As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

arrested develo[chat]

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I took such a long lunch that it involved eating, two beers and a trip to see Inception.

Every lunch should follow this mold.

desc on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    I didn't throw the fucking dictionary at you, God.

its never a good idea to throw things at your invisible friends.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuckers. Stop talking about Starcraft. I'm trying to hold out for the release.

JustinSane07 on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Does DnD still support 3e stuff, or does it only work with 4e now?

Just 4e, but Paizo have Pathfinder, which is a slightly better version of 3.5e

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

4e only.

It is the first edition ever to be backwards incompatible.

It's... for the best.

Hachface on
  • EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to hold out for the release.

That's what she said.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I took such a long lunch that it involved eating, two beers and a trip to see Inception.

You are so decadent

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This is pretty fucking pro, I must say.

desc on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You made 4 excellent choices in a row. Congrats.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu you don't get it do you.

You just don't fucking get it.

When you called Scott Pilgrim lame I literally slammed my fist onto the desk, knocking my Scott Pilgrim action figures over and getting Capri Sun all over my shirt.

Then I turned into a pogo stick with Scott Pilgrim for a head because Capri Sun is magic and doesn't take your shit.

Anyway, when someone doesn't qualify their opinions with some kind of language that indicates it is just their opinion then I assume they are trying to state what they feel is a fact because a lot of people do that unfortunately and I am not used to people just having an opinion and leaving it at that.

Anyway again, what I was getting at was a preliminary framework that would allow one to determine whether something is good or bad. If there is a consensus and good evidence against something then you can more easily call it bad than if you were in a minority. When I have an opinion that isn't shared by a lot of other people then I conclude that I am probably wrong. Now this isn't to say majority rules, I probably didn't word that right. If there are a lot of people who think something is bad, and they are still outnumbered, then it's still reasonable to suspect that there is some validity in the idea that that something is bad. This is all thinking out loud because as I've said I haven't thought about this much before and it would be interesting to try and work out a framework.

Sarksus on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    There is a sudden, unexplainable shooting pain in my neck, near my jugular vein.

The pain has now radiated to my inner ear.

Your face is finally haching!

oh god

i have lived in fear of this day

Hachface on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Let's not forget who corrected who in the first place Ellie.
    I didn't throw the fucking dictionary at you. God.

Ellie, it really wasn't this personal hate filled attack like you're taking it. But, you know, I'm not exactly the brightest bulb here. But I try really hard to use the correct words, even if my grammar isn't the absolute best.
    You called me out. I defended myself. I think the dictionary play was above the belt considering the accusation. But this conversation has already gone on too long. But if you gonna call somebody out don't whine that you got called back. Geeze.

Ludious on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuckers. Stop talking about Starcraft. I'm trying to hold out for the release.

you have no choice now

6 days

beta is down

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Just 4e, but Paizo have Pathfinder, which is a slightly bitter version of 3.5e

Silas Brown on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm downloading Alien Swarm. The one guy who apparently has it working perfectly in WINE has this to say in his AppDB posting:
    that guy wrote:
    my wine has many libraries and configs. I don't remember it all

Well, that's terrifically helpful.

japan on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was supposed to meet my sister for lunch today, but she forgot. :(

I am consoling myself w/ cafeteria sushi.

Galahad on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

4e only.

It's... for the best.

Ahem.

What about AD&D -> 3e?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Office is gonna be empty next week. It'll be me and everyone over 50.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    desc wrote: »

This is pretty fucking pro, I must say.

now to get an old cell phone

skippydumptruck on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Come to think of it, I regret DMing for the people I do DM. Most of them are children, but it's the fucking adult who is always accusing me of just trying to kill them outright and cheat. Fuck you, man. I'm working hard to give you a challenging and engaging experience. Stop shitting on me! If I wanted to murder you and all the other characters they'd already be dead!

There is no skill in just killing characters. Or even a TPK. Assuming you're taking an adversarial approach, then the real skill is in breaking the players wills. The Tomb of Horrors isn't scary simply because opening the door can wipe the group, it's scary because by the end of it, the players are a paranoid mess.
    I don't normally subscribe to the adversarial school of DMing. But busting Winky's balls? This I am all over.

I want to be clear right here, though, my thought process is not at all based around on how hard I can challenge my PCs. If you are looking for an adversary in me, you're not going to get one.

My entire purpose is based around the idea of "How many cool things can I get them to do?"

In designing all of this stuff, I was trying to think of ways I could set up a situation for you guys to do something really bad ass.

So naturally it's a little upsetting when you guys really want to subvert all of my big flashing arrows because you think you're cleverly undermining my challenges.

It's like if I designed this awesome bike ramp with fireworks that shoot out when you leap off it hoping that you'd hit it and then start doing flips and mad tricks and shit, and instead you go around it because you think what I meant to do was have a pit with spikes on the other side of the ramp.

Winky, I'm just messing with you. But one thing to be aware of is that PCs will often go off in unexpected directions for various reasons. Sometimes it's that the players or characters are easily distracted or sometimes it's a matter of differencing goals. As an example. You've built a dungeon in which your goal is to let us do awesome things. But my character has his own mission and he can't do it in the dungeon. Now he won't sacrifice the party to get out, but if he can shortcut his way out, he will. We haven't gotten too deep in yet, but your running the risk of railroading the party. That can work with some groups if the scenery is pretty enough but we haven't gotten there yet.
    Edit: I also don't get the whole adversarial relationship between players and DM thing.

Sometimes it can be interesting if the DM pushes a party to it's absolute limits, and adversarial DMing style quite often allows for that. But it's a fine line to run, and the reality is that it requires the DM to hold back. It's only really coming up here because I'm giving Winky grief.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010

You made 4 excellent choices in a row. Congrats.

Inception was good, despite some problems with the internal logic of the setting. I recommend all and sundry go to see it.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    I barely shot anybody. Actually, come to think of it, Elf did have the highest FF

By a fairly large margin. Pretty sure I off'd one of you right before we made it to the exit of the first stage if I remember right :lol:

I did however out-kill everyone by at least a 2-1 ratio :P

HappylilElf on
    edited July 2010
    haha I have never looked in the barter section

until now

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bar/1855177891.html

haha

skippydumptruck on
    edited July 2010

4e only.

It's... for the best.

Ahem.

What about AD&D -> 3e?

A little harder than 1e --> 2e but once you understood that THAC0 and BAB were mathematically identical it was smooth sailing.

Hachface on
    edited July 2010
    The Porsche is only worth $9k?

Anyway I'm sure he'll be trading it for something else when he has to pay for maintenance.

Edit: Oh I just read the bottom where he realizes that :P

Sarksus on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Paizo publishes good adventures.

I'm having a ton of fun w/ Kingmaker right now.

Galahad on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to hold out for the release.

That's what she said.

I....does this even work? Why would she be holding out for the release? Wouldn't be that's what he said?

I'm so confused.

So here's a song.

I kissed you on the cheek
    Good night my love I say
    You turn to me and smile,
    A baby's on the way
    And then you drift asleep to dream of life anew
    And I lie wondering just what I should do

I could kick you in the stomach and catch you unawares
    I could swear to god you accidentally fell that flight of stairs
    When I tell you that I love you I will look you in the eye
    As I slowly slide the hangar up your thigh
    :whistle:

JustinSane07 on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Office is gonna be empty next week. It'll be me and everyone over 50.

welcome to my office, all the time

Arch on
    edited July 2010

4e only.

It's... for the best.

Ahem.

What about AD&D -> 3e?

A little harder than 1e --> 2e but once you understood that THAC0 and BAB were mathematically identical it was smooth sailing.

I'd say it was on a par with 3.5 -> 4, you have things like feats to deal with which simply did not exist back then

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Anyway I'm sure he'll be trading it for something else when he has to pay for maintenance.

yeah it explicitly says that in the article

skippydumptruck on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

Paizo publishes good adventures.

I'm having a ton of fun w/ Kingmaker right now.

Maybe their adventures make the difference. I bought Pathfinder to play with some friends, but after reading through the book (which made my eyes bleed) and playing with them for a few weeks, I became a serious nerd-hater for like a month.

Silas Brown on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    i want to make a classier version of my old hotdog standby

honey wheat buns

beef hot dogs

fried onions

spicy brown mustard

Organichu on
    edited July 2010

I JUST FINISHED IT SKIPPY

READ MY EDIT

GODDDD

Sarksus on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

honey wheat buns

beef hot dogs

fried onions

spicy brown mustard

kraut! melty sharp cheese! no-bean chili!!!!!!!!!!

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

honey wheat buns

beef hot dogs

fried onions

spicy brown mustard

Put chili on that shit.

Or mayonnaise and shoestring fries and diced tomato

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited July 2010

4e only.

It's... for the best.

Ahem.

What about AD&D -> 3e?

I'd say it was on a par with 3.5 -> 4, you have things like feats to deal with which simply did not exist back then

Let me put it this way.

You can pick up a 2e module and run it in 3e on the fly.

You simply cannot do this with a 3e module in 4e. You would have to totally re-build every encounter.

Hachface on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hehehe

I sleep with a mouthguard because I grind my teeth otherwise. In my dream tonight no one could understand what I was saying because I had the mouthguard in my mouth and I couldn't take it out.

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2010

I JUST FINISHED IT SKIPPY

READ MY EDIT

GODDDD

look man

that's fucking plagiarism

I'm not gonna let you get away with passing the author's ideas off as your own

nope

skippydumptruck on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010

honey wheat buns

beef hot dogs

fried onions

spicy brown mustard

i'm also kind of craving a dark beer with it (which is super weird for me). i think it's the dark mustard making me think beer.

Organichu on
    edited July 2010
    hehehe

I sleep with a mouthguard because I grind my teeth otherwise. In my dream tonight no one could understand what I was saying because I had the mouthguard in my mouth and I couldn't take it out.

I have dentures now because I never wore my mouthguard.

Hachface on
This discussion has been closed.