-Polyp-David-Mazzucchelli/dp/0307377326

    desc on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    Ludious never wins.

    Hachface on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate playing as Terran, because there are so many different units that it makes it hard to micro.

    As zerg I might have a control group for lings, one for roaches or mutas, and one for both.
    Toss will have 1,2,3,4 of zealots, stalkers, sentries, and everyone.
    Terran has marines and marauders which can't really be grouped together because of stim, hellions and/or tanks, medivacs and/or vikings, all with different movement speeds and attack prioritization.

    TL DR on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Oh God, I guess now comes the part of the day when everybody puts on their athiest caps and starts chest thumping about it.

    hahaha

    gotta love the preemptive whining.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    Let's not forget who corrected who in the first place Ellie.

    Ludious on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    hehehe I just went through the daily show thread to see when it comes back on air, and there's tons of nerd rage about the last interview jon agreeing with the chick, saying that science and religion are not at odds.

    People were shouting "FUCK YOU!" at their tvs.

    All, the simple pleasures of life.

    In fairness, Marilynne Robinson is kind of a twit. And her arguments in that particular interview were terrible.

    Yeah, let's put it this way: I would never read her book.

    But it seemed that people were more getting pissed that Jon was agreeing with her and trying to help her out.

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed from watching people play 4e D&D is that it's much closer to a tabletop minatures wargame than I remember from my experiences playing AD&D as a nerdling.

    I assume it's a combo of returning to the roots of D&D and a desire to sell more D&D product.

    Mostly the latter. Gary Gygax apparently did not use miniatures, except in rare occasions. In in those cases "miniatures" meant "whatever crap is lying around."

    Didn't D&D start out as a ruleset for a (pre-)Warhammer-style fantasy tabletop minatures game?

    Lawndart on
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Oh God, I guess now comes the part of the day when everybody puts on their atheist caps and starts chest thumping about it.

    I'm athier than you are!!

    No I'm the athiest!
    Courtesy of someone (I think apo's) sig

    Winky on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I guess religion can stay in the car too. I certainly pray like a mo' when I think a copper is about to bust my speeding ass.

    firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Oh God, I guess now comes the part of the day when everybody puts on their atheist caps and starts chest thumping about it.

    I tried that and knocked the wind out my myself.

    YamiNoSenshi on
    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.

    Watch me sometimes stream games.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    Ludious.

    Ludious never wins.

    Fixed.

    JustinSane07 on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong My lit AF posts will leave you shook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    When nerd arguments end, no one is happy.

    And I have just explained the MO of the entire internet.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    Let's not forget who corrected who in the first place Ellie.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Zerg is my strongest race.

    My life for void rays!

    Not a big fan of void rays, tbh. Everyone expects them.

    4 gate, e'ryday!

    yeah you'll rape more than enough people with 4 gate. I hit a point where I couldn't beat it, then got over the hump and advanced a bit in my league, and then hit another wall. it's such a strong open.

    It's pretty damn strong, and quite flexible. But not unbeatable.

    Zerg still put the fear of god into me though. I dunno why....

    oh it's certainly not unbeatable, I just don't have a solid open to beat it yet. I know what i need to get but I'm so acustomed to a particular build order that works pretty well v. zerg or terran, and I have nothing set up to handle 4 gate. either I get ghosts too early and don't have enough units or I get em too late and can't emp. I've found myself with not enough marauders a couple of times as well. I just need to find a balance again! the first hump was easy cause all I had to do was add ghosts but now my problem is a little harder to specify and the solution a little more detailed.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed from watching people play 4e D&D is that it's much closer to a tabletop minatures wargame than I remember from my experiences playing AD&D as a nerdling.

    I assume it's a combo of returning to the roots of D&D and a desire to sell more D&D product.

    Mostly the latter. Gary Gygax apparently did not use miniatures, except in rare occasions. In in those cases "miniatures" meant "whatever crap is lying around."

    Didn't D&D start out as a ruleset for a (pre-)Warhammer-style fantasy tabletop minatures game?

    Not quite. There was Chainmail, which was very much a fantasy miniature war game. Dungeons & Dragons was inspired by Chainmail, but even from its first printing it was a very different animal than miniature war games.

    Hachface on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ellie if you can't roll with geeks being pedantic about word usage you need to grow some thicker skin
    I'm bitchy today, and you were being a goose. You didn't have to copy-pasta the entire dictionary entry and treat me as though I am stupid. That is just uncalled for.

    This doesn't mean that I don't agree that I have thin skin. However, I will admit that my reaction was sparked by the fact that I was embarrassed that I didn't realise that smitten could also be another form of smite.

    You win. Happy?

    Ludious never wins.

    Lies.

    We won at Alien Swarm all over the place last night.

    And I didn't even kill him with my shotgun.

    Unlike a few other poor unlucky bastards.

    HappylilElf on
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Let's not forget who corrected who in the first place Ellie.
    I didn't throw the fucking dictionary at you. God.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I barely shot anybody. Actually, come to think of it, Elf did have the highest FF

    Ludious on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I took such a long lunch that it involved eating, two beers and a trip to see Inception.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You guys should have seen Nerdgasmic gun for evilbob in Alien Swarm last night. That was the most purposeful PK I've ever seen.

    Silas Brown on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The fact that a load of people called in sick today may go some way to explaining why I've been feeling so shitty lately.

    japan on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck (♡°◡°) Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    skippydumptruck on
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    There is a sudden, unexplainable shooting pain in my neck, near my jugular vein.

    The pain has now radiated to my inner ear.

    Your face is finally haching!

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does DnD still support 3e stuff, or does it only work with 4e now?

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate playing as Terran, because there are so many different units that it makes it hard to micro.

    As zerg I might have a control group for lings, one for roaches or mutas, and one for both.
    Toss will have 1,2,3,4 of zealots, stalkers, sentries, and everyone.
    Terran has marines and marauders which can't really be grouped together because of stim, hellions and/or tanks, medivacs and/or vikings, all with different movement speeds and attack prioritization.

    I've lost lots of medivacs because of it, accidentally stimmed plenty of units pointlessly.

    and sieged tanks that weren't yet near the battle.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.